Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 18, 2019, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #1 of 9 (2735 views)
Shortcut
Friday 18th October 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Binfield 4-2 Burnham
Hellenic League Cup 4th Round

For an hour this was a closely fought game with little between the two sides. Burnham took the lead on 20 minutes, and came close to doubling their advantage almost immediately. Parity was soon restored and despite Binfield being temporarily reduced to ten men following a sin-bin, Burnham weren't able to make good use of their numerical advantage. They did find the net, but it was ruled out for offside and Binfield nearly scored themselves. The last half hour was in contrast to the first hour seeing two red cards for Burnham, they also conceeded two penalties (both scored for Binfield) and their keeper (one of the red cards too) putting the ball into his own net from a corner. Burnham did pull one back to briefly make it 3-2. They were fortunate not to be further behind at this point after an effort came off the inside of the post and into the arms of the keeper.

pokal02
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 8:51 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #2 of 9 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Holland 1-0 Halstead T
ECL 1 South
Adm £4 conc Coffee £1 Att est 200

A fairly cold and windy evening with the winner coming on 15 seconds when a long wind-assisted clearance from the home keeper could only be helped into his own net by his opposite number. There were few other goalmouth incidents - Halstead forced a couple of good saves from the keeper after the break and had a couple of goalmouth scrambles near the end.

There was a noisy group of about 20 away fans which created some atmosphere.

Decent set-up here - good sized car park, 100-seat stand & clubhouse on one side with hardstanding elsewhere.

Friday traffic of course was heavy but I'd allowed for it and arrived at 18:25 having left at 15:50. No incidents/closures for once on return leg and indoors at 23:00.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 19, 2019, 10:48 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #3 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Cup Round Two
Bonnyrigg Rose v Buckie Thistle, 2-0, H.T. 0-0, Att 1678, Admission £10, Programme £2, Refreshments available
At New Dundas Park

The clash of Lowland League v Highland League leaders failed to live up to expectations. Two decent sides cancelled each other out for the best part of an hour with scarcely an effort on goal from either side. The match turned on a freak goal by Rose’s Johnny Stewart – even he wouldn’t claim he was trying a shot when his sliced cross sailed over the goalkeeper and dipped under the bar to make it 1-0. Buckie were disappointing – Kevin Fraser, for one, is a far better player than this performance suggested. Jack Murray, on loan from Ross County, also failed to live up to expectations.

That did liven the game up and the closing period was much more entertaining. Buckie, who would have been happy with a draw, were forced out of their shell and began to threaten more. Meanwhile Bonnyrigg found more space to attack on the break and they sealed victory with a great solo goal by George Hunter.

Although the match wasn’t a great spectacle there was a cracking atmosphere generated by the passionate Bonnyrigg fans. Buckie brought around 150 who congregated on the far side towards the corner flag. Bonnyrigg have always been amongst the best supported East sides and the club knows how to get the local community behind them. It can be a scary place for away fans, or indeed for home fans when Bonnyrigg travel away – it’s not so many years since they launched a pyro assault on a Bo’ness pub, almost burning it down!

Torrential rain throughout the day made playing conditions difficult and spectating conditions even more so. The small covered enclosure was rammed to capacity half an hour before kick off. The remainder of the grassy bankings were treacherous in the extreme and by the end resembled the mudfields of the Somme. This was not helped by a lack of toilet facilities for the bumper crowd – most male supporters on the far side opted to just pish through the slats in the wooden fence at the back of the banking rather than trying to fight their way through the throng on the other side of the ground. Likewise refreshments were a forlorn hope for most with just one outlet.

This emphasises that whilst Bonnyrigg may have pretensions of promotion to the SPFL – they will have a massive amount of work to do between now and the end of the season if they are to be eligible for SPFL membership. The bankings will need to be at least concreted. They will have to have two sets of proper turnstiles to enable segregation. That means new toilets and catering facilities in the away section. New Dundas Park is unusual in that there is only access to one side of the ground – the remainder is entirely surrounded by houses and private gardens. They have no way of bringing in a burger van or portaloos to the far side of the ground. Oh, and seats – the SPFL would insist on some of those as well.

So, with Bonnyrigg likely to be in contention for the Lowland League title (although they were knocked off top spot last night by Kelty), they are unlikely to be able to move up if they were successful in the two rounds of Play Offs – unless they can achieve a massive redevelopment or arrange a ground share.

Still, they will have made plenty money from this game and hopefully they plough it into ground improvements to give them the best opportunity for progression. The match was covered live by BBC Scotland - proper coverage, just like a premiership game, unlike the single camera coverage of English Cup qualifying rounds.

Usual Bonnyrigg programme on sale, with a stunning cover. I provide part of the contents so will not comment on that.

