Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #1 of 47 (4181 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 6th August 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League

Infinity 2 Hayling U. 0

admission/programme none attendance est 30
last season's 2nd v 11th
Comfortable win in the end for Infinity, but the visitors resisted stoutly, and the home team struggled to find their rhythm for long periods.
The first 20 mins were by far the most eventful - the visitors had a shot wide in only the second minute, immediately followed by an Infinity break where Phillips ran clear only to be denied by the good Hayling keeper, C.Clark. Boud put another shot over before the home team took the lead after 6 mins - a cross from the left led to a scramble, a save, and Fear bundled the ball over the line. Hayling came back with a shout for a penalty, then home keeper Boyle made a good double save. C.Clark then saved from Cutter, and on the break Hayling's Neal put in a long cross/shot which came back off the far post. Phillips was again denied by C.Clark, as was Powell. The game then became a bit bogged down in midfield, with few chances for 20 mins. Near the break Powell came up with a great dipping volley, superbly tipped onto the bar by C.Clark. From the corner White was clear in front of goal, but missed his kick. HT 1-0.
After the break Infinity had the better of things but didn't create too many chances. Phillips ran through again only to be blocked by C.Clark, who then ran out a long way to meet Watts on the right - his shot beat the keeper but found the side netting. On 56 mins Phillips ran down the right and crossed and Hayling's captain lunged at the ball to try and clear, only to send the ball past his own keeper for Infinity's second. Hayling then missed their one good chance of the half, a header over from a good cross by Neal, and then their chances evaporated as Hughes(?) received his second yellow card, both to my eyes for two relatively innocuous fouls. Again we had an uneventful 20 mins as Infinity couldn't get going; they did near the end as sub Whiteley's shot went across goal and just wide, and Fear headed a corner wide when hardly marked. Boyle had a shot to save at the other end right on time but the game was well over by then.
No changes at Knowle since my last visit - clubhouse and changing rooms to the left of the car-park. Watched the match with SpitfireDave again.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Aug 6, 2019, 9:36 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Aug 6, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 47 (4120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Lancs Division 2. KO18:45. (F&N). Crowd 61

Chipping 3 v 2 Mill Hill St.Peters

A great setting to watch football in and tonight there was good entertainment to go with it. The pitch is the lower one, nearest to the clubhouse and is roped off on both sides. The grass bank on the far side provides excellent viewing, both of the pitch and the surrounding scenery.
Both sides had lost their opening game on Saturday and with three first half goals, it looked as if Chipping might run away with it. After the break an early goal gave the visitors renewed hope but the second came almost on full time, yet they were awarded a penalty in stoppage time but the club linesman flagged for offside in the build up and so the referee reversed his decision much to the dismay of the away team.

Good to see NoProgs tonight for the first time in quite a while. Another trouble free journey back down the M6.

Full details of the USA tour is on international hopping.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Aug 6, 2019, 10:26 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #3 of 47 (4117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whitton United 1 FC Clacton 4
Eastern Counties, Premier Division
King George VI

Admission: £6
Programme: £1
Attendance: 71 h/c

My closest step 5 ground, but first time back for ages. Not much has changed at the King George since my last visit, seated stand behind one goal, only 3 sides of ground can be used, shelter for those standing on both sides of the pitch plus a good sized clubhouse. .

Football wise, game started at break neck speed with Whitton on top and they went ahead after 27 minutes but this seemed to wake Clacton up who equalised just before the break and then got a second in the very long stoppage time.
Plenty of stoppage time as the Ref spent most of the half blowing for any sort of challenge and seemed to not want to use the sin bin when both team kept answering back.
Second half and Clacton were still on top but they were soon down to 10 men as one of their players got a straight red card, not that it seemed to slow them down as they then went 3-1 up and soon after Whitton also went down to 10 men and Clacton got a 4th from the penalty spot.
Whitton were disappointing, Clacton impressed and the Ref was also poor and why do we have sin bins, as the threat of them did not improve the players discipline and the Ref did not seem to want to use them.

