mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 4, 2019, 9:54 PM

Post #1 of 22 (2675 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 4 September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield Union 1 AFC Dronfield 3
County Senior League Div 1

Despite this being three levels higher, the quality of football on display was below that I saw in the Huddersfield & District League yesterday, although things were not helped by players frequently losing their footing on a hard pitch made very slippery by the frequent rain showers. Dronfield had too much know-how for the home team comprised mainly (wholly?) of students.

Unlike yesterday, the ref did not earn many plaudits - despite being out on the pitch 15 mins before the scheduled KO time he started things 5 mins late and took another 10 mins to realise nobody had bothered to bring the corner flags out.

The action took place on Pitch 3 at University of Sheffield Norton Sports Park. This is actually on the sixth, and bottom, level of the complex, futhest from the road and the closest grass pitch to the 3G on which I watched Sheffield Medics at the backend of last season. The 3G has a decent sized stand which would have come in useful with the rain, but was today partitioned into 3 sections for small-sided games.

(This post was edited by mick on Sep 4, 2019, 10:00 PM)

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 4, 2019, 10:26 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #2 of 22 (2622 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gwent Central League Division 1
Pontnewynydd 1 Pontypool Town 3
No admission or programme, attendance h/c 31

Though the midweek early evening games in the Gwent County League have pretty much dried up, there was action in all four of the feeder leagues this evening, so plenty to choose from for an evening of fresh air and free entertainment. And this one wasn't at all bad, with the home side taking the lead in the first minute and holding on until the last quarter when their legs and discipline seemed to go. Pontypool then scored three times in ten minutes, the first two coming from the penalty spot. But it was no more than the visitors deserved.

Pontnewynydd are the latest club to take up residence at The Ruffets, following the likes of Trevethin and most recently Wainfelin Bluebirds. Indeed it was to see Wainfelin in their short-lived spell in the Gwent County that I last visited this very 'off-the-beaten-track' ground four seasons ago. The fact that it has been a GCL ground so recently means the pitch is fully railed, and though there is no cover, hard standing or spectator facilities, the woods on all four sides of the ground give it an enclosed feel and make it a pleasant venue on an early Autumn evening.

There were two unusual features about the match. Firstly it was played throughout using a series of bright pink footballs. No! They may be just about acceptable if there is a covering of snow but not otherwise! Secondly it was superbly refereed by an official with an English FA referees badge on his breast pocket, a very unusual sight in the Principality. His accent also suggested he was from over the border, so how he ended up here tonight, I don't know.

The Moose
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 10:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 22 (2598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EAST CORNWALL PREM LGE: ROCHE 2 ST. TEATH 1

ADM / PROG: F & N. ATT: h/c 20

Finally managed to get a game in at ‘that’ rock, & the ground doesn’t disappoint. The cracking backdrop of said monument whets the appetite, as does the clay country setting in the distance. For step eight in the pyramid, this is a little gem. No furniture to ogle at, but railed of sorts with a large clubhouse. Minor grumble tonight, no tea bar open on a very autumnal evening. Else tiz a visit that’s very easy on the eye.

Always a pleasure to catch up with Tim, of this very parish too. We put the world to rights, including somehow nattering about brexit. Reckon we could make less of a hash of it than some more esteemed folk who’ve tried! Fortunately normal service was resumed, when chatting about the best grounds in Kernow & deepest Darzet etc. It made a chilly night fly, as to be fair the footy on show wasn’t of the highest quality to start with. Just when the proverbial ‘pair of specs’ looked to be on order, the second half perked up. Roche perhaps a tad fortunate, as the visitors hit the bar twice. Top notch evening in enjoyable company.

