Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Administration: Messages from / Questions to Administrators:
This Forum Software

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

steve walker
Administrator

Oct 31, 2019, 9:22 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 60 (1657 views)
Shortcut
This Forum Software Can't Post or Reply Privately

There have been a couple of threads regarding minor issues with the forum in last few days.

There are two reasons why forum problems like this appear to some users and not others.
One are roguue adverts. These are not exclusive to this site just because you don't happen to have seen them elsewhere yet. The NLM ad feed comes from the same source as thousands of other sites.

The other is your setup that you are using as the forum software is so old that when an operating system upgrade happens it causes a problem like the 'you have been banned' that affected some users previously. This went away not because I did anything but because the software issuers recognised that it caused a problem to legacy software and issued a patch to fix it that you wouldn't even have noticed.
Now we can either keep the forum software as it is and accept that problems like this will occur occasionally and just suck them up or we can move to a completely new platform that has regular software updates and keeps on top of all the changes.

It will require everyone re-registering as there is no import facility to new software from this that I know of. It will look completely different as these templates are unique to this forum software but I can recreate all the current sections as they are but it will still have the same adverts so it won't solve that half of the problem.

The old forum would be archived but stay online and the new one would take over. No forum posts would be lost, it would all still be accessible on the archived site

It's over to you guys and girls and anyone not identifying as either... tell me what you would like me to do with your forum or ask me any questions so we can work out what to do..... I'm not too fussed either way.

Cheers..... Steve

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 31, 2019, 9:34 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 60 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maintain the status quo.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 31, 2019, 10:37 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #3 of 60 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The argument against the status quo is the legacy software will get farther and farther behind industry norms. The errors seen by some will keep escalating and patching will be needed so frequently one day even the developers may call time on it. Do we bite the bullet and transfer now before this happens, or do we wait until the whole thing is so out of date it just begs to be put out of its misery.

I vote for sooner rather than later.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

dottirofhod

Oct 31, 2019, 10:51 PM

Post #4 of 60 (1632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

OK then, whats the cost of all this new super duper all dancing system?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 31, 2019, 11:00 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #5 of 60 (1629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Back to Steve for that.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

dottirofhod

Oct 31, 2019, 11:07 PM

Post #6 of 60 (1619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have no probs with this, I myself have not suffered too much (touches wood} with these pesky problems we've had but if we can get an update on this it could well be worth it in the long run.
But all a question of cost.
Begging bowl again Steve? No problem if absolutey essential to get an upgrade.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Nov 1, 2019, 2:14 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town FC

Post #7 of 60 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm open minded on this, probs. 55/45 in favour of newer software, though.

My major query is this - will archived pages (inc. TK's old content) remain accessible as the older platforms drop further & further out of the reach of the newer technologies? I guess this is VHS/DVD question repeated...

Professional cretin.

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 1, 2019, 8:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 60 (1475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is no reason why new forum software should incur any cost at all. There are plenty of free software packages out there. Personally I would be looking at paid for software as they are normally linked in to resources that can expand the forum into more of a community hub rather than just a forum. For instance hosting blogs, hosting image galleries etc etc. If we are going to do an upgrade then lets do it properly with a view to the future even.
No there will be no begging bowl, ad revenue will cover it as there will be more content.
The archived forum ie this current one would remain online. It's just that all the threads would be read only. I don't think there is anything to fear from them suddenly becoming unreadable, the software issues are all to do with posting not with reading. If the general concensus would be to go ahead with this upgrade then I would envisage keeping this forum open for a couple of weeks after the new one opened so that info threads for instance the Cup Competitions posts for the current season could be cut and pasted into the new forum threads.

I don't host the content on the old TK site so I have no control over that. It's presumably paid for by his family with whom I do not have contact. If they wanted me to transfer the site onto the NLM server I would happily do so, I could do it now but wouldn't without their permission.

Steve

Chris1963

Nov 1, 2019, 9:09 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #9 of 60 (1438 views)
Shortcut

I think it's a good idea. One suggestion I'd like to make is that if we all have to re-register, it should be compulsory for us all to use our real names as our posting names, as a few posters currently do (John Treleven and Leo Hoenig for example) as this would hopefully encourage responsible posting and deter online abuse/bullying.

dottirofhod

Nov 1, 2019, 9:23 PM

Post #10 of 60 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I will not use my correct name on line, as long as real name is given in re-registering { if necc} and on line can use what we already know each other as will be fine surely.
You'll need to get rid of all your other accounts you have in stock.
I'm afraid you see bullying when its not there 'snowflake'.

