Monday 21st October

Henfield Bee
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 21, 2019, 5:26 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #1 of 12 (4887 views)
Shortcut
Monday 21st October Can't Post or Reply Privately

Colchester United U-23's 0 Cardiff City U-23's (0) 2 - Professional Development League 0 att 35/h/c - team sheet Sol Bamba and Jazz Richards continued their comebacks from injury (ack Sky Sports) in this City win. Neither goal was threatened seriously during 1st half but just 2 mins after Colchester should have scored, Cardiff did. They added a 2nd in last few minutes.

Main pitch at Training complex railed off in front of small spectator area adjacent to offices etc.

New Grounds this season 22: Total Grounds visited 1654

nb: i will only post re new grounds when BurgessHill Bee doesn't..(since he's far better informed than I)

(This post was edited by Henfield Bee on Oct 21, 2019, 5:26 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 22, 2019, 1:27 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 12 (4582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Henfield Bee] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 4Q replay : Stourbridge 3 Whitby Town 2. Admission £10/£7. Programme £2.50. Attendance : 1,092

Stour's recent love affair with the FA Cup goes on but lord knows how Whitby managed to lose this having been gifted a two goal lead and missing a penalty. Stour pulled one back before the interval and for much of the second half it was the visitors who looked like netting next; they didn't and the home side rallied in the latter stages with the increasing pressure paying off in the end. A long late night for the visitors who brought a few dozen with them.
Echoing what Tim has said in the past, there is an undesirable youth element for bigger games here these days which is rather annoying; maybe it's just us getting older and grumpier. Plenty of maturity in hopper corner with catchagogoal, Cox D, Pheasant and Mick Smallman all in concessionary attendance.
The usual great food on offer and the faggots, mushy peas, chips amd gravy for £3 are just glorious.
Stourbridge now await the winners of the Welling v Eastleigh tie in the first round.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2019, 7:08 AM

Post #3 of 12 (4429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....After a particularly poo overw*rked Monday, time to down Mouse and head for Top Field solace between.....

Hitchin Town 1 v 0 Coalville Town - Southern League Premier Division Central
Prog 40 pages £2.00 - Admission £12.00 - Att 282*

* Which as the accompanying Former (as he keeps reminding me of his retirement) Hornetini Teech!!!! is a Palindrome. I knew a little about palindromes prior, I now know a whole lot more.

..... Rather a surprise outcome here with Saturday's outcome meaning that Hitchin had helped Leiston escape from the 'Without a League Win' thread and Colville still very much in situ in the 'Unbeaten in the League' thread, from which now they will be removed after this defeat.

Any thoughts that the visitors would carry on their excellent start to their league season were dispelled by an encouraging Hitchin start who commenced with a number of corners from Alex Marsh and had what from this angle looked like a valid penalty shout dismissed. From the final corner, they scored what turned out to be the only goal of the game with a Lewis Barker header being blocked on the line and Dan Webb diving in forced the ball over the line from close range.

This was the fillip that the contest required with the hosts in particularly combative mode with a typically robust performance from Alex Marsh, who it was noted that they had managed to prise away from Biggleswade where he has been a notable presence in their sudden rise up the food chain. For a top of the table team, Coalville offered surprisingly few chances in the first half, a couple of penalty area scrambles, but there was nearly always a Hitchin defender in situ to block or clear or else the likes of Alex Dean or Tim Berridge could not direct goalwards. Marsh had the best opportunity towards the end of the first half to double the hosts advantage clear of the last defender, he took one touch too many was forced wide though managed to get past the challenge from Saul Deeney put was only able to pull a low cross which went behind the perfectly positioned Barker.

The second half continued in a close fought vein but Coalville for all their efforts overall disappointed. They had a good opportunity to level when Luke Shaw took advantage of the one occasion when the home defence was slow in reacting but having a yard advantage did not count for anything as he slipped on the surface and Charlie Horlock was able to rush out and gather. Apart from that, a low cross from Kian Taylor took a large deflection off of Dan Webb but fortunately for Hitchin travelled narrowly wide of the near post. Far too frequently, for the hosts there was too many defensive bodies in the way or there was a timely block in the way of a shot. Hitchin thought that they had doubled their advantage when Barker touched in Webb's near post header from a Marsh corner, but he had strayed offside as the instant raising of the linesman's flag indicated. The hosts were particularly adept in the closing minutes of managing the flow of the game and for their efforts they just about deserved to end Coalville's unbeaten start.

