Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 22, 2019, 4:15 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #26 of 61 (2055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

PUFC can call themselves what they like. They're at a level where it's about the players, not captive sponsorship markets.

Yes, they can call themselves what they like. But they are moving up the pyramid and only the other week had a home game in the FA Cup televised by the BBC.
In my view, they are no longer at a "level where it's about the players" as you put it.

I am sure that with a few more promotions, they will eventually change their name.

Mishi

Aug 22, 2019, 4:59 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #27 of 61 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've NEVER heard Bromley referred to as as 'West Brom' and it's certainly not a name used by their fans...

Grounds visited: 744
Last new ground:Sutton Athleticl FC; London Hire Stadium, Hextable, Kent. (Southern Counties East Football League First Division)
Last game: Wednesday 11th September 2019: FC Elmstead 4, Lewisham Borough 1. [Southern Counties East Football League First Division]
Matches watched this season: 37
2017/18-New English grounds: 6; & foreign: 0

Mishi

Aug 22, 2019, 5:01 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #28 of 61 (2008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The biggest problem with Boreham Wood is that they are generally preceived as an unwelcoming & expensive club, and that wouldn't really encourage first time visitors to go back there..

Grounds visited: 744
Last new ground:Sutton Athleticl FC; London Hire Stadium, Hextable, Kent. (Southern Counties East Football League First Division)
Last game: Wednesday 11th September 2019: FC Elmstead 4, Lewisham Borough 1. [Southern Counties East Football League First Division]
Matches watched this season: 37
2017/18-New English grounds: 6; & foreign: 0

ladderman

Aug 22, 2019, 5:10 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #29 of 61 (1995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do you believe Gravesend United would have got on the BBC?

And as for a random woman believing West Brom were from south London ,perhaps clubs should include the postcode in their name in the hope that - one day- she'll attend a game

Wijit99
Junior Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 5:53 PM

Post #30 of 61 (1946 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
We don't want to see more Hampton & Richmonds do we?

Why not? H&RB have certainly done alright since the name change.

Anyway, if there was to be a name change (and I've not seen it mooted anywhere else) you and I wouldn't be the target audience. It would be locals and just as importantly local businesses across the wider area who would be targeted as "their local club" performing at a historically high level. Not some groundhoppers (although I know some would go back to tick off the name changed club!)

I'm sure that had Hampton & Richmond Borough not changed their name from plain Hampton FC, they would still be at the same level as they are now. 'Hampton FC' is enough to attract sponsors because that is where the club play (the ground is only five minutes walk from Hampton station) and people will associate the name with nearby tourist attraction Hampton Court. As it is, having a much longer name creates potential confusion because some people may think that the ground might be in Richmond-upon-Thames, where there are already a lot of large sports grounds. And the press won't like it because they have to try and fit a much longer name into their computers or printed media.

The ideal situation for me is for all clubs, with the exception of a few well-known ones like Arsenal, to have relatively short names that tell you where they play. For example, I would like to see Punjab United change their name to Gravesend United as this would signal a much more inclusive attitude and also be more attractive to local sponsors.

Extremely poor choice of example, considering there is no such place as Arsenal!!!

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 6:31 PM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting

Post #31 of 61 (1900 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

PUFC can call themselves what they like. They're at a level where it's about the players, not captive sponsorship markets.

Yes, they can call themselves what they like. But they are moving up the pyramid and only the other week had a home game in the FA Cup televised by the BBC.
In my view, they are no longer at a "level where it's about the players" as you put it.

I am sure that with a few more promotions, they will eventually change their name.

I don’t see why being higher up the pyramid would mean it would be more likely that they’d give up their identity.

Chris1963

Aug 22, 2019, 8:40 PM

Post #32 of 61 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Yes. Why not? The BBC have been selecting one game in each round, and they normally base their decision on how attractive the fixture is, not because they like the name of the home club.

Chris1963

Aug 22, 2019, 8:44 PM

Post #33 of 61 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cris] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

I don’t see why being higher up the pyramid would mean it would be more likely that they’d give up their identity.

