Sunday 18th August 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Aug 18, 2019, 4:42 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 9 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 18th August 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Women's FA Cup @ Dimensions, Scotia Road, Burslem. (F&N). Car Park £1.20 for 3 Hours. Crowd 48.

Port Vale 9 v 0 Lye Town

Standard 4G but with a standing area at part of each end. The centre has a cafe and the usual facilities. The venue change from Chell Heath road not mentioned until very late.

Thought this might be quite close with the visitors a division higher but perhaps they had a lot of regular players still on holiday as the league season doesn't start for another 3 weeks.

The scoreline says it all. Five goals in the first half, four in the second, the last of which was an og. Vale keeper virtually redundant as the visitors failed to register a shot on target.

Good to meet DavetheGlassboy and have a chat with him.He also wrote down the goal scorers and times, so might add a report himself possibly.

Full details of the USA tour is on international hopping.

(This post was edited by Dave 56 on Aug 18, 2019, 4:46 PM)

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 18, 2019, 7:23 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #2 of 9 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Cup First Preliminary Round
Colville Park v Whitehill Welfare, 0-4, H.T. 0-3, Att c.70, Admission £5, Programme £2, Pie Stall / Bar open
At New Tinto Park (Benburb JFC)

The glamour of the Cup, not. None of Colville’s superb team from last season remain with the club. Indeed, two weeks ago it was possible they might scratch as they had no signed players. They have cobbled together a team and, to be fair, they did better than I had expected. However, admitting the Amateur Cup winners to the Scottish Cup the following season is a flawed concept when there is no continuity.

The match was originally arranged for Blantyre Vics’ Castle Park, in Colville Park’s home territory. It was washed out last week and by this midweek it was clear that Castle Park would remain unplayable this weekend. A sensible decision was made to play it on the artificial surface at Benburb, which Colville have used as their home ground several times in the past.

Whitehill have put together a reasonable team, including Bonnyrigg’s top scorer from last season who didn’t fancy the Lowland League. They will not win the East of Scotland League but they will not be out of their depth.

They accounted for Colville Park reasonably easily. The first goal was a great finish from outside the box and the third, on the stroke of half time, a calamitous own goal. The second half was poor fare with Whitehill content to keep the ball. Colville deserved a goal for their efforts but Whitehill kept a clean sheet. That fact is more remarkable as they actually played an outfield player in goals for 90 minutes as their regular keeper was a very late call-off.

Whitehill now look forward to a local derby with Penicuik. The Rookie-Cuikie will be favourites for that but I expect Whitehill will be up for it – their management and more than half the team are former Penicuik men.

It usually rains when I go to Benburb and today was no different. There is no cover. The nearest thing to shelter was achieved by standing in the back row of the uncovered seating units, with the trees above and behind offering some protection. The eating units themselves are deteriorating rapidly – they were never intended for prolonged outdoor use. The board flooring is now so springy that I expect them to be declared unsafe before long.

Colville are down to a committee of two at the moment and huge credit is die to Andy Williamson and Joe Walker for keeping the club alive.

I’d donated a match programme to them and it was on sale although it referred throughout to Blantyre Vics as the venue for the game. I didn’t have the time or energy to do an updated insert or wrap-round this week.

Benburb’s wee bar area was open selling drinks and pies. Donnie from Maryhill was in attendance and both LLD and I were intrigued to question him about the new “Breakfast Pies” that are on sale at Maryhill. A visit to Lochburn may be imminent for further investigation.

Hillonearth
Junior Team Regular

Aug 18, 2019, 8:04 PM

Post #3 of 9 (1512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Much to my shame, I've yet to try said breakfast pie. There is however photographic evidence of the offending article on our Twitter feed here:
https://twitter.com/Maryhill_FC?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 18, 2019, 8:13 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 9 (1497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hillonearth] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hillonearth does not lead directly to the picture, so try this

https://twitter.com/...795419312803841?s=20

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Aug 19, 2019, 6:32 AM

Post #5 of 9 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....A welcome Sunday outing caused by the National League fixture planners 'forgetting' that neither of the Nottingham clubs should be at home on the same date....