As mentioned far too frequently, the quirky environs of Top Field are this end an ideal venue to wile away a Monday evening, one of the few remaining English unmodernised venues with wooden stands and terracing that in essence looks similar to when the first visit was made in way off Eighties days. There is always a high codger count here, but these unusually are enthusiastic codgers who understand the limitations of those that they are watching rather than use the occasion as an opportunity to dispense their societal frustrations.

Reasonably straightforward train journeys with only a few minutes delay in both directions and with the accompanying Mr Former Teech!!! extolling the virtues of not wo*rking for a living, the minutes on the return journey flew by. Indoors a few minutes before the end of Monday....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on Oct 22, 2019, 7:28 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2019, 8:14 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #4 of 12 (4260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bet Victor Southern One South
infiLED Arena
Melksham Town 4 Moneyfields 6
Admission: £8 Paper available Attendance: 306

I really don't know where to start with this or explain what I witnessed...
First things first, this was an extraordinary game of football; home side had a few changes with the regular keeper Bartlett not available (he's serving in the RAF and can't do midweeks) we had Shaftoe, our Ressies keeper, in between the sticks. A debut for Christopher, newly signed from Cirencester, too. Both sides came in to this with similar patchy early season records.
Town started brightly with some good attacks, particularly down the right and Monelle and Ballinger both went close before the usual Town dithering at the back, allowing the Moneys to dance along the edge of the box evading weak tackles before laying the ball off to Raine who thumped it home past a static Shaftoe on 10.
The rest of the half was all Town; equity was restored on 13 when Warren poked home a free-kick at the far post after the ball evaded what seemed like the whole away side's team. On 15 , Ball swivelled on the 6 yard line and, in a flash, pushed the ball past the keeper. On 32, Ballinger cut in down the left and curled a beauty high into the top corner. Finaly on 45, Ball added his second with a low finish. The visitors were all over the place, the home side rampant. HT-4-1.
Even then as I chatted to a few regulars, each one of them said 4-1 wasn't enough...please read on...
I have to state that the defence this season is brittle; confidence can collapse and we panic under pressure but I have never...never...seen a Town defence crumble such as I witnessed tonight. Moneys scored FIVE goals in 13 minutes, four from set pieces.
Town conceded with a close finish by Hutchings on 53 from a corner and he repeated this feat a minute later; both corners poorly defended and I blame our keeper. Instead of calming things; we then went into headless chicken mode flying into tackles where we didn't need to and hoofing clearances up into the air which just generated more panic. On 57 Fennemore finished calmly from a loose ball melee in the box. That was 4-4. Ballinger then hit the post with a header on 60, however another silly tackle on 61 saw Bailey smash th free-kick high past Shaftoe; IMHO the wall was badly set even from where I stood (and as an ex-keeper), so that was at least avoidable. Repeat on 66 to conclude; another free-kick from Bailey which Shaftoe could only push into the roof of the net.
It still should have ended 6-6 as Ball missed a good chance on 71, Ojo did brilliantly to create another on 76 and both Latas and Ball should have scored on 81 in a goal mouth melee. It is just that everything we touched in the first half went in; in the second it didn't.
Rather deflated at the final whistle; I've never seen us concede six in a competitive game; although my goal average per game improved. It was just the manner of it all that annoyed me and a lot of the home faithful. Managers Richard Fey and Nathan Rudge need to do some urgent work on this team's defence. We can score but we cannot defend and that's a big problem. Even after their 5 goal blitz Moneys didn't look great; this will paper over their own problems.
On a final note, somebody trolled me on Facebook Messenger saying he had evidence that the result was fixed for betting purposes; I ignored it and really hope that isn't the case.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 81 Goals: 320 GPG: 3.95 New Grounds: 45

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Oct 22, 2019, 8:16 AM)

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Oct 22, 2019, 10:36 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 12 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

QPR Under 23s 1 Ipswich Town Under 23s 1
Harlington Sports Ground - 1pm
Professional development League

Admission: Free
Programme: Free teamsheet
Attendance: 73 h/c
Allowed in and even parked inside the complex then some steward said we had to wait at the gate till 15 minutes before kick off! Two young teams so you get a competitive game with plenty of skill on display and the only shock was that we only got two goals. Just like at Ipswich the 'locals' had their favourite and not so favourite steward's!