KRTM :-)

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 4, 2019, 11:20 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #4 of 22 (2546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sidmouth Town 0 Newton Abbot Spurs 4, South West Peninsula League East Division, Att: 90, Admission/Prog: £4

With nothing new within sensible travelling distance, I resorted to a revisit to Sidmouth, one of the more basic grounds of the SW Peninsula League. Since my previous visit, a simple shelter has been added along with floodlights, erected last year thanks to a deal which included a mobile phone mast. The neat clubhouse, set back from the pitch featured three handpumps although sadly only Doom Bar was available tonight. I settled for a cuppa and a pastie, very welcome on a chilly evening. The game was closer than the scoreline suggested, a young but willing Sidmouth side gave as good as they got for long periods without threatening much and the visitors were more experienced and more clinical in front of goal, scoring early and late in the first period and twice after the break to seal the win. Good to catch up with the hard-working Phil Hiscox.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on Sep 4, 2019, 11:21 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 11:42 PM

Post #5 of 22 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tintern Abbey 5 Chepstow Athletic 2

Leyton's Field: Monmouthshire Windows East Gwent League Second Division

Having heard about this ground from numerous hoppers over the years, I finally paid a visit to Tintern Abbey, set deep in the heart of the Wye Valley. What Leyton's Field lacks in spectator facilities, it certainly makes-up for in its stunning location, with the aforementioned abbey located behind one of the goals and providing a stunning backdrop for spectators to the ground. There is a small pavilion in the one corner of the ground, which houses the changing facilities and a small amount of cover for those watching in inclement weather, but apart from that, the ground has a very rural feel, which is befitting of its location besides the River Wye. The nature of the facilities and the small pitch dimensions means that Tintern Abbey will not be in a position to gain promotion to the Gwent Premier league in their current location despite winning the East Gwent League as most recently as the 2011/12 campaign. The home team had a much less successful campaign last term, finishing bottom of the First Division with just one victory, but had those points deducted and concluded the season pointless. Chepstow Athletic finished at the basement of the Second Division but did win five league matches last term and were only three points behind Thornwell Red and White Reserves. Both teams commenced their league fixtures on Saturday, with Tintern Abbey enjoying a 2-1 victory at Caldicot Castle Reserves, whilst the visitors went down 4-1 at Thornwell Red and White Reserves.

After striking an upright as early as the second minute, Tintern Abbey opened the scoring in the 25th minute, when a long throw into the danger area and the ball was forced over the goal line at the near post. Chepstow Athletic were back on level terms just six minutes later when the visitors broke down the right and a cross towards the edge of the home penalty area was poked past the Abbey goalkeeper. The hosts were back in front 10 minutes after the break, when a free-kick was played out to the right flank, before an inviting cross was deflected past the visiting custodian at his near posy. The lead was extended just two minutes later when cross from the right was headed past the Chepstow Athetic goalkeeper. The visitors were back in the match just eight minutes later, when the home defence failed to clear their penalty area fully from a dangerous free-kick, and a header from an ensuing cross beat the home goalkeeper. Tintern Abbey regained their two goal advantage with seven minutes remaining when a home forward ran through on to a well-times pass before sliding the ball past the advancing Athletic goalkeeper. The scoring for this evening's match was completed when an 87th minute free-kick was cooly swept past the Athletic goalkeeper to hand the home team more league victories than at this stage last term.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 247
Matches: 49
New Grounds: 13

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Sep 4, 2019, 11:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 22 (2498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Burscough FC 1-2 Emley...FA Vase Replay...Adm £6

Decided against a quiet night in and took the short trip down to Burscough despite the strong winds that were battering the coast.

I arrived in good time and seeing the frontage of the ground all boarded up, thought it wise to check they still played here. There are plans to sell off the ground according to twitter and the planners have already been in the mark their plans for future development. The side opposite the Main Stand is now no longer used and the railed fencing has been removed. The Club that was on that side of the ground was closed.... though there were a few people sat in the Club in the dark covertly watching the game for free.

The kick off saw Burscough with a strong to gale force wind behind them but they fell into the trap of over hitting the through balls and it was Emley who grafted hard and looked the better side against the wind.

Emley took the lead on 9 minutes through their No 10 Farrah, poking home at the far end of the ground. Burscough did get an equaliser after Emley failed to clear their lines and the Linnets No 9 headed home...all square at the break.

The second half saw Emley in the ascendancy, their left winger giving Burscough problems all game. A number of decent saves kept the scores level until the 88th minute. Emleys No 9 the stocky Bordman turned in the 6 yard box and fired low into the corner of the net. As the gent on the PA said, 'well done Emley you deserved it'.....and they did, looked a real handy side tonight.

Enjoyed this one, despite regular showers before the game, it stayed dry for the full 90 minutes and beyond.

