Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Tuesday 19th November 2019

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2019, 3:46 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #1 of 22 (2777 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 19th November 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Doncaster Rovers 1 Scunthorpe Utd 1
Central League North at Cantley Park
Free entry, Teamsheet available Att c50

This was initially a Scunny home game scheduled to be played tonight at Bottesford but was switched to Cantley Park yesterday due to pitch problems. The ground is at the far end of the main Cantley Park area and is Donnys training base. The pitch was roped off with spectators restricted to the near side. The far side has permanent dug outs and behind the left hand goal there are two small bits of cover which appear to be use as storage areas. Next to the changing rooms, there's a cafeteria where we managed to locate free timesheets and to secure free coffees.

The home side took the lead after about ten minutes but Scunthorpe had the bulk of possession which they consistently squandered. As the game went on it appeared to be only a matter of time before they got their act together up front and it was no surprise when Lewis Butroid headed in on 77 minutes to get the equaliser. A nice unexpected bonus tick in the company of Chris Roberts.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2019, 10:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 22 (2623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another getting some Central League action this afternoon.

Grimsby 1-1 Walsall. K.O 14-02
Played at Blundell Park
Adm £3, no paper or any sign of the teams.

Great to come back here, my last visit was 1980, haven't a clue what has changed as didn't even recall the stadium being hemmed in by terraced houses.
Decent enough game with Walsall being far superior, Grimsby got a late equaliser from a corner, but apart from that the Walsall keeper had an afternoon off.

Shelley 0-2 St Helens. K.O. 20-02
NWCL Div 1 North
Adm £5/3, prog was from postponed game a few weeks ago.
Att, 42, Stana H/C

For some strange reason I hadn't read what a decent ground this was, certainly a welcome addition to step 6 compared with some of the dross seen in the past couple of seasons. Shifnal Shrew mentioned how the standard had gone down in this league, but sadly it's the same with all leagues that have expanded.
Also a handy place to come midweek with university accommodation a short walk from the ground.

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Nov 19, 2019, 10:56 PM

Post #3 of 22 (2573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

RAMSGATE v HERNE BAY. Velocity Trophy. Kick Off: 19.48 i.m.t. Result: 1-0. Admission £5 for old people. Programme: £1, half price from the original fixture of October 8th. Attendance: 122.

They may be playing pants in the league but they're fab. in the Velocity Trophy. Undefeated Ramsgate won their group by a mile and are now into the knockout phase when the big boys enter. A dream draw in the next round, a home tie with Leatherhead to look forward to.

Fittingly Rory Smith scored the goal in his last appearance for the Rams before trying his luck in Australian football. As always Paul Bowden-Browns acerbic programme notes proved highly entertaining and if I was previous manager Nick Davies I'd be searching the Yellow Pages for a good libel lawyer.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 19, 2019, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 22 (2568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Round 1 Replay

Eastleigh 3 Stourbridge 0

admission £10/£5, programme £2-00, attendance 1509 (156 away)
16th National League v 13th Southern League Premier Central
After a pretty even first half, the home team took the lead with a dodgy penalty, and then clinched the tie after a red card and a converted free-kick. The visitors looked good before the penalty, and kept plugging away, but in the end were second best . Given their recent Cup results and performance here, I still find it hard to see why they are still in the Southern League.
Two early chances for the hosts: in only the second minute a great cross from the left saw Hollands unmarked in the middle rise to head well over. Then a good ball put Rendell through but he took time to control, and he also shot over. The visitors then had a couple of shots saved by Stryjek, both from distance, from Brown and Lloyd. From a Spitfires free-kick Atkinson then had a header saved by Wren, who then had to push a cross/shot from Smart away. Miley also had a shot wide. We then had a flashpoint as Tonks went down in a heap and Stourbridge screamed for a red, but the ref didn't agree. As a ball was cleared, Tilt then tried an audacious shot from the halfway line, but Stryjek was alert and saved. We then had a period of stoppages and injuries, but at the end of the half we had a bit more action, with Lloyd's deflected shot saved by Stryjek, then a great move between Boyce and Miley set up the onrushing Hollands, who missed another good chance, and then a Turton shot was deflected to Lloyd, whose shot was blocked by an Eastleigh defender near the line. HT 0-0.
After the break the home team stepped it up a bit; a Seaman free-kick was saved by Wren; then Smart cut in from the right, fell over, and the ref gave what seemed from my viewpoint to be a very soft penalty indeed. Rendell converted efficiently and Eastleigh had the lead after 50 mins. Rendell then headed back a deep cross to set up Hollands but he shot over again. Sub Grocott then had an effort for the visitors deflected over. Another good home move saw two shots blocked, then we had the second crucial moment on 69 mins as Hollands picked up a loose ball and bore down on goal. Williams brought him down just outside the area - definite free-kick and red card. To make it worse for the visitors, Seaman's free-kick was well saved by Wren, but Smart followed up to convert the rebound - 2-0, and he celebrated with an impressive back-flip. The home team were now in control and Smart nearly increased the lead further, a good dribble ending in a shot deflected wide. The corner wasn't cleared and Johnson marked a rare appearance by stabbing in the loose ball for his side's third goal. It could have been more as the home team had one goal ruled out for offside and Hollands was denied by a wonderful save by Wren (also given offside). Wren also saved a free-kick by Payne, but it was all over by then, and Eastleigh can now look forward to a visit in Round 2 by the Alex, at 1730 on Sat 30th Nov. There was also the little matter of the prize money from today, plus the TV money for the Crewe game, amounting to roughly £100K.
A surprisingly good crowd for this one (even if it looked less then the official figure) and a great turnout and support from the visitors.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 19, 2019, 10:59 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 19, 2019, 11:08 PM

