Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: Programme Editing & Collecting:
Stevenage - teamsheet?

andybsaints
Ballboy/girl

Oct 7, 2019, 1:18 PM

Post #1 of 21 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Stevenage - teamsheet? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm looking to attend a Stevenage match at the end of October as part of my quest for the 92. I know they are not producing a physical programme now but haven't been able to locate whether they are issuing a teamsheet (and if so where to get one). Does anyone know? TIA

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 7, 2019, 8:23 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 21 (2404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andybsaints] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure there will be a teamsheet for the press and VIP area, as is the case at nearly all professional clubs in any country. Just ask at the reception, or if that fails, just go to the press box after the game.

However, if I were you, I'd boycott the game in protest at there being no printed programme! It is perhaps no coincidence that the club are currently rock bottom of L2 without a win. The lack of interest in programmes can be a symptom of a general malaise throughout the club and this inevitably has a negative effect on the morale of the players. On the other hand, clubs like Braintree and Northwood (to name just two who have been producing excellent programmes for many years) have risen through the pyramid, which may be in part due to the enthusiasm of the club officials spreading to the team.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 7, 2019, 8:51 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 21 (2374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

andybsaints only reason for attending is to knock another off his 92 list so boycotting is not really an option.

dottirofhod

Oct 8, 2019, 10:21 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 21 (2231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

However, if I were you, I'd boycott the game in protest at there being no printed programme!

==========================================

So you haven't been or going to any game without a printed programme ? GMFS.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Chris1963

Oct 9, 2019, 3:54 PM

Post #5 of 21 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
However, if I were you, I'd boycott the game in protest at there being no printed programme!

==========================================

So you haven't been or going to any game without a printed programme ? GMFS.

It was only a tongue-in-cheek comment. But if I was that obsessive about wanting a programme from every game I attended, I wouldn't go to countries like Portugal or Turkey where there are very few clubs issuing.

The question that needs asking though is why Stevenage are not doing printed programmes this season when they could simply use the services of a cheaper printer. And if they are short of money, why did they build a new stand behind one end of their ground earlier this year?

paulh66

Oct 9, 2019, 4:09 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 21 (1934 views)
Shortcut

The question that needs asking though is why Stevenage are not doing printed programmes this season when they could simply use the services of a cheaper printer. And if they are short of money, why did they build a new stand behind one end of their ground earlier this year?

Because they see themselves as pioneers, producing dynamic digital match day content that costs their fans nothing to read rather than relieving them of £3 of their hard-earned to tell them what they already know. It might just be the future, like digital photography was a decade or two ago.

Chris1963

Oct 9, 2019, 4:18 PM

Post #7 of 21 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's nothing wrong with the concept of on-line programmes, but not everyone has access to a computer. Spectators should have the choice of being able to buy a printed programme if they want to do so. Also, paper is a more durable medium than computer software which can become obsolete after a few years. The ideal situation is to have both an on-line programme and a printed one. If cost is a problem, the on-line version can be in colour and the paper one in black and white, but there should not be any reduction in reading content.

paulh66

Oct 9, 2019, 4:27 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 21 (1907 views)
Shortcut

People need to move with the times, and usually will, even if it's involuntary! There'll always be a minority who, say, hanker for the horse and cart but that doesn't mean the transport industry should pander to them. As always, it's a cost/benefit situation. And, in this instances, a situation that's only arisen in the first place because demand for programmes generally has fallen off a cliff.

Chris1963

Oct 9, 2019, 4:33 PM

Post #9 of 21 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't think there is actually anyone who literally wants the horse and cart to return as a form of transport!

paulh66

Oct 9, 2019, 4:40 PM

Post #10 of 21 (1897 views)
Shortcut

And in 100 years time - probably much sooner - nobody at football matches will be demanding to buy out of date, rehashed news through obsolete media either. Wink

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Oct 9, 2019, 4:40 PM)

Chris1963

Oct 9, 2019, 4:48 PM

Post #11 of 21 (1892 views)
Shortcut

They won't have to buy it - printed programmes, paid for by advertising, will probably be given away free. This has been the case on the Continent for many years now even though very few people collect programmes there.

paulh66

Oct 9, 2019, 5:00 PM

Post #12 of 21 (1886 views)
Shortcut

If so, that'd just be a reinvention of an obsolete product into the footballing equivalent of junk mail (which probably explains why our continental cousins don't collect them)! It'd probably placate the paper-cuddlers but for most people it'd just provide them with something to sit on, wipe their hands on, make aeroplanes with or just stick straight into the bin.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Oct 9, 2019, 9:07 PM)

