Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 13, 2019, 9:53 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #1 of 15 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Friday 13th September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Arbroath 1 Partick Thistle 1 (HT 1-0)
Scottish League, Championship (7.05pm kick-off)
Admission £18
Programme £2.50 (24pp, glossy, decent)
Teamsheet 20p
Attendance 1,214 (per Arbroath tweet)
The usual refreshments available (didn’t bother)

An engaging match, about 25 years after my only other visit to Gayfield, capped a cracking day in sunny Arbroath. After two promotions in three seasons, the Red Lichties are operating in the heady heights of the second tier. A draw moved Arbroath up to third, with Partick, still awaiting a first league win, climbing off the foot of the table, at Dunfermline’s expense.

This see-saw encounter could have gone either way. Arbroath bossed the first half, Partick had the better of the second. Jags keeper Scott Fox kept his team in it with three excellent saves before the break. He denied Thomas O’Brien (3mins), Bobby Linn (13mins) and Michael McKenna (36mins). Fox could do little about Arbroath’s 14th-minute opener, a free header inside the six-yard box by big defender Jason Thomson. Great to see Kenny Miller, up front for Partick, still clearly enjoying his football at 39. The former Scotland and Old Firm ace equalised in the 65th minute, rapping a snapshot into the net from 16 yards after Dario Zanatta had laid back an Osman Kakay cross. Part-time Arbroath looked knackered in the last 15 minutes. Red Lichties keeper Darren Jamieson did well to block a 19-yard Reece Cole free-kick (83mins) before an offside flag thwarted team-mate Luke Donnelly (85mins), on the pitch only three minutes, when the sub thought he’d sidefooted the winner.

Gayfield was exactly as I remembered: its four stands, lush pitch and spotless surroundings all in immaculate condition. Surprisingly good turnout from Partick. Despite the match being shown live on TV, they brought a couple of hundred supporters. Judging by the remarks made by home fans around me, the Arbroath faithful still can’t believe they’re playing at this level. I see Twitter indicates the hosts were unfortunate to have Donnelly’s late effort chalked off.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 13, 2019, 10:17 PM)

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 13, 2019, 11:04 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #2 of 15 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Skelmersdale United 1 Wythenshawe Town 2, FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round, Att: 71 (h/c 110), Admission: £6, Prog: £2 (at Prescot Cables FC)

I've always enjoyed a visit to Prescot's ground and since my last visit it appears to have had a decent tidy up and is as smart as I've seen it for many a year. The cavernous main stand, despite it's age and it's mismatched seats is still very impressive and affords a wonderful elevated view of proceedings. Below is a shallow paddock and to the right is a part-covered terrace behind the goal nearest the entrance with wide concrete steps. The other two sides are simple hard standing, with a shallow grass bank opposite the stand which is in theory out of bounds to spectators but provided my view for the evening of an entertaining game which the home side deserved their half time lead before lower ranked Wythenshawe dominated the second period scoring two goals either side the hour mark having missed a first half spot kick.

Parking, as ever, was at a premium in the local side streets in an area which leaves a little to be desired. Índeed an announcement warned of kids hanging round a Mercedes with it's alarm sounding. On the up side, a small bar has been added in under the stand serving ales from the local Melwood Brewery, the two on offer tonight being on excellent form.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 14, 2019, 12:20 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Machynlleth 1 Radnor Valley 2

Cae Glas: FAW Trophy Second Round

This was my first visit to Cae Glas just over five years and the main change to the ground in that time had been the installation of floodlights. These were finally switched on and used last season, however, the match against The New Saints fell victim to a waterlogged pitch and appears not to have been re-arranged. The previous fixture that I watched at this ground was against Radnor Valley in the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division. A number of the visiting players on that occasion would be in the Radnor Valley squad this evening after the Crow Lane club subsequently folded. Apart from the addition of floodlights, there have been no significant changes to the ground, which in the past had previously hosted Welsh Amateur Cup finals in the formative decades of the 20th century. There is small stand on the one side of the pitch and this is adjacent to the building housing the changing and refreshment facilities. Machynlleth came into this FAW Trophy tie in mid-table in the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division table and their last outing was a fortnight ago when the Cae Glas men defeated local rivals Borth United 6-2 in the first qualifying round of the JD Welsh Cup. Radnor Valley have experienced a difficult start to their league campaign, winning just one of their opening five fixture, which sees the Goats sat in the lower echelons of the First Division table. The New Radnor men have also enjoyed a two-week break from action since losing 4-0 at league leaders Llanidloes Town in their previous outing and would be hoping that a break from the ‘bread and butter’ would bring a welcome change in fortunes.

