Vienna trip

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 8:51 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 10 (1339 views)
Shortcut
Vienna trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

My only previous trip to Austria was back in May 2004 seeing games at Superfund Pasching & LASK Linz before going into Slovakia.

On Thursday 17th October I drove to Gatwick Airport with just one diversion, the M23 closed so I had turned off the M25 earlier, a route I usually do in reverse after departing the airport.

I arrived in Vienna on time at 10:05 & paid 4.20 euros to get into the city. My accommodation was close to Rathaus & Volks-theater metro stations. I paid 17.10 euros for a weekly pass but it only lasted till Sunday as they run from Monday to Sunday although I still gained as the 3 day pass also cost the same amount.

I did some sightseeing in warm sunshine but cooler in the shade before getting off the metro at Simmering station & then getting onto bus 217 which is an infrequent service. I paid 1.50 euros & then he said 2.40 euros but that was the return ticket. A short walk from bus stop Rannersdorf Wirtengerstrasse.

Regionalliga Ost (level 3)
Fussball Club Mauerwerk 0 (miss pen 52)
Sportclub Wiener Neustadt 2 (9 pen & 75 pen)
KO: 19:30 (no one was on the pitch at this time) Cost: (I arrived early & was already in the ground so didn’t pay) Att: 120 (as per Fussballoesterreich website) (my h/c was approx 148 but did include other people by the snack bar area) also inc a coach load from WN. Saw no progs

Venue: Stadion Schwechat, Franz-Schuster-Strasse, Schwechat (level 4 Schwechat SV also play here)
4 corner concrete leaning floodlights with an 8 lane running track & usual athletics stuff. Fencing at front. Concrete covered main stand down one side which curves & has at the highest length 16 rows of red bucket seats. Behind one goal is out of bounds with trees. Remainder has grass banking with a rail in front of h/s path. One side has a closed tonight clubhouse. Behind are various floodlit training/football pitches which were being utilised tonight. In corner is snack bar & clubhouse with patio & h/s areas with concrete wall.

Match: 10th v 12th out of 16
Chilly night which would’ve been very quiet if it hadn’t been for the singing WN fans & one who banged a drum. A tackle on the edge of the penalty box saw WN player appear to go down late but the penalty was converted. FCM had a couple of decent efforts & WN went close just before h/t. Shots 3-3.

H/t lasted under 12 mins.
FCM had a chance to equalise but their penalty hit the post. They went close twice more as they threatened to equalise. WN went close with a shot saved & rebound saved for a corner. A 3rd penalty was awarded when FCM player kicked it hard & the ball hit a player standing very close. After much protesting WN secured the win although FCM went close late on. Shots 8-3.

I caught the last bus of the day at 22:11 back to Simmering station then into the city.

I’ll be posting my games in stages as I saw so many games.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 9:54 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Vienna trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Friday it was again & mostly sunny day but not quite so warm as yesterday. Cooler in the shade again. I visited the Belvedere (upper part) to view the many paintings & then had a brief wander around the city.

One of my main reasons for this trip was for the following venue although 2nd choice was Vienna Capitals ice hockey match. I got off the metro at Heiligenstadt station which is a few minutes walk away passing Karl Max block of flats. Also a walk up some steps in the dark.

Landesliga - Wiener Stadtliga (level 4)
First Vienna Fussball Club 1894 1 (60)
Sportunion Mauer 0
KO: 19:30 Att: 941 (as per OF website) (I guessed at 600) Cost: 8 euros Saw no progs

Venue: Naturarena Hohe Warte, Klabundgasse, Wien
Amazing venue which once had a capacity of 85,000. H & S would be panicking here in England but you could watch from anywhere. There was an U-23 game on the pitch at 17:30.
Main side has covered elevated stand with 13 rows of blue & yellow seats with terracing in each corner. The remainder has grass banking at the same height. Opposite there is 3 metal areas not reaching either 18yd box with the middle one having 24 rows of metal terracing & either side are 12 rows of metal benches. Behind one goal above banking are bushes & trees. The other goal has remains in one corner of 10 rows of terracing & h/s path along with a rail & in corner is a small building with overhang. Behind path is more grass banking going quite high in the corner with some trees behind. Behind metal areas & h/s path is a rail. There are remains of some more terracing. I counted 15 rows then a further 33 rows with another rail. In front of this is a 125 statue? signifying years the club has been going & a small covered gantry. Behind rail a further 30 narrow rows with some trees & bushes at top. From here you can see the city which must be impressive in daylight. Plenty of the city lights including one of the Ferris wheels at Prater can be seen. I was also advised of the observatory tower behind. I carefully walked down the grass banking.