Then a couple of coffee stops as only a short drive to my second game of the day:

Maidenhead United Under 18s 6 Cray Wanderers Under 18s 2
FA Youth Cup, Third Qualifying Round
York Road

Admission: £5
Programme: Free with admission
Attendance: 138 h/c

Wish I had visited this ground earlier, real old school - historical ( claim to be oldest football ground to be continually used by same club) A real town centre ground and can see why a must visit for all hoppers. Tea hut open, clubhouse bar shut but a few were in clubhouse to watch FA Cup draw.

Maidenhead started quickly and within 20 minutes were two up and it did seem like this would be a hammering but Cray had plenty of fight and got one back on 37 minutes.

Second half was a goal feast with Maidenhead getting the first but almost immediately, Cray got one back however we then had a couple of long range quality goals, Cray lost their shape and Maidenhead kept shooting . So in the end an easy win for the home team on what was an entertaining game.

Last New ground; Rochdale Games in 2019/20 Season; 53, New Grounds this Season; 26, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town Under 18 v Exeter City Under 18 - FAYC (16/11/19)

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

BDA_85
First Team Star

Oct 22, 2019, 1:01 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

+1 here. As usual, very little to add to timmy tabby's review.

Coalville Town had a supporter behind the goal that let out a bizarre yelp every time the Hitchin GK made a clearance but that did very little to put him off clearing the ball almost the length of the pitch.

John403
Youth Team Regular

Oct 22, 2019, 7:16 PM

Team(s): Fulham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #7 of 12 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Hitchin and glad I wasnít the only one who noticed that noise every time the keeper kicked the ball - very odd!!!

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 22, 2019, 8:54 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #8 of 12 (2878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
FA Cup 4Q replay : Stourbridge 3 Whitby Town 2. Admission £10/£7. Programme £2.50. Attendance : 1,092

Stour's recent love affair with the FA Cup goes on but lord knows how Whitby managed to lose this having been gifted a two goal lead and missing a penalty. Stour pulled one back before the interval and for much of the second half it was the visitors who looked like netting next; they didn't and the home side rallied in the latter stages with the increasing pressure paying off in the end. A long late night for the visitors who brought a few dozen with them.
Echoing what Tim has said in the past, there is an undesirable youth element for bigger games here these days which is rather annoying; maybe it's just us getting older and grumpier. Plenty of maturity in hopper corner with catchagogoal, Cox D, Pheasant and Mick Smallman all in concessionary attendance.
The usual great food on offer and the faggots, mushy peas, chips amd gravy for £3 are just glorious.
Stourbridge now await the winners of the Welling v Eastleigh tie in the first round.

Also at this. Little to add other than to echo comments about the knobhead contingent, whose antics did enough to put me off going to the next round: I watch non league football to get away from this sort of thing. Also present: Cox G, Cooper R, Munday S, Baggie Andrew, Bradshaw, Backwell Ted, Karldax and his brother and a carload from Bristol. Apologies to anyone I've missed - it was the biggest hoppers' corner for a long time.

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #9 of 12 (2314 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

That's a pity as, had I realised you would be here ,I would have looked to you to show me the recommended hostelries around the area. We are currently on the second week of our belated annual vacation , cottaging ,in the original sense, near Ledbury.

With my original intention to do Wolves speedway tonight thwarted by the match being pulled from the list, the original league match listed at Stour floated my boat as an alternative. With the FA Cup replay instead, it gave me a chance to support a team from God's Own albeit over 100 miles away from my birthplace.