Good run back, but did consider heading south to Junction 18 of the M6 where a tanker full of Gin had shed it's load and closed the motorway.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

(This post was edited by codofthenorth on Sep 4, 2019, 11:48 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 4, 2019, 11:56 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #7 of 22 (2491 views)
Shortcut

FA Womens National League Division 1 South West
Played at AFC Totton
Southampton FC Women 0-0 Southampton Womens FC
Attendance 557 (announced)
Admission £2 - saw no programmes
Roly Poly Goalie Pies (endorsed by Wayne Shaw) £3.50

No case for making goals smaller in womens football if this game is anything to go by as El Southamptico (if that's the right term to describe this derby or is there a female equivalent of El, Ella perhaps?) ended in stalemate. The independent visitors, determined to hold on to their status as the city's top womens team, shaded the first half but the hosts, perhaps aided by having use of their parent mens club's training facilities, finished the stronger and looked the more likely team to break the deadlock in the second half but the visitors put in a good shift and deserved to hold on for their point. Many spectators around me complained about the patches of darkness around the pitch which was caused by three of the four pylons on the main stand side each only having one of its two lights working. Surely they need to be of a higher standard for Step 4. The return game between these two sides at Romsey next February is also on a Wednesday night.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Sep 5, 2019, 12:35 AM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #8 of 22 (2445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior League Prem Div
Swinton Athletic v. Wakefield 3-0 (f&n, att 60 (est))

A post by PaulH66 back in April had alerted me to the fact that Swintom were playing at the former Mexborough Town Athletic ground, and it is in bery good nick, with lots of open terracing on the three sides in use, and a substantial "miners welfare" stand which I occupied for most of the game, due to the light rain.

An easy win for Swinton, even though (or because?) the Wakefield club had no less than 8 unused players in the stand, as well as a ful complement of sunstitutes. They all seemed a bit young and untried, however, and it only took 13 minutes for Samuel Green to put the home team ahead with a header. Enzo Guarini made it 2 on 23, before Curtis Wilkinson scored from a free kick on 53, which the keeper should eally have held. All very straightforward.
The ground is very handy for Mexborough station, especially if ypu use Paul's short cut up the steps from Hampson Road. I tried two of the pubs in town; the Falcon was in a nice building and well looked after, but there was something strange there; the beer was a bit too cold, and lots of the home fans seemed like they could be possible werewolves. A poorer group, but more groups are also aviablr.

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Sep 5, 2019, 7:31 AM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #9 of 22 (2225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior League Prem Div
Swinton Athletic v. Wakefield 3-0 (f&n, att 60 (est))

A post by PaulH66 back in April had alerted me to the fact that Swintom were playing at the former Mexborough Town Athletic ground, and it is in bery good nick, with lots of open terracing on the three sides in use, and a substantial "miners welfare" stand which I occupied for most of the game, due to the light rain.

An easy win for Swinton, even though (or because?) the Wakefield club had no less than 8 unused players in the stand, as well as a ful complement of sunstitutes. They all seemed a bit young and untried, however, and it only took 13 minutes for Samuel Green to put the home team ahead with a header. Enzo Guarini made it 2 on 23, before Curtis Wilkinson scored from a free kick on 53, which the keeper should eally have held. All very straightforward.
The ground is very handy for Mexborough station, especially if ypu use Paul's short cut up the steps from Hampson Road. I tried two of the pubs in town; the Falcon was in a nice building and well looked after, but there was something strange there; the beer was a bit too cold, and lots of the home fans seemed like they could be possible werewolves. A poorer group, but more groups are also aviablr.

You sure it was just the two pubs you visited?

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Sep 5, 2019, 7:39 AM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #10 of 22 (2210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sussexhopper] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think, looking at the time, I was falling asleep as I wrote that last paragraph!
What I should have said waa that after the rather strang Falcon, a much better bet was the Imperial on the junctiion of Cliffe Street and Queens Way. Not a such nice building, but a friendly welcome and they brew their own beer, including one called What a Wazak with a picture of the Prime Minister in a daft cap on the pumpclip.

dottirofhod

Sep 5, 2019, 7:55 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #11 of 22 (2179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think, looking at the time, I was falling asleep as I wrote that last paragraph!
What I should have said waa that after the rather strang Falcon, a much better bet was the Imperial on the junctiion of Cliffe Street and Queens Way. Not a such nice building, but a friendly welcome and they brew their own beer, including one called What a Wazak with a picture of the Prime Minister in a daft cap on the pumpclip.

