barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 22, 2019, 6:26 PM

Post #1 of 14 (2315 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 22nd September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Swansea City 3 Aberystwyth Town 0

Llandarcy Park: Orchard Welsh Premier Women's League

This was my first visit to a ground that is also home to Welsh League Second Division club Ynysygerwn and had previous hosted men's top-flight football for the former Neath AFC. Llandrarcy Park, which had one small seated stand, is part of the larger Llandarcy Academy of Sport that is utilised by Swansea City and Ospreys Rugby. Changing rooms were housed in a building behind the one goal and adjacent to this was another building that housed a restaurant/cafe/bar to provide refreshments and possessed a small patio area that acted as a viewing point. The Swans had recorded a narrow 1-0 victory at champions Cardiff Met in their opening league fixtures and the Seasiders were playing their first league match since gaining promotion back to the top echelon of Welsh women's football. The only match Aberystwyth Town had played thus far resulted in a 3-0 League Cup defeat at Port Talbot Town after last weekend's League Cup tie at home to Cardiff Met was abandoned due to a serious injury.

Despite the home team enjoying plenty of possession in the opening period, Swansea City found it difficult to break down a stubborn and well-organised visiting defence, but Aberystwyth Town finally conceded a goal with two minutes of the first-half remaining on the clock. The Seasiders' custodian came out of her penalty area to chase a ball played into space on the Swans' right flank but made a mess of her attempted clearance and Stacey John-Davis was on hand to find the unguarded net from a tight angle. The hosts doubled their advantage nine minutes after the resumption when Katy Horsford's shot from 25 yards out took a deflection and wrong-footed the Aberystwyth Town goalkeeper. Horsford netted her second goal, and the Swans' third, when she cut in from out on the left flank and struck a shot over the head of the Seasiders' custodian as she was falling over to complete the scoring and finally secure the points.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 317
Matches: 61
New Grounds: 15

KevinW
Youth Team Star

Sep 22, 2019, 6:31 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace

Post #2 of 14 (2310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League
Selhurst Park Stadium – Official Attendance: 25,122

Crystal Palace (0) 1 … Wolverhampton Wanderers (0) 1

I could cry……… but I probably won’t.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 22, 2019, 8:12 PM

Post #3 of 14 (2142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Borussia Mönchengladbach 2-1 Fortuna Düsseldorf
German Bundesliga
Attendance: 52,413
Admission: EUR 37.50
Prog: 72 pages EUR 1

Borussia-Park is outside the western reaches of the city so I chose to grab free street parking in Rheydt and use the free shuttle bus from Rheydt Hauptbahnhof to the stadium. The buses run every minute or two, and the journey takes 20-25 minutes, much of it down pleasant country lanes and from one of these someone was selling pumpkins from a cart. The buses terminate at the transport hub near the north end of the ground; as I was in the south end this meant that I missed the first wave of buses and didn't get back to Rheydt until about an hour after the game. The Borussia-Park site, incidentally, also houses the club's large training complex, and there's also a business park and some retail units adjacent, making use of the car parks and transport hub most days.

I liked the ground which felt much more intimate than its 54,000 capacity. There are two tiers running around the stadium with the continuity broken up by the suites in the main stand, and there's terracing in the lower tier at the north end and the south-east visitors' corner. The stands are close to the pitch and have a steep rake, both of which I think help to bring the fans into the action, and there was a great atmosphere for this game.

Again, I couldn't find a main souvenir shop, only mobile outlets scattered around the stadium, but they accepted cash & credit cards, as did the food & drink outlets, and all were sensibly priced. I hadn't eaten all day, so two bratwurst were well received.

The prog was excellent value for EUR 1 but you had to hunt them down. I spotted a pile behind the counter of a souvenir stall and also displayed more prominently at an ice cream hut.

With the game being a local derby, it seemed to take a while before tickets went on general sale as paid-up members were given preference, but I was able to purchase 2-3 weeks before the game and I noticed that some were still available a few days beforehand.

The game itself was very enjoyable and I had a great seat halfway up the lower tier in the south end. Düsseldorf took an early lead but the home side got more & more into the game and eventually won with a late goal but they missed some good chances along the way, had one disallowed and seemed rather unfortunate when the ref disagreed with a VAR penalty call. All in all, a great day out.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 22, 2019, 8:21 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #4 of 14 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KevinW] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Biggleswade 1 Chertsey Town 3, FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round, Att: 253, Admission: £8 £8, Prog: £1.50

Visitors Chertsey progressed comfortably this afternoon in a game they controlled once they took the lead on the quarter hour. Biggleswade had made a bright start and actually equalised thanks to a horror moment from the Chertsey 'keeper who let a speculative long effort pass completely through his grasp and under his body but in truth the home side rarely threatened and two well taken goals midway through the second period killed the game off as a contest. As new grounds go, Biggleswade Town's ground is ok, a decent sized seated kit stand being the main feature with a smaller standing terrace opposite and another offset at one end. The social club behind the main stand dispensed the usual fizz and a burger van was present offering hot and cold refreshments. Also in attendance today was "Mr Pringle", in conjunction with match sponsors Kelloggs, giving out free Pringles and Kelloggs cereal bars and Chertsey brought the FA Vase along which was on display in the social club. A decent journey home in just under 3 hours, avoiding the interminable 50mph stretches on the M6 by using the M1/A50.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on Sep 22, 2019, 8:26 PM)

Loiner
First Team Star

Sep 22, 2019, 11:47 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #5 of 14 (1822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Women's Cup 1st Qualifying.