Post #5 of 22 (2543 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westfields 5 Tuffley Rovers 1

Allpay Park: Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division

This was my first visit to Allpay Park for over a month after having watched a number of matches at the ground during the opening two months of the season. With the under-18 team at Westfields having entered the Gloucestershire Floodlit Youth League, it means there have been regular midweek fixtures at Allpay Park, after having not spent as much time at the ground during the previous visit. The last time I watched the first team in action was early last month in a Herefordshire County Challenge Cup tie at Ledbury Town a week after having seen the Hereford club entertain Longlevens in an Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division fixture. Westfields have also made progress in the FA Vase in recent weeks, having recorded a hard fought 2-1 victory at Leicester Nirvana last week, setting-up a home tie at the end of this month with their FA Cup conquerors, Lutterworth Town of the United Counties League. The Allpay Park club’s form has been virtually faultless since their summer lateral move from the Midland League Premier Division. Westfields stood five points clear of Fairford Town at the summit of the table, having played one additional fixture, after enjoying a 6-0 home victory over Holmer Green in their last league outing. Opponents Tuffley Rovers sat mid-table in the Premier Division table after the Gloucester-based club recorded a 4-3 victory at lowly Holmer Green on the weekend.

Westfields just needed seven minutes to open the scoring this evening when Aidan Thomas latched on to a long clearance from goalkeeper Ian Havard and the striker drove into the penalty area to fire past the Tuffley Rovers custodian. The hosts doubled their lead 11 minutes when Thomas was on hand to put the ball into the back of the net after the Hereford club broke quickly from their own half of the pitch and saw two initial efforts blocked by the visiting defence. The match was seemingly over as a contest just a minute later when talisman Paul Jones found the back of the net with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area. A fourth goal arrived for Westfields, with four minutes remaining on the clock just before the interval, when they broke down the left flank and Thomas latched on to a well-timed through ball before caressing the ball into the back of the net to complete his first-half treble. The second period saw less goal scoring action despite the home team creating further opportunities and credit must go to the Tuffley Rovers for making a number of quality saves to keep the score down. Westfields added a fifth goal some 17 minutes into the second-half when the home team pounced on some hesitancy in the home defence and the loose ball was back-heeled into the path of Richard Greaves to find the net. The Gloucester-based outfit netted a stoppage time consolation when a delightful effort from the left edge of the penalty area was curled over the head of Havard and found the back of the net.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 476
Matches: 93
New Grounds: 16

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Nov 19, 2019, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #6 of 22 (2535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North West Counties League Division One South
Cammell Laird 1 Cheadle Heath Nomads 1
Admission £5, prof £1.50
Hot drinks £1, food available
Att. 80

I have seen a few games in this division in the last couple of seasons and most have been pretty decent but the first half of this was anything but. Laird had a couple of chances, Nomads did nothing. The second was far better although hardly flooded with chances. Lairds missed a penalty and within a couple of minutes trailed. Then Nomads missed from the spot and looked to be heading for all three points until Lairds scrambled in an equaliser four minutes into added time.

First time here since the club reformed. No real changes at the ground bar the tea bar can't now be accessed from inside. The old social club over the road is now a housing estate. There are plans to build a new clubhouse inside the ground and stacks of bricks were stored inside the ground. No idea on a timescale for this.