Early morning ?

Is that a breed of Falcon ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Sep 5, 2019, 8:10 AM

Post #12 of 22 (2136 views)
Shortcut

....Meanwhile away from Werewolf infested Mexborough the remaining FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay....

White Ensign 2 v 3 Takeley - FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay
Prog 16 pages £1.00 - Admission £6.00 - Att 175(ish)*

* In response to a thread on the FA Competitions thread, nothing official seen to date, however a sizeable turnout of all those involved with the hosts, though maybe it is my aural deficit but the frequent calls of 'C'mon Ensign' sounded more like 'C'mon Enzyme'.

Good contest but several similarities with the previous nights proceedings at Witham with a very late leveller for the higher rated team thwarted any chances of what would have been a cupset of the minor variety. Unlike the previous evening, Takeley fully deserved the extra half hour as they were technically more proficient and took their chances unlike the hosts who had a lot of possession but only occasionally looked threatening in the final third.

First half did take time to ignite with White Ensign being particularly tentative going forward. They were indebted to their keeper James Parkins for two memorable saves late in the half, one in particular where he had to change direction to push over a George Powell header was extraordinary and a salmon like leap to push away a curler from Coby Miles that was heading just inside the post was equally impressive. Few opportunities for the hosts apart from a drive from Luke Skinner that ended up as one of the many balls during the duration of the game had to be retrieved from outside of the ground.

This was another in a increasing number of contests seen this season where the second half was far better in terms of entertainment than the first and what assisted was White Ensign taking the lead when a quick move down the left saw a low cross which the eventually found Conner Barnby and he poked in (and from this angle it was a poke) from just outside the penalty area. The lead was short lived with a cross from Tom Jelliman being met by Bryn Thorpe, his initial effort came off the post but the rebound was untidily guided over the line.

The hosts then had their best period and after Matt Gill in the Takeley goal had pulled off a save equal to what his counterpart had produced earlier pushing a drive from Brett Munyard around the post, he was beaten by a clear deflection after a drive from distance from L Skinner had been unleashed. As the minutes ticked down, the likelihood of White Ensign claiming their second ESL FA Cup win increased even more so when a free kick from Nick Barrett was glanced wide by Gill who had joined the stoppage time attacking fray. Problem was the tendency of the hosts to keep conceding free kicks and a quick piece of thinking in what was the final minute of stoppage time from Jelliman with a short free kick that surprised the home defence saw a cross from Barrett and despite hints that there was a handball in the ensuing, Lewis Deamer rammed the ball over the line from close range to ensure the additional thirty minutes.

What turned out to be the winning goal came in the second minute of stoppage time with another cross from Barrett this time on the left being fumbled by Parkins into the path of Deamer who dispatched the rebound. There was plenty of extra time possession from White Ensign but few actual threats to the Takeley goal, the more long balls that came forward showed the commanding performance from Powell at the heart of the Takeley defence who 'won everything' that came in his direction. In the end there was a just a small hint that there was a slight difference in ability between the currently top of the table ESL team and their next level opponents. Sure that Takeley will give Potters Bar Town a strenuous test in the next round.

White Ensign appear to be enjoying their tenancy at Burroughs Park a lot more than the wide open spaces of Basildon Sports Village and there was a vibrancy to their support which was on occasion raucous. Burroughs Park is still a venue which is clearly looked after and runs with precision apart from when the hot food ran out at half time leaving several disgruntled who were unable to fulfil their burger cravings.