On the contrary, there are plenty of examples, starting with the club I support, Oxford United (who used to be called Headington United) and Cambridge United (Abbey United)

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 8:55 PM

Post #34 of 61 (1780 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

On the contrary, there are plenty of examples, starting with the club I support, Oxford United (who used to be called Headington United) and Cambridge United (Abbey United)

And there are hundreds of examples of teams not doing so. A team changing their name as they move up the pyramid is the exception, not the rule.

Chris1963

Aug 22, 2019, 9:00 PM

Post #35 of 61 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cris] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

And there are hundreds of examples of teams not doing so. A team changing their name as they move up the pyramid is the exception, not the rule.

The hundreds of clubs who didn't change their names already had names that reflected where they are based. For example, Salford City have always played in Salford since their NWCFL days, so there was no need for them to change their name on their journey to the FL.

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 9:05 PM

Post #36 of 61 (1766 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

The hundreds of clubs who didn't change their names already had names that reflected where they are based. For example, Salford City have always played in Salford since their NWCFL days, so there was no need for them to change their name on their journey to the FL.

But we aren’t talking about a team who’s primary identity is connected to the place they play, they don’t conform to the tradition model of a football club, so why would they conform to the traditional naming model?

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 9:09 PM

Post #37 of 61 (1762 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes. Why not? The BBC have been selecting one game in each round, and they normally base their decision on how attractive the fixture is, not because they like the name of the home club.

I believe there was a BBC documentary about them so assume their selection was connected to that.

Chris1963

Aug 22, 2019, 9:27 PM

Post #38 of 61 (1729 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

But we aren’t talking about a team who’s primary identity is connected to the place they play, they don’t conform to the tradition model of a football club, so why would they conform to the traditional naming model?

I'm not going to waste any more of my time arguing with you.

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 9:34 PM

Post #39 of 61 (1715 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
]

I'm not going to waste any more of my time arguing with you.

Understandable, after all I asked you a totally unreasonable question....

It strikes me you really don’t understand the reasons why clubs like Punjab United exist, if you did you’d understand why they are called what they are and why they’re unlikely to change it.

(This post was edited by Cris on Aug 22, 2019, 9:43 PM)

Chris1963

Aug 22, 2019, 9:50 PM

Post #40 of 61 (1695 views)
Shortcut

I know why Punjab United were set up in the first place and why they have that name. All I am saying is that if they move up the pyramid, they might change their name. And of course, they might not. Isn't that a perfectly reasonable view?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 22, 2019, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #41 of 61 (1661 views)
Shortcut

Yes it is. But it's irrelevant to Boreham Wood's situation.

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 10:15 PM

Post #42 of 61 (1644 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I know why Punjab United were set up in the first place and why they have that name. All I am saying is that if they move up the pyramid, they might change their name. And of course, they might not. Isn't that a perfectly reasonable view?

That isn’t actually your view though, as you’ve already expressed on this thread (below). You think all teams should only be allowed to have a name relating to where they play. Specifically you want Punjab United to change their name, because you don’t think it’s inclusive. The irony of course being that were traditional clubs more inclusive then teams like Punjab United probably wouldn’t exist.

Out of interest do you have any personal experience of, or evidence of Punjab United being less inclusive than other clubs?

The sponsorship argument doesn’t really make much sense to me, the population of Gravesend is 74,000, whilst there are 700,000 British Punjabis

The ideal situation for me is for all clubs, with the exception of a few well-known ones like Arsenal, to have relatively short names that tell you where they play. For example, I would like to see Punjab United change their name to Gravesend United as this would signal a much more inclusive attitude and also be more attractive to local sponsors.

ladderman

Aug 22, 2019, 10:44 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #43 of 61 (1610 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I believe there was a BBC documentary about them so assume their selection was connected to that.

Do you think there would have been a BBC documentary if they'd been called Gravesend United?

Cris
Youth Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 11:25 PM

Post #44 of 61 (1565 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Do you think there would have been a BBC documentary if they'd been called Gravesend United?

The documentary was part a series called Our Lives which focuses on diversity in society. In the case of this episode it focused on a Sikh guy who set up and managed a football team and the reasons why. It was as much about the man as the club so maybe the name was not instrumental, I guess the point is that it’s interesting because of how different communities are approaching football and part of that is how clubs are named. Someone setting up a club called Gravesend United would probably not be as interesting a story, even if they were Sikh.

buncranaboy

Aug 22, 2019, 11:34 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #45 of 61 (1556 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure that had Hampton & Richmond Borough not changed their name from plain Hampton FC, they would still be at the same level as they are now.