Pre match I walked to town for a pint in The John Mansfield (Spoons). The Lacons Affinity was excellent.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 19, 2019, 11:15 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 22 (2527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 1(R)
Bromley 0-1 Bristol Rovers
Att 4,558 inc 200+ away fans
Adm £15 (all ticket sellout), prog £2.50

Despite the game being shown live on BT, a huge crowd turned up to see if Bromley could finally pop their cherry and beat an EFL club in the Cup. Alas the wait continues.

A game of few chances that never caught fire. Rovers scored in the third minute and offered little else; Bromley had most of the ball, moved it around well and put some good crosses in but generally lacked potency in the final third. Looked like an equaliser had arrived with around 15 to go but apparently the long throw evaded everyone on its way into the net. No Alamo at the end as Rovers did what they had to to see it out.
(EDIT - in the first half Cheek ran through and put the ball in the net for Bromley but was flagged offside. Didn't seem too controversial at the time but BT's highlights prove he was on. Where's VAR when you need it!)

Hard to see a two division ago between these two. Bromley I'm sure will go close to promotion and they'll have learned from tonight. As for the Gas, I've seen them twice this season and they haven't impressed on either occasion, but they won both games so are obviously doing something right.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Nov 20, 2019, 1:13 AM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 19, 2019, 11:16 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #8 of 22 (2524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool Prem. Division 1. KO 20:00. (F&N). Crowd 140/150.

Red Rum 2 v 4 The Lute

Match played at the Liverpool FA Ground 3G. Top v 3rd with The Lute 2 points behind and a game in hand. This 3G does not have a barriered spectator area inside the cage so, as usual, most of the spectators stood on the pitch!

Cracking game but a slow start. From the outset Lute looked the better side but didn't score for 35 minutes and when they did, from a corner, they added a second a couple of minutes later from a great run and shot. No additions to the score in the remainder of the half.

Less than 10 minutes into the second period the referee awarded Red Rum a penalty, allowing them to pull a goal back. However less than 5 minutes later the official awarded a penalty at the other end despite the vehement appeals of Red Rum, who claimed the keeper had got the ball. I was in a perfect position to see the decision as I was standing at that end, against the fence about 20 feet from the offence, ref was spot on. Penalty taken, scored disallowed for encroachment, retaken, scored, disallowed for encroachment, same player!. Third time lucky in it went for 1-3. 4th added and the home side scored a late consolation in the 89th minute.

One unusual event, the first time it has happened to me. The lute forced a corner shortly after their penalty and as I was still standing in the same spot, the referee came over. I thought he was going to ask me to move but instead asked quietly if I thought it had been a penalty earlier!! I assured him it was, he seemed very pleased!

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 12:33 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #9 of 22 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Uhlsport Hellenic Premier
Nolan Oils Ground
Ardley United 1 Easington Sports 2
Admission £3 (got given a codger rate - no question asked) Paper included Attendance; 60-ish

Good tick; very friendly people with clubhouse at one end and some Atcost-style covered standing at the top end. Why Top End? Pitch has a noticeable slope!
Local rivals; because of the weather their last game was in the League against each other nearly 3 weeks ago and the visitors (at home) came out 3-0 winners. It was very equal tonight but ES just shaded it.
ES had a plan and stuck to it; the home side tried every which way to pull them out of shape but just couldn't do it. ES were more direct but good value for it; not mindless hoof but seeing an opportunity to put the home side on the back foot with a searching channel ball. They led on 13 with a swivel shot from Walton that found the net. The home side hit the bar on 28 and the away keeper made couple of good blocks but ES seemed content to sit back and counter. HT 0-1.
More counter-attack play produced a fine goal on 69 for the away side; cross, shot parried and rebound thumped in by Swann. They also hit the post on 75 when it seemed easier to score; it made for a jittery end when London netted on 82 for thye home side; keeper beaten at his near post.
Match petered out as ES protected its lead but probably deserved overall. Good local derby; home via Witney, Highworth and Avebury in 110.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

Windy
First Team Sub

Nov 20, 2019, 3:22 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 22 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Midland League Premier Division - Stourport Swifts 1 Walsall Wood 2 - Admission £6 - Programme £2 - Attendance approx 80

Set off at lunchtime to see my daughter in Birmingham then to either visit Tividale or Stourport, and with the former called off mid afternoon, the choice was made for me. The Midland League Prem is an intriguing division at present with so many teams in with a chance at the top of the table and this win for Walsall Wood meant that they jumped from seventh position at the start of play, straight to the top of the tree. More games are likely to be taken in, in this league in the months to come, if the closeness remains.

