Saturday 24th August 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

richiejenn
First Team Star

Aug 26, 2019, 10:43 AM

Team(s):

Post #51 of 63 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 24th August 2019 @3pm
FA Cup Preliminary Round
WHITSTABLE TOWN 3-1 NEWHAVEN
Belmont Ground

Admission: £10
Programme:£2
Attendance: 219

Bacon Roll: £2.50
Diet Coke: £1

A young Newhaven squad found the more physical home side too strong but had a shot cleared off the line and a good penalty shout in the first half. However the Oystermen took the lead on 18 minutes and rattled off 2 more early in the second half before a spirited comeback resulted in a consolation goal.

The ground looks the same from my last visit a couple of years ago although the programme notes from the new Board says there are plans to spruce up the facilities.

A decent lunch with chips on the seafront from Ossies fish bar and cricket in full flow next door to the ground in the warm sunshine The town has many pubs, cafes and independent shops including a record shop and is well worth some time prematch.

coops
First Team Sub

Aug 26, 2019, 6:18 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #52 of 63 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Preliminary Round

Belper Town 1-1 Sporting Khalsa

Att:191

Very nearly a cup upset here. Khalsa took an early lead and despite Belper dominating possession thereafter a combination of poor finishing and some excellent saves by the Khals keep meant it took until the last few minutes for them to get the equaliser. Belper then should have won it when they were awarded a penalty only for the Khalsa keeper to deny them yet again. Decent enough game in very warm temperatures.

Belper's ground has been on here a few times, it's smart, got plenty of character with the mill and church in the background and a very nice sandstone wall down one side (if you like sandstone walls!). It also fulfills my remit of visiting as many grounds near to railway stations as possible.
Some decent pubs in town, Arkwright's, The Railway and The Rifleman were the best of those I visited.

Krooner
Junior Team Regular

Aug 27, 2019, 11:27 AM

Team(s): Camberley Town

Post #53 of 63 (1353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wyvern Combination West

Bemerton Heath Harlequins 4 v 1 Colden Common

Never been to Bemerton before and was shocked to find it about 5 minutes from a place I stay with work ! Lovely ground and loved the trees surronding it.

On a very hot day Bemerton raced into a 3 goal lead all scored by their 10 who reacted like he was trying to prove a point to the manager. Colden got one back by half time and the home side were lucky not to lose a player from the free kick conceded that led to the goal.

Both keepers made a couple of good saves before a penalty for the home side was saved but the rebound was followed up to finish the scoring. Considering the temperature it was no surprise the last 25 minutes faded badly.

Enjoyed my visit to a new ground with an excellent clubhouse.

Southend_Loyal
Junior Team Regular

Aug 27, 2019, 5:38 PM

Post #54 of 63 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We were going to travel a bit further for a single game by going to the Melton Town v Cleethorpes Town FA Cup match but the late announcement of the red button game was ideal. Although we dislike seeing cup games with clubs from same leagues the lure of a double was too good to miss.

We arrived a few mins before ko not helped by a crash on the A14 which held us up a bit which saw my dad drive today. Parked in the car park behind the training pitch with a walk to the entrance.

The Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round
Heather St John’s 1 (53)
Worcester City 0
KO: 12:30 Att: 249 as per NLM FA Cup details Cost: £6 Progs available

Venue: St John’s Park, Ravenstone Road, Heather
We liked this tidy little ground. 4 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed with a small bit of concrete at the bottom to keep rolling balls pitchside. H/s path around pitch & tall conifers around the ground with grass areas in front. One side has covered stand straddling half-way line with 4 rows of blue seats. This was practically out of bounds due to the camera gantry directly in front. Behind is the training pitch. Other side has in most of one half a covered stand with 2 rows of blue seats. Either side of the dugouts are tiny areas of cover for officials with a row of blue seats. On top of the dugout is a nice looking wooden press box. Behind is the clubhouse with a patio on the other side.

Weather: When the sun came out from behind the clouds after a few minutes into the game it soon got hot & sunny, lovely.

Match: Both in Midland League Premier Division. 1st (unbeaten in all 4 league games) v 14th out of 20.
WC shot just wide when the gk pushed out a long throw after 19 mins. HSJ had a free header which was poor as it drifted wide. A couple of mins later WC had a chance which was also wasted wide. Shots 6-5.

