First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Windy
First Team Sub

Oct 22, 2019, 6:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 28 (7209 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 22nd October 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

More a case of where didn’t I go and how gutted can you be. Had a ticket organised for the UEFA Youth League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Red Star Belgrade, which was due to kick off at 2.0 originally, which would have given me just about enough time to get to my evening assignment at Cheltenham Town v Macclesfield Town. Last week I noticed that the kick off time had been put back to 3.0 for TV purposes so had to give the Spurs match a miss. Just arrived at Cheltenham to see that the afternoon match ended in a 9-2 win for Spurs and that would have been my second highest scoring match in 50 years of watching football (strangely the highest was an FA Youth Cup match between Spurs and Bolton a few years back which ended 4-8). What’s the betting on a 0-0 at Cheltenham tonight.

(This post was edited by Windy on Oct 22, 2019, 6:18 PM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 22, 2019, 6:32 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 28 (7194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What’s the betting on a 0-0 at Cheltenham tonight.

==================================================

Worth a punt , 8/1 on Bet365. I just had to have £2 on it,

0-0 would suit me / the Alex or a Macc win.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 105 / 89 / 16 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 12 / 11 / 2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

dottirofhod

Oct 22, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 28 (6989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Trust me, Crewe 0 v 0 Colchester.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 105 / 89 / 16 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 12 / 11 / 2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 22, 2019, 10:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 28 (6870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wrexham 1-0 Chesterfield
FA Cup 4th Q/R replay
Adm £10/5/1
Att 2023, 71 away

Came here with fairly low expectations, so was fairly pleased with what i saw.
First half Wrexham at least tried to play football and create, Chesterfield were dire. Wrexham took the lead on 30 mins with an excellent move down the left. 2nd half Wrexham defended deeper and appeared to welcome Chesterfield to have a go. Chesterfield caused a few slight problems when they brought on a 6 footer and humped it up to him, but they didn't really create anyhting until the 90th minute, when they could have easily scored a couple. Must admit there was certainly a huge sigh of relief as i wouldn't have fancied another 30 minutes.
Last here in 1983, it's actually in better condition than i thought it would be.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2019, 10:56 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #5 of 28 (6809 views)
Shortcut

Not a 0-0
FA Vase Round 1 Replay

Horndean 1 Raynes Park Vale 2

admission £6-00 programme yes attendance 65 h/c
4th from top Wessex Prem v 4th from bottom Combined Counties Prem
Bit of a surprise result given the respective league positions, and given the first half hour of the match, which the home side totally dominated. They faded in the second half , however, and a late equaliser and last-minute winner saw the visitors get through.
Deans started well downhill with their passing game (overdone at times) but the visitors had the first chance as McKillop headed over from a free-kick. But they quickly conceded as a lovely cross from the right was glanced neatly into the corner of the net by an unmarked Duffin. After that the home team were on top and the visitors were hanging on. But they defended solidly and restricted the home team to few chances. A good cross was just too high for Duffin, and Maloney fired the rebound wide. Maloney was then given time to shoot again, this time over. On the half hour a cross from the right saw Duffin with space to shoot, but he elected for an ambitious volley and missed his kick. The visitors started to come into the game and a powerful free-kick by McKillop was just wide. Near to half time Alderton headed over for the Vale from a corner. HT 1-0. After the break it was the visitors, playing downhill, who got their passing game more together - not as impressive as their hosts', but they were able to put some pressure on for the first time. Jordan shot straight at keeper Magee after a defensive error; at the other end Duffin turned well but his shot was over. Sub Peel replaced him and his physical presence caused problems for Vale. He headed over from a free-kick and a good cross from M.Smith on the right (he provided several tonight) also saw him miss the target, under pressure. The visitors were still threatening and grabbed a surprise equaliser on 77 mins - a defensive error saw Jordan free in the area and he took full advantage with a well-placed shot. Horndean upped their game and a Lis long shot was saved, and Peel showed good strength to come inside from the right and curl a shot just wide. But on 90 mins a good break down the left saw Jordan set up sub Williamson to steal it for the visitors, who celebrated wildly.
Not been to Five Heads Park for a couple of years - no changes at this quirky ground in that time.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Oct 22, 2019, 10:58 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Oct 22, 2019, 10:58 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #6 of 28 (6796 views)
Shortcut

Southern Central Premier. Admission £11/£8. Programme £2.50. Crowd 310 (Official).