It was the home team who took the lead after 9 minutes when Martin Sleven picked out Jack Downing in the box and his first attempt appeared to be blocked but his second try found the bottom left corner. Wood equalised on 39 with a nice move involving Cameron Lee, who found Lewis Had who in turn passed sideways to the new signing Connor Deards to score from 10 yards.

The winning goal came just before the hour when Lewis Clarke tugged at Had, and the referee, Mr Roberts, who is one of the smallest officials I’ve ever seen, pointed to the spot, from where Mitch Tolley made no mistake firing into the left corner. Late on, the Swifts sub, Matt Hanson rattled the bar from 20 yards but Wood held out for three valuable points.

Interesting to see Mark Danks, the much travelled 35 year old, playing for Swifts where he is also assistant manager these days. Downing for the home team appeared to be one of the biggest moaners around, berating the referee and one of his assistants at every opportunity and it was no surprise to see him receive a yellow card eventually and a spell in the sin bin. I thought it should have happened much earlier, but the referees revenge was sweet as the ten minute spell away from the action, actually appeared to be nearer 15 minutes with the home bench now having a vent at the referee instead.

Home via Birmingham relatively easily with just one section of the M6 closed, but an easy reroute got around that without too much delay.

Youngster was at Grimsby’s Central League match and mentioned that there were no teamsheets. I experienced the same at Blundell Park a couple of seasons ago and was told that they don’t print them for reserves or Under 23’s matches, which I found a bit odd bearing in mind that the facilities are there as they print them for first team matches and if cost is the issue, a small charge of 10p or 20p would easily cover their photocopying costs. They’re happy to charge £3 for admission, unlike many other clubs, so the least they should do is let the public know who is actually playing. Rant over.

(This post was edited by Windy on Nov 20, 2019, 3:23 AM)

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 8:12 AM

Post #11 of 22 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Noted the home teams unbeaten start to the season and given the oppositions just below half way league position, the assumption that this should end up as being nothing other than a straightforward home win. By the end it was another example to exemplify the notion that you should not assume anything. Cracking evenings entertainment and one of the matches of the season at Reynolds Field between...

Hanwell Town 3 v 3 Chipstead - Isthmian League Division 1 South Central
Prog 36 pages £2.00 - Admission £8.00 - Att 111

....Have stated before that Reynolds Field should feature more on the midweek agenda, easy to reach on the Central Line and approx. 10 minutes walk from Perivale LU, typical Level 4 facilities of a seated stand and cover behind the goal and a untypical Level 4 provision of a very large electronic scoreboard and most importantly, that in all the visits since 1989 I have rarely seen a poor game there.

For the duration of the contest, what trashed the assumption was a surprisingly refreshing policy of attacking from the visitors as they were not prepared to be Hanwell's latest notch on their excellent start to the league season. The whole emphasis on attack was also surprising given that the visitors named just two substitutes and both of these were on the pitch by half time. From this perspective it was welcome to see such an approach especially in the second half when they simply could have played deeper and deeper but even near the end Hanwell who were in search of a winner were clearly conscious of the visitors attacking prowess on the break.

Notice was served by the visitors with them taking the lead on 3 minutes with a deft left wing cross from Karn Miller-Neave being nodded in by Allan Tait at the near post and for the next 20 minutes it was genuinely an end to end contest with both teams attacking purposefully. Oliver Pain in the Chipstead made a couple of important saves from Gianni Crichlou before he was beaten by Harry Rush who latched onto a loose ball just outside the 6 yard area to angle past and the assumption was that on levelling Hanwell would go on and win comfortably.

Sure that this notion was not even thought of by the visitors who continued to storm forward. The early introduction of one of their substitutes Callum Hart was important as he was quick and prepared to 'get stuck in' Perhaps a little too 'stuck in' for his first contribution when he followed through on Hugo Sobte in the Hanwell goal causing him much discomfort and also very nearly starting a brawl, though he did find himself on the turf after being pushed over by David Taylor who was also cautioned. Soon after Hart adopted a more legitimate approach exploiting a large area of space on the left but Sobte diverted wide.

Chipstead's continued attacking prowess restored their lead when Sam Clayton's cross flicked off the thigh of Sam Page and then further flicked off the thigh of Callum Woodstock past his own keeper before the hosts levelled right on half time when Tayshan Hayden-Smith placed a shot between Pain and his near post.

The breathless constantly attacking nature of the first half was replicated into the second and what contributed was Chipstead once again surprising by restoring their lead within minutes of the restart. Good advantage played by the man in black who could have ceased play when Dan Moody was upended just inside the Hanwell half, however the advantage played allowed Sam Bell to use his pace to remain one step ahead of the trailing Hanwell defence and placed past Sobte.

