First Team Regular

Oct 19, 2019, 4:43 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 79 (11663 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 19th October Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield & District Fair Play League Cup - 1st round
Sheffield International 4-3 Glide House

Inter (Division 4) entertained Glide House (Division 2) in the first round of the League Cup. We started off well but gave away two sloppy goals early on to give the visitors a fortuitous lead, but we then hit back with four goals in the remainder of the half. Glide grabbed a third goal with ten minutes remaining and hit the bar with the last kick of the game, but Inter held on for a well deserved cup upset. Wouldn't mind an away game at a decent ground in the next round.

From a personal standpoint, I was very happy to get 90 minutes under my belt in central-midfield, though if Glide had equalised in the last minute rather than hit the bar, I fear I might have been struggling to play the full two hours.

Great morning's work.

Full-Time link - http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/...xture.do?id=20089275

(This post was edited by kivo on Oct 19, 2019, 4:49 PM)

noprogs
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 5:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 79 (11648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Lindley 2 Junction 1
Huddersfield FA Challenge Cup

An oddity this, in that this was the game we intended to visit, buy not at the ultimate venue.
AFC Lindley have quoted quite frequently on twitter recently, but didn't mention the match had been switched earlier this week. Arriving at their ground we were told the tie had been reversed, but not sure where the opposition were based.
I knew there was supposed to be a game at nearby Huddersfield New College, but I thought this was Mount v Dalton. On arriving two teams were warming up, and much to my surprise it was AFC Lindley v Junction.
Two teams from the second tier of the Huddersfield League created lots of chances , but for the first hour the finishing was woeful.
Lindley took the lead, were soon levelled, and equally quickly nicked the winner.
The game could easily have gone either way, but not a lot of sympathy from me for the visitors. The only booking of the match was to their manager ( & linesman!) for his constant moaning. He and his felllow fans confirmed my long held suspicion that Huddersfield fans are the most one-eyed in West Yorkshire football.
Still. a day that could have ended a lot worse.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 19, 2019, 6:01 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 79 (11566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.
Paget Rangers 0 Leicester Road 6.
Adm £5
Prog £2*
Att 49
Carling £3.70
This game was pretty much over with eleven on the clock with a rush of blood to the head which resulted in Paget going a man down and already trailing to a Read goal on 3 minutes. I doubt it would have made much difference to be honest as knitters on this sort of form take some stopping. Further goals from Read, Munton, Jenno, Harrison and Gomes made this a very profitable day in Sutton Coldfield.

Pre match drinking took place in The Bottle of Sack which is always the norm when I find myself heading to Coles Lane and is always the norm the place didn't disappoint.

*Rarely bother with programmes these days but a mention must be given to the excellent publication on show at Paget. Probably the best I have seen at step 6,full of stats and interesting reading.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 6:01 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 79 (11561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southampton Senior Cup Round 2

Netley Central Sports 1 Priory Rovers 2

admission/programme none, attendance 9
second bottom of Hants Prem Div 1 v Southampton Senior Division (only one league game played so far)
Decent enough cup tie with the visitors largely in control, but the home team battled all the way, and ran them closer than maybe they should have. The visitors started well, and it was in midfield that they established the upper hand, Moyo's long passes catching the eye. Connor was put through but his chip went wide, then another shot from him on the left was saved. In between Heapy had a shot from the right, also wide. Netley defended well but had trouble keeping the ball for long, so the forwards were looking for scraps. Priory had a goal disallowed before taking the lead after 31 mins, a shot from 25 yards by Sutton was well-struck, but left Dyke flat-footed as the ball hit the net. The home team came back and should have equalised when Blissett's shot from distance was heading for the top corner but visiting keeper Kinloch, impressive throughout, flew through the air to tip it round the post. Blissett was at it again soon afterwards, chasing a through ball, but was denied by a great covering tackle. Church shot wide for the home team and Connor came close at the other end with another chip, but it stayed HT 0-1.
After the break the home team's change in formation made it harder for the visitors, but they soon regained control - Connor showed superb technique to control a ball on his chest, but his volley was over, Dyke made a good save by the post from a long shot by Heapy, and an error saw K.Hobbs have the time to curl a shot just wide. Netley then stepped it up a bit and Elgeti set up Bryan for a shot, saved, then Blissett raced clear, and only a last-ditch tackle stopped him. However, Netley equalised on 62 mins as Blissett won the ball out on the left (appeals for a foul) and crossed for Bryan to head powerfully in at the near post. Almost straight from the kick-off, the ball went down the other end and Connor went clear, stabbing the ball under Dyke to put his side back in the lead. Soon after the home team's Wakefield was lucky only to see yellow after unwittingly tripping an onrushing forward. N.Turner had a free-kick saved for Priory, but the home team put pressure on them in the last 10 mins, looking for an equaliser. Church thought he had it, but was (correctly) given offside, then Elgeti's free-kick from inside his own half had to be tipped over by Kinloch, but the visitors deservedly held out in the end.
No changes to Station Road from my last visit as described in March, but Netley have a new board, a new team (a lot from Sunday football) and a new manager as from this week who seems to have the right ideas. The effort was there today, with a couple of players returning they should improve. I wish them luck. Priory are another Southampton League side who look as if the could hold their own in the HPFL. No tea bar today, the pitch was roped off but the hardstanding is already overgrown.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Oct 19, 2019, 6:05 PM)