Match: 2nd (5.4.0) v 12th out of 16
Chilly night. FV fans were singing most of the game, there was a trumpeter & the bagpipes were also played. Unfortunately not much happened in the 1st half with FV having an early shot saved & a chance saw a header go over. SM did little although they broke well but had nothing up front. A shot went just wide just before h/t. Shots 4-2.

H/t lasted over 13 mins. Within 90 seconds of re-start FV free-kick was saved. The game was heading for a 0-0 until finally FV scored. The gk saved a shot on 76mins & a clear chance was wasted in injury time when they really should’ve added a 2nd goal. Shots 11-3.

I watched parts of the game with a guy from Bexhill who had already visited this ground. He enjoys visiting Vienna along with central european countries.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 10:45 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1299 views)
Shortcut

On Saturday I could’ve done a double or even possibly a treble but as I wanted to see some ice hockey I settled on one game. Low damp cloudy conditions made it feel cold with temperatures barely over double figures. I wandered around the outside of Schloss Schonbrunn although visibility wasn’t the best.

I later got off the metro at Stadion station & a short walk away to see:

Athletik Sportclub Koma Elektra 2 (79 & 92+, miss pen 20 & red 85)
Sportvereinigung Donau 0
KO: 15:00 Att: 120 (as per website) (my h/c was 136) Cost: 8 Euros Saw no progs

Venue: Energie Wien Platz, Josef-Fritsch-Weg, Wien
2 floodlight poles each side. Mostly railed. Opposite main side is grass area sloping down with h/s path & some trees. Behind fence is the railway line & not far away is the Ernst Happel Stadion. Behind one goal is grass area & h/s path. Behind fence is shrubbery banking & set back is the Stadion shopping centre. Main side has 2 rows of bench seating except where dugouts are located. Behind is fairly wide h/s area. For most of the length is a grey building attached to the clubhouse. To the side of this is a raised patio area. Behind other goal is grass area & h/s path & going the other way is a basic floodlit artificial pitch with just a rail. The U-23 game was played on this pitch, ko 12:30 or 13:00. Beyond are one of two bubble indoor arenas.

Venue: 3rd v 7th out of 16
ASK were well on top in the 1st half but didn’t threaten enough. The gk made a fine save from the penalty spot. DON had a shot saved on 32mins. Shots 4-2.

H/t lasted over 11 mins. I was surprised at the lack of goals on this trip. ASK continued to be on top but again didn’t look like scoring. They finally scored which looked like an own goal. They hit the post on 83mins & were soon reduced to 10 men. On 90+mins the gk was rounded but the player stumbled over. Not long after ASK added a 2nd goal. The DON gk was on the ground but when he got up he started to collapse. He seemed to be in a bit of trouble with players & benches helping him. The ref blew for full-time. Shots 9-3.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 11:16 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1280 views)
Shortcut

ICE HOCKEY

I got off the metro at Kagran station & could see the Erste Bank Arena aka Albert Schultz Eishalle, Attemsgasse, Wien.

Alps Hockey League (level 2)
Vienna Capitals Silver 3 (2,1,0)
Steel Wings Linz 1 (0,1,0)
Att: approx 200+ inc a few from Linz Cost: I originally paid 20 Euros when I finally found the ticket office but when I looked at my ticket it was for the game on Fri 24/10/19 also against Linz but in the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga (level 1). I was refunded the money & was advised it was free tonight. Saw no progs

Venue: All seats are white or various shades of grey. Only lower tier down one side open. A small area is high up in each corner.

Match: 17th v 18th out of 18.

Started at 18:00 & ended at 20:04.

VCS should’ve had a handful in the 1st period although gk was good. SWL came back well for most of the2nd period & couldn’t get a 2nd goal in the 3rd for an exciting ending.

There’s 3 rinks here. Rink 2 is basic while rink 3 has 10 rows of yellow seats one side & elevated area behind one goal by snack bar area.

There was a game on rink 3 so I was expecting to watch most of the 2nd period & all of the 3rd period but to my surprise when the main game ended there was less than a minute to play in the 2nd period. Later I realised the clock doesn’t stop until the last 5 mins of the 3rd period & the intermissions are 5 mins.

Eisner Auto Hockey League Division A (3 divisions in this set up)
EH FantiK 5
EHC Vienna Wookies 3
I saw VW make it 0-1. It was 2-1 at end of 2nd. It was 2-2 with less than 5mins to go & ended 5-3. Att: 55 h/c. 3rd period lasted 23mins.