The end to end flow continued with the hosts hitting the bar with a powerful header from Gareth Chendlik, however Hanwell had to be constantly vigilant about the visitors forays forward and it needed a superb flying save from Sobte touching a drive from Moody which clearly took a deflection against the bar. However, Hanwell's determination yielded a leveller with a corner from Laney from this angle taking a slight deflection and finding it's way into the far corner. Both teams continued to attack constantly in the final minutes, but by then there was a degree of tiredness prevailing with many players and Hanwell in the end were grateful to hold onto their unbeaten league record and extend their lead at the top of the evolving table, Chipstead's enthusiastic approach was fully deserving of at least a point in a contest that hopefully will remain in the receding memory banks. Noted that Andy F of Hemel Hempstead/Portsmouth/This parish fame was also present as per his Twitter and I await his valued contribution on this contest with interest.

Simple cross London journey there and back and noted with a tenuous link between Reynolds (Field) and Reynards that the RM17 Fox population is becoming more numerous with more of their brethren out n'about at 23.30 than people....

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 20, 2019, 8:18 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #12 of 22 (2124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland Qualifying Cup Round Two
Kelty Hearts v Berwick Rangers, 4-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 295, Admission £7, Programme £2, Coffee £1, Teamsheets available
At New Central Park, Kelty

Berwick must have set some sort of a record – that’s six different first team Cup competitions they have been knocked out of this season and it still isn’t the end of November! It’s difficult times to be a Berwick supporter as the club struggle to maintain any level of mediocrity.

Kelty should have bene one up after ten minutes but were thwarted by premature whistling. The referee blew for a foul when he should have played advantage – Nathan Austin finished the move and was unhappy that the goal was disallowed.

Kelty’s performance was professional and clinical. Being picky I suppose they could have won by more but a 4-0 up win is comfortable in anybody’s terms. Cammy Russell grabbed the first with a deft finish on 18 minutes. Scott Linton has been credited with the second although it looked like an og to me. Berwick were unhappy as they had a man down injured at the time but Kelty also had a player down so they have no real complaint.

Nathan Austin and Thomas Reilly Added further goals as it was one way traffic towards the Berwick goal. New signing Greg Donald was sent off for Berwick for picking up a second booking as their defence wilted in the face of constant Kelty pressure.

A decent crowd of 295 turned out on a miserable night. The temperature was below zero and sleety rain swept across the ground for most of the game. The Berwick support was small – probably 15 tops. The group of wee laddies with drums and loudhailers backing the team were a bit of an annoyance but all credit to them for supporting their local side. Kelty as a town has had precious little to shout about in recent decades and if the football team can engender some civic pride then it must be encouraged. Some drumming lessons wouldn’t go amiss, however. The programme was a double issue from Saturday’s 7-1 League win over Edinburgh Uni.

The self-styled “Maroon Machine” is rolling on at a phenomenal pace this season. Barry Ferguson seems to have learned from his mistakes of last season. He’s always keen to field his strongest side and is prepared to put games beyond doubt rather than sitting on narrow leads. With strength in depth to their squad Kelty must be favourites to win the Lowland League title.

mxhornet
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 8:31 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #13 of 22 (2108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich United - 0 Walsham-le-Willows - 1
Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup Third Round
Plantation Park
Attendance - 65ish
Admission - £8
Programme - £1

We were told not to expect goals as the Plantation Park jinx was present. Despite him being spot on, the game was decent enough.
WLW are on a good run that has seen them rise from the bottom of the Premier Division and on the night were a match for their much higher placed hosts. After an even but goalless first half, NU showed much more intent early on in the second half but it WLW who got the goal after 61 minutes and despite both sides still looking to attack towards the end WLW looked more likely to extend their lead than NU force penalties.
After the recent local midweek earlier than advertised kick offs normal service was resumed with a only slightly late 1946 by my watch start.Several local hoppers present including the previously mentioned jinx who at least saw a goal.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 9:29 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #14 of 22 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southampton U23 3 Royal Navy 0
Hampshire Senior Cup. Att; 110 ish.
Admission £5 with free teamsheet.
Played at AFC Totton