philglossop
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 19, 2019, 6:28 PM

Team(s): Saltash United

Post #5 of 79 (11462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SWPL W Division St Dennis 1 Saltash United 6 Attendance around 50?

They say Leagues cannot be won or lost in October. Equally to win a league sometimes you have win and win ugly or have the most unfortunate luck not to score more if it comes down to goal difference.

Today was one of those days. Saltash were far from the team controlled display against St Blazey midweek. But they had their reasons to be honest.

My first time at St Dennis's Boscowen Park. I like it. It's a weird mix of industrial both past (China Clay heaps) and modern (Cornwalls incinerator) in the background, with a rural setting. Mind you, I'd not like to be here in February in a biting wind. It's a tad open and exposed.

In terms of furniture, good stand, and all thats missing is the floodlights, but its be fair and questionable that St Dennis will be challenging for Step 5 in the next couple of years, not thats an disservice to them, but floodlights would be nice, not vital! This is a club which rebuilt itself in the last 15 years anyway from the Duchy League!

Onto the game. It's fair to say that the grass length played a massive part on this game. St Dennis clearly like it long, and Saltash did have issues with it. Two quick goals in the 11th and 13th minute, before St Dennis hit one back in 26th. The pitch was playing havoc and although Saltash got a 3rd in 37th , by my count, a half time score of 2-5 wouldnt have been out of the question.

Second half saw Saltash score in the 58th and then in the 61st and 83rd to record a win. By my count Saltash had at least 4 or 5 off the crossbar- but the St Dennis goal had a charmed life and they did resort to a 10 - 0 -1 formation come the end!

With Helston, Mousehole and Bodmin all winning, I think most Ashes fans will have taken the 3 points come the end.,

stingray
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 6:54 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #6 of 79 (11282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern Division 1 Central
BARTON ROVERS 1-1 BERKHAMSTED
Admission £8.00 Prog £2.00 Tea, Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance about 90 (surprising, given how full the car park was)

Much huffing and puffing throughout the game but neither side were really able to make much of an impact during the first half. Berkhamsted's opener must have come while I was having my tea and crisps in the clubhouse but the hosts never gave up and managed to force their equaliser right at the death to the obvious chagrin of the Berkhamsted manager who's rant could clearly be heard through the toilet walls.

Definitely a point gained for Barton and well deserved against the division's leaders.

2019/20 stats

54 goals in 14 games
£142.75 spent

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 6:54 PM

Post #7 of 79 (11279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Builth Wells 2 Ton Pentre 3