At 20:30 on the main rink Wiener Sport Club played Vienna International Hockey Club in the Wiener Eishockey Verband (4 divisions in this set up). Crowd was close to 200 when I had a brief look but I couldn’t see a game clock.

I then watched:
Eisner Auto Hockey League Division C
Monday Devils 3 (1,1,1)
FKK Scibes Skulls 2 (0,1,1)
Started at 21:21 & ended at 22:36. Att: 31 h/c
On rink 2 play was still continuing. 10 mins overtime had just started. A couple of minutes later the game was over. EHC Muskrats beat EHC Donaufeld Dragons 4-3.

A longer night of ice hockey I was expecting but enjoyable nonetheless.

Back to football which I’ll post tomorrow.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 6:13 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1101 views)
Shortcut

On Sunday I got off at the metro at Reumannplatz although Troststrasse station is closer to the ground of:

Favoritner Athletik Club 2 (57 & 76)
Sport Club Mannsworth 2 (27 & 39)
KO 10:15 Att: 194 h/c (website advised 130) Cost: 8 euros Saw no progs

Venue: FavAC Platz, Kennergasse, Wien
Another characterful ground. Mostly railed around the pitch. One side has not reaching either 18 yd box a covered stand with 8 steep concrete rows with a h/s path at the front & at the back is another rail with standing area at the back. Attached either side & above is the greyist blandist block of flats with 8 storeys. At various times people took a look at the game. Behind one goal in corner is gravel area with remainder having a dirt path & a fairly steep mound of grass & dirt. Behind is an old 6 storey block of flats. Behind other goal is part grass banking with the remainder a concrete wall with the club name on it. Behind are the only floodlights here for training ? area & some trees. Set back is a 15 storey block of flats & tall office block beyond. Main side has h/s path. In near corner is a raised area with tables/chairs with snack bar & a little set up for food & drink. Past the 18yd box to close to the half way line are 13 rows of wooden benches. Behind rail at the back & continues into other half is 2 storey building housing the clubhouse & changing rooms. The 2nd storey has a balcony with plenty of washing drying. Remainder has grass banking in front of a snack hatch. Behind are blocks of flats.

Match: 11th v 10th out of 16
Low damp cloud made it feel almost as cold as yesterday.
The worst pitch I’ve seen for quite a while. I dread to think what it would like if the game was played in heavy rain. FAC had shot saved on 3mins & a cross struck the stanchion of post & bar on 20mins. But really this half was dominated by MAN well on top. FAC were probably fortunate only to be 2 goals down. Shots 3-11.

H/t lasted over 11 mins. Total turnaround this half with FAC even more dominant got an equaliser after going close. A bottle of drink was thrown on the pitch by a small band of singing FAC fans for not awarding a penalty. A free kick struck the bar on 74mins but moments later they got a deserved equaliser. On 84mins a rebound was cleared off the line. MAN had a rare attack & had a chance on 87mins going over. On 95+mins FAC headed just over the bar. Shots 12-1.

There was an U-23 game at 12:30.

I watched a lot of the game with the guy from Bexhill again. He’d seen a game here approx 15 years ago.

(This post was edited by pinewoodste on Oct 24, 2019, 6:45 PM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 6:44 PM

Post #6 of 10 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Back on the metro & I got off at Neulaa station which looked easier to get to the ground. Closer is Oberlaa station which I used after the game which was the better option in the end.

Diozesan Sport Gemeinschaft 1 Klasse A (below level 8)
DSG Benkobande Vindobona Fussball Club 2 (21 & 59, red 25 (x2?))
DSG Royal Vienna 2 (57 & 87)
KO: 13:30, started at 13:25 Att: 5 h/c (website advised 15) Cost: Free Saw no progs but in clubhouse I picked up an A5 booklet listing the fixtures for the 1st half of the season with ko times for levels 3 to 8 with ground addresses which was free.

Venue: Franz-Koci-Strasse, Wien
(signage for level 5 club 1980 Wien)
Artificial pitch with 3 floodlight poles each side. This is the only pitch with lights. One side is railed with h/s path & up a raised step which you could sit on is grass banking with a bench. Behind bushes & trees is a training ? pitch. Behind one goal has a 4 lane running strip with some bushes & trees. Behind fence is railway line & some new looking industrial buildings. Other goal has rail in each corner with grass banking up to a h/s footpath. There’s more grass banking with some trees & bushes. Behind are some flats. Other side has rail with 2 benches & some trees. There’s grass area with h/s in the middle. There’s then the main pitch with 2 rows of wooden benches on the other side. Behind one goal is clubhouse & a separate changing room building.