Hednesford Town 4 v 0 Redditch United

A comfortable win against a poor Redditch team. Goals after 10 and 15 minutes gave the Pitmen a deserved lead. United were denied what seemed to be a clear penalty a few minutes later when one of their players was shoved to the ground, apart from that they managed just one noteworthy effort on goal in the first period as the home side dominated the play.

A brighter start to the second half by the visitors but two goals in a minute on 58 and 59 ended any faint hopes Redditch had of a comeback. Referee wasn't great tonight, missed several fouls by both sides but other than that a fairly entertaining evening.

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Oct 22, 2019, 11:06 PM

Post #7 of 28 (6754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MARGATE v Mertsham. Kick off: 19.47 I.M.T. Result: 2-1. Admission: £8 for the senile. Programme: £2.50p. Print run of 60 sold out at 19.27 which considering the overpricing and low crowd was surprising. Attendance: 263

A draw would have been a fairer result but I don't suppose Margate will be too worried about the equableness of the game. First home match for over two months but the attendance suggested the locals weren't exactly champing at the bit for football to return to Hartsdown Park.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 23, 2019, 12:25 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 28 (6441 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Championship : West Bromwich Albion 2 Barnsley 2. Admission comp; Programme £3.50. Attendance : 22,086

My mate's lad couldn't make it so he offered me the spare ticket in a prime spot in the Halfords Lane stand which I accepted. I was asked how long ago it had been since I'd visited the Hawthorns and couldn't remember saying it was at least a decade, maybe more. Just looked and it was December 1992 against non-league Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup. Crazy
Needless to say, the ground has changed greatly and I have to say I enjoyed the experience. Albion are an unfashionable blue-collar club with a very local fanbase and gates have remained steady despite relegation from the Premier League. The Halfords Lane stand is completely new since I last went and there's loads of room on the concourses, plenty of well-staffed food and drink outlets, screens everywhere and it's all very pleasant indeed. Perfect viewing but not the greatest game with table-topping Albion labouring to a point against bottom-placed Barnsley for whom Cauley Woodrow scored two belters to leave them two up at the break. Barnsley eventually caved in but finished on the front foot and deserved a point at least.
The chicken balti pies were superb; both of them. Each washed down with a bottle of cider set me back £15. Parking was 15 minutes walk away in the industrial wastelands toward Smethwick and back in the local for 10.30. Bostin, ay it.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 7:39 AM

Post #9 of 28 (5969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Regrettably, the term 'Bostin' has not entered the South Essex vernacular, however if if had then it would be the best description of....

Billericay Town 5 v 2 Sutton United - FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round Replay
Prog 48 pages £3.00 - Admission £13.00 - Att 1113

....Cracking evenings entertainment, which made us forget the off field tribulations relating to Taplin's departure (Deaf Leopard's Twitter suggests that the sale has now been completed and therefore that the era of Tamplin has ended) and also to ignore the fact that the home teams support now includes many who are on their feet in anticipation with the ball fifty yards from the goal meaning that those of us with slower reactions could not follow play as easily as should be the case.

Usual cracking display from Sam Deering in midfield with one of those influential displays that has been so frequent for Billericay over the past few years that you wonder why a team further up the food chain has not taken a speculative punt on him. Complements Jake Robinson's 'poacher' instincts and a true midfield pivot. Sutton for all their efforts looked like a team low on morale and with more than a few defensive frailties.

Initially, it did not look as if this would be as comfortable an evening as it turned out for the hosts as Rob Milsom's free kick was glanced in at the near post by Harry Beautyman to give Sutton an early advantage. Lead was short lived as a Deering free kick found Loft on the left, what looked like a miscue and heading over the bar dipped rebounding off the bar and Robinson converted the rebound from close range, a goal that due to those with springs attached to their shoes, the best view was not attained. No danger of this reoccurring for Deering's superb strike from the edge of the area that had just enough curl to take it between Jamie Butler's fingertips and the far post to give Billericay a deserved lead. To conclude the half an equally impressive goal from Robinson with a perfect lob over Butler who was left without any defensive cover from an incisive move forward. In fact Billericay could have gone in at the interval further in front but Butler made a couple of important saves, especially from Potter whose venomous drive from the right was pushed behind for a corner.