Pre match the torrential rain meant that I had to take refuge in the Anvil, a pub I vowed never to return to not so long ago. The service is surly as ever, the locals as unfriendly as ever, but the Heverlee at £3.20 a pint was certainly good value. Deep fried haggis supper from the chippie next door meant I did not need to join the interminable queue for food at the game.

mxhornet
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 6:02 PM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #4 of 9 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

DESA (cat 2) - 0 Wroxham FC Open - 3
ESFA Super League
Aldiss Park (back pitch)
Attendance - 5
No admission charged or programme issued

A quick return to a previously elusive venue. Some confusion as whether this was a cup or league game but post game tweets mentioning three points seem to confirm it was in fact a league game. Not as exciting as Wednesday's offering, a comfortable win for WFC in the end, led courtesy of a 15 minute penalty at half time. This was doubled midway through the second half and a late third sealed the win.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 20, 2019, 11:43 AM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #5 of 9 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Holland 1-0 Halstead T
ECL 1 South
Adm £4 conc Coffee £1 Att est 200

A fairly cold and windy evening with the winner coming on 15 seconds when a long wind-assisted clearance from the home keeper could only be helped into his own net by his opposite number. There were few other goalmouth incidents - Halstead forced a couple of good saves from the keeper after the break and had a couple of goalmouth scrambles near the end.

There was a noisy group of about 20 away fans which created some atmosphere.

Decent set-up here - good sized car park, 100-seat stand & clubhouse on one side with hardstanding elsewhere.

Friday traffic of course was heavy but I'd allowed for it and arrived at 18:25 having left at 15:50. No incidents/closures for once on return leg and indoors at 23:00.

Old Knut and I were also at this one. We stood on the far side between the dug outs in a spot which offered decent protection from the wind and good views of the lightning out to sea. The bright orange seats in the stand offered an unusual splash of colour.

Pre match we visited The Old Lifeboat House for a pint, Geo's Fish n Chip shop and Clacton Pier. Post match we called in at the White Hart at Weeley Heath on the way to our overnight base at the nearby Premier Inn.

Has a goalkeeper ever scored a faster goal?

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

PaulC

Oct 20, 2019, 11:50 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wonderfully OTT match report of Bonnyrigg v Buckie in the Scotsman.

“There was a glow amid the dark of Midlothian on Friday night. Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic’s new floodlights had blinked awake for the first time. They shrouded a prowling, cantankerous sky in promise and light.

It was as if, in the old colliery county, the ghosts of a thousand miners had come up for air, lamps and lanterns dazzling anew in the inky black...”

https://www.scotsman.com/...tter_impression=true

(This post was edited by PaulC on Oct 20, 2019, 11:51 AM)

Karb
First Team Star

Oct 20, 2019, 4:32 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #7 of 9 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

La Liga
Granada 1-0 Osasuna
Admission €25, no paper, Art 16986

Flew into Malaga on Thursday night, then caught a morning bus to Granada at a cost of €14. My hot was almost directly opposite the cathedral, so caught the number 33 bus into town to check in and explore the city. The number 4 bus then runs down to the ground, though I walked back, taking around 35 minutes.

My seat was just to the left of the section occupied by the visiting fans, who numbered around 100.

4th v 11th at the start of play. 5 weeks into the season, Granada briefly tipped the table after beating Barcelona. The next three games brought one win, one draw and one defeat, causing Granada to slip to fourth, but this win moved them, temporarily at least, back up to 2nd.

Not a great game, Granada just about deserved a victory by a single goal margin, the goal coming from Duarte on 38 mins

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Tim

Oct 21, 2019, 11:08 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #8 of 9 (860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Friday 18th October 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wells City 4 Oldland Abbotonians 1 (Western League Division 1) Att:58

Cracking first half in which the home side played some lovely football, scored three well worked goals and other than conceding a daft penalty, were in complete control. The second half was less gripping, and after the fourth goal went in the visitors collected half a dozen yellow cards and won very few admirers. Shame - it had all been amiable enough up until that point.

Revisit to Rowdens Road after 10 years, and the ground, which I like very much, seems pretty much the same. Shame the Friday night experiment didn't result in a few more spectators. Excellent company from Amesbury Graham. Two trips to the tea bar resulted in two most enjoyable hot beverages at a pound a time. Admission £3 for a codger, decent programme a pound, raffle another pound. Splendid evening.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Oct 21, 2019, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #9 of 9 (692 views)
Shortcut

Scottish Cup R2
Edinburgh City 3-1 Banks o' Dee
at Ainslie Park stadium pitch (3G, Spartans)
Att (official) : 205
£12 in, prog (60 pages) £3, teamsheet free from the office before the turnstiles, steak bridie £2.25