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 1, 2019, 9:26 PM

Post #11 of 60 (1406 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think it's a good idea. One suggestion I'd like to make is that if we all have to re-register, it should be compulsory for us all to use our real names as our posting names, as a few posters currently do (John Treleven and Leo Hoenig for example) as this would hopefully encourage responsible posting and deter online abuse/bullying.

No problem with that either Chris. Arnold Snitchitt here.

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 1, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 60 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARNOLD241] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Obviously I cannot enforce that.

You may want to re-register under your current forum name for the sake of continuinity between both forums but that's up to you. I can't see why anyone would not want to.

dottirofhod

Nov 1, 2019, 9:35 PM

Post #13 of 60 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Agree, I also can't see why anyone would want to change their current forum name.

When is decision day?

Chris1963

Nov 1, 2019, 10:03 PM

Post #14 of 60 (1368 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You may want to re-register under your current forum name for the sake of continuinity between both forums but that's up to you. I can't see why anyone would not want to.

Some years ago, another non-league forum changed its policy and made everyone re-register and post under their real name. I was perfectly happy to comply with this, and from that point onwards, I started posting on that forum under my real name. If someone refuses to make their real name public, it may suggest that they have something to hide.

gcnc

Nov 1, 2019, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #15 of 60 (1340 views)
Shortcut

If we all have to re-register, can I be Leo Hoenig this time? He always seems to go to more exciting places than me!

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 1, 2019, 10:50 PM

Post #16 of 60 (1332 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

A bit rich from someone who has posted under at least 15 different aliases, often concurrently, and has been banned mutiple times for unacceptable posts.

Going back to the original question, I have no strong view either way.

Chris1963

Nov 1, 2019, 11:16 PM

Post #17 of 60 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

A bit rich from someone who has posted under at least 15 different aliases, often concurrently, and has been banned mutiple times for unacceptable posts.

Perhaps you could ask yourself; why was I never banned from any other non-league forum?

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 1, 2019, 11:22 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #18 of 60 (1300 views)
Shortcut

I'm fairly neutral on the issue. From a user point of view the forum doesn't need to be that fancy. It's the content that matters and it's easy enough to search on here for past experiences on a particularly ground (for example).

I've not been struck with too many issues, but if it makes it easier to manage then it could be worthwhile. But as it won't be a case of transfering things over, should a move be made, wouldn't it be best to do it over the close season when the forum is quieter.

hawkwind
First Team Star

Nov 1, 2019, 11:30 PM

Post #19 of 60 (1291 views)
Shortcut

There'll come a point where replacing the forum software becomes the best option but I guess you're best placed to know when that day arrives.

It really is an excellent forum and without you it would no longer be running. Thank-you.

Thinking through what we have I like the presentation, how easy it is to post, track the threads that I want, search recent and old threads, exchange information.

Hopefully all that can be retained in a new version - it's more important to me than additional functionality.

That said if you are open to ideas for a new version I offer two for consideration.

1. The possibility to create polls.
2. The possibility to designate threads as information or discussion. Or maybe sections instead of threads. And moderate them differently - to a certain degree automatically.

aicwhu
First Team Sub

Nov 2, 2019, 12:00 AM

Team(s): west ham

Post #20 of 60 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I vote to stay as we are at least for a while

andrew c

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 2, 2019, 10:34 AM

Post #21 of 60 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aicwhu] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Happy to go with the majority decision.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

scottywalds
First Team Star

Nov 2, 2019, 12:27 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #22 of 60 (1143 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Some years ago, another non-league forum changed its policy and made everyone re-register and post under their real name. I was perfectly happy to comply with this, and from that point onwards, I started posting on that forum under my real name. If someone refuses to make their real name public, it may suggest that they have something to hide.

So is your surname actually "1963"??

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 2, 2019, 8:03 PM

Post #23 of 60 (1085 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
If someone refuses to make their real name public, it may suggest that they have something to hide.

I am Spartacus.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 2, 2019, 8:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 60 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Climate Change] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can we keep this on topic so that I can get some feedback on what is a really major change to this forum
Thanks... Steve

(This post was edited by steve walker on Nov 2, 2019, 8:46 PM)

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 2, 2019, 9:34 PM

Post #25 of 60 (1031 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
so that I can get some feedback on what is a really major change to this forum
Thanks... Steve

Good that you have thrown it out to debate, Steve.
Personally I think you know what is best for forum.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3