The hosts First Round trip to FGR was confirmed early in the second half when another piercing angled pass from Deering dissected the Sutton defence allowing a further pass into the path of Ody Alfa whose effort from the edge of the area took a clear deflection as it found the far corner. Surprisingly, after falling further behind Sutton had their best period with Tommy Wright and then Omar Bugiel hitting the post, though from the latter, Wright was on hand to dispatch the rebound and there were a few hints of a Sutton revival. The hosts though were able to calm down proceedings and the threat of a long evening receded.

A quieter period ensued, though Alfa did curl a shot from just inside the penalty area against the base of the post. The final minutes saw Robinson clearly in search of a pre birthday hat trick (33 today), though his chances of completing this as he went down with no other player around him clearly in some distress clutching his leg. Clear that a quick application of something soothing had the desired effect and in the final minute of an elongated period of stoppage caused by Robinson's injury and then a head injury to Ronnie Henry which necessitated the application of a suitable Blue coloured bandage, saw Alfa breaking out of defence a through pass to Robinson and a sand wedge of a shot over the once again underprotected Butler to confirm what had been a more than impressive display. No requirement on this occasion for a late Alan Julian intervention, in fact apart from picking the ball out of the net twice and a couple of routine saves, the only time that Julian was noticed was when he was cautioned for time wasting.

The elongated period of stoppage time meant a quick departure was not possible, though a quick detour to the town JDW did yield a very pleasant 'Another Pint in the Wall' from Titanic. Regulation journeys in both directions and indoors at 23.38........

Barnsley Dave
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 7:49 AM

Team(s): Barnsley ,non league football,Yorkshire C.C, ,,wherever I lay my hat

Post #10 of 28 (5933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Virginia Water 1 Brackley Town Saints 1 Hellenic League
Admission £6 including programme
Attendance 60 (hc)
Cheeseburger and chips £4.50, cheese was free as it was left over from the boys match earlierWink
Kick off time 7.45 AMT (Assessor Mean Time)
Always interesting trying to work out the minute Richard Banks the VW assistant coach kicks over his water bottle at another refereeing injustice but took until the 2nd half last night though Ceri Jones the VW manager also had a few words with the assessor as the ref seemed to be booking the VW players more often for committing the same fouls as the BTS players
Despite this was a very enjoyable open game with some good football played and VW scoring a deserved equaliser ten minutes from time
2nd half started near enough on time so key in the lock at 9.50 pm which was welcome after a Timmy Tabby type day at work which started with nearly being totalled by a foreign lorry driver who pulled into my lane on the M25 just as I was passing him meaning a quick swerve to the next lane and hope nothing was coming up that one and then people complaining about minor stuff at work all day Wink

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 8:23 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #11 of 28 (5813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barnsley Dave] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sydenhams Wessex One
Victory Stadium
United Services Portsmouth 3 Bemerton Heath Harlequins 0
Admission: £6 Paper available Attendance: 68