The clubhouse tv unsurprisingly had the red button BBC game on at h/t which broadcast tweets when I saw it. H/t lasted under 15 mins.

WC had a free kick & the header went just wide. A good run & a good finish saw the 1st shot on target on 53 mins for the opening goal. HSJ had shot saved on 62 mins & a minute later WC shot just wide. Despite over 5 mins injury time WC couldn’t get the equaliser. Shots 5-5.

Tight game which HSJ just about deserved to win but shooting wasn’t very good with shots on target 2-0.

By the time we got back to the car it was 14:28 but thankfully our next match was only just over a mile away. A slow drive out of the bumpy car park saw us arrive at our next game.

Midland League Division 1
Hinckley 3 (9, 44 & 80, miss pen 63)
Ashby Ivanhoe 0
KO: 15:00 ATT: 164 as per HIN website, my h/c was 151. Cost: £6 Progs available

Venue: The Welfare Ground, Leicester Road, Ibstock
3 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed with h/s around pitch. One side has just the path in front of a concrete wall. Behind are trees & you can also see roofs of houses. Behind one goal is slight grass banking in front of a concrete wall. Other goal has grass going slightly downhill with an area quite wide. Behind metal railings are gently sloping countryside hills. Near side is elevated a couple of steps with lorry container in corner which is home to bar & club shop. An area has 2 broad steps of terracing behind a low brick wall & at the back is a covered area. Near dugouts a path is elevated a bit more in front of the changing room brick building. Also in front of building is a tiny covered stand with 3 rows of black benches. Grass areas in each corner.

Weather: Lovely, hot & sunny.

Match: 12 pts 5 games against unbeaten in 3 games.
Lively opening 16mins with end to end play which saw HIN score with a nice well placed low curling shot which we thought was going wide. A minute later ASH shot just wide & then HIN were denied by the gk. HIN got on top playing some good football. A shot flashed across the goalmouth on 35mins before they scored again thanks to a mix up with gk who dropped the ball after colliding with a defender. Shots 7-4.

Didn’t go in the bar & didn’t look like there was a tv in it. H/t lasted under 14mins.

HIN shot just wide on 51mins & were then awarded a penalty. A poor penalty was saved. (I’ve seen 1 scored out of 4 this season) A minute later ASH free kick was well struck & the gk pushed onto the bar & over. HIN shot just wide on 76mins & not long after a chance went over. HIN deservedly got a 3rd goal from a corner which was headed in. Shots 8-2. A comprehensive win for HIN with plenty of applause from supporters & players at the end.

We weren’t delayed for too long after the game despite being blocked in by a careless bit of parking. Another chap had been delayed for longer got a mouthful of abuse after quite rightfully asking why the *&[email protected] had blocked him in. Just for the record he was in a white van with a Shepshed Dynamo minikit in the passenger window.

Comfortable journey home & flicking through the radio channels at 17:30 managed to listen to the end of the King’s Lynn (v) Curzon Ashton game which apparently started at approx. 15:52.

I too went to Heather, but gsambled on making it to Gresley v Sutton Coldfield Town for my second fix of the day. Made it with 10 minutes to spare. Quirky little ground

pilgrim46
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 28, 2019, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall

Post #55 of 63 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krooner] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Preliminary Round
Plymouth Parkway 5-2 Paulton Rovers (2-2 H/T)
Att 184 - Admission £7 - Pint of Fosters £3 - Jumbo Hot Dog £3.50