Extra time meant the obvious recalculating of travel plans but a brisk just over half hour walk between Burroughs Park and Shoebury Station enabled to 22.57 to be boarded with particular care being taken whilst travelling over a particularly dark footpath over farmland which cuts at least fifteen minutes off of any journey to and from. Indoors just the right side of the ending of Wednesday....

mxhornet
First Team Star

Sep 5, 2019, 8:14 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #13 of 22 (2123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cambridge City Ladies - 2 Cambridge United Women - 2
FA Women's National League South East Division One
Demcom Stadium (Ely City FC)
Attendance - 150ish
Admission - £3
Programme - £1 (16 pages glossy)

An interesting derby match between two sides who have a shared history, now meeting again at the 4th level on women's football, plus following from last season's pitchgate in the Women's FA Cup the rivalry would have intensified.
United off to a quick start 1-0 up after 75 seconds and pretty dominant for first 20 minutes before City found their feet and an equaliser came 24 minutes in, City starting to get on top by half time. A lively start to the second half saw the sides exchange soft goals, plenty of effort from both sides get a winner but it remained 2-2. A decent enough game given the wind in the Fens, quite niggly at times but that was pretty much expected.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Sep 5, 2019, 8:46 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #14 of 22 (2028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich Town Women 4 Norwich City Women 1
Division One, South East
At Felixstowe and Walton Utd

Admission: Free with ITFC Season ticket
Programme: Free colour teamsheet
Attendance: 761!!!

The Women's team has now re-formed closer links with Ipswich Town men's team and that certainly paid off with this massive crowd last night, I think the main club promoted this game more than they did the Leasing.com cup game v Spurs.

The 761 who attended will have been very impressed with the football Ipswich played, totally dominated the first half but only got one goal (another disallowed and they also hit the bar)

Second half was a bit scrappier, not helped as the coastal wind picked up- Ipswich got a second goal and then to surprise of most Norwich pulled one back.

Ipswich then regained control and added a further two goals, am sure that many of the 761 will now go back on a Sunday afternoon to see further Ipswich Town Women's games.

Last New ground; Crowborough Athletic, Games in 2019/20 Season; 39, New Grounds this Season; 17, Next scheduled game: tbc

http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 5, 2019, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #15 of 22 (1873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Park View 1 West Essex 4
FA Vase First Q Rd. Att: 31 (h/c)
Admission £7 Programme £2 for 16 pages (Last 3 were blank) . Nicely produced but little meaningful content and at 2 quid a rip off . However, at least Park View bother to produce.

At the second time of asking we finally saw this tie concluded after the original encounter on Friday was curtailed due to serious injury suffered by a West Essex player late on. It turns out the guy has a double break and had to wait almost 2 hours for an ambulance to arrive, I hope his recovery is swift.
As for the re staging (Not a replay as stated on the programme cover), it followed a similar pattern as the first in West Essex enjoyed decent possession but fell behind to a well taken goal. However they swiftly equalised then took a just as swift lead and never looked like surrendering it.
The hosts led in the half hour with a free kick on the left played into the box. The control on the chest and subsequent half volley into the back of the net was real class. However within 8 minutes West Essex levelled. A good through ball was missed by a home defender and the grateful visiting forward opened his body well and placed the ball across the keeper into the far corner. Within 4 minutes the tie was turned in its head, with a good build up down the right and the subsequent low cross was turned in at the near post for an own goal although to be fair 2 West Essex players were in a good position to finish had he not made a touch.
The second half started with West Essex in ascendency and the added to their lead on 57 with a good pass finding the forward who held off a challenge before driving home to the keepers right. They added a fourth on 70 with a well taken effort from a tight angle after the winger had cut in from the right and most were expecting a cross. After that it felt the visitors would add more and would have added one except for an outstanding save by the home keeper turning away a powerful drive from 10 yards. For a small guy he is an excellent keeper, dominating his box and not afraid to come for crosses.
In the end it was comfortable for West Essex who at step 5 are one level above their hosts.
I would recommend Park View as a visit to anyone who has yet to do so. Although the crowd (Appeared less than half the original tie) is scattered around the cavernous stand and there is a track, the view is good and on both visits I found those running Park View to be very friendly and welcoming.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Sep 5, 2019, 10:58 AM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #16 of 22 (1771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Youth Cup Preliminary Round
Cleethorpes Town 0 Guiseley AFC 7
Att: 68 Adm: comp (usually £3) Teamsheet: free

Assumed secretarial duties for this one and, as expected, the young Owls were well beaten by an impressive Guiseley side.

A foul night with driving rain on and off throughout saw the Lions put the tie to bed by scoring 3 times in the first 14 minutes. The middle period was more even, although you had the feeling that Guiseley had more goals in them. So it proved - they registered four more in the last quarter-hour.