New tick after bunking off (soon to be redundant) work and a slow (150 minute) drive to Pompey; this was 3rd hosting 1st at the start. A first meeting since 1997 according to Twitter, Heath finally losing their Premiership status after a couple of poor seasons to join USP in tier One.
The table positions were reversed at the conclusion of this game and USP were well worth their 3 points. Heath were untidy, quarrelsome and unlucky in equal measure. I also thought the man in black was terrible all night and didn't help some of the more fractious moments with, frankly, inexplicable decisions at times.
Franklyn opened the scoring on 8 with a sublime volley from a botched clearance; leaning back and sideways he still managed to put his laces through the falling ball into the corner.
Heath were struggling to keep the ball and were ineffective for the most part; Bennett got sin-binned on 33 for (see above) rightfully challenging another daft decision. A big escape on 41 for USP when Matthews headed a cross against the post; the ball running along the goal line and a sliding Burke couldn't put it in at the opposite post. HT 1-0.
Much the same after the break with Bennett missing a point-blank effort cleared off the line until on 70 Franklyn slalomed and danced his way past 2 or 3 defenders to place the ball beyond Creese. Great goal.
USP then had a very good shout for a penalty turned down. Heath's Burke got a straight red on 76 which just added to the tension being felt on the Heath bench which saw their lead in the table slipping away. The final nail was hammered home on 90 by Franklyn again for his hat-trick, dinking the ball over Creese for an excellent goal and topping off a fine all-round performance.
USP have impressed me each time I have seen them (even when they kicked us out of the FA Cup 5 years ago) but can they maintain it? Quick drive back in just over the 90 via M27, Botley, Twyford, M3 A303 and A342.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 81 Goals: 320 GPG: 3.95 New Grounds: 45

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Oct 23, 2019, 8:25 AM)

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Oct 23, 2019, 9:12 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #12 of 28 (5617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North West Counties League Division One North
Atherton Laburnum Rovers 1 Garstang 2
Admission £5, prog £2 (decent effort)
Pie or burger £2, tea £1
Att. 77 (looked a bit more than that)

Not the greatest of games. The first half offered little bar a Garstang goal. A free kick was fizzed across the box and missed everyone to find the far corner. Quite whether it was intended that way is very debatable.

The hosts came more into the game when Garstang were reduced to ten men fairly early after the restart and eventually forced an equaliser from a deflected shot. They looked the more likely to go on and win but Garstang caught them on the counter attack and managed the rest of the game with relative comfort.

It has been a around fifteen years since I was last here but nothing has changed. still a great ground for this level. A large elevated main stand on one side and covered standing opposite. The cover set back at an angle behind the goal is a relic from years earlier apparently when the pitch was moved as the ground was developed. It was always used for storage on previous visits and seemingly still is. Otherwise fully enclosed and railed off. The clubhouse is also accessible from inside the ground (no real ale)

Post match saw us meet up with my brother for a brief stop at the Kirkfield in Newton-le-Willows. Five ales to choose from with ales from Liverpool Brewery (two) and Parker's tried between us. The Liverpool Cherry Porter was superb.

KnowYourMarket

Oct 23, 2019, 9:17 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #13 of 28 (5601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Retford 2-3 Selby Town

Northern Counties East Division 1, admission £5, pain de saucisse £2.50, att: 93

Straight forward journey to North Nottinghamshire, the ground is accessed under a bridge which was blocked off to traffic so you have to park in the road outside. It's a work in progress but they have obviously spent a lot of time and effort tidying the ground. There is some cover behind both goals but in inclement weather I doubt the view is great. Both covers have a 1 line row of seats to keep the ground graders happy.

Really entertaining game which Selby deservedly won in the last minute. It's a shame they spend so much time complaining throughout the game, moan (sic) of the match was their no.7

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Oct 23, 2019, 9:18 AM)

prorege

Oct 23, 2019, 9:37 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #14 of 28 (5516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Under 17 Championships Qualifying Round, Group Game (12 Noon KO)
Croatia v Iceland, 3-2, H.T. 2-1, Att c.100, Free Admission, Free Teamsheets
At ORIAM, Outdoors Grass Pitch

These two, along with Scotland and Armenia, make up a qualifying group for the UEFA Under 17s Championship with the games being played at ORIAM and in Stirling. A 12 Noon KO was too tempting to resist.

The crowd was comprised almost entirely of Icelandic parents, Scottish and English Premier League club scouts and a small sprinkling of enthusiasts. They were well entertained by a competitive and skilful match which the Croats edged 3-2. Early om it looked like they would win comfortably as Barisic took advantage of poor defending to open the s coring and Cubelic doubled the margin with an unstoppable 30 yarder. The Icelanders gave themselves some hope with a goal by Oskarsson just before half time.

For a long spell in the second half it was very even but another episode of poor defending allowed Petrovic to make it 3-1 with 12 minutes left. Iceland quickly reduced the leeway when Djuric converted a penalty and then missed two sitters in the closing moments that would have earned them a draw.