Parkway progressed to the first qualifying round thanks to a great comeback & terrific second half performance. Paulton controlled the first half & were deservedly 2 up after 36 minutes. As we approached half time it didn't look good for the home side who were struggling to deal with their higher ranked opponents. Suddenly out of nowhere Parkway got a goal back on 45 minutes & then scored the equaliser 30 seconds later. You could see the Paulton players were gutted & that's when the game changed. Parkway absolutely dominated the second half & I can't remember seeing them play better. They were all over the visitors & although they scored 3 in the second half it could have been 5 or 6. A big cheer came up at the full time whistle & the players were deservedly applauded off.
From the city centre this ground is easy to do by public transport so that's what I did. The Citybus 62 takes between 20-25 minutes & stops outside the car park to the ground. As you enter the newly tarmacced car park you go to your right for Bolitho Park (left is the entrance to the Manadon Sports Centre which is the home of the Argyle Community Development who play in the Devon Step 7 League). There have been several improvements to the ground since my last visit. The new clubhouse is finished & it's a nice building (although disappointingly there were no Ales on tap as there was at Exmouth Town). Also the toilet block on the left hand side as you enter is complete & there are now seats where the covered standing used to be behind the dugouts. An excellent day in the sunshine & although Argyle beat Walsall down the road at Home Park I'm glad I came here instead.

LLD
Reserve Team Star

Aug 28, 2019, 2:00 PM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #56 of 63 (972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pilgrim46] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NOT NON LEAGUE

Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership
Ross County 1-4 Livingston
at Victoria Park, Dingwall
Attendance - 4237 (fiction)
Admission £25, no programme, food available

My first Livingston away trip for ages given that I've chosen to take in more random matches in recent times.
This was the Lions' first visit to Victoria Park for about seven years and I was tempted along by the prospect of a trip on the supporters bus, therefore no driving, and a few beers in Inverness pre-match.
Following a comfortable opening day win over Hamilton, pundits have been stridently suggesting that County will survive in the Premiership this season with a bit to spare. That could end up being the case, but it's far from a foregone conclusion on the evidence of this.
Livi raced into a three goal lead within 26 minutes to more or less assure themselves of a win, all three were poor goals from a defensive perspective, not that I was grumbling.
County gave themselves a lifeline just before half time by pulling a goal back, but an absolutely stunning volley after the break from on-loan Sheffield Wednesday striker Jack Stobbs restored the Livi three goal advantage.
This was Livi's first away win in the League for 364 days, and their biggest away win in the top level of Scottish football since 2002.
Victoria Park has changed a lot since I first visited in 1991 with Meadowbank for an ten times postponed Scottish Cup tie. Only the Jail End is recognisable from back then, and even it has been seated.
It's a nice little stadium, arguably slightly too big for the crowds that County are getting these days. They are one of several Scottish clubs who massage their figures upwards. I'd guess there were no more than 2,500 physically present people for this game despite what the official attendance figure says.
A highlight of the trip were the pies - 'haggis, neeps and tatties' and the venison 'Staggie Pie' were both devoured in short order.
County stopped issuing proper programmes a few seasons back; instead they issue a teamsheet which includes managers' and chairman's comments. Could be argued these elevate it to 'single sheet' programme status.

For all your Scottish football fixture needs: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 28, 2019, 11:53 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #57 of 63 (857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LLD] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NI Championsip (level 2)
Knockbreda 0-1 Ards

Knockbreda play in the hills on the south side of Belfast. There's some nice views as you approach plus a rural feel around. You can walk all the way around the pitch but it looks like they may close off behind the far goal at times. The far side is just standing and the same applies near goal, except for a section of cover elevated above the rest. The rest is all on the near side - a decent size stand in the middle. I cannot imagine this is graded for any higher.

The clubhouse is by the entrance and is nice and modern.

The game was awful - 2 shots on target, the home side having a shiot saved 10 minutes or so from the end and the visitors registering the only goal with an injury time sweet free kick.

Pre-game visit to the Errigle Inn, which has to be up there for top cask ale pub in Northern Ireland - the local Whitewater, Lacada and McCrackens joined on cask by Whistable Bay. A good selection of craft too, several local. No cask today over the road at Northern Lights, but they do have it depending on who Galway Bay have exchanged beer with the previous week. Plenty of other crafts on draught, but less local influence. Walked to the ground from there, via a very nice chippy up the Ormeau Road.