This was a game that was on my radar as soon as The Navy had defeated Christchurch in the previous round. Mainly because I enjoy seeing Forces sides in action and also as it is such a bizarre pairing, a premier league U23 side against the forces in competitive action, it was too good to turn down. Added to the fact it represented a ground tick, it really was too good.
Sadly, my enthusiasm for the game was not shared by Saints. Their twitter feed had nothing on the day to confirm the game was on, and it was only the the fixture page under the ‘U23’ section that showed any hint, but no write up in the lead to the game. Even a call to Southampton, requesting was the game still on and is there admission to the public was met with ‘Unfortunately sir I don’t have that information’. The Navy’s football twitter feed was no help, the Hampshire FA website confirmed the date for the game, so I set off in good time with Eastleigh’s cup replay as a back up.
I needn’t have worried as upon arrival all was good. However, I think Southampton could have been a bit more proactive in pushing this one. In pre season, I saw Halstead Town play the Parachute Regiment and no admission was taken but a donation could be chucked in the bucket for the Paras charity, and it appeared they did well on the night. Could Southampton not have done the same ?
Anyway, gripe over, the game was an interesting one. Saints young, quick, lithe skill full players against the more mature, robust and shall we say in some cases, bigger built opponents who were happy to go in hard. Many of the Navy players had a bit about them too and it was clear that some have played somewhere in the pyramid in the past.
It took 36 minutes for the deadlock to be broken, a penalty awarded after a clear foul was dispatched confidently into the corner and it was no more than Southampton deserved although it was not entirely one sided. A couple of minutes after the break, they doubled their lead when the Navy keeper allowed a cross to slip from his grasp and the home striker had an empty net from two yards. The scoring was complete in the dying minutes when the Navy, by then down to ten men having used all their subs and picked up an injury, were dispossessed on the edge of the box and the home forward made no mistake in the one on one.
Saints had squandered a few good chances prior to that through a bit of naivety and trying to be too fancy but were worthy winners against decent opposition.
AFC Totton is the home for some of the Southampton U23 and ladies games and I guess is known to many on here. I was impressed with the ground. The large stand gives excellent views over the pitch and there are decent uncovered terracing along the flanks heading to all four corners with hard standing behind both goals. Another batch of covered bench seating sits opposite the stand. Mention too of the pitch, it has seen a lot of football, but was in excellent nick.
A surreal moment before the game was when I went to the tea bar and was served by non other than Wayne Shaw, the former Sutton keeper of ‘Piegate’ fame. He is now involved at Totton, although I believe in a non playing role.
Decent journey home in around two hours completing a good night out.

BA21
Youth Team Sub

Nov 20, 2019, 11:57 AM

Team(s): Yeovil Town

Post #15 of 22 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Portland United 3 Solent University 4
Wessex League Premier division
Admission £6.00
Programme 80p
Tea/coffee £1.00
Attendance 101

It's a long time since I visited the old Grove Corner for its final game and several years since I was last here at New Grove Corner, a venue that is full of character. Built from Portland Stone everything is made to last with a great seated stand on the far side of the pitch and a substantial section of seated cover set behind the near goal. Raised grass banking provides a great view along the touchline opposite the stand with hard standing completing the ground layout at the far end.

A great attacking display from lowly Solent University stunned the second placed hosts. Portland clawed back a 1-3 deficit but were flawed by a 92nd minute strike. Thanks to my sister for the drive down from Yeovil. I recommend the programme which is excellent.

Grounds 663 International/Football League/Senior non-league
Football League 2019/20 86/92 - last 12/05/19 Tottenham Hotspur vs Everton, Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Fixtures at 120 Football League grounds
Last new - 23/11/19 Wrexham vs Yeovil Town, National League
New 2019/20 Abergavenny Town, Chepstow Town, Lizard Argyle, United Services Portsmouth, Hutton, Ludgershall Sports, Wrexham

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Nov 20, 2019, 2:39 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #16 of 22 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BA21] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oxhey Jets 2 Harefield United 4
SSM Premier
Boundary stadium

Admission: £6
Programme: £1
Attendance: 55 h/c

Competitive game, Harefield always on top however it was the home team who scored first, but Harefield were soon on terms and scored in the last minute of the first half to go in Two, one up.

Home support were not worried as they said they always play better in the second half and seemed they were right as Oxhey equalised as soon as the second half started but that was about as good as it got for them.

Harefield then dominated, went in front, had a penalty saved, got a 4th goal and it was only the home keeper who stopped then from adding to the total.

Loved the ground, ramshackle , not sure how the path round the pitch passesd any health and safety rules but it had a sort of charm, with most of the crowd on the raised open terracing but a few did stand in front of the small 30 seat stand stuck behind the corner flag!!