All very enjoyable with teamsheets freely available to help identify the players. Croatia were physically very strong and technically adept. Iceland were less physical but also demonstrated fine craft and guile.

Proper obsessives could have rushed off to watch Hearts and Hibs Reserves at Meggetland and then to Stirling to see Scotland play Armenia in the other group game. My mate and I headed to a local hostelry for a late lunch and blether. Much more relaxing.

stingray
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 9:51 AM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #15 of 28 (5453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
LEVERSTOCK GREEN 0-1 HARPENDEN TOWN
Admission £7.00 Prog £1.00 Comestibles £5.80
Attendance 30 (looked more) plus two SML officials and might as well include the visiting keeper while I'm at it.

Just one goal was enough for the Harps who plucked it out courtesy of Matthew Standen after about 15 minutes. Leverstock Green might just as well not have bothered to turn up as they were utterly clueless and devoid of any ideas and their cause wasn't helped by Cass Grant who's clumsy lunge quite rightly earned him first refusal on the hot water. In fairness they did improve slightly after the break - well, they couldn't have been much worse - but in the end they'd been well and truly strung up by their guests.

And if that wasn't bad enough, nobody had thought to turn on the TVs in the clubhouse so it's not as if anyone could have found something more diverting - unless they fancied a wander up to whatever was going on at Vauxhall Road.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 23, 2019, 11:45 AM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #16 of 28 (5073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Melton T 3 Barrow T 1
Jelson Homes Senior Cup Rd 2 Adm £3 Prog £1 Att 81

A very entertaining game which really came to life after the visitors took the lead on 67 minutes with a superb strike from outside the box. Substitutions by the home side gave them fresh impetus and Munton proved to be the match winner, helping himself to a hat trick in the final fifteen minutes.

The ground is not a thing of beauty, comprising primarily of converted containers and a ground graders covered seated area. However a major plus is the fact that the tea bar dispensed hot food and was still open at the end of the game rather than closing just after half-time like so many others.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #17 of 28 (4693 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SkyBet League One
Bristol Rovers 0 Bolton Wanderers 2
Admission £19
Attendance 7,244

It's been a long time coming, but a first win of the season finally arrived for Bolton, and in unexpected fashion with an injury crisis hampering a squad already limited on numbers. Bolton made something of a shaky start with a terrific early save from Remi Matthews preventing an early deficit, but once Luke Murphy scored after 15 minutes a win always seemed likely, even so more when Daryl Murphy doubled the advantage with a little over 20 minutes left. Indeed, a greater margin of victory wouldn't have been undeserved.

£19 admission for the uncovered terrace along the side was pretty reasonable with no threat of rain in the air and a decent view even from our spot in the bottom corner.

Simple enough journey down, stopping for tea at the Travellers Rest (Hungry Horse) just off the M5 on the A road down to the ground. Not the greatest of eateries but their £5 'Big Plate Specials' are a good enough range and portion size to provide decent value for the microwaved food that it is. After doing a couple of circuits of the area around The Wellington, we managed to find a perfect parking spot literally right outside it even with less than an hour to kick off, giving ample chance for a quick pint before the 5 minute walk straight to the ground.

A leisurely celebratory pint in the Wellington after the game, a short break at Keele and back home for just after 2am. A job well done.

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 2:34 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #18 of 28 (4575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.. not the Non-League .. just date night with Mrs hh .. Tongue

Portsmouth 1-0 Lincoln City (EFL, Division 1)
- played at Fratton Park, Frogmore Road, Portsmouth from 7.45pm

Att – 17,266 (Incl 753 away Imps); Entry – season tickets; Prog - £3; Food – everywhere
Weather – all quiet and dry; Travel – across town, with Mrs hh at the wheel.
Colours – Pompey in traditional blue and white .. Imps in red and white stripes, with black shorts