Worth noting for anyone using public transport is the Rambler ticket applying in school holidays for pretty much all bus travel in Northern Ireland.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (956) Wellington 0-2 Exmouth Town
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
15/10 FC United v Basford United
16/10 Ashland Rovers v Underwood Villa
19/10 Atherton Collieries v FC United

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 29, 2019, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #58 of 63 (762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another at the first and last Hop games but in the afternoon, accompanied by Peter Miles, I went to:-

Goytre 1 Garden Village 1 aet 8-7 on pens
Welsh League Cup Adm £5 Prog £1 Att 31

The ground is in a beautiful setting, found by taking winding single track roads, and surrounded by trees and hills. It is fully railed with seated stands on both sides and a sizeable clubhouse but alas the kitchen wasn't open today. Peanuts were in fact the dish of the day. All in all, an excellent place to watch football, well, at least until the game started.......

Actually the first twenty minutes or so weren't too bad but things got gradually shoddier. Being charitable, I'll blame the poor football on the hot weather,but the lack of control shown by the aged referee didn't help the mood either, and neither did the incessant whinging from the Garden Village officials - not the players or managers but the old boys with club ties on! A missed penalty by the visitors early on had set the tone and unsurprisingly no one had found the net after 90 minutes. Goytre, against the run of play, took the lead on 105 minutes but an equaliser came at the death, courtesy of.......the visiting keeper who had gone up for a corner. So to penalties and after an afternoon of shocking finishing it seemed ironic that the penalty conversion rate was so high!

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Aug 29, 2019, 10:47 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #59 of 63 (673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Wulfrunians 0-1 Leek Town (0-1 HT) at Castlecroft
FA Cup Preliminary Round
Admission: £4 (student), Programme: £2, Can of diet coke: £1, Chip butty: £2
Attendance: 114

Didn't really fancy driving far so went on the train to Wolverhampton from Whitchurch and walked the 45 minutes or so to the ground, probably not a great idea on such a warm day but it's exercise. Was hoping for an upset here but, despite not getting anything out of the game, the hosts deserved at least a replay based off of their second half performance and were in it until the end. Leek's goal came through an Aaron Bott penalty on the 36th minute. Castlecroft is part of a sports complex just inside Staffordshire, although the ground is seperate from the cricket and rugby union that also occupy the site. 500 seater Nantwich style stand on the entrance side with a bar at the top, hard standing elsewhere. Catering provided by a chuck wagon (maybe club owned, the servers were in Wulfrunians shirts), usual hot and cold fayre at decent prices.

Grounds visited: 298
Last new ground: Welfare Ground (Brandon United)
Next planned fixture: S Shields v Atherton Colls - NPL Premier - 5/10/19

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 31, 2019, 12:45 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #60 of 63 (577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ipeland] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Vanarama National

Huish Park

Yeovil Town 1-2 Maidenhead Utd

Adm: £16 - from ticket office no cash at turnstiles

Att: 2179 - incl. plenty of raucous 'Magpies' possibly touching three figures - keeping up a steady barrage of songs and chanting throughout - their club may be punching well above their weight but their fans are doing all they can do to support this, which is good to see/hear. Cool

By stark contrast Yeovil are in a very sorry state – not much vocal support coming from their long-suffering faithful either.

Directions : - followed SatNav down from Bridgwater jn23 of M5 - then A39 to Street - briefly pondered a re-visit there, as we were still 'behind the clock' - then down B3151 to A37 nr Ilchester. Stadium is in the Lufton area of Yeovil at the far western end.
- we'd given up on the Cup game : Tavistock v Frome as it became ever clearer we would not arrive much before HT even though we set out with almost an hour in hand.
- M'way traffic had been appalling from nr Bath westbound on the M4 - only to be expected on BH w/e I s'pose. Unsure

Ended up here as a quick Plan B was required and this was the nearest 'new tick' for both of us en route (sort of).

Facilities:
- Decent stadium - plenty of parking for away fans as you’d expect now down at this level –
- Rewarded by a decent performance on the pitch too – United are flourishing so far this season on merit.
- Minor crimp: no bar for visiting fans and precious little fare available under the stand in the small Tea Bar – had a very decent curried veggie pastie (not out of choice)
- Popped into the club shop in front of the main stand after, to pick up match-day programme and badge.

Match:
0-1 Led early 2nd half – deflected free-kick taken by Smile
Visitors then had a pen saved and hosts almost immediately had goal disallowed for pushing.

0-2 'Magpies' stretched their lead to 2 on 85’ , thanks to a forceful run through midfield and a composed low finish from distance by sub Whitehall. The rapturous visiting support was not dimmed in the slightest by what proved to be a mere consolation for the hosts a minute later.