The visitors made a sound start to proceedings this evening and their talisman, Joey Price, fired a low 25 yard effort straight at the Machynlleth goalkeeper in the 11th minute before the hosts opened the scoring seven minutes later. A corner to the far past was headed back into the danger area and forced into the back of Will Fowden's net from close range. The Goats were back on level terms in the 27th minute when a Machynlleth defender stuck out a leg at a loose ball and inadvertently diverted it past his own goalkeeper from the edge of the penalty area. The Magloanians saw a low drive from the edge of the Radnor Valley penalty area saved by Fowden six minutes later before Goats forward Geraint Lloyd turned and fired narrowly wide of the near post from a cross on the right in the 35th minute as the two teams headed for the changing rooms at the break on level terms. The hosts headed wide of the far post in the opening minute after the interval and eight minutes later forced Fowden to save a deflected effort from nearly 30 yards out. Joey Price drove down the left flank in the New Radnor outfit's next attack but fired his effort over the crossbar from the left edge of the penalty area. The same player saw his 58th minute free-kick from the edge of the Machynlleth penalty area strike the woodwork before strike partner Callum Matthews headed the Goast ahead from a corner 10 minutes later. A home forward had a great opportunity to equalise in the 79th minute put fired wide of the target when put through on goal before the Goats' defence blocked a low shot two minutes later. Radnor Valley always looked dangerous on the break in the closing stages as the Maglonians failed to fashion a second goal despite a late spell of concerted pressure on their opponent's goal.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 269
Matches: 54
New Grounds: 13

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 14, 2019, 12:46 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 15 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cambs County Senior A (notional step 8)
Somersham Town 4-0 Milton
Around 70-80 in attendance
No admission charge or programme

Called in at this pleasant little ground a couple of years ago during one of the UCL hops and liked it so much I vowed to come back for a game one day. This, the first of two successive Friday games under the lights, was the ideal opportunity (apart from the slog through Friday afternoon motorway traffic).

Strangely, Somersham are scheduled to play nearly all their home games in the first half of the season, but I forgot to ask why.

The West End Ground, unsurprisingly on the western edge of town on the main drag in, hosted Eastern Counties League football from 1988-2004. Car park, bar and facilities are behind the near goal, characterful low but decent-sized covered enclosures on either side of the pitch and the far end, with a small training pitch behind it, is nominally out of bounds. Plenty of greenery around, all nicely rustic and a throwback to a time before grading demands higher up the pyramid knocked much of the charm out of grounds like this.

The game was good too, played at a decent tempo between two teams who looked like footballers...not always a given at this level of the game. Some quality finishing from the home side too. Both sides also hit the woodwork and previously-unbeaten Milton certainly played their part but once Somersham added to their interval lead they ran riot.

Lovely ground, decent game and the company of Spud and Dribble all made for a fine evening's entertainment.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 14, 2019, 5:45 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #5 of 15 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NCAA @Torero Stadium. KO 19:00. $10. No programme. Crowd 250 -350.

USD 1 v 0 UC Davis

Great drive through LA this morning, traffic flowing freely, sun shining, wind in my hair (OK not the last one). Loved the Torero stadium, built into a hillside high above San Diego, with great views towards the coast. Large bleacher stands on 3 sides providing an excellent view.

Sadly a poor game with the goal from a free kick in the 73rd minute, a rare moment of quality. Several yellow cards but little in the way of serious fouls. The visitors completely controlled the first 20 minutes but failed to turn possession into goals. Even after half an hour I had resigned myself to a 0-0 it was that disappointing. Strange that the Davis keeper was time wasting at 0-0 when they were on top.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Sep 14, 2019, 7:09 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....After the nth week of w*rk based toil and stresses, time to log off and head in the direction of Donkey Lane EN1 for a Vase relaxant.....

New Salamis 2 v 0 Tower Hamlets - FA Vase Second Qualifying Round
Prog 18 pages Online, requiring a short interlude in the working day where the massive 33mb PDF is downloaded and printed by one of our super speedy new printers (and as an aside my wonderful employers are committed to going paperless but then spend thousands of Council Tax payers money on 'state of the art' photocopier/printers) - Admission £5.00 - Att 73

....Quite enjoyed this with both teams attacking frequently, the difference between the teams was that the hosts had the better fortune in front of goal whereas Tower Hamlets either struck the woodwork or found Tyler Forde between the sticks for Salanis in good form.

The open nature of the contest is instantly apparent with a superb strike from Suaibo Balde struck with power from some distance for the visitors crashing back off the bar but the hosts were soon in front with a decent cross from the left sent over by George Lutaaya (one of several Salanis players that were recognised as having played higher up the food chain) being controlled by Irnti Rapai, one touch took the Tower Hamlets defender out of the equation and he placed his close range shot wide of Jack Gannon. For an obscure reason, thought that it was Richard Georgiou who had scored, but with the hugely experienced duo of Scott and Wiggins stating that it was Rapai, doubt was sown in the memory recesses and video confirmation on the home twitter confirm that experience always prevails.