Last New ground; Somersham Town, Games in 2019/20 Season; 26, New Grounds this Season; 10, Next scheduled game: Needham Market v Ipswich Town U23 - Suffolk FA Premier Cup ( 17/9/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Dribble! on Aug 6, 2019, 10:28 PM)

osborne
First Team Sub

Aug 6, 2019, 10:46 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #4 of 47 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Long Eaton Utd 6 Coventry Sphinx 2 Midland League Premier
Admission £6/£2
Programme £2
Tea £1

Lots of work going on at Grange Park since my last visit. The barrier around the pitch is enclosed, a new full size 3g pitch is being built behind the car park and the upgraded floodlights are now in use. Planning permission for an extension to the toilets and canteen part of the clubhouse has been submitted.
The game saw Long Eaton race into a 2 goal lead and then the game became scrappy for the rest of the half. The second half saw Long Eaton play some great attacking football and they have three young lads who are skilful and quick. They also have two players with massive long throws that caused problems for Sphinx. The only down side is that their defence looked rather weak in the air. On this performance I will head down to Grange Park more frequently than last season.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 6, 2019, 10:49 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 47 (4049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NWC 1S
Wythenshawe Amateurs 1-0 Cammell Laird
Att 188, adm £4, prog £2 (all gloss, little substance)

Good little set up here, quite vibrant too with a good army of volunteers and decent support.

The ground is only two years old and is evolving nicely. It's situated on the A560 Altrincham Road, just a few minutes off the motorway and on a bus route. Modest car park but street parking right outside. Entrance, car park, clubhouse, patio area, snack bar and changies are behind the near goal, good-length home-made stand with three rows of blue and white bench seating on the right hand side, dugouts on the left. Being surrounded on three sides by well-established trees adds to the look and feel.

The pitch looked a treat and played true. It was prone to waterlogging last season but they've spent money this summer on improving the drainage.

After a difficult last season for Lairds and with Ammies amongst the promotion favourites, I feared the worst with this game. But Lairds looked a far more resilient and capable side than the outfit I saw last season. Competitive first half saw few chances and ended goalless. Ammies attacked more after the break but had to rely on a far post header from a corner around the hour mark to seal the points. Lairds tried hard for an equaliser but lacked that bit of quality in the final third. Fair result but very encouraging for Lairds.

Pre-match was spent half a mile from the ground in the GBG-listed Horse & Farrier, a Hydes pub (with a few guests on too) in the centre of Gatley. Worth an hour of anyone's time. Decent chippy virtually opposite it too.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 6, 2019, 11:11 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #6 of 47 (3995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Egerton 1 Poynton 4, Cheshire League Premier Division, Att: 50, Admission/Prog: No

A handy new ground more or less on my route home from work, although being a 3G cage, not one that will live long in the memory. It has it's good points, there is a small area of covered terracing (home-made rather than drop in) and from this side, tall trees opposite provide a pleasant outlook. However there is the omnipresent football detritus which comes with cage football which always makes the place look untidy, hinders spectators' views and the pitch itself was one of the poorest I've come across recently, too slick and too much bounce, certainly not a decent replacment for grass. Changing rooms are a few yards outside the cage where hot and cold drinks and clocolate etc are dispensed by machine.

The home side started brightly and took a 10th minute lead but that was about as good as it got as Poynton equalised with a deflected free kick soon afterwards and three unanswered second half goals gave the visitors a deserved victory. Egerton have entered the FA Vase this season and having drawn Step 5 side West Didsbury & Chorlton it may be a short flirtation. Several well known faces in attendance.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Aug 6, 2019, 11:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 47 (3956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League - AFC Fylde 0 Chorley 0 - Admission £14 standing - Programme £3 - Attendance 2,443

First of several planned trips to the north over the next few weeks and a first visit for me to Mill Farm. Tonight’s trip was by coach to Manchester and then the train to Kirkham and Wesham with the 15 minute walk taking a lot longer as I recover from a horrible bout of cellulitis.

It was a much anticipated local derby with around 600 visiting fans making the short trip which added to a decent atmosphere. Seven matches into the season for me and already this was my second 0-0 draw but this was an entertaining match despite the scoreline and despite the lack of clear cut chances.

