Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Harwich and Parkeston Formation Date

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 20, 2019, 1:20 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Harwich and Parkeston Formation Date Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having looked into this, Iím not sure itís all that clear cut.

According to the Harwich and Parkestonís website, the club was formed in 1877.

Source: https://www.harwichandparkeston.com/a/history-9207.htm

The current club website quotes a foundation 1877 - there is a Harwich FC playing in 1875 so they could go further back to that date but the problem is that I cannot find any Harwich FC matches between 1881 and 1888. At this point a new team called Harwich & Dovercourt FC is competing in the Essex County Challenge Cup.(Essex Standard - Saturday 29 December 1888) and by 1899 (1889?) there is a team called Harwich & Parkeston. From then on they continue through till present but the 7 year gap is the problem.

Source: https://www.englandsoldestfootballclubs.com/forum/threads/harwich-parkeston-fc-1875-1877-or-1888.118/ (Martin Westby)

Groundtastic list the formation date as 1875

Source: GT95

My own research

Earliest mention of Harwich football club I can find is February 1876 (Chelmsford Chronicle)
Earliest mention of Harwich and Dovercourt Football Club I can find is April 1885 (Essex Standard)
Earliest mention of Harwich and Parkeston Football Club I can find is October 1889 (Essex Standard)
From 1892 Ė 1895, a new club, Harwich and Dovercourt Rangers appear on the scene. At an AGM in 1892, there is talk of the club merging with Harwich & Parkeston.

It is possible that Harwich and Parkeston are a continuation of, or were formed to replace, Harwich and Dovercourt. Both played at Barrack Field, both had A.J.H Ward as president and both fielded similar players. The H&D line up from 1887 and H&P line up from 1889 both featured Mills, Durrant, Mason, and Pepper.

As Martin Westby points out though, the gap between circa 1880 and circa 1885 does leave a rather large hole in the continuation.

Are there any scholars of Essex football who can shed light on the above?

psammons
Ballboy/girl

Aug 21, 2019, 5:22 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Harwich and Parkeston Formation Date [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The first mention of a Harwich club affiliating to Essex FA is Harwich & Dovercourt in 1886/87 when they entered the Essex Senior Cup.

Harwich & Dovercourt last affiliated to Essex FA in 1888/89. Harwich & Parkeston first affiliated in 1889/90, which would support the idea they are the same club.

krffji
Youth Team Star

Aug 21, 2019, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #3 of 3 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Harwich and Parkeston Formation Date [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Harwich were active 1884-85. A couple of my Colchester FC match report scans have Harwich games visible alongside.

The Colchester Grammar School and the Harwich club drew 1-1 either 04/12/84 or 11/12/84 - not clear which from report. The header of Walton on the Naze v Harwich is visible below a report from late January 1885 and the header of Ipswich St Helens v Harwich & Dovercourt is visible below a match report from late March 1885.

Can't see anything similar for the seasons since Colchester last played Harwich in 1880-81 although that may just be the way they've been scanned. The opposition fits a club playing at a lower level than might be expected for an Essex Cup entrant so it maybe there was a hiatus.

The person to ask for anything to do with Harwich & P prefers pen & paper to computers and won't be on here. If I see the right person on Saturday I'll try and get a message to him.

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor since 2001.
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor since 2008.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3