Notts County 1 v 1 Wrexham - National League
Prog 48 pages £3.00 - Admission £22.00 - Att 6263

....Especially taking into account the very large travelling following from North Wales of 1593, though from our vantage point for most of the game they were rather subdued.

Meadow Lane is one of those venues where there is a certain sense of bewilderment as to why they are playing at the 5th level of English football much like a trip a couple of years ago to Prenton Park. A ground that should be hosting at least two levels higher but a combination of very poor finances and a hopeless 18-19 season has meant that a sojourn at current level (and the general consensus is that unless the deep seated financial problems are addressed, then the stay at current levels could be lengthy, even of Wrexham proportions). One of the biggest cheers of the afternoon in recognition of the stoicism of the administrative and other staff who have often not been paid in recent months for their work.

A contest that never truly ignited from beginning to end and just grateful that we had a couple of goals. Wrexham were surprisingly ineffectual going forward and the hosts when they were not restricted to shots from distance spurned the closer range efforts that they created. The first half saw Notts County in the ascendancy but a well organised visiting defence was difficult to penetrate, Booty had one of the betterr opportunities with a shot from the edge of the area, which Dibble in the Wrexham goal found at a comfortable height for him to steer around the post. Soon after a tantalising low cross from Thomas, just eluded Dennis on the far post as it travelled past the far post. Plenty of possession from Wrexham but little else and a promising run from Jennings, which ended with a weak cross straight into the hands Slocombe summed up their half.

The second half was similar to the first, with neither team able to locate any meaningful space. there was more than a hint of incredulity when a Wrexham cheaply lost possession from a free kick and Booty angled a pass in the direction of Dennis whose pace took him clear of the visiting defence for what was the clearest opening of the contest thus far, the probability of Nuls was exacerbated by an awful finish from Dennis rushed shot high over the bar. Thankfully, the net bulged soon after with the hosts taking a just about deserved lead with a drifting cross from Booty which eluded Dibble and Dennis on the back post and from a none too favourable angle headed in. The lead could have been doubled but Booty's drive flew wide, though a matter of minutes later and Wrexham were level when Redmond positioned just inside the box and with minimal backlift angled a rising shot through Slocombe's hands. The final minutes saw more chances for the hosts especially when Tyson blazed over after a carefully constructed move and a feeling that if the hosts had scored then they would have just about deserved their win, however if the visitors had scored then it would have been the case of them having stolen the two additional points.

Collaborative trip with Mr Druryszki and Mrs Druryszka, the latter happily taking a plethora of Nottingham images for distribution to a Polzka audience. In view of Mr D's rather limited mobility of late, the sights of Nottingham Castle, Lace Market and a couple of the GBG entries were neglected in favour of the on station Costa's and a later trip to a very empty Waterfront JDW which was in close proximity to the station. At least the Little Critters APA was in reasonable condition for what was almost certainly the dryest trip ever partaken to Nottingham.

Utilised the Two Together Railcard for a reduced joint fare for what was a ponderously slow outward journey being 15 minutes late when there is already an excess of Sunday morning minutes built into the timetable. Better return journey and indoors at 22.10....

KnowYourMarket

Aug 19, 2019, 10:18 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #6 of 9 (872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another of the 92 chore done today, only 2 left and both of those will be done on the train.

Reading 3-0 Cardiff City

Football League Championship, admission £27, coffee and a balti pie £6.70, parking £10, att: 14254

Straight forward journey down and decided to park at the ground as opposed to yomping from god knows where. I am not sure charging people £10 to park encourages the casual supporter...

Ground is as you expect a modern bowl, good view and plenty of room. I was impressed by Reading who regularly broke with pace and should have won more comfortably. Cardiff were gash and never looked like scoring really.

Getting out of this place is a nightmare, clogged up roads and then when I did get going it was OK until getting around the Birmingham conurbation was hard work. 3hr30 to get home, I won't be rushing to tick more grounds on a Sunday!