Fylde missed a couple of decent opportunities to open the scoring with a Danny Rowe header and a Kurt Willoughby shot missing the target while for Chorley, two speculative long range efforts had the home keeper, Joe Anyon, backtracking to keep his goal intact. Some of the defending had to be admired especially Chorley’s with Andy Teague and Courtney Meppen-Walters outstanding before the latter had to be replaced. Up at the other end, Kyle Jameson who came on as a substitute for Fylde looks to have an amazing pace about him and seemed to win every one on one when Chorley attacked late on.

So, a point apiece and no surprise that Chorley have now had two 0-0’s to start the season as Teague and Meppen-Walters are very imposing defenders. Hopefully, it’s time now for me to start seeing some goals again, possibly on Friday night at an FA Cup tie.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 6, 2019, 11:39 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #8 of 47 (3922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National North
Alfreton Town 1-1 Boston United

Entry’s: £14
Attendance: 633

A pacy match with plenty of opportunities, though not really that much in the way of individual skill on show. Alfreton controlled the first half and converted a penalty just before the interval, while the Pilgrims dominated the second half and grabbed an equaliser midway through the half. Boston looked the stronger as things progressed, though a draw was probably justified all round.

Of course, the highlight of any visit to this corner of Derbyshire is always going to be the ground itself: a great bank of terracing at one end, plenty of characterful stands and shelters all around, and an excellent club shop absolutely jam-packed with old programmes, scarfs, shirts and lots of badges.

A fine evening at the football.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Aug 6, 2019, 11:54 PM

Post #9 of 47 (3885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westfields 4 Longlevens 1

Allpay Park: Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division

Having not spent much time watching football at this ground last season, this was my fourth visit to Allpay Park in the space of a fortnight, although the previous three occasions had been to watch pre-season fixtures for the Hereford club. Westfields had enjoyed victories over Monmouth Town (6-0) and Pegasus Juniors (4-2) before being held to a 2-2 draw by Malvern Town last Tuesday evening in a highly competitive encounter. The home club had commenced their inaugural campaign in the Hellenic League after enjoying a 40 year association with the West Midlands (Regional) League before stepping-up to the Midland Alliance/Midland League Premier Division. The Hereford club made an outstanding start to life in their new surroundings on Saturday afternoon with a 5-0 home victory over Windsor. Westfields faced a Longlevens team that had just entered their fifth season at step five at the pyramid and had flirted with relegation last term but were able to consolidate their Premier Division status once again. The Gloucester-based commenced their league fixtures on the weekend with a 3-0 victory away at Easington Sports to send them just behind Westfields at the head of the embryonic table. Longlevens were familiar pre-season foes for Westfields but this was probably the inaugural competitive fixture between the two clubs.

The hosts saw an early sight of goal when Richard Greaves flashed an effort across the target in the opening minute before breaking the deadlock eight minutes later when a good passing move was finished by Ben Hayes. Westfields nearly doubled their lead after 17 minutes but were unable to keep a near post under the crossbar from a low cross delivered from the byline. Longlevens saw a close range effort blocked just a minute later when the ball was played into the penalty area. The Longlevens goalkeeper did well to hold a 37th minute shot from the edge of his penalty area that took a significant deflection off a visiting defender. The Gloucester outfit saw a low 20 yard free-kick held by home custodian Harvey Rivers before Westfields ended the opening period by firing over from a deep corner played to the far post. Longlevens had an earl sight of goal in the second-half when they broke forward quickly two minutes after the interval but could only shoot at Rivers. Westfields doubled their lead in the 52nd minute when Aidan Thomas drove towards the byline and Greaves was on hand to convert the pullback. Greaves latched on to a 71st minute through ball but was denied by the visiting goalkeeper before Longlevens broke forward in their next attack and halved the deficit. But the host regained their two-goal advantage moments after the restart when Ryan Green headed home from a corner that was awarded after a fine save by the Longlevens custodian. A low drive from the edge of the penalty area was saved in the 83rd minute before the scoring was completed seven minutes later was Joe Bates swept home a Paul Jones pass first time from 18 yards to seal another league victory for the league newcomers.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 125
Matches: 24
New Grounds: 4

MortyVicker
Youth Team Sub

Aug 7, 2019, 12:18 AM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #10 of 47 (3838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Combined Counties Premier

Abbey Rangers 0 Camberley Town 0

£7 admission, No programmes ("printer's on the blink....")