Lant Field: JD Welsh Cup First Round

This afternoon saw a return to the JD Welsh Welsh Cup, in the heart of mid Wales, following trips to Lucas Cwmbran and Barmouth and Dyffryn United in the previous two rounds of this season's competition. This was my second visit of the campaign to the Lant Field after previously having watched the Wyesiders' opening MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League First Division fixture against Berriew on a warm Saturday afternoon back in August. Despite the rain that had fallen in these parts since Thursday evening, this match survived a early morning inspection, which enabled the Bulldogs to make the journey north up the A470 and for the hosts it was one of the biggest matches to take place on the Lant Field in recent years. Builth Wells have enjoyed a fine couple of seasons since gaining promotion as Second Division champions in 2017/18. Last season, under the stewardship of new manager Dylan McPhee, the Wyesiders finished in sixth position upon their return to the top flight of the league and lifted the League Cup for the very first time with victory over Caersws in the final at Rhayader Town's Weirglodd ground. The Breconshire outfit have maintained their form this terms as they found themselves in second place in the table following a 4-2 victory at Carno last weekend. Whilst today's hosts have been upwardly mobile in recent years, Ton Pentre have fallen on harder times, after having been the first Welsh club to participate in the Intertoto Cup back in 1995. Sadly, the Ynys Park were forced to withdraw from the top echelon of domestic football a couple of years later due to financial problems, but did go on to reach a Welsh Cup semi-final in 2002/03. Last term saw the Bulldogs relegated from the second tier of the pyramid and the currently found themselves in the lower echelons of the Welsh League First Division. The Rhondda outfit have not played since their 5-1 victory at South Wales Alliance club Vale United in the previous round of the competition.

The early stages of this cup tie were relatively evenly contested and neither team carved out any clear goal scoring opportunities. Josh Price headed a 12th minute free-kick into the penalty area straight at the Ton Pentre goalkeeper before Kevin Bishop saw his header thunder back off the crossbar from a 23rd minute corner. Yet it was the Bulldogs that eventually opened the coring two minutes later, following a throw-in on the right flank which picked out Leroy Thomas, before he drove infield and surprised Builth Wells goalkeeper Stuart Turpin with a low 25 yard effort that nestled in the bottom corner of the net. The Welsh League visitors nearly doubled their advantage three minutes later when a shot was dragged wide of the far post after a corner was pulled back to the edge of the Wyesiders' penalty area. However, the home team were back on level terms in the 31st minute when a penalty was successfully converted, but the award of the spot-kick even seemed to surprise the Builth Wells players as they did not even appeal for a penalty. That was the way the scoreline remained at the interval but the visitors appeared that they were not going to return from the changing rooms, following some displeasure with the officiating, but did eventually resume several minutes after the home players. Ton Pentre headed wide of the near post from a 50th minute cross on the right before the hosts saw a close range effort smuggled off the line from a corner three minutes later. Builth Wells fired an effort wide of the target from a 59th minute corner before Bulldogs regained the lead on the hour mark when Robbie George drove from near halfway before calmly guiding the ball past Turpin. The Wyesiders were back on level terms five minutes later when Josh Price headed home from close range following an inviting cross from out on the right flank. It took Ton Pentre just a minute to regain the lead after breaking swiftly down the left flank and ending the move with another calm by Thomas finish past Turpin. The home custodian made a smart save with his legs in the 81st minute before the hosts day was summed-up five minutes later when they were inches away from equalising following a free-kick played in the Bulldogs' penalty area but the ball was hacked away to safety.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 390
Matches: 77
New Grounds: 16

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2019, 6:56 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #8 of 79 (11248 views)
Shortcut

Abertillery Bluebirds 3-1 Penparcau
Welsh Cup 1st Round

A fairly even first half, with the deadlock finally broken just before the interval following a goalmouth scramble resulting in Abertillery taking the lead. Prior to that the closest to a goal was an effort from long range for the visitors which clipped the bar. It didn't take long in the second half for the lead to be extended and for a while it was fairly comfortable. The third arrived with about quarter of a hour to play, but Penparcau finally got a goal of their own from the penalty spot a couple of minutes later. They had more of the later chances, but once again the earest they came was an effort off the top of the bar (this time from close range).

This is the last season for Abertillery at the Sports Centre 3G according to their programme, intending to be back at Cwm Nant-y-Groes next season. It's already had a new clubhouse.

The ground they are currently using is fairly basic, but does have access round all sides and a small amount of cover down one side (but no back, so not much use if it gets too windy). There is also a long jump pit behind the far goal, but no sign of any other athletics facility. Despite being played at the sports centre, they didn't use changing rooms there, but presumably at the neighbouring school.

Surprised to see the three officals miked up to communicate with each other.

osborne
First Team Sub

Oct 19, 2019, 7:19 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #9 of 79 (11106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chirk AAA 0 CPD LLannefydd 3 Welsh Cup
Admission £2/£1
Programme- free with admission.
Tea £1
h/c 63.