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Aug 19, 2019, 10:20 AM)

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Aug 19, 2019, 1:07 PM

Post #7 of 9 (661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 18th August 2019
First Division B
Union Saint Gilloise 3 Lokeren 1
Admission 10 euros
No programme / badge.
Beer 2 euros
Burger 5 euros .

I have a soft spot for Lokeren as they were Opponents of Hull City in our only ever Europa League campaign.
However I stood with the home fans and met an English fan who watches Saint Gilloise regularly .

About 20 minutes by tram from Bruxelles Midi.
An

A nice big crowd and a well fought match fairly even until Saint Gilloise took the lead and then increased it. The game fizzled out until a late home goal followed by a consolation for the visitors. An enjoyable afternoon was impressed by Saint Gilloise on and off the field

More on International Hopping

New Grounds 2019/20 :14
Total Games :19
Total Goals : 61
Av Goals Per Game : 2.95
Last new Ground: 17/09/19 Barking FC 3 Waltham Abbey 4
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1007 Liskeard

royals26

Aug 22, 2019, 2:31 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #8 of 9 (213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Sunday 18th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Another of the 92 chore done today, only 2 left and both of those will be done on the train.

Reading 3-0 Cardiff City

Football League Championship, att: 14254

Getting out of this place is a nightmare (tell me about it - though of course I walk a lot of the way to the MadStad, as I know it takes forever to escape post-match. I have suffer this every Saturday - and of course each working day - and tbh most evenings should I be attempting a NL game Unsure)

+1 natch - though the mid-day KO was a bit of a 'start' - fortunately most of the 'royals' clan have departed for the Channel Isles for a week or more - so I didn't have any 'domestics' to shrug off. !

- our 'famous names' seem to be 'gelling' as the cliché goes - Puscas (with a 'c') was certainly an eye-opener - for the home fans too.
- we've not had a bustling strong pacy powerhouse up front, since the early days of a certain Mr Dixon. Hope he gets fitter and stays that way - people within (and without) the club are raising eyebrows as to how we managed to get him away from Inter Milan. Looks to be building a potentially forceful duo up top with Joao.

Using Morrison as a third CB also seemed to totally flummox 'Colin', the poor ol' Dinosaur on the opposition bench. He made a panicky double change at H/T to no avail - with calmer finishing we could easily have had a couple more.

Where there was gloom and despondency before this season - not eased by our opening pair of fixtures - there is now the merest chink (no un-PC pun intended there) of optimism, that we might not necessarily be amongst the strugglers, for a third season running. Does help acquiring 10 new players in the 'Window'.
Not sure we've managed to shift out as many of the 'old guard' as we wanted to but the (Chinese) owners are certainly backing us with hard funds - might need to be cautious around the FFP's though? Angelic
We even turned down an £8m bid from the 'Dingles' for our young academy prospect Loader.

Some wag pointed out it might have been the first time in history, that someone publicly expressed disappointment at NOT being allowed to go to Wolverhampton!! SlySlySly

Very, very early days but the squad has some positive elements about it and Jose is bringing in an attractive style.

More importantly, we managed to show far more steel than I think Mr Warnock was expecting ...... and his often niggly bullying tactics, which may work on some sides this term, floundered badly and on this evidence he had no effective Plan B. In fact other than outrageously long throws - they didn't possess much to cause any real concerns to our back-line.

LLD
Reserve Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 12:11 AM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #9 of 9 (126 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Scottish Cup First Preliminary Round
Colville Park v Whitehill Welfare, 0-4, H.T. 0-3, Att c.70, Admission £5, Programme £2, Pie Stall / Bar open
At New Tinto Park (Benburb JFC)

Also at this one as prorege has indicated.
An altogether dismal affair, with a relatively one sided game failing to compensate for the rotten weather.
I enjoy watching the Amateur Cup winners (and junior representatives) in the 'big' Scottish Cup, and would like to see further expansion, but the transient nature of amateur football will occasionally throw up the scenario where successful teams disappear at the drop of a hat, which has happened in Colville Park's case. Had they had last season's team then I think this would have been quite an interesting tie.
Whitehill were probably slightly better than I expected, but they'll do well to finish mid table in the East of Scotland Premier this season.

For all your Scottish football fixture needs: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3