Plenty of good approach play for both teams in the remainder of the first half, however what was apparent was that although Tower Hamlets had an equal amount of possession, they did not use it to good effect with the likes of Deese Kasinga and Balde failing to utilise the positions that they found themselves and conceding possession in and around the penalty area.

Second half was equally entertaining, the visitors were at long last able to locate the space required to shoot in the direction of goal, however they failed to level predominantly due to a succession of flying leaps from Forde to push away well struck efforts from the like of Balde and Joshua Rusoke. Salamis made better passing use of the Donkey Lane carpet and they should have doubled their advantage with Georgiou peeling away from the visitors defence but shooting straight at Gannon. Only a matter of minutes before the advantage was doubled thus ensuring that extra time and penalties would not be a feature of the evening. Good goal too, with Josh Grantham curling one past Gannon into the far corner. The hosts had few problems thereafter to take their place in the next round.

It is New Salamis first season at Level 6 and much like St Panteleimon who have also joined the SML Senior, the club has it's roots in North London's Greek community and noted that the manager is George Georgiou who is almost certainly the same player as the prolific Purfleet striker from approximately fifteen years ago.

The usual good company of those from far and wide making the whole evening whizz by. Easy journeys in both direction and indoors at the regulation 23.38 when boarding the 22.55 from Fenchurch Street......

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 14, 2019, 8:52 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #7 of 15 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

“It is New Salamis first season at Level 6 and much like St Panteleimon who have also joined the SML Senior, the club has it's roots in North London's Greek community and noted that the manager is George Georgiou who is almost certainly the same player as the prolific Purfleet striker from approximately fifteen years ago”..

Definitely one and the same Timmy....he also played for Fulham and Dagenham & Redbridge....if I remember he had a very good head of hair and as you say he was prolific.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 14, 2019, 9:01 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #8 of 15 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Arriva Bangor 8-3 Cefni
Anglesey League
£1 in (raffle)
Att: 25 (h/c)

This wasn't the trouncing that the final score would suggest. For long periods the game was very even, and Cefni had a long spell of pressure at the start of the 2nd half, but the difference was in the quality of finishing. The first half could have ended 5-5 based on the number of clear-cut chances created, but actually finished 5-0 to Arriva. The home team provided some clinical finishes, but Cefni's forwards squandered a succession of open goals and 1-on-1s. Cefni came out after the break determined to put right what they had got so badly wrong in the 1st half, and brought it back to 5-2 before the hour. They had other chances to reduce the deficit further, but Arriva then scored 3 more in an 8 minute spell to put the game to bed. Cefni's late 3rd was scarcely a consolation. Wonderfully entertaining game between 2 teams who went for it from start to finish, but also played in a very sporting manner.

Arriva use the same 3G at Treborth as Bangor 1876. It's been described on here a few times already, and is perfectly adequate for Anglesey League games. I can imagine that the crowds following the other club could cause issues with access along the single track road approaching the facility, and also in the small car park. No such issues last night.

(This post was edited by Bantam Cymraeg on Sep 14, 2019, 9:03 AM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 14, 2019, 9:22 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 15 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
“It is New Salamis first season at Level 6 and much like St Panteleimon who have also joined the SML Senior, the club has it's roots in North London's Greek community and noted that the manager is George Georgiou who is almost certainly the same player as the prolific Purfleet striker from approximately fifteen years ago”..

Definitely one and the same Timmy....he also played for Fulham and Dagenham & Redbridge....if I remember he had a very good head of hair and as you say he was prolific.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Tim

Sep 14, 2019, 10:31 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #10 of 15 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Smethwick Rangers 0 Dudley Town 1 (FA Vase) Att: 200+

Not a classic. The first quarter of an hour and the entire second half were pretty grim. Dudley dominated the remaining 30 minutes, but managed to convert only one of their numerous chances, banged home from close range by Lewis Taylor-Boyce. Dudley progress to the first round proper for the first time in six years - hope they get a tasty draw. However, if they win the trophy, I'll eat my programme collection.

Smethwick Rangers (according to their chairman, they are still Rangers, and the shirt badges and prog would confirm this)) are now sharing at Tividale. It's a long time since I've seen a crowd this size at The Beeches, which looks unchanged from m first visit in about 1976. A modest hoppers' corner included our very own KnowYourMarket, back on his old stamping ground. Admission was £3 for a codger, and a prog was £1. Enjoyable evening, but shame about the game...