Farsley Celtic v Merseyrail 2-1

No admission or paper at The Citadel this afternoon.

Farsley took the lead just before the half hour and held it until nine minutes in to the second half when the visitors equalised.
Farsley went back in front two minutes later from a well worked corner kick routine.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 23, 2019, 5:35 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #6 of 14 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NCAA 1. @ Anteater Stadium, Irvine. KO 14:00* $10 Admission. $10 Parking. No teamsheets. ATT. 315

U C Irvine 2 v 2 Gonzaga (AGGET).

Another athletics track, this one in blue but at least there were no other markings on the grass. Good views across to John Wayne airport. Bleachers stand and some refreshments. Match did not KO on time as the women's game went to extra time.

Absorbing encounter with the early goal from the visitors setting the game up nicely. Two goals in two minutes just after the half hour, the second a well taken, curling effort from the edge of the box, gave the home side a 2-1 lead at half time.

The visitors levelled on 70 minutes but although both sides had chances to win it, neither could find the net. On to the extra time because we can't have a draw, nobody scored so it was a draw, pointless exercise unless you have penalties to get a result.

Long drive to the motel in late Sunday afternoon traffic but still time for a curry and they served Sierra Nevada beer.

(This post was edited by Dave 56 on Sep 23, 2019, 6:58 AM)

mxhornet
First Team Star

Sep 23, 2019, 7:12 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #7 of 14 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich City Women - 6 Kent Football United Women - 2
FA Women's National League Division One South East
Plantation Park
Attendance - 100 (official) my count was 75ish
Admission - £3
Programme - £1 (gloss 8 pager, lacking in content!!)

A quick return to Plantation Park for me, a much more enjoyable game than Tuesday evening.
Despite the scoreline there wasn't much to choose between the sides. NC took an early lead (8 mins) direct from a corner, KFU equalised 20 mins later and just about deserved to be level, but then had a nightmare last 9 minutes of the half conceding 4 goals to go in 5-1 down. KFU got the first goal of the second half after 55 mins and seemed to have steadied the ship even if a full on comeback wasn't on, NC scored late on to restore their 4 goal lead.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 23, 2019, 8:07 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 14 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Biggleswade 1 Chertsey Town 3, FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round, Att: 253

I was also there, although it was a revisit for me. The crowd is shown as 272 on the FA site but I thought it was at least 400. There have been recent posts on this forum suggesting that attendances at cup games tend to be under-declared.

All the same it was a good afternoon with far more atmosphere than the Biggleswade Town v Chipstead game I attended almost exactly ten years ago (I think I did a WDYG report on that one) and the only change to the ground since then has been the addition of a standard prefabricated covered terrace at the south end.

This was the 5th match I had seen on all the four different grounds in the town. I have always remembered the first time I came across any mention of the town, which is in the 1976-77 Rothmans Football Yearbook. According to this book, Biggleswade Town lost 0-10 at home to Tilbury in the 1975-76 FA Trophy. By a curious coincidence, Biggleswade FC had been drawn at home to Tilbury in the previous round of the FA Cup - possibly the first visit Tilbury had made to the town since 1975-76.

Edit; sorry about the post being in bold, am trying to change it.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Sep 23, 2019, 8:12 PM)

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Sep 24, 2019, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #9 of 14 (845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

10am Zurich Region Div 3 Group 2
Industrie Turicum 1-3 Affoltern a/A
Hardhof pitch 1

h/c 75
f&n, although we discovered that Affoltern do issue for their Homes.

A multi-pitch sports centre, this one on the show pitch - railed with side terracing and park benches. There had been a higher level game on it yesterday.
Thoughts of doing a 2-simultaneous were forgotten when one of the teams on the adjacent pitch were wearing whatever T-shirts and shorts they had found down the back of their pants drawer that morning.

Parking (metered even on a Sunday) was a good way away, but exiting via a different gate allowed access to the riverside path that was a quicker sprint back to the car.
Some of us stayed to the end so saw the 1-2 goal on 86 and the 1-3 on 90+2. Others less able to sprint / power-walk left early when still only 1-1.