There is a decent sized car park in front of the club, the ground is behind this. A changing room complex, is next to the tea bar and this in turn is next to a stand with approx. 80 seats. The stand is located in the corner behind the goal. There is also cover in front of the tea bar. There is hard standing around 3 sides of the ground and I chose to watch from the dug out side of the ground.
The first half was fairly even with both sides seeing chances saved by the goalkeepers. The lower ranked visitors took the lead just before half time, from a great footballing move.
The second half saw the home side reduced to 10 men when their centre half bought down a visiting player who was clear through on goal. Penalties in the 74th and 89th minutes confirmed the win for Llannefydd, the last one was awarded despite my friends and I thinking the tackle was outside the box. Chirk were always in the game but lacked a cutting edge until the end when finally they started to get the ball into the box, rather than play it around all the time.
An entertaining game and I could be tempted to watch Llannefydd if they get a home draw in the next round.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2019, 7:28 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #10 of 79 (11039 views)
Shortcut

Following my Plans A and B falling foul of a long closure of the M1 at Sheffield and the weather respectively, I decided on a two game day, starting off with a revisit for:

Pilkington 1 Steeton 3, North West Counties Cup 1st Round, Att: 71, Admission: £3, Prog: No (they haven't been delivered/we can't find them - presumably code for "we couldn't be bothered")

As this was a 12 noon kick off due to St Helens Town being at home in the same competition, this seemed worth a stop off for a bracketed tick (not that such things bother me). Much age-group activity upon my arrival with numerous mini games taking place on the football and rugby league 3G pitches showing the benefit of facilities such as this. Sadly none of those taking part in those games stayed to support the first of the main events which was a shame as this was a very watchable cup tie, visitors Steeton recovering from a slow start to end deserved winners against a Pilkington side who simply couldn't taker their chances. As expected, no changes to the Ruskin Drive venue which didn't seem quite as grating on the eye as on my last visit - I must be mellowing in my old age. From here, it was a 45 minute dash through Preston for:

Lytham Town 6 Whitehaven 1, West Lancashire League Premier Division, Att: 20, Admission/Prog: No

Lytham are on a 12 month secondment to the ground formerly used by BAE Warton in this league some 30 years ago and it is a very basic venue for Step 7. Spectator viewing is restricted to one side which is taped off with dugouts inconveniently sited on the same side with the opposite side up against the perimeter security fence enclosing the airfield. Changing facilities and a tea bar are in a building a short walk across the field which was very wet and although the pitch itself held up well, I would suggest this is not one to visit on a wet day. Whitehaven started like they had only just got off the bus and they were 3-0 down after five minutes and four behind after 17. After that however, things evened out and the visitors pulled one back on the hour mark and might have had a second soon afterwards before Lytham scored two more goals late on. Several familiar faces amongst the sparse crowd including an ailing Tram who surprisingly hadn't been here before and will have welcomed the early goals.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #11 of 79 (11010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bures United 1-0 Gosfield United (HT: 1-0)
Essex & Suffolk Border League Division 1 (Step 8)

10th v 1st (16 team division)
Admission: Free
Programme: No
Attendance: 11 h/c

16 miles from home, this was another E&SBL ground to tick off.
There was an adequate car park here for the level.
There was also a small club house, but, it was unattended so you couldn’t buy refreshments.
As is common for this level, there was no hard standing, cover or pitch surround.

Table-topping Gosfield had only lost once this season, with a 100% away record.
Bures had scored 6 in both of their previous two home matches so I was hoping that a goal fest was on the cards.
In the end a solitary first half goal from the home side, which looked like an own goal, was the highlight of a none too entertaining game.
The Bures keeper was substituted on 17 minutes, presumably for an injury, but Gosfield rarely troubled the replacement in what I guess was on off day for the visitors.
Both sides upped the tempo for the last 10 minutes as Gosfield looked for an equaliser, and Bures to make the game safe.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Oct 19, 2019, 7:36 PM

Post #12 of 79 (10965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

Afc Fylde 6-1 Peterborough Sports...FA Cup 4QR...Adm £7....Prog £2.50

I always like to take in FA Cup action where possible and by charging a modest £7 they edged it over a trip to Skipton in the Craven Cup.