Match: 11th (0.1.5 2-22) v 7th out of 12
The cloud lifted with some sun. Mild.
Obvious low standard with BV starting the better side & took the lead. They made it hard on themselves with player shown a yellow card. He may have then been shown a 2nd one but he definitely got a red card. Moments later it appeared the ref showed him another 2 cards, possibly another red card although the website just has the one. This ref certainly didn’t stand any nonsense in a league where there’s no lino’s. They hit the bar on 36mins from a free kick & just before h/t RV had a free kick which went just wide. Shots 9-6.

H/t lasted under 7mins. RV shot hit the bar bounced down & appeared to over the line but the goal wasn’t given. They then shot just over before a cross hit the bar & the ball fell to another player who shot & this hit the post with the next rebound going in for the equaliser. 132 seconds later BV regained the lead with a powerful free kick with gk not able to keep the ball out. They nearly added a 3rd goal but shot was saved. RV lobbed an effort just wide on 83mins before getting another equaliser. Shots 8-12.

There was a youth game on when I arrived while after my game there were further DSG games at 15:30 & 17:30.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 8:12 PM

Post #7 of 10 (1069 views)
Shortcut

I then later got off the metro at Hutteldorf station & then a short walk.

Tipico Bundesliga (level 1)
Sportklub Rapid Wien 1 (30)
Riegler Zechmeister Pellets Wolfsberger Athletik Klub 1 (63)

KO: 17:00 Att: 21,200 (as per scoreboard) Cost: I bought my ticket late Friday afternoon in the club shop at the stadium. I was advised (appeared incorrectly) that only tickets left were opposite the main side. I paid 33 euros, alternative were 40 euros. I picked up a programme at the same time but later realised it was for a game earlier in the season, not that I’m bothered as I’ll be giving it to someone soon anyway. 24 pages free.

I bought Schnitzel burger in a bar close to the ground as on Friday I was given a fan-card as the food outlets at the stadium don’t accept cash. It has a nice picture of the stadium on it at night.

Venue: Allianz Stadion, Gerhard-Hanappi-Platz, Wien
Lights around the roof of the stadium. On the train I could see a floodlight. All covered & elevated wrap-around stadium. The 4 corners have gaps lower down only. Behind one goal has approx 38 rows of terracing. The remainder is seated with mostly green with some in red, white & blue. Other goal & one side has approx 38 rows. The main side which has an interesting frontage side on facing the road has approx 22 rows with 2 tiers of boxes with 2 to 4 rows of seating. Behind one goal you could see top of a hill with some houses.

Match: 4th v 3rd out of 12
The sun went down & was a bit breezy but was high up.
RW committed numerous fouls throughout the game but only got 6 yellow cards. While WAC got 4 & the bench also got 1. Low key start with RW shooting over on 20mins before taking the lead from a rebound after initial shot hit the post. Despite RW looking far the better side they should’ve created more. Shots 5-1.

H/t lasted under 15mins. A livelier spell of the game with a good chance for RW going wide on 55mins & then an effort which should’ve been better. WAC shot wide before a free kick was headed in for an undeserved equaliser. On 65mins RW had shot saved for a corner. Last effort fell to RW on 86mins with a header going wide. Shots 6-3.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 9:40 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1032 views)
Shortcut

I later got off the metro at Heiligenstadt station again. This time heading in the opposite direction to Friday & crossing a bridge over the canal.

Diozesan Sport Gemeinschaft 1 Klasse A (below level 8)
DSG Celtic Salmannsdorf 5 (9, 13, 18, 71 & 93+)
DSG Philadelphia Athletik Club 3 (6 pen, 41 & 48)
KO: 20:00 Att: 19 h/c (website advised 33) Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: Gemeinde Wien, Spielmanngasse, Wien
(level 8 teams FC 1453 Fetih/Tarhana & FC Eintracht Wien play here)
Signage has First Vienna 1894 FC & I understand the women play here.

Artificial pitch with 2 floodlight poles each side. The dugout side appeared to be narrow with a fence & behind is a Toyota garage & office blocks. Behind one goal is grass area & flats beyond. There is a railway line but I only saw the engine pass each way once. Behind other goal is grass area & behind fence a bubble indoor arena where beach volleyball was being played. Behind was the closed clubhouse & attached are the changing rooms. I hadn’t had a drink before ko at Rapid so needed one & was lucky that across the road was a chinese restaurant where I could get a Coca Cola at h/t. I only ventured one side where there’s a grass bank with rail at top & then a wide h/s path for part of near half. Remainder has grass mound. Behind is another artificial pitch which is fully railed & & floodlit. The near side are 3 rows of metal benches. You could use part of the back row to view my pitch. Beyond are blocks of flats possibly more newer.