Att: About 60 watching

My first visit, the only real attraction being that it was one of the closest grounds I hadn't ticked in Steps 1-5. An ill-judged decision, as there were so many counter attractions around London, and this was just plain dull. Two well organised and tidy sides cancelled each other out into a non-event.

Abbey Rangers shaded it, and could have nicked it as they stepped up the pressure towards the end. The only time we approached drama was when the referee elected not to send off the visitors' petulant No7 for a late challenge having already booked him for a couple of acts of unnecessary ill-discipline. He strutted around wearing a laughable game face as if thinking the old Sky player-cam was on him, until even his own bench had had enough and hauled him off.

A simple railed ground with a couple of identikit seated stands, fully enclosed with a wooden fence, and a clubhouse at one end. The regulars all seemed to be enjoying themselves so they're obviously on to a good thing.

The excuse for a lack of a programme didn't sound too sincere but I can't find any evidence of an online version so maybe Abbey are still issuing. With no team sheets or tannoy announcements and the white board lying untouched, none of the casual visitors had any idea who anyone was. I probably just caught the ground on an off-night but I won't hurry back, particularly as a chilly breeze even tonight leads me to think you could merrily freeze in the depths of winter.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Aug 7, 2019, 12:34 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #11 of 47 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
Warrington Town 2 City of Liverpool 1
Admission was £5, prof donation, raffle £1
Tea bar open
Att. 262

COL were the better side before the break and led when a shot bounced back off the bar, hit Tony Mc and went it for an og. Town were better in part 2 and scored twice. Quite entertaining and COL were the best side we have face pre season bar Accrington S. Still unbeaten with one to go.

Post match at Ring o' Bells in Stretton. Excellent as always

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 7:21 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #12 of 47 (3544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spartan South Midlands Premier
Vale Farm
Wembley FC 3 Harpenden Town 1
Admission: £7 Paper available Attendance: 53

This has been on my radar for a while and my sporadic commission in London saw a chance to visit it at last. Easy journey up via Bakerloo and bus; a very nice little ground and set-up with plenty of cover (much needed because of some torrential showers).
I saw the hosts last season away at Hadley and they were not very good. Tonight they were excellent; good skill ad ball retention and two of the goals were top-draw. The away side were competitive but their final ball was lacking.
They led on 22 with a volleyed finish from a loose ball into the bottom corner; that lasted until 28 with a beauty of a near post flick to equalise. Hosts went close a couple of times from set pieces but it reached HT at 1-1.
Second half saw the hosts extend their lead on 63 with a side-footed finish from a left-wing cross and extend it on 68 with the goal of the night; a right-wing charge, cross on the run and met with a beautiful first time shot.
A lot of huff and puff from the away side but the hosts never looked in trouble after and the game played out with little more action.
Back to hotel in Paddington in 40.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 40 Goals: 161 GPG: 4.03 New Grounds: 27

Krooner
Junior Team Regular

Aug 7, 2019, 7:24 AM

Team(s): Camberley Town

Post #13 of 47 (3536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WESSEX LEAGUE

Fleet Town 2 v 3 Alresford Town

Decided to take this game in.

Lots has changed at Fleet in a year. The ground was looking tidy and the pitch looked in really good nick with plenty of volunteers around. Sometimes when a club slips out of Step 4 it can spell disaster but the hosts look like they have dusted themselves down and are on an upward spiral.

The game itself was exciting with very little sparkling football. Both sides were direct with keepers who could kick very accurately great lengths of the pitch. Visitors took a deserved early 2 goal lead but there were signs by half time that the home side were not out of it. This was proved by a strong first 15 minutes of the 2nd half which saw them draw level. But as you expected them to go on and win the game the visitors struck a decisive blow with 20 left. In truth Fleet never looked like equalising. Both sides looked well equipped to be comfortably in the top 10 at the end of the season.