Arrived early, no problem getting a parking spot by the Hockey pitch where Fylde Womens Hockey team were just warming up for their game against Timperley.

Back to the footy....Fylde took a while to get going and Posh Sports acquitted themselves for the first hour. Under the temporary managerial team of John Hills and Brett Ormerod, Fylde open the scoring through Danny Rowe with a low shot on 27 minutes. It stayed that way till half time.

On 58 minutes Matty Kosylo curled in a second for Fylde as they started to finally find their gears. Danny Rowe added a third on 66 mins and completed his hat-trick on 71 minutes. Another ex Fleetwood player Nick Haughton added the fifth on 82 mins. Dion Sembie Feris had been identified as the main threat by Fylde and the No 7 pulled a goal back in the 90th minute. Enough stoppage time remained for Fylde to add a sixth on 90+2 minutes when sub Don Bradley netted.
Had a chat with the couple from Glasgow who won the half time raffle, they are staying in the hotel at the top of the stand and the footage of their rooms showed off a quality room but they dont come cheap. £120 for a pitch facing room and £110 for a view facing west.

All in all a decent afternoon and back home in time to see the coaches from Burton leaving Fleetwood.

AndyE
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 7:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 79 (10891 views)
Shortcut

Kent Senior Trophy First Round

West Wickham 7 Chatham Town 1
Admission no charge, Programme £2. Attendance: 83.

Chatham Town's starting line up showed eleven changes from the one that put Beckenham Town out of the FA Vase on Wednesday. Apparently the Kent Senior Trophy is a "tinpot competition" and the management and the board made it extremely clear that they had no interest in it. That's not what they were saying when they won it in April.

As for West Wickham, they're an AFA club who play in the Kent Senior Trophy every year for historical reasons. They wouldn't be challenging to win the Southern Counties East league if they were parachuted into it, but they wouldn't get relegated either. In fact, they've discussed pyramid football a few times and they're not interested - they'd have to build dugouts, a stand, put up floodlights, rearrange their clubhouse so that the toilets aren't accessed via the changing rooms, and a dozen more things besides, and their crowds wouldn't be any bigger for it.

West Wickham were 5-0 up at half time, and it would have been more with better finishing. Chatham were less dreadful in the second half, mainly because the Assistant Manager - 42 and most definitely retired - played the second half, and hasn't lost what he had when he played for Chatham a decade ago. The home club still scored two more goals, as well as hitting the post and seeing the ball twice cleared off the line, although Chatham did grab a consolation goal on the hour.

The Chairman told me to **** off when I suggested that maybe the supporters should have been warned about the team he decided to put out, and one of the coaching staff told me that the club "doesn't need people like you". In that case, they need no longer have me. A woman I have never met before - she hasn't been at 90% of all the home and away games for the last twenty years - told me that I was "disrespecting the club" by being unhappy about what went off today. The club was, of course, in no way disrespecting its supporters or the Kent FA.

This has been my last report on a Chatham Town game. Best of luck to West Wickham FC in the next round.

pokal02
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #14 of 79 (10881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Potters Bar T 1-1 Barnet
FAC 4Q
Att 2,011 Adm £15 Prog 2.50

Segregation used for this one with the Bees fans restricted to standing.
With a very small terrace and mostly uncovered hardstanding (fortunately it didn't rain) it was was necessary to arrive 40 mins before KO to get any sort of decent view. The home end was much the same but they also had the two seated stands. Didn't attempt car parking here as it was an easy bus ride.

The less said about the game from a Bees viewpoint the better. After a neat finish from Walker on 16 mins and a well saved Bees pen on 51, we gradually got worse without threatening to concede. The end of the game was dreadful with Bees' Pavey suffering a broken leg in injury time and the ten men then conceding an own goal in the further time added on for the injury.

We can't be any worse in the replay (can we?....) One rthing's for sure, 2,000 won't be turning up for it.