Well either I’m watching too much football or Mrs hh has been .. because even she has sussed Mr Jackett’s approach to team selection and tactics of late .. going for that defensive approach and hope you nick the points .. which they did but the game was devoid of much else .. just a case of waiting to see if any goals would come along .. which did during the first half, when a knocked back header and tap in at the far post, around the half hour mark, provided the Fratton End an opportunity to sing “we are staying up .. say, we are staying up” .. yes, a few tongues in cheeks but to be honest a reasonable summary given the poor spectacle .. and one the Imps could and should have got something out of .. if they had just realised Pompey were not going to set the night alight .. as several of the visitors half chances could easily have been tucked away .. however, with Mr J’s after match thoughts confirmed as "grafted, industrious, a good defensive display, one to build on, great work ethic" .. etc etc .. it was left to Mrs hh comment of wanting something along the lines of (if I heard her right) .. “disrupt them” and “get into them” .. so, she’ll patiently wait for that next opportunity in ten days’ time.

No changes to the ground .. all very quiet in terms of the crowd .. and just glad someone scored .. returning home much earlier than the norm.

Grounds = 630, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 91; New Grounds (19/20) = 74; Goals (19/20) = 393; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Tamworth; Next = Weds 13th Nov 2019

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 5:55 PM

Post #19 of 28 (4120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kington Town 1 Wellington 3

Mill Street: Herefordshire County Challenge Cup Second Round

This was my first visit of the competitive campaign to Mill Street but I had witnessed a pre-season friendly back in late July when Church Stretton Town were the visitors. This is a ground that I do not tend to visit that often during the course of the season due to the lack of midweek fixtures held at Mill Street. This is despite Mill Street possessing floodlights but the Herefordshire FA County League do not tend to schedule many midweek fixtures during the middle part of the season. Therefore, a home draw in the Herefordshire County Challenge cup provides a rare opportunity to take in a fixture under lights at the border club. This competition commenced two weeks ago with a couple of first round ties, as I witnessed holders Westfields recorded a 3-1 victory at Ledbury Town, whilst Bromyard Town thrashed Bartestree on the same evening. The second round started last week as National League North Hereford thrashed Hinton 13-0 last Wednesday to book their spot in the last-eight stage of the competition. Kington Town had experienced a change in management over the summer as former Radnor Valley player/manager Paul Morgan moved over the border to take over the helm at the Yellows. The appointment appears to have had an instant impact on the Mill Street club as they came into this cup tie in second place in the Herefordshire FA County League Premier Division table. Kington Town had enjoyed a relatively comfortable 5-1 victory at former Midland League hosts Bartestree on Saturday afternoon. Wellington were now plying their trade in the Hellenic League following their lateral move in the summer from the West Midlands (Regional) League. The villagers found themselves in the top-half of the First Division (West) table and took a break from league action to defeat local rivals, and Premier Division leaders, Westfields on penalties in the League Cup on Saturday.

Kington Town goalkeeper Tom Lewis was forced into action with a near post save in the third minute before Brendan Hackett headed over at the near post from an inviting cross just a couple of minutes later. The home team were presented with an opportunity to break the deadlock in the 23rd minute, after pouncing on a mistake by the Wellington custodian, but his atoned for his error with a smart save to deny the hosts scoring. The visitors eventually opened the scoring when Saul Lewis cut inside a defender but Tom Lewis was unable to keep out the shot despite getting a strong hand to the ball. The Yellows’ custodian made a smart save with his legs in the 41st minute after the Wellington attack took advantage of some over playing in the home defence, before seeing an effort blazed over from close range in stoppage time after a previous effort had some back off the crossbar. However, the Hellenic League outfit doubled their advantage when a 53rd minute cross was headed in at the far post by Saul Lewis. Wellington extended their lead further on the hour mark when Tom Lewis was lobbed by Saul Lewis following some indecision in the home defence. Kington Town reduced the deficit two minutes later when a shot was parried against the crossbar and former Radnor Valley striker Callum Davies was on hand to turn the ball over the line from close range. Wellington headed over the target from a 65th minute cross and blazed an effort over the crossbar six minutes later. The visitors were unable to keep a 78th minute effort on target after the initial shot was blocked before the Wellington goalkeeper saved a low 25 yard drive. Lewis turned a near post effort behind for a corner in the 85th minute but by then the visitors had done enough to secure progress in the county cup.