Match: 2nd (5.0.1 23-5) v 1st (5.1.0 25-12) out of 12
This was the same league as the 2nd game I saw today but it was worlds apart regarding the standard. This was far superior & this ref was a lot more lenient.
An early penalty was converted by PHIL. 180 seconds later they CEL equalised. 221 seconds later they took the lead & just after 5 mins later went 2 goals up. Efforts at both ends including PHIL hitting the post on 37mins. The lively forward for PHIL got his sides 2nd goal. CEL had a few fans who chanted the Celtic name. Shots 8-9.

H/t lasted over 12 mins. It was chilly & there were mist patches coming & going. PHIL had shot saved with the rebound converted for an equaliser. The game died a bit with CEL shooting just over on 68mins before a cross went over the gk & dropped into the net. It got a bit niggly towards the end as it livened up again with PHIL having an effort cleared off the line on 88mins. CEL secured victory in injury time. Shots 6-6.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 10:28 PM

Post #9 of 10 (1028 views)
Shortcut

On Monday it mild in the mostly sunny weather. I visited the Hofburg Imperial Palace & did more sightseeing in the city. I also went to the Ernst Happel Stadion & with a few gates open I was able to get inside the ground to my surprise. There’s a boxing club inside along with Rapid Wien appearing to have some connection inside as well.

Later I got off the metro at Schlachthausgasse station & a fairly short walk to:

Diozesan Sport Gemeinschaft 1 Klasse B1 (below level 8)
DSG Vecchie Glorie 2 (3 & 69)
Fussball Club Susa Vienna 0
KO: 20:15, started at 20:35 due to kids training Att: 4 h/c (website advised 9) Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: LAC, Baumgasse, Wien
(ground of level 5 side LAC - Inter)

Artificial pitch with 3 floodlight poles each side. Only pitch with floodlights. Fully railed. One side has h/s with changing room entrance leading to the clubhouse in the corner. There’s a small closed snack bar with overhang. There’s a small area with 4 rows of wooden benches. Behind most of length is a big green & white building which looks like an industrial unit but appears to be something to do with the sporthotel. Behind other goal is grass area sloping up to some trees. Behind fence are some flats. Other side has grass area with a low concrete wall & fence on it. Behind is Deniz Bank & blocks of flats/office blocks. Behind other goal is grass with a sports hall ? which runs directly behind the other pitch. This pitch which has the clubhouse down the side also has 4 rows of wooden benches. Not sure if pitch was grass or not & it was also dark.

Match: 2nd v 5th out of 12
Mildest night of the trip. VG scored early on & were generally on top but only led by 1 goal. Shots 7-3.

H/t lasted under 10mins. SUSA threatened to equalise going close twice. A well struck free kick made it 2-0. After 96:08 the pitch was plunged into darkness as presumably the lights are on a timer. Seconds later the ref blew for f/t. Shots 9-4.

I watched most of the game with a guy from Sheffield who has worked in Vienna for just over a year now. Had an interesting chat about life here. He was here as his son plays for SUSA. He said he’ll be tearing his hair out soon due to the winter break & no football to play.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 10:39 PM

Post #10 of 10 (1016 views)
Shortcut

On Tuesday it was a warm day. I had a wander round the famous Prater fun fair with its two ferris wheels. Between this & the Ernst Happel Stadion is the Krieau Trabrennbahn which is a trotting track with a cover etc down one side. One ‘trotter’ was practising. I had intended on visiting the History Art Museum but during the trip I’d made up my mind that I’d be coming back again hopefully soon so I’d save visiting for next time.

So much football to see with plenty of staggered ko times over the weekend. A lovely city as well. I was also expecting the weather to be colder than London but it was far better than I’d expected.

Vienna airport got me a bit confused on the way back. It appeared there were no security checks until I realised these are down just before you board the flight. If I’d known I wouldn’t have thrown away my drink. I then had to buy a bottle of water which they had to seal up in a duty free bag. I saw a couple of big guys wearing Iran Powerlifting team tracksuits.

I arrived back at Gatwick on time at 22:50. One of the quickest exits I’ve had getting to my car. Twice the M25 went down from 4 to 1 lanes & then a diversion with J29 to J28 closed so I briefly headed towards Basildon before heading through Brentwood & onto home.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3