Atavistic
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 19, 2019, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #15 of 79 (10808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
Carshalton Athletic 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 1

Admission: £10, Programme: Online only
Attendance: 726 (official)

Dagenham & Redbridge started on the front foot in terms of possession, but it was Carshalton who had the first clear-cut chance in the 3rd minute: a half volley from the edge of the box was headed downwards and towards goal but went narrowly wide instead. From the goal kick that followed, D&R went straight up the other end and won a free kick on the right side of the box: the free kick was then palmed over for a corner by Carshalton keeper Kleton Perntreou. After this initial flurry, the rest of the half saw chances come at a premium: both teams had efforts on goal throughout the half (D&R more so as they continued to have the majority of possession), but very few came from open play and most were wasted. This meant that it remained 0-0 going into half-time.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first, with D&R controlling proceedings and Carshalton doing their best to hold firm and take chances on the counter. This approach saw the home side take the lead through Bobby Price in the 51st minute: Christie Pattisson cut into the box and had a shot blocked, then another effort or two was blocked before the ball fell to Price, who shot low into the bottom corner to score. D&R didn't take long to respond and quickly made a couple of substitutions. This paid off in the 65th minute as substitute Reece Grant equalised for the away side: he was able to elude his marker and head in unmarked at the far post from a left-wing cross.

At this stage, the momentum seemed to have swung firmly in D&R's favour and only one outcome seemed likely. However, after weathering the storm for ten or so minutes, Carshalton made some substitutes of their own in pursuit of a winner and began to venture forwards again. In the 84th minute, that winner came courtesy of a fine solo finish from Ricky Korboa: he was able to run unchallenged down the left wing, turn past a defender on the edge of the box and shoot low to score. D&R threw everything forwards after this in search of an equaliser, but Carshalton were able to hold on for a famous victory.

Overall, this was a good old-fashioned cup upset, with Dagenham & Redbridge dominating possession throughout and creating a multitude of chances, forcing Carshalton to hold firm and make do with the occasional counter-attack. The home side carried out this role to perfection and were deserved victors, not least because Dagenham & Redbridge struggled to produce many effective chances despite all their possession.

The ground is a good one for Step 3, with a decently-sized main stand, a couple of small covered terraces behind each goal and an impressive covered terrace running the full length of the pitch on the far side.

I didn't need a 3G pitch on a day like this, but it was worth it to see a cup upset take place.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 16 (Most Recent: CB Hounslow United)
Games: 25
Goals: 81
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.24
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 19, 2019, 8:02 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #16 of 79 (10711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Copthorne 8 Littlehampton United 0
Southern Combination League Division 2
Admission Free Programme £1

Perfect place to visit on a warm and sunny Autumn afternoon. Pitch roped off on all 4 sides, portable dugouts on the far side the only football furniture. Building in one corner housed the changing rooms and tea bar, from where the excellent programme was available. A covered but unenclosed porch attached to the building could house a dozen or so spectators on a wet day, but not required today. A park bench next to the building, set back about 10 yards from the pitch was a good place to watch the game, as was a raised grass bank which ran the rest of this side. Otherwise it was flat, open standing. First half was fairly even, Copthorne looking the better team in the final third of the pitch, and taking a 2-0 lead by half time. Second half was totally dominated by the home side, carving out the away defence at will.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2019, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #17 of 79 (10385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Royston Town 1 Maldon & Tiptree 3 (HT 0-2)
FA Cup, Fourth Round Qualifying
Admission £10
Programme £2 (52pp, plenty of reading, minimal design)
Attendance 1,152 (club record)
The usual refreshments available (didn't bother)

Maldon & Tiptree, top scorers in this season's FA Cup, were grateful for the woodwork as they reached round one. Royston, watched by a club record crowd, struck a post twice and the crossbar during an entertaining tie. Scott Bridges (7mins) saw an 18-yard shot come back off a post as the Crows began brightly. But the visitors, top of Isthmian League North after six straight wins, described to me by a home supporter as "Colchester United Academy in disguise", took control by scoring twice in 10 minutes. Crows left-back and captain Dan Braithwaite (21mins) turned a teasing cross into his own net then Danny Parish (31mins), unmarked at the back post, tapped home a low ball in from the right. Royston, playing down Garden Walk's appreciable slope, bossed the second half. Bridges (47mins) flicked a Gus Scott-Morriss cross onto the bar. From a 55th-minute Bridges corner, big centre-back Ben Martin, timing to perfection a late run into the box, found the net with a thumping header. Speedy Crows substitute Josh Castiglione (58mins) then wrongfooted the keeper with a clever shot on the turn, only to see his effort rebound to safety off the inside of a post. To add insult to injury, Maldon & Tiptree went 3-1 up with their only shot of the second half. Neat passing left Jorome Slew (65mins) free on the right side of the box, and he crashed a tremendous low drive into the bottom corner. Royston, 13th in Southern Premier Central, continued to press but never threatened another goal. I gather Maldon & Tiptree now host the televised first round draw - on Monday evening, presumably.