Dodgy knees meant I had to use the main stand but kept turning around feeling I had heard the dulcet tones of Mr Smallman, only to see some rather less aesthetic looking locals berating the referee. Mick would never do that.

I usually donít post on here simply saying I agree with an earlier poster, but I fully support your comments. Following a comedy opening goal, Wren didn't need much effort to save the penalty but was more heroic in getting down to stop the follow up, with his team mates seemingly being slower to react. I felt Brown for Stourbridge, also, warranted my player of the match selection.

Food looked great but with a takeaway curry waiting my return I daren't risk overstuffing my sylph like body.

Whilst maybe not doing a match report I had intended posting with my own comments about the idiots in the shed. I haven't witnessed anything like that for years. Opening comments by the announcer made me suspicious that there had been a history, but it was appalling to witness, even more with the support to those causing the bother, by many older and less wise homesters sat around me. Like you Mr Buncranaboy I don't consider myself to be a miserable git, even if I can't deny the OLD part, but couldn't help thinking I'd gone back 40 years, to when I was ironically working/studying in the West Midlands.

Timís comments are even more applicable and respected (BTW Tim the Beesí boys, I ironically met at Chipping Sodbury last night were enquiring after your wellbeing). Whilst this made me more willing on a Whitby victory, I felt total sympathy for the ridiculed announcer and his like and it would be wrong for them and true Glassboy fans to suffer through the actions of these clingons. Iíd like to say it ruined my enjoyment of the game but that would be churlish and as a neutral it was quite enjoyable.

Something perverse also got me hoping that one day they meet up with some proper thugs, and watching them run letting the true fans enjoy the benefits of a cup win in the correct manner.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 23, 2019, 1:28 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #10 of 12 (2197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Main Drain Man] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can vouch for Mr Smallman's exemplary behaviour throughout. You most likely heard a chap at the front near us, hurling a torrent of expletive laden abuse towards the pitch, with his arm around his young daughter or granddaughter. This is the third instance of this in recent years, all from different perpetrators. It's hard to feel part of the 'Stourbridge Family' when confronted with this. I could say more, but discretion is....

Main Drain Man
Youth Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 12:01 AM

Team(s): Kingstonian, Ipswich Town, Sheffield United, Rotherham United and East Fife

Post #11 of 12 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I can vouch for Mr Smallman's exemplary behaviour throughout. You most likely heard a chap at the front near us, hurling a torrent of expletive laden abuse towards the pitch, with his arm around his young daughter or granddaughter. This is the third instance of this in recent years, all from different perpetrators. It's hard to feel part of the 'Stourbridge Family' when confronted with this. I could say more, but discretion is....

We must have been fairly close as I think I know who you are talking about; although it was a portlier, older and balder guy who was the MS soundalike. in the back row. Sorry I never spotted you to say hello. Incredible attitudes some have behaving like that in front of their own easily influenced younger family members.

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Oct 24, 2019, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #12 of 12 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Monday 21st October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

May I throw in my fourpenny worth in saying I was equally irritated by the bad behaviour of those who continue to bring discredit to club and town. What made me feel doubly uncomfortable was that as well as a super day out at the original tie I had recently holidayed in this wonderful part of the country. Next time I'm up there I may well feel a tad ill at ease in mentioning where I come from. "Who the effin' hell are you?" chanted the morons. Well they were people who had taken time off to make a 400 mile round journey and would not be home until the wee small hours. No-one deserves to be the butt of such intimidation let along someone who has made such an effort to see their team. Sad to say but there are some who are incapable of watching a match without a pint of beer in hand and who I fear will never be old enough to know better. As for the easily led youngsters (one Herbert who was being marched towards the exit gates looked all of 14) maybe a touch of humiliation might do the trick. Security personnel were apparently equipped with body cameras for the evening so if there is any footage of kids playing up would it not be worthwhile sending such stills to the headmasters of all the local secondary schools in the area with a letter asking for comments on such behaviour. I understand teenagers have "citizenship" lessons on what is appropriate conduct. A discussion on Monday's shenanigans would I'm sure prove illuminating and might be just what is required for one or two of these toerags to "lose face".

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3