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Sep 14, 2019, 7:32 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #11 of 15 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not much to add to PaulH66 match report, totally agree, a ground well worth visiting and we had a full moon plus church bells to accompany the football. Nice to meet up with Spud again and also to meet PaulH66 ( Norwood missed two one on ones today))

Last New ground; Crowborough Athletic, Games in 2019/20 Season; 39, New Grounds this Season; 17, Next scheduled game: tbc

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

KnowYourMarket

Sep 16, 2019, 9:14 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #12 of 15 (806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As Tim mentioned I was also here. My last visit to Tividale was on Grand National day in 1986! When I got in my car at 1745 my SatNav told me I would arrive at 2030, so after a cross country adventure across Staffordshire I did get there for 1915.

Scrappy game which Dudley should have won more comfortably. Smethwick Rangers were poor. Thankfully my journey home was Ok and indoors for 2230.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Sep 16, 2019, 2:25 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #13 of 15 (694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cefn Albion 1-2 Lex XI (0-1 HT) at The Rock
FAW Trophy 2nd Round
Admission: £2, Programme: None(?), Tea: £1
Attendance: 85 (h/c)

At the other Welsh Trophy match on this evening, with the holders taking on the newly reformed Lex from the division below. Not entirely sure how the result ended up like this as Cefn Albion had numerous chances throughout the match but a combination of poor finishing (thwacking the ball over the netting from inside the back on several occasions) and good defending by Lex kept the hosts to only one goal. Even that goal was a bit lucky as an Albion player went down injured after the ref blew for a free kick, but the hosts took the free kick quickly anyway and scored while most of the opposition weren't entirely ready. Lex's goals came in either half, the first coming when the keeper came out too early allowing a Lex player to lob him and the second after a deflection. Not a full operation at The Rock tonight, with one of the tea bars and the clubhouse closed in addition to money being taken through the side gate instead of the turnstiles. Presumably this is the norm for Albion matches as it more than coped with tonight's crowd.

Grounds visited: 298
Last new ground: Welfare Ground (Brandon United)
Next planned fixture: S Shields v Atherton Colls - NPL Premier - 5/10/19

Syd
Junior Team Sub

Sep 17, 2019, 5:01 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town, Blidworth Welfare, Everton, Ground hopping.

Post #14 of 15 (516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FRIDAY 13TH Sept 2019
Derby c (1) 1 v Cardiff c (1) 1
Pride park stadium, Derby
Championship
K/o 19:45
Adm: Season ticket
Programme: £3.50
Att: 25,873

Derby County Line up:
21 Roos
25 Lowe
6 Keogh Booked at 18mins
16 Clarke
46 Malone
44 Huddlestone
5 Bielik
9 Waghorn
23 Holmes Substituted for Jozefzoon at 81'minutes
10 Lawrence Booked at 88mins
14 Marriott Substituted for Martin at 86'minutes

Substitutes
7 Paterson
8 Dowell
11 Jozefzoon
12 Hamer
19 Martin
33 Davies
38 Knight

Cardiff City Line up
12 Smithies
2 Peltier Booked at 40mins
4 Morrison
5 Flint Booked at 90mins
3 Bennett
7 Bacuna
8 Ralls
20 Whyte Substituted for Mendez-Laing at 60'minutes
13 Paterson
11 Murphy Substituted for Hoilett at 60'minutes
9 Glatzel Substituted for Bogle at 89'minutes

Substitutes
6 Vaulks
10 Vassell
16 Nelson
19 Mendez-Laing
25 Day
27 Bogle
33 Hoilett

1st half: Derby Kicking off towards North stand

6: Goal Derby C, Malone

18: (6) Keogh Booked - Derby C
19: Goal Cardiff C, Glatzel (pen)

40: (2) Peltier Booked - Cardiff C

2nd half: Cardiff Kick off towards North stand

60: (20) Whyte Substituted for Mendez-Laing - Cardiff C
60: (11) Murphy Substituted for Hoilett - Cardiff C
81: (23) Holmes Substituted for Jozefzoon - Derby C
86: (14) Marriott Substituted for Martin - Derby C
89: (9) Glatzel Substituted for Bogle - Cardiff C

Full time 1 - 1

2018/19
Games: 21
New Grounds: 6
Goals: 21
0-0's: 1
2019/20
Games: 10
New grounds: 3(newest: Barry Town Utd Jenner Park Barry Wales)
Goals: 31
0-0's: 0

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 22, 2019, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 15 (368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Syd] Friday 13th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Uzbek Super Liga : FK Buxoro 0 Surkhon Termez 2. Admission 8,000 som (75p). No programmes; Attendance : 4,820
Brief match details and lots of tips for anyone thinking of visiting this country will follow on the International Hopping thread

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3