2019/10 Statistics
Goals: 394
Matches: 78
New Grounds: 16

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #20 of 28 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chipping Sodbury Town 0 v 2 Keynsham Town Western League Premier Division Admission £6 Prog Online Only Hot Drinks £1 Att 95

Henfield Bee was in the driving seat as we headed west, with an easy run down to Chipping Sodbury, arriving early enough for Henfield Bee to visit the local chippy. Whilst the ground is enclosed it is possible to watch the match from outside and the far end of the ground also seemed to double up as a footpath as some joggers were seen stopping behind the goal to watch a few minutes of the first half. There are 2 seated stands either side of the dugouts and a tea bar behind one of them, there was also a small clubhouse where we obtained 2 large hot drinks before the game. for the first half we stood on the far side, Keynsham had the best of the chances but half time was reached with the game goalless. We then met Main Drain Man prior to the start of the second half and sat with him in the second half, discussing all things football and speedway, in between our chat Keynsham scored in the 60th minute and in stoppage time, when a Keynsham forward chased down a pass and slotted home from the edge of the area. Chipping Sodbury are bottom and on tonight's performance it could be a long season for them. A good journey home and despite the M23 being shut home was reached just after midnight.

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 24, 2019, 9:03 AM

Team(s): Aston Villa Peterborough Sports

Post #21 of 28 (3272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Needham Market 2 Peterborough Sports 1
220 was the attendance though looked more £11 in for adults.
Entertaining game and a deserved win for needham,who dominated for all but first 10 minutes of the second half.
Nice ground with cover on all 4 ends,plenty of parking,extra half hour drive home due to A14 being closed.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 12:34 PM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #22 of 28 (2953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Chipping Sodbury Town 0 v 2 Keynsham Town Western League Premier Division Admission £6 Prog Online Only Hot Drinks £1 Att 95

Henfield Bee was in the driving seat as we headed west, with an easy run down to Chipping Sodbury, arriving early enough for Henfield Bee to visit the local chippy. Whilst the ground is enclosed it is possible to watch the match from outside and the far end of the ground also seemed to double up as a footpath as some joggers were seen stopping behind the goal to watch a few minutes of the first half. There are 2 seated stands either side of the dugouts and a tea bar behind one of them, there was also a small clubhouse where we obtained 2 large hot drinks before the game. for the first half we stood on the far side, Keynsham had the best of the chances but half time was reached with the game goalless. We then met Main Drain Man prior to the start of the second half and sat with him in the second half, discussing all things football and speedway, in between our chat Keynsham scored in the 60th minute and in stoppage time, when a Keynsham forward chased down a pass and slotted home from the edge of the area. Chipping Sodbury are bottom and on tonight's performance it could be a long season for them. A good journey home and despite the M23 being shut home was reached just after midnight.

A particularly enjoyable second half conversation, after being spotted by the Sussex Bees at half time. Great to catch up gents. The very welcoming club official at the gate was amazed by me travelling down from my temporary Ledbury base so would have been well impressed to receive support from Sussex.

It never ceases to amaze where you bump into Kempsterites,: Oceanborn in Enschede and others in Budapest being amongst the most distant ones. Ironically at Pershore on Saturday I was stopped by a fellow Sheffield speedway fan, spotting my hoody, who travels up to home matches from there each week so yet another enjoyable and unexpected conversation followed.

I finished my holiday "hops" last night at Worcester City again intrigued to hear mention of several posters on here from a couple of guys sat behind me #smallworld.

royals26

Oct 24, 2019, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #23 of 28 (2753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round Replay

Grosvenor Vale

Wealdstone 0-2 Maidenhead United
{STEP02 NATS 1st} v {STEP01 NAT 16th}

Adm : £13 - progs sold out and segregation meant restricted access to the Club Shop - Badge fellah outside the ground disappeared by H/T too - was going to try and fill in a few gaps in my collection.... Unimpressed

Att: 835

Directions/Facilities: last visit here 6 1/2 years ago - plenty of new bits added and other bits moved - club shop now behind dugouts - big Tea Bar down one end. Temporary looking Stand in place at the far end with lots of additional seating.