What level are you talking about? After the name change they won promotion to Conference South where they still remain . They'll argue that the name change has been very fruitful as they've never been higher in the football pyramid nor attracted more spectators to the ground.

Chris1963

Aug 22, 2019, 11:56 PM

Post #46 of 61 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I'm sure that had Hampton & Richmond Borough not changed their name from plain Hampton FC, they would still be at the same level as they are now.

What level are you talking about? After the name change they won promotion to Conference South where they still remain . They'll argue that the name change has been very fruitful as they've never been higher in the football pyramid nor attracted more spectators to the ground.

I would have thought it was obvious, but what I meant to say was that if they had remained as plain Hampton FC, they would still have got promoted to Conference South and stayed there. So in other words, no change.

007Dale
First Team Star

Aug 23, 2019, 6:37 AM

Post #47 of 61 (1395 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I would have thought it was obvious, but what I meant to say was that if they had remained as plain Hampton FC, they would still have got promoted to Conference South and stayed there. So in other words, no change.

I find it odd your against my idea of Boreham Wood changing their name from a place that doesn’t exist to two places that do (Elstree & Borehamwood FC). However, arguing vehemently that all other clubs should change there name to the place where they’re located.

Back to the purpose of this thread, if the BW chairman was reading the start of this thread, he’d see a few suggestions of how he might improve attendances in a productive manner, as opposed to just moaning about it;
- lower match day prices
- improved spectator facilities (sounds like they’ve made progress on this with the new stand)
- become more friending and welcoming
- improve ties with the local community
- change the name to drive affinity from local people

All may seem obvious, but these are things that over time may make a difference.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 23, 2019, 8:42 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #48 of 61 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The biggest problem with Boreham Wood is that they are generally perceived as an unwelcoming & expensive club, and that wouldn't really encourage first time visitors to go back there.

This rings true. Boreham Wood is an away day many fans of the club I used to support are happy to sidestep. Apparently, there was something on the Sutton forum recently about their fans boycotting games at Boreham Wood, even though, in National League terms, they are almost neighbours. I've yet to summon the enthusiasm to 'tick' Boreham Wood and see for myself.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 23, 2019, 8:43 AM)

spen666
Youth Team Star

Aug 23, 2019, 10:02 AM

Post #49 of 61 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Boreham Wood chairman throws his teddy out of the pram [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The biggest problem with Boreham Wood is that they are generally perceived as an unwelcoming & expensive club, and that wouldn't really encourage first time visitors to go back there.

This rings true. Boreham Wood is an away day many fans of the club I used to support are happy to sidestep. Apparently, there was something on the Sutton forum recently about their fans boycotting games at Boreham Wood, even though, in National League terms, they are almost neighbours. I've yet to summon the enthusiasm to 'tick' Boreham Wood and see for myself.

I would echo all of this.

The games are perceived to be expensive and the club are perceived as unfriendly

paulh66

Aug 23, 2019, 11:13 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #50 of 61 (1181 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The biggest problem with Boreham Wood is that they are generally preceived as an unwelcoming & expensive club, and that wouldn't really encourage first time visitors to go back there..

If I'm not mistaken some of that goes back to when they had crowd trouble during their FA Trophy run around 15 years ago. From around that time onwards I think the club started increasing its stewarding and introducing restrictions on who could enter the bar at the ground, and going to a regular game all began to feel a bit unwelcoming for the level they were at.

Not sure how much had changed in the intervening years but when Tranmere started playing there in 2015/16 it did feel a bit of a rip off to be stood on a few steps of uncovered terracing behind the south goal, though you could move around to a decent seat in the newish west stand for no extra cost. With the new north stand opening this summer, home fans don't have that excuse any longer!

Ironically one thing that puts me off going as a neutral, apart from an interminable ride on a Thameslink stopping train, is the low attendances they play in front off and all round lack of atmosphere at the place for the level they're at.

Hope they find a solution.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3