Although I've seen various matches at Ainslie Park, I had still yet to come here for an Edinburgh City match since they moved in - a Joker that had remained unplayed. A Friday night only 2 and a half hours drive from the office was too tempting to resist. Not possible to get there and back by train (sadly, since the Scotrail Club50 £17 deal is on) and I'm a Yorkshireman so I'm not wasting good brass on a hotel, especially at them there Edinburgh prices; so I had intended to drive straight there and straight back home, then head out again first thing in the morning to somewhere else on a £17 ticket. Roadworks near the office accidentally cut through a water main at 1pm and the whole area was without water supply. Sometimes over-fussy Health & Safety rules are good though - they shut the office at 3pm when it was obvious it wasn't going to be rectified soon and the loos were already 'full'...
So I started down the road an hour sooner than expected, and despite the pouring rain, made good time. Which meant I was in the area 'too early', which meant I might as well go have a sniff at what's on in the nearby Stockbridge Tap and have a sneaky couple of halves. Ah but this is wondrous Edinburgh. I should have known - of the 6 ales on, four were new to me. Thankfully low-strength, and thankfully they do thirds, so no problem then heading to Ainslie Park, where remarkably there was plenty of room in the immediate car park despite it being only half an hour before KO. That pre-match entertainment had set the tone though. Did I really want to drive all the way home in the dark and the rain? Nope - I decided I'll treat myself to an overdue bash at the Edinburgh real ale scene post-match, my first for many months, and just kip in the back of the car tonight.

By chance, I saw somebody coming out of the club office door before the turnstiles, with a teamsheet in their hand, so nipped in there first, where I secured the very last one.

Plenty of cover here of course, and anyway the far side and far end grass bankings are out of bounds for Edinburgh City games (but not for Spartans games). Got myself a nice spot. CowdenAndy had spotted me having a brief nose in the upstairs room (open to the public tonight) and came to seek me out in the stand. As we chuntered away, watching the rain lashing down, we were thinking of the poor souls we knew were stood out in it at Bonnyrigg!

Banks o' Dee from the North Juniors were playing in a rugby-style jersey - light blue and dark blue hoops. Some of their attempts at goal sailed over the bar as if they were indeed egg-chasers. I had expected a side from the SPFL, at home, to dispose of North Junior opposition more clinically. But there was just huff and puff until a quarter way through the 90 the ref gave City the opportunity to break the deadlock by awarding a pen that the visitors disputed. 1-0. BoD kept at it though, and equalized on 39, revealing that there were a good number in the crowd who'd come down from Aberdeen. So! Could we be in for a shock? ...erm, no, that parity lasted just one minute. Straight up the other end from the KO and 2-1. And so it remained for much of the match. Edinburgh City the better side, but not really going for it. BoD were unlucky to miss some good chances that could have made it 2-2 and a replay. Anybody just reading the final score of 3-1 would think it was a convincing one-sided game, but it wasn't - the final goal only came in the 85th.

For the second time in two weeks, Andy was glad of a Friday night lift from me. Just in to the bus station this time (he'd have had to leave early and have got a soaking to have got his bus without that lift), rather than back home as had been the case after 'Shire's Friday night fixture a fortnight ago. Dumped the car on the road by Fettes College and headed in to the first port of call - the magnificent Guildford Arms. That it had been such a long time since I had had a chance to visit one of my favourite watering holes was brought home to me by the welcome I got from the regular staff - "we haven't seen you in a long time". Considering how many punters they get through the door, it's amazing that they even remember me, never mind miss me! I had mapped out in my mind how much of the circuit I was going to be able to get round, but again, I'd forgotten to allow for how marvelous Edinburgh is. It was the middle of the GA's autumn Beer Festival, so all bar one of the 10 handpumps were rarities that were ticks to me! That I was still there when they rang the last orders bell at midnight I blame on the fact that I got chatting to the two guys sat next to me when I saw them reading the Bonnyrigg programme. Both now living in Cambuslang, one was originally from Bedfordshire, the other originally from Buckie and is now their scout. That Buckie lost tonight is perhaps because he didn't go scout Bonnyrigg at their last match, choosing instead to go watch his nephew who plays for Ellon United, winning away at Bo'ness CFC in the Junior Cup! Amongst the chat from him was that not one of tonight's players was going back to Buckie - four are Inverness based, all the rest are from Aberdeen.

Midnight closing doesn't bring an end to proceedings in Edinburgh though! The main 'spoons doesn't shut until 1am, so I decamped to there, still with some needed from their nationwide autumn beer festival list - perhaps they might have some of my remaining target ones on? Again, but I forgot that this is Edinburgh! - they had ALL 40 from the list on at once (thanks to a gantry of barrels on gravity) so I completed my card before the downhill stroll back to my 'digs' for the night.

I can't say it was the best night's kip I've ever had, as all-night rain battered the car roof. I had deliberately parked the car by playing fields - at my age a night without 'having to get up' doesn't happen. In the morning the rugby pitches were waterlogged ...and it had not just been from the rain!

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Oct 21, 2019, 7:08 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3