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Oct 9, 2019, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #13 of 21 (1773 views)
Shortcut

Same as, same old arguement, so I will again 'say this only once'; Vinyl records and books; both very huge businesses again after being given the last rites by certain people who needed to make themselves heard.
Nostalgia will always be with us, which is why 'collectors' buy antiques and collectables.
Programmes never caught on with continentals but badges did which is why, as any club will tell you, they get loads of requests from other countries to please send them one!
Each to their own, I respect that but don't try to tell people what the future may or may not hold. None of us know what is round the corner, in my case I don't want to know and that is definitely my last word on this particular subject.

paulh66

Oct 9, 2019, 9:39 PM

Post #14 of 21 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And there's still a market for the horse and cart.
It's not me telling you what the future holds, it's happening all around us (in Stevenage especially Tongue)

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Oct 9, 2019, 11:04 PM)

andybsaints
Ballboy/girl

Oct 10, 2019, 1:55 PM

Post #15 of 21 (1583 views)
Shortcut

Hi guys - as an update to my original question the club sell teamsheets for 20p apparently at the turnstiles and around the ground. As a programme collector I will 'count' the teamsheet as a programme and not attempt to print the online version. I do tend to agree that programmes should be produced in hard copy but having attended games at Inverness and Ross County the lack of a programme did not overly spoil my experience! I'll get the ground ticked later this month.

buncranaboy

Oct 10, 2019, 2:35 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #16 of 21 (1552 views)
Shortcut

On the other hand, clubs like Braintree and Northwood (to name just two who have been producing excellent programmes for many years) have risen through the pyramid, which may be in part due to the enthusiasm of the club officials spreading to the team.

Didn't Braintree go down last year? Also I'd have thought youd put their previous rise up the leagues down to ditching their extended " & Crittall Athletic " 😎
I think league tables should be redrawn to include bonus points for programme quality and succinct naming conventions. Far too much emphasis on on-the-field performances.....😙

Chris1963

Oct 10, 2019, 4:28 PM

Post #17 of 21 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andybsaints] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi guys - as an update to my original question the club sell teamsheets for 20p apparently at the turnstiles and around the ground.

I wonder if it has occurred to Stevenage that a teamsheet could easily be turned into a four page programme without having to use any extra paper?

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Oct 10, 2019, 5:51 PM

Post #18 of 21 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think league tables should be redrawn to include bonus points for programme quality and succinct naming conventions. Far too much emphasis on on-the-field performances.....;

au contraire, progress has less and less to do with playing football and more to do with facilities. Is a programme a facility? Some pretty rubbish teams are getting promoted with no regard to their league position or footballing ability because they have the finance to build a stand capable of holding two or three times their average attendance and erect floodlights they will rarely use due to the reduction in the size of leagues. I'm all in favour of bonus points for programme quality, it's no sillier than what's going on at the moment. Ramsgate would be much higher up the table.

paulh66

Oct 10, 2019, 6:05 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1455 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi guys - as an update to my original question the club sell teamsheets for 20p apparently at the turnstiles and around the ground. As a programme collector I will 'count' the teamsheet as a programme and not attempt to print the online version. I do tend to agree that programmes should be produced in hard copy but having attended games at Inverness and Ross County the lack of a programme did not overly spoil my experience! I'll get the ground ticked later this month.

Good post and good luck with the visit.
Funnily enough, Stevenage is a club I'd never really had much time for until I went again last season. I was particularly impressed with their website and social media coverage of the upcoming match - it told me everything I needed to know (and more) ahead of my trip, all nicely practical and informative and, overall, created a very good impression. It was a paper programme then Tongue but if their online prog this season is as well thought-out and produced as their other media offerings last season it'll be worth a look.

Steelback
First Team Star

Oct 12, 2019, 8:23 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #20 of 21 (915 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You can buy a printed Stevenage programme from M60 programmes who also offer the same service for Barnet. I ordered one for Barnet’s pre season friendly v Peterborough and it arrived safely in a hard backed envelope a month or so later (the owners were away on holiday for 2 weeks hence the slight delay)

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

Chris1963

Oct 13, 2019, 12:26 AM

Post #21 of 21 (744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Stevenage - teamsheet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's very good of M60 programmes to do that, I hope the money goes into their bank account and not those of Barnet or Stevenage.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3