I really liked Garden Walk, a smashing little ground, compact and atmospheric, boasting four stands. Two are kit stands. The others are interesting: the all-seat main stand, with Royston Town Football Club spelled out in large black letters on its white rear wall, and a curious wooden shelter reminiscent of a village cricket pavilion. Mature trees fringe the westernmost two-thirds of Garden Walk. Some pleasing autumn colours this afternoon, intermittently sunny. The ground, accessed by a short, narrow, unsurfaced track, is hemmed in by houses and, on the south side, their back gardens. The clubhouse, a bland brick, single-storey structure, dominates the west end. Lack of elevation is the ground's sole shortcoming. Not sure Garden Walk could accommodate, in comfort, too many more spectators. A few this afternoon must have had difficulty obtaining a clear view of the action. Royston were hoping for 500!

Arriving early, via the A1 and the tortuous A1198, I had plenty of time to explore Royston. Nothing to see, I'm afraid. Half-an-hour and I was done. A typically characterless, soulless Home Counties dormitory for London commuters. What must these places be like to live in? Actually, my wife underwent this experience as a child. She couldn't wait to escape to university. Never went back. St John the Baptist's Church, one of Royston's more interesting buildings, is out of bounds (and shrouded in a Chernobyl-like sarcophagus) after a major fire, last December, which destroyed the bell tower and part of the roof. It's set in a pleasant park. Had a look round the small town museum and art gallery (free entry). The museum is muddled, the art amateurish. Overall, a mere handful of diverting exhibits.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 19, 2019, 8:43 PM)

auchinleckian
Youth Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Auchinleck Talbot; Grimsby Town; Wales (rugby and football)

Post #18 of 79 (10372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AUCHINLECK TALBOT vs COVE RANGERS Scottish Cup 2nd round.

£10. Programme £1.50, sold out forty five minutes before kick off.

Attendance - a lot. I'd hazard a guess at about the 1,300 mark.

Talbot won 1-0 to send the league 2 leaders back home with their tails between their legs. That's us now seen off four senior sides in this competition, including both the very big spenders, Kelty Hearts and Cove Rangers. It doesn't get much better than this, especially when you know there are folk who really do hate us on here.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2019, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #19 of 79 (10362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Knowsley South 2-3 Vulcan
Cheshire League JA Walton Challenge Cup 1st Round
No admission charge
Att: 31 (h/c)

Once again I was unable to get my first choice game - that's 4 Saturdays in a row now. I was really struggling to get anything in the area today, so I had to resort to plastic. Knowsley play in a 3G cage at the back of Kirkby Leisure Centre. It's the usual set up, with spectator accommodation running 3/4 the length of one side behind a fence. Very uninspiring surroundings, and very similar to so many grounds like this that I've now visited, but luckily the game was a good 'un.

These two teams have identical league records thus far, but Vulcan are a division above league newcomers Knowsley. The game was very even throughout, and Knowsley can consider themselves very unlucky to have lost it. Vulcan took the lead twice in the 1st half, only for Knowsley to equalise each time - the second was a penalty on the stroke of half time. Knowsley looked the better side early in the 2nd half, but Vulcan scored a scrappy winner on 71. Knowsley had a shot hacked off the line with time running out, but that's as close as they got to a 3rd equaliser.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Oct 19, 2019, 9:06 PM

Post #20 of 79 (10066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auchinleckian] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

Talbot won 1-0 to send the league 2 leaders back home with their tails between their legs. That's us now seen off four senior sides in this competition, including both the very big spenders, Kelty Hearts and Cove Rangers. It doesn't get much better than this, especially when you know there are folk who really do hate us on here.