1-2 left winger sent clear, curled the ball round keeper inside the far post

- ‘Glovers’ still have ex -Royals academy player Lawson D’Ath in their ranks – didn’t do much but then neither did those around him.

Pitstop on way home along A303 and up A345 in the Dog & Gun @ Netheravon - locally brewed Stonehenge Ale.

Home by about 19:45

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Sep 3, 2019, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #61 of 63 (470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spartan South Midlands League Division One Shefford Town and Campton 0 Bedford 4 Admission £2.50 (concession) with a fairly basic programme free. Attendance 103
The ground is on the outskirts of Shefford and is properly titled Shefford Sports Club when googling to find the address. Clearly a lot of work has been done here in what looks like a new facility. An excellent air-conditioned clubhouse, financed by the Football Foundation is in place behind the goal at the entrance end which is reached via a few hundred yards long drive from the gate. There are three floodlight pylons either side of the pitch with the dugouts on the far side and Atcost style covered standing on the opposite side but no seating in place at present. Hard standing surrounds the pitch on all four sides with a sizeable grass bank on the far side making for an ideal vantage point. This bank also runs behind the far goal.Shefford were forced to change to their second kit as Bedford had obviously turned up with their black and white striped shirts which must have been deemed as too similar to Shefford's blue and white striped shirts by the referee who was certainly at the centre of attention, sending off one man from each side as well as dishing out four yellow cards in a game where there was no needle or fractious behaviour to speak of. Shefford couldn't put a foot right and despite having a 100% record before the game were outclassed by the visitors. Best of a somewhat average group of GBG visits was the Albion in nearby Ampthill which I would heartily recommend.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2019, 8:05 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #62 of 63 (371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Clanfield 4 v 2 Chamberlayne Athletic Hampshire Prem League No Adm or Prog Att peaked at 15 Played at East Meon Rec
Went along with Henfield Bee to see Clanfield play on an unusual venue. Not a lot here, no cover but one side has nice big fence to lean on. Village has 2 pubs and a shop.
Only 5 people here at the start as we started at 2.58, by 2.59 the visitors were ahead. The home team got back into the game and lead 3-1 at half time, though both teams missed other chances so could easily have been 5-3 at half time. Second half, saw the home team dominate but missed a number of chances thanks to some poor finishing and the visitors making a number of saves when 1 on 1. Both sides did manage to score once in the second half.

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Sep 9, 2019, 7:26 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #63 of 63 (277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wessex League Division 1

Beatrice Avenue, Cowes

East Cowes Victoria Athletic 3(1) Downton 6(4)

Red & White Striped Shirts / Black Shorts Yellow Shirts / Black Shorts

Attendance 56

Admission £5 Programme £1 No Badges

Hot Dog £2.80

Consecutive Saturdays heading overseas for my footie fix. Train to Southampton Central, walked to the Red Jet Terminal, Red Jet catamaran to East Cowes, walked to floating bridge across the River Medina and then, spotting two of the afternoon's officials getting picked up at the bridge, I blagged a lift up the hill with them. Beatrice Avenue ticks all the boxes. Car park, pitch fully railed, two stands one seated the other standing, floodlights and clubhouse serving food and hot & cold drinks. The game proved to be highly entertaining. 1st minute a Ryan Gregory header 1-0. 17th minute Robbie Owen LF shot from edge of box 1-1. 24th minute Greg Noreen took advantage of a defensive mix up 1-2. 38th minute Theo Walfarth ran onto through ball and lobbed keeper 1-3. 42nd minute Robbie Oen free in acres of space in the box 1-4. 48th minute Robbie Owen completes hattrick with close range effort 1-5. 65th minute Joe Butcher shot from edge of box into bottom corner 2-5. 78th minute Alec Prezespoleski shot from almost the halfway line (!) 3-5. 90+4 Sub Andre Sousa broke down the L beat defender in box and fired in 3-6. Phew! Blagged another lift with home supporters to floating bridge but had to wait 5 mins as it was on the other shore. Got to Red Jet Terminal just as the 17:15 cat was casting off. Mad

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3