Obviously a learning curve for Clee. However, you do wonder about the benefit of getting such a thrashing. One or two of the teenagers looked pretty dispirited as they trudged off. Also, the hierarchy of the club is not going to be too pleased that the dressing room door received a hefty boot from a frustrated youngster - I think that there will be words!

2019/20 season: 17 competitive games
(11 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 2 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 66 (3.9 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 16)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 5, 2019, 11:20 AM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 22 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ipswich Town Women 4 Norwich City Women 1
Division One, South East
At Felixstowe and Walton Utd

Admission: Free with ITFC Season ticket
Programme: Free colour teamsheet
Attendance: 761!!!

Not too sure how other groundshares work, but ITFC we’re struggling for volunteers when they played at Ipswich Wanderers. So we volunteered to do everything for them, they just turn up and play, and we take the gate. Since this arrangement started the match day revenue has barely covered the costs of the hospitality and wages, but that changed last night. Around £1,000 on the gate and 50/50 and very large bar / tea bar takings certainly means they don’t owe us anything for this season.
But where the hell did all those fans come from?

gresleyfcfan
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 5, 2019, 8:35 PM

Team(s): Gresley FC

Post #18 of 22 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Had a mrs. free night so met up with a good friend at the local for

Gresley Under 18s 13-0 Coalville Town Ravens.

After an 8-1 win away at Kirby Muxloe, the next generation of Gresley youth took to home turf for the first time and did it in style against a shell-shocked Coalville side who were simply outplayed all over the park. It could quite easily have been 20-0 with the number of chances created and I'm excited to see how we handle against the financial clout of the Basford Under 19s in the youth cup very soon.

royals26

Sep 5, 2019, 11:26 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #19 of 22 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

(one of the other.....anyone do Runcorn for the full set? Tongue)

FA Cup Preliminary Replay

ASM Stadium

Thame Rangers 2-4 Wantage Town
aet FT 2-2
{STEP06 Hellenic One East} v {STEP04 Southern Div One - Central}

Adm: £5 +£1 prog - not bad - monochrome paper effort but plenty of material - good for a club at this STEP.
Haven't thumbed through to check if there is any references to their development/gestation from the former OSL club Oakley.

Att: official 115 - fair smattering of 'Freds' most were huddled out of the prevailing wind over on the main stand side.

- like Highworth, this area has a microclimate that regularly fringes on the absolutely perishin' - compared to parishes round and about. Must be the draught down off the Chilterns.

Directions: Fairly regular visitor here - not seen the 'lodgers'/lesser Thame side here before though - I don't think

Out up and over the Chilterns on the B481 then across Xmas Common and down via Kingston Blount- Chinnor out to Thame on the B4445

arr 15' before KO

Facilities: Car Park almost full but there were other games going on, on the outside pitches plus presumably other users of complex?

Even the local Fire Brigade were doing some training too - a few signs up mentioning this - dressed in full hazmat kit: not sure what kind of emergency they were practising 'cos when I arrived they were kicking a ball about - as best they could!! Sly

Tea Hatch serving burgers and sausages in a bun plus chips - asked for Chips and a Sausage (sans Bun) but the server got confused and gave me a bun anyway

Popular bar - not sure where the access is at the start and during 1st half- once you'd gone through the turnstile - but the side gate does (eventually) get opened down the far end of the stand, to allow direct access from HT. Had a half of 'local' bitter XT.
Before the chill really set in late on - I managed to get the obligatory Bovril too keep me defrosted during ET. Cool

Match: Started c 10' late - some visiting fans were mentioning issues on the A34 - presumably round Oxford?

0-1 Ty Lee from a corner
1-1 levelled right on H/t quick breakaway by Thame's Rashford-like striker (Hatton) who was proving a nuisance to the rather ponderous 'Freds' backline all night.

Ht
2-1 55' simple ball over the top beat the backpedalling CB and a cool finish past the keeper to the far corner by the LW (Baxter) . At this point it was clear why Wantage are struggling up at STEP04 early doors this term - and a big upset seemed likely.

2-2 79' late on low shot across keeper by Musa.