Been some criticism of football going a bit over board about Remembrance day, with one club even having a bloke dressed up as a poppy last week, but here at Oxhey the event is important, the club are linked to the local RAF side and they also always hold a commemoration at the game nearest the 20th November as 8 years ago today one of their former players, Tom Lake was killed in action in Afghanistan, good to see the club never forgets him.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #17 of 22 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the aforementioned Hanwell game well documented by TT and agree totally with his summary. Best game I've seen this season by far with both teams playing great football spiced up with a few tasty tackles. For once a case of CBA worked in my favour as I was heading for Marlow Utd but as it was pretty fresh weather wise and my car was parked at Hanwell I went there instead. Key in lock at 10.15 as I just beat the J13 slip road closure as they were throwing the cones down when I turned off the M25Smile

Hertspireite
Junior Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 5:34 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield FC

Post #18 of 22 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Peterborough United 2 - 0 Stevenage (HT 1--0)
Weston Homes Stadium, London Road, Peterborough, Cambs
FA Cup Round 1 Replay

Adm £15/10, Programme £1, Tea £2.20, Parking £3
Att 3593

I had planned to park at the Pleasure Fair Meadows car park right across the road for £1 an hour, but with the possibility of extra time and penalties how long should I put on the ticket? However there were signs at the back of this car park to the Railway World Charity car park for a flat fee of £3. This appears to be the terminus of the Nene Valley Railway and a lot of the football traffic seemed to be using this.

The club shop was open but I didn't go in. Three stands of the stadium were open. The Stevenage supporters appeared to be making more noise, being led by someone with a drum.

The first half wasn't very exciting with Peterborough scoring the only goal. Stevenage appeared to play with a bit more enthusiasm after the break, helped by a couple of tactical subs, but they still couldn't capitalise on their chances, shooting wide, high or just passing directly to the opposition. Peterborough also missed an open goal, so by my reckoning the scoreline should have been 3-2. Peterborough deserved their win playing the better game.

My journey home down the A1, was also slightly longer due to me forgetting about the closure around the A14 roadworks...

2018 -19 season. 7 new grounds.
2019 -20 season 24 new grounds.
Newest ground visited The Van Elle Welfare Ground, Pinxton FC, Derbyshire, Central Midlands Football League South, Level 11

Tim

Nov 20, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #19 of 22 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at:

Stourport Swifts 1 Walsall Wood 2 (Midland Football League)

Can't argue with your match report, other than to observe that while I agree Downing was champion moaner, there were a dozen more who ran him close - very tiresome after a while. I'd have had Downing in the sin bin midway through the first half. Amazingly, a few of the visitors started moaning at the referee and one assistant before the game had even kicked off. It was Drew Canavan who hit the bar near the end, by the way. Not the best game I've ever seen... I hope you see better stuff in this league in the coming months, but I wouldn't bet on it.

£4 in for a codger and my programme was £1. I think admission is £7 for pre-codgers. Building work is going on at Walshes Meadow, in the form of an extension to the bar, and Swifts will enter the third decade of the 21st century with indoor toilets.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 21, 2019, 10:53 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #20 of 22 (824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hertspireite] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Peterborough United 2 - 0 Stevenage (HT 1--0)
Weston Homes Stadium, London Road, Peterborough, Cambs
FA Cup Round 1 Replay

Adm £15/10, Programme £1, Tea £2.20, Parking £3
Att 3593

I had planned to park at the Pleasure Fair Meadows car park right across the road for £1 an hour, but with the possibility of extra time and penalties how long should I put on the ticket? However there were signs at the back of this car park to the Railway World Charity car park for a flat fee of £3. This appears to be the terminus of the Nene Valley Railway and a lot of the football traffic seemed to be using this.

The club shop was open but I didn't go in. Three stands of the stadium were open. The Stevenage supporters appeared to be making more noise, being led by someone with a drum.

The first half wasn't very exciting with Peterborough scoring the only goal. Stevenage appeared to play with a bit more enthusiasm after the break, helped by a couple of tactical subs, but they still couldn't capitalise on their chances, shooting wide, high or just passing directly to the opposition. Peterborough also missed an open goal, so by my reckoning the scoreline should have been 3-2. Peterborough deserved their win playing the better game.

My journey home down the A1, was also slightly longer due to me forgetting about the closure around the A14 roadworks...

You sound like you enjoyed it more than I did. I thought the whole thing was dire. It was only in the closing minutes when Stevenage had no option but to go forward that it opened up and chances began to appear at both ends. The better team won but it was one of those nights when A1 roadworks seemed an enticing alternative. Unsure

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Nov 21, 2019, 7:15 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #21 of 22 (655 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Hanwell Town 3 v 3 Chipstead - Isthmian League Division 1 South Central
Prog 36 pages £2.00 - Admission £8.00 - Att 111

Noted that Andy F of Hemel Hempstead/Portsmouth/This parish fame was also present as per his Twitter and I await his valued contribution on this contest with interest.