Bar always a bit cramped here but got served at H/T

Left home in good time but crawled through Ickenham/Ruislip and though I arrived c. 19:30 there were no remaining street parking spaces to be found nr ground - had to drive round the back of the stadium and walk quite a way back to the ground entrance.
Not sure why they cannot have 'overflow' parking on the 'green' areas immediately around the stadium - presumably in use for sports/recreation and don't want to mess them up or pay for additional stewarding?

Match: lots of crowd 'engagement' - particularly directed towards the ref but on the pitch Magpies were far too good for the Stones and won through to a first round 'propah' meeting with Rov'rum without too many alarms.
- surprisingly easy bearing in mind the relative positions, with the hosts flying high at the top of National South and the visitors currently at the wrong end of the top tier.

0-1 Kelly 14' poachers goal inside the box

Any chance of parity removed shortly before HT Home no 2 given straight Red for a last man edge of the box challenge/tussle - may also have been deliberate handball - but there were a flurry of arms and red may have been a harsh but was probably merited following the 'afters'.

Stood amongst a few 'one-eyed ultras' on the stepped terrace behind the goal 1st half and they were dishing out fearful and occasionally unpleasant vitriolic abuse to the ref and the visiting players throughout the run up to H/T after the dismissal.
Another ugly incident shortly after, when a decent move saw a big Maidenhead forward bear down on the keeper as he gathered the loose ball - appeared to be shoved from behind into the prone stopper and all kinds of mayhem erupted - with the visiting player possibly fortunate to escape Red as demanded vociferously by all and sundry around me. In my view (and that of the Ref's presumably) he had little control over where he put his feet and trod on the keeper rather than stamped.

HT - moved down to the temporary seated stand at the far end. No soup or Bovril at the Tea bar - did do a vast selection of Burgers (e.g. with Stilton) and chips - but opted for just a Hot Chocolate - why??!! Crazy
- had anticipated getting back home in time for a sneaky 'Chinese' or suchlike. (see below Frown)

0-2 Kelly again; a precise low shot in off far post from inside the box following a very neat passing approach.

Rest of the game drifted with Maidenhead in control and attacking when they felt like it - very few threats at the other end. Visiting fans kept up a steady chant for about the last 20' just to darken the home fans moods further but had probably given up by then.

Saw the infamous 'Raider' near the turnstiles and later in the bar - was escorting one of his own very unsteady gang out of the ground, within the first 5' of the game! Angelic

Journey back a complete &^%$ - big shunt near the A40/M40 interchange meant big queues and then some Highways nerk had, once again Pirate , closed the western access to the M4 at jn 8/9 - but carefully placed all the signs informing motorists of this, beyond the A4 exit of the southbound A404(M) - not the first time they've done this of late - entailed a big double-back.
Really need to check road closures BEFORE leaving and not rely upon the signs - but I never learn! Unsure.
My issue with the M4 and it's 'Smart' upgrade, which is causing all of these overnight slip road/junction closures and the deployment of a myriad of Cones, is that it is so random. For example Eastbound they regularly announce closures on the overhead signs between j14 & 10 that then simply don't happen!

- was not back in Reading until after 23:00 meaning all the decent eateries in my neighbourhood had closed. Mad

Yellowcoat
Junior Team Regular

Oct 24, 2019, 6:02 PM

Post #24 of 28 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Tuesday 22nd October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was also at this & made a similar journey from Reading with the same travelling problems.This was actually the first week grass parking was not available due to the wet conditions. Normally only early or late season though as this the area is also used for junior matches. The bar was more restricted than usual as the main hall was in use by a zumba class.Video highlights available since show that the red card incident was a header back to the keeper by the defender. The attacker ran into the back of him and fell over & apparently even the assistant referee was of the opinion it was not a foul but was not consulted. May explain the discontent of the crowd.

BDA_85
First Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 7:49 PM

Post #25 of 28 (2424 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Retford 2-3 Selby Town

moan (sic) of the match was their no.7

Do you mean Jacko!?! I only know this because when he wasn't moaning he was running about shouting "Jacko wants"!

Tidy setup at Retford.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3