We could have stayed put and got a bracketed tick as the next lot came onto this grass pitch but instead moved 2km on to :

12 noon, Zurich Region Div 3 Group 2
Juchhof sports complex.
Pitch 3 (3G) Croatia Zurich 0-1 Engstringen
Pitch 4 (grass) Kosava reserves 3-0 Republika Srpska

An easy 2-simultaneous. Either from atop the banking by the clubhouse but in baking heat, else in the shade of the back-to-back stand (think Heriot Watt University).
Twice as many (hc 84) watching the grass as (hc 42) facing the plastic.
Not much Swiss being spoken.
Again, one could have stayed here all day and got multiple bracketed ticks as others were warming up to be on next. And two 3G cages in full use behind the clubhouse.
Onward though...

Annoying that whilst pottering harmlessly through Zurich in the morning, I got flashed on a dual carriageway, and whilst exiting Zurich in the afternoon got flashed again on a bit of motorway deemed urban so with a reduced speed limit. And I'd only just been on the naughty boys' course last Monday to avoid (another) 3 points!

4pm FC Vaduz 1-2 Lausanne Sports
Swiss Challenge League (level 2)

Only a few hundred yards after crossing the border into Liechtenstein, this is also their national stadium.
A hefty 35 CHuFfs to get in, to face the burning sun. Prog free, teamsheet card obtained by gatecrashing the VIP area.
Only 1,470 in attendance - most of the country's population.

Another soporific one. I had it as 1-2 in the sweep, so it was my urging that made the keeper save a late pen!

Brief detour up and up and up afterwards to have a nose at Triesenberg's ground, perilously clinging to the mountainside with what must be one of the most fantastic views from any ground.

Then escape across the border into much cheaper digs in Italy, albeit the emergence from the tunnel into fog rain and hairpins with no cats-eyes was a challenging drive.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 24, 2019, 2:51 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 14 (641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

12 noon, Zurich Region Div 3 Group 2
Juchhof sports complex.
Pitch 3 (3G) Croatia Zurich 0-1 Engstringen
Pitch 4 (grass) Kosava reserves 3-0 Republika Srpska

Not much Swiss being spoken.!

You surprise me...

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 24, 2019, 3:59 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #11 of 14 (585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Biggleswade 1 Chertsey Town 3, FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round, Att: 253

I was also there, although it was a revisit for me. The crowd is shown as 272 on the FA site but I thought it was at least 400. There have been recent posts on this forum suggesting that attendances at cup games tend to be under-declared.

When they announced 253 during the game I thought it was a little high to be honest, certainly didn't think there were anywhere near 400 looking from opposite the stand.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Syd
Junior Team Sub

Sep 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town, Blidworth Welfare, Everton, Ground hopping.

Post #12 of 14 (550 views)
Shortcut

Barry town United (0) 1 v Cefn Druids (0) 0
Sunday 22nd sept 2019

JD cymru premier League
Jenner park, Barry
Kick off 14:30
Adm £8
Prog £2
Att ?

Two seated stands either side of pitch, east & west. Artificial pitch surrounded by athletics track. Club house, changing rooms & lounge Barry road end of ground. Turnstiles either end and f ground Gladstone road & Barry road.
Barry currently top of league bar sat results
Barry T, yellow shirts with blue trim, blue shorts with yellow trim, blue socks
Cefn Druids, red shirts, red shorts with white trim, red socks
1st half, Barry kick off towards Gladstone road.
11 sub Cefn Druids 19 off 10 on
24 sub Barry Town 23 off 33 on
45 Goal Barry Town (3) Hugh

Half time 1-0
2nd half, Cefn Druids kick off towards Gladstone road
50 yellow Cefn Druids (24)
66 sub Barry Town 21 Spence off 9 Phipps on
66 sub Cefn Druids 18 Riley off 3 Arsan on
80 Sub Cefn Druids 24 off 28 on
82 yellow Cefn Druids (5)
90 yellow Barry Town (?)

Full time 1-0

2018/19
Games: 21
New Grounds: 6
Goals: 21
0-0's: 1
2019/20
Games: 10
New grounds: 3(newest: Barry Town Utd Jenner Park Barry Wales)
Goals: 31
0-0's: 0

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Sep 25, 2019, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #13 of 14 (336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Syd] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Borough Alliance 0-2 Barlestone St Giles Engineers

Alliance league division 6

KO - 10.30am
Attendance - 8
Admission - free
Refreshments - available from clubhouse.

Venue - Symington's recreational ground.

The venue is in the centre of the Leicestershire town Market Harborough, I initially missed the turning but there is a pay and display car park which is free on weekends. The pitch was very good for a sunday league. It had just been raining so the ball was moving quickly however both teams were good enough to adapt. There is a raised railed path which gives a good view over the pitch. A spot of archery was going on over the other side of the field.

The game was entertaining. I was impressed with the standard of both teams. I felt that Borough were the better footballing side however Barlestone were quick on the break.

https://thepartialview.sport.blog/

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 25, 2019, 4:34 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #14 of 14 (333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Sunday 22nd September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Symingtons played in the United Counties League, 1926-7 and 1947-54 followed by one season in the Birmingham & District League
The ground was later used by Harborough Town

When I visited, (1992), it was supposed to be the last game at the ground - it wasn't

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3