.. yes indeed, I too was amongst the gathered, at Powerday Stadium come Reynolds Field, down Perivale Lane .. Smile

Entry - £4 (half price with Prem / EFL season ticket); Prog - £2; Badge - £3 .. and refreshment taken from a wide variety.
Weather – felt cold but at least no wind; Travel - A3, M25 and in on the A40.
Colours – all black with white stripes to shirt for the Geordies .. all yellow for Chips

Well with the Tudors on international duty and Hereford Lads still unable to play at home .. the fixture list was assessed and simplicity reigned .. not sure why I’d not been here .. I guess this night was the game in waiting .. and what a game, so perfectly summed up by our great timmytabby .. just a shame I didn’t know he was attending, as we’ve still to meet and shake a hand .. one day.

On arrival it was just a case of fulfilling the advertised “half price deal” and showing a “League” season ticket .. with a very enthusiastic young turnstile operator asking “who’ve you got” .. and a bit stunned when I showed all things Pompey .. she seeking assurances that I’d actually lived and driven up from the South Coast .. a distinct “why” in her voice .. made even more intriguing, when she said one of the Club’s officials was a Southampton fanatic .. so, I quickly offered the Hemel season ticket as back up to appease, although that was not much help, for she was reminded of her visit to Beaconsfield in the FA Cup, 2nd Round Qualifier and all things a Tudor supporter would wish to forget, the 1-0 host win .. however, she loved the hopping story bit and it allowed me to pass on through at a reduced rate .. she wishing me well and keenly directing me on to the bar, where my interest in a badge would be rewarded.

As reported above, the game was indeed a truly great match .. I was hoping that Chipstead would offer the leaders a game but not expecting them to take the lead on three occasions, luckily the woodwork saving them a couple of times, to deny the hosts a win .. a truly great effort from both Clubs and especially the visitors, who deserved to get something out of a well contested game.

.. and talking of woodwork .. what a night for DIY connoisseurs .. as the ground has been receiving many a “4 be 2”, thanks to sponsor and Buildbase UK support .. yes, the fresh cut of softwood was floating across the night sky, as I toured the perimeter to find out how Clubhouse pictures, of the once old ground, had been converted from concrete post and rail, into full advertising enclosed, with sponsors Budweiser and Powerday dominant .. all set off by that sparkling scoreboard at half way.

Answer .. vertical timber post beside concrete post, four rows of horizontal and all faced with aluminium composite and moulded plastic capping’s .. nearly finished too .. yes, the Club are definitely preparing for another level .. which will be complimented by aluminium roof covering to car park end terrace .. and the present Atcost and Clubhouse found near side .. the three panels of weldmesh on wheels to protect players entry, a nice invention .. and the clatter of boots coming down from changing room balcony, with an enlarged elevated timber deck adjacent, all forming a backdrop to the main building.

Yes, a truly great setting on a magical night .. and a reminder of why we set out to enjoy the Non-League game .. as these Clubs played their hearts out .. and it was certainly one to remember.

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

royals26

Nov 21, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #22 of 22 (580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Tuesday 19th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

HELLENIC Premier

Gerard Buxton Sports Ground

Royal Wootton Bassett Town 0-1 Fairford Town

Adm: £7.50 inc prog

Att: Hc c 100 official 93

Directions leave M4 at jn 16 - head west towards Wotton Bassett skirting around it on the northern edge on the on A3102 continuing west at Coped Hall roundabout where it joins the B4042 signed Malmesbury,
Brinkworth, Cricklade and Ashton Keynes. Ground is up on the right past Jubilee Lakes, Ballards Ash Sports and the Rugby Club.

Facilities: Car park quite busy - plush clubhouse - facility opened about 4 years ago; 2nd or 3rd visit I think? Hot food available from a hatch inside the ground and vitally soup on offer.
There were other choices mostly savoury pastries from behind the bar.

Sadly only Sharps Bitter variants on draught - Doom Bar or Wolf Rock - opted for a half of the latter. Was a tad nippy for lager.

Match: very tight affair - Fairford shaded the first half but were under the cosh for most of the 2nd - grabbing the only goal of the game on the break.

HT

0-1 small forward allowed to turn inside box and fired into the top corner.

The visitors cause helped greatly by a 2nd Yellow to the home no 15.

back home on a mercifully clear m'way via Kings Chef for supper. Tongue

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3