Up the Bot!! Excellent result Auchinleckian, and a fine turn out.

krffji
Youth Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 9:08 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #21 of 79 (10063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

"Colchester United Academy in disguise",

That's two 17-y-o full backs and a 20-y-o midfielder who is just in double figures for (Colchester) U23 starts and has not yet been near the first team

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor since 2001.
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor since 2008.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2019, 9:10 PM

Post #22 of 79 (10052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krffji] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

"Colchester United Academy in disguise",

That's two 17-y-o full backs and a 20-y-o midfielder who is just in double figures for (Colchester) U23 starts and has not yet been near the first team

The left-back was terrible. A cheat, as well.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 19, 2019, 9:11 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2019, 9:12 PM

Post #23 of 79 (10045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auchinleckian] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Yes, well done. Having watched you batter Kelty in the last round, I wasn't surprised by this result. Fancied coming up for this tie but was swayed by the (English) FA Cup. Maybe round three, if you're drawn at home again. :-)

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Oct 19, 2019, 10:18 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 19, 2019, 9:17 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #24 of 79 (10021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Midlands Premier
Darlaston Town (1874) 4-8 Worcester Raiders
Adm £5, excellent prog £1

I was thinking at half-time that the 1-2 scoreline really didn't tell the story of the first half, at least 70% of which must've been played in the Darlo half. But the home side did look threatening when they attacked and when they equalised straight after the interval it looked game on. But by the hour it was 2-5 as Raiders found a clinical edge to match their approach play and, although Darlo pulled another back for 3-5, that was as close as they got to their rampant visitors. Obviously a remarkable game, certainly more a case of good attacking rather than comedy defending, and both sides looked to have more quality than quite a few I've seen at step 6.

These two were promoted together last season and had a fierce, and not always healthy, rivalry, which I assume is why there were a couple of security guards present today! There was clearly an intensity to the match and we had a few spiky moments on the pitch in the second half but it never really threatened to get out of control. All in all, a good contest and two teams I'd be happy to watch again.

I was also impressed with Darlo as a club. Decent support (averaging 161 apparently, but fewer than that today), good number of match day volunteers and a nicely understated feeling of vibrancy about the place. The ground is a doddle to get to by car, just a couple of minutes off the M6 at j10, and was described on here by Karb in last Tuesday's WDYG. The club has worked hard to get it up to scratch for step 6 and further improvements are planned as they've permission for more stands and security fencing. The big clubhouse, which predates Darlo's occupancy here, offers an array of fizz and bottles as well as your souvenirs and match day fodder - my pie, peas and gravy hit the mark and they also did chips and assorted cobs.

Took a detour before the match to the old Waverley Road home of the old Darlaston Town, the predecessor club of this afternoon's hosts and one with a long and proud history. It's been 35 years since I last saw the place and the memories of a South Liverpool horror show against Bilston (who were ground-sharing there at the time) in the FA Cup came flooding back! The infamous sloping pitch is now overgrown and the ground is shorn of the splendid wooden stand that stood for over a century but there's quite a bit still there, including goalposts and floodlights, albeit obviously dilapidated. You can easily look into it (or clamber into it if you dare) from gaps in the fence at the Slater Street end.

Almost backing onto the old ground, and just off the little town centre, is the GBG-listed Green Dragon. A real throwback where the locals were watching the gee-gees on telly or playing dominoes, while I contented myself with a sample of both cask offerings, Dukey's Delight from the nearby AJ's Ales brewery and Salopian's Lemon Dream. £2.50 a pint and both were in fine fettle.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Oct 19, 2019, 10:01 PM)

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 19, 2019, 9:19 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #25 of 79 (10010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Saturday 19th October [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whyteleafe 0-3 Chippenham Town

FA Cup, admission £10, programme available, pasty and chips £4, att: 512

I toyed with the idea of going to Builth Wells in the Welsh Cup rather than hacking up and down the M1. Stuck with my original idea in the end but my SatNav diverted me off the M1 before the endless roadworks and took me down the A43 to M40. Arrived in plenty of time so parked up near the ground and yomped into town. Had a drink in the excellent Radius Arms micropub before yomping back.

Decent ground with a 3G pitch, plenty of cover which wasn't needed today and the Chippenham supporters created a good atmosphere. Up until the visitors scored Whyteleafe were the better team but it was a procession afterwards. I stood near the dugouts in the 1st half and one of the home coaches continually moaned at the ref in his Ali G in Da House accent!

Home for 805pm via M40 etc.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3