IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Expected suspension for punching on opposing player

Rushcliffe
Junior Team Star

Sep 16, 2019, 12:27 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2065 views)
Shortcut
Expected suspension for punching on opposing player Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just curious what you guys have found is the norm in this situation ?

I have to be careful what I say as obviously posting on social media about events in a game can be treacherous waters, so ill do this as a hypothetical situation.

So if a defender has just committed a foul, not a serious foul, just a plain free kick, no card shown, out wide around half way into the defenders half, and while both on the floor the player who was fouled throws 2 punches at his grounded opponent and is shown a straight red.

What would be the expected punishment ?
Just a 3 match ban for the straight red for violent conduct ?
or would it be a more extended period ?

Also as an additional query, if the sent off player continued to mouth off at the sideline, was heard making severe, violent threats to the same player for post match repurcutions that weren't heard by the ref but reported by several spectators including children, would that be included in the punishment or is in not included as the ref didn't hear it ?

And to add even more if said player then tried to strike one of his own team mates in the car park after and was climbing over parked cars to try to get to him, in full view of opposition players and spectators, again would this be admissible ?

This hypothetical situation was say for example in a league below step 7 and was officiated by a female ref who although none of the aggression was aimed at her, still was definitely left a little rattled by it all, as she is maybe only around 21 years old etc.

As I said, all hypothetical of course..

(This post was edited by Rushcliffe on Sep 16, 2019, 12:30 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 16, 2019, 10:21 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #2 of 5 (1827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rushcliffe] Expected suspension for punching on opposing player [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This hypothetical character sounds very unpleasant, I think he (And about 10 others) play for Marlow.

In answer to your question, it all depends on what the referee, or others report.
For the initial punch that is violent conduct, 3 match ban, unless the player is a serial offender.
In the event of the next situation, the abuse, the referee can report it, or those who witnessed it could do so themselves if they felt the need. Whether the governing body, in this case more than likely to be the local County FA would do anything is a matter for them. My experience is that they would, others may disagree.
The same principle applies to the third incident, it could be reported by the referee, and I would expect her to do so if she witnessed it, or the other parties involved.
As they are within the car park, it is admissible as they are still on the premises of where the match took place.
It all depends as well as to how it is reported. If the referee was to report it, it should be done technically as three separate reports. That increases the chances of a far lengthier punishment being dished out.
When I was refereeing, I had an incident where I sent a player off for abusing an opponent. As he walked off, he abused me. He then went and got changed and stood watching the game unbeknown to me, but then gave me some further abuse. I asked him to leave the ground , which he did after his manager and team mates persuaded him. At the end of the game, guess what? He gave me and some of the opponents some more abuse which included threats.
I spent the rest of my Sunday writing 5 reports, 2 lots of abuse to opponents, 3 lots to me, and submitted them. He was banned from playing for 3 years, and fined 150, although to be fair his team had already binned him by then.
Sorry if the answer to your hypothetical question is a bit long winded, but it can be a complex matter.

Yorkstar
Youth Team Sub

Sep 16, 2019, 12:36 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rushcliffe] Expected suspension for punching on opposing player [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I have to be careful what I say as obviously posting on social media about events in a game can be treacherous waters, so ill do this as a hypothetical situation.

So if a defender has just committed a foul, not a serious foul, just a plain free kick, no card shown, out wide around half way into the defenders half, and while both on the floor the player who was fouled throws 2 punches at his grounded opponent and is shown a straight red.

Also as an additional query, if the sent off player continued to mouth off at the sideline, was heard making severe, violent threats to the same player for post match repurcutions that weren't heard by the ref but reported by several spectators including children, would that be included in the punishment or is in not included as the ref didn't hear it ?

And to add even more if said player then tried to strike one of his own team mates in the car park after and was climbing over parked cars to try to get to him, in full view of opposition players and spectators, again would this be admissible ?

This hypothetical situation was say for example in a league below step 7 and was officiated by a female ref who although none of the aggression was aimed at her, still was definitely left a little rattled by it all, as she is maybe only around 21 years old etc.

1. For the sending off, it woudl be a simple 3 game ban and standard fine - unless a serial offender, It woudl be dealt with automatically.

2. Unless the matter was heard by the referee or other FA official, the persons would have to report to the clubs' CFA. They woudl then decide if a further charge was to be made against the player - as it was an extraordinary incident, If a charge was made, there would be a panel engaged and if the player appealed - the persons reporting may be required to attend to provide evidence. Unless there is substantial reports, it is unlike to progress to charge.

3. Same again, but if he going for his own players he is unlikely to play for them again.... This sounds more like a police / breach of the peace matter.

Only if there is racist or similar comments, is the referee obligated to report that "somebody said" and the national FA will investigate.

ramblingrover
Junior Team Regular

Sep 16, 2019, 4:33 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorkstar] Expected suspension for punching on opposing player [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

1. For the sending off, it woudl be a simple 3 game ban and standard fine - unless a serial offender, It woudl be dealt with automatically.

2. Unless the matter was heard by the referee or other FA official, the persons would have to report to the clubs' CFA. They woudl then decide if a further charge was to be made against the player - as it was an extraordinary incident, If a charge was made, there would be a panel engaged and if the player appealed - the persons reporting may be required to attend to provide evidence. Unless there is substantial reports, it is unlike to progress to charge.

3. Same again, but if he going for his own players he is unlikely to play for them again.... This sounds more like a police / breach of the peace matter.

Only if there is racist or similar comments, is the referee obligated to report that "somebody said" and the national FA will investigate.

1. Could be longer if the referees report indicates that the punches caused serious bodily harm, when it'll come under the "assault by participant on other participant regulations". Last time I saw that used the player got a five year ban from the county FA - after the police had dealt with the matter.

007Dale
First Team Star

Sep 17, 2019, 5:55 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ramblingrover] Expected suspension for punching on opposing player [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Beyond the football related bans, surely the punch constitutes assault and could also be dealt with by the police.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3