Though the hosts were being pressed evermore onto the back foot there were flurry of chances close to the Freds goal near the end: with post & bar being struck. There followed a sequence of two last ditch goal-line clearances and when the ball was fired in from about 1 meter, the keeper somehow managed to get some part of his anatomy behind the ball and it skewed clear.
Et

Period i) Wantage more and more on top with TR cramping up but gave no clear openings.
Wantage subs were now making a real difference; good use of space outside the box - and especially running in on the touchlines wide on both sides whilst pulling the hosts back-line around. Rangers foroay became more infrequent and lacked their earlier penetration.

period ii) pressure told
- 2-3 from a corner powerful free header on the back post (Jackson)
- 2-4 strong run in from wide on the right along the touchline low cross controlled, side-stepped CB and knocked calmly across keeper from close range to the far post. (Mutero)

'Freds' have the dubious pleasure of trying to contend with Supermarine in the next round - can't see them surviving on recent form but the late flurry in ET shows they do have something promising to build on. I think they'll be outrun and outmuscled though.

Back via Watlington & Nettlebed indoors by about 23:10

IAN S
First Team Star

Sep 6, 2019, 2:57 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #20 of 22 (745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mardy 1 Fairfield United 2

Gwent Central One

h/t 1-1

h/c 38

This game and venue was a lot better than I expected. Short trip down from Ewyas Harold, my base for the week. Ground behind a school and with scenic hills all around despite being on a housing estate. Fairfield were much the better side in the first half but couldn't take their many chances. They were eventually pegged back by the home team after taking the lead. They re-took the lead with a penalty. About fifteen minutes from the end they had two players sent off in quick succession. After that it was backs-to-the-wall for the remainder of the game. They held out in the end to go top of the table.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Sep 6, 2019, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #21 of 22 (576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well time sure has flown by for me this season and not allowed any posting's on WDYG .. but since visiting Deal Town and posting back in early July, there has in fact been many an enjoyable trip out and about, so far in 19/20 .. with numerous PSF 4G pitch enclosures .. the local Clubs of Pompey (with Mrs hh four times), Paulsgrove, Upper Beeding, Lyndhurst, Lavant, Roffey and Fareham Town seen .. then the "northern" games at Hemel, Stotfold, Luton Academy, Risborough Rangers, Harlow Town, Hornchurch, Tooting & Mitcham Utd, Solihull Moors, Badshot Lea, Blackpool and Tottenham .. all having come and gone (what a stadium the latter is and certainly not going anywhere) .. then I guess we can only resume by going "south" .. Tongue

Ryde Saints 3-6 Brading Town
(Isle of Wight Saturday League, Division 1)
- played at Smallbrook Stadium, Ryde from 6.20pm (Ref was late for 6pm KO)

Att – around 40; Entry – none, Prog – None, no refreshment
Weather – a sunny breezy evening
Travel – from Pompey on Whitelink Cat, with train to Ryde St John’s and a twenty five minute walk .. seemingly all up hill.
Colours – Saints in all light blue .. Romans in all red

Game was played in the middle of the Warriors speedway track .. so, all facilities set up for .. speedway .. good seated main stand but nothing else for football .. changing rooms outside of enclosure on far side .. pitch uneven due to past dipped drainage works .. floodlights available but not for football.

Visitors came in top of league, with a perfect start to the season .. and left still perfect .. although they made hard work of their six goals strangely .. relaxing from time to time to let the hosts gain confidence and score but the better play prevailed and Brading went in 4-2 up at the half and finished the game going on to the back foot. Enjoyable game to watch and all connections made to arrive back on the mainland just after nine .. indoors 15 mins later .. Mrs hh asking .. "and where did you go tonight" .. Wink

Grounds = 621, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 79; New Grounds (19/20) = 65; Goals (19/20) = 351; Ave goals/game = 4.44; Last new ground = Barton Rovers; Next = Tues 22nd Oct 2019

Tim

Sep 9, 2019, 5:02 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #22 of 22 (334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Wednesday 4 September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Roche 2 St Teath 1 (East Cornwall Premier League) Att: 20 f&n

As described above - not the greatest game ever but the sides were well matched, which held the interest throughout, and the second half was an improvement on the first. Raffle £1, and one of those that we will never know who won...

The ground is a belter, and what better way to enjoy it than in the splendid company of The Moose. A trip to the north Dorset badlands is in the planning stage...

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3