Attendance between 100-150. £8 to get in is steep for Step 5 IMO and £1.50 for a cup of tea !

mxhornet
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 7:54 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #14 of 47 (3481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krooner] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mulbarton Wanderers - 4 Norwich CBS - 1
Thurlow Nunn League Division One North
Mulberry Park
Attendance - 120 (official)
Admission - £5
Programme - £1 (Barnes Print, 24 pages)

Back to plan A for me, I had thought about a trip to Bedford but stayed local in the end, as a result I found out about something very interesting for today a match at RAF Honington that fits with my plans for the day.
MW were well on top in the first half and led 3-0 by half time, the second half was much closer and rather scrappy / niggly both goals came late on in the space of a couple of minutes MW first from a penalty and then the CBS reply.
A handful of hoppers present.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

(This post was edited by mxhornet on Aug 7, 2019, 8:08 AM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 7, 2019, 7:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 47 (3480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krooner] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liphook 3-3 Liss
Hampshire Premier League
No Adm or paper
Att, varied throughout the evening, but 75 when I counted.

0-2 at the break, when Liphook made it 1-2 you fancied a comeback, but Liss soon restored the 2 goal advantage and appeared to be heading for the points. Liphook scored late on which i assumed was just a consolation, but got an equaliser well into added time.
Pitch railed and there was some benches/seats behind one goal offering an elevated view of the game. No cover but decent sized car park where you could easily watch the game if it rained. Clubhouse was open and appeared to sell the basics.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 7, 2019, 8:02 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #16 of 47 (3475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Scottish League Challenge Cup Round 1
Kelty Hearts v Kilmarnock Colts, 4-0, H.T. 2-0, Att 509, Admission £7, Programme £2, Catering available
At New Central Park, Kelty

This was just too attractive and unusual a fixture to miss. Kelty have made no secret of their ambition to progress to the SPFL and this match gave them an opportunity to showcase their team and facilities.

They seized that opportunity to great effect with a fine on-pitch performance watched by an appreciative crowd of over 500, the biggest of the night in the Challenge Cup. Killie’s Under 20 side were simply swept aside by a Kelty team that relished the chance to demonstrate their superiority in every department.

Goals from Murray Carstairs and Nathan Auston before the break, followed by Ross Mutch and Scott Linton in the second half, secured a 4-0 win that was actually quite kind on the visitors. Killie’s team is full of highly-rated young players but their skills and passing counted for nothing. There is no substitute for experience and being street-wise – the qualities which Kelty had in spades.

Those Killie fans who were there – around 50 I’d say – were generous in their praise for Kelty. I think many were genuinely surprised at the fantastic facilities as well as the quality of the team, being more used to the medieval nature of Junior football. There were quite a few Cowdenbeath fans in attendance as well – still looking over their shoulders somewhat anxiously at where they might end up in the future.

A programme was issued – a single game issue – which is unusual for midweek games at Kelty. More importantly. Everybody received a free Tunnocks Caramel Wafer on entering the ground. Logan Tunnock may be a Tory-funding Rangers fan but my dislike for both can be temporarily suspended in praise of his superb biscuits.

Kelty now travel to Annan in the next round. That will be an interesting game – does the “Maroon Machine” have what it takes to compete with a well-established SPFL League Two side. I think they will do well and it would be no surprise to see them progress further.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 8:19 AM

Post #17 of 47 (3451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

.....Usual PM deliberation before the seductive allure of Canvey Island attracted for a contest between two teams who had both won their opening games convincingly.....

Concord Rangers 2 v 1 Chelmsford City - Conference Division 1 South
Prog 36 pages £2.00 - Admission £12.00 - Att 1016*

Estimate this end was 650/700 but there was a large travelling support from mid Essex. In addition, parking down Thames Drive when there is a big crowd is a nightmare and it took at least 20 minutes post match for the normal traffic flows to be re-established on the roads leading away from the ground.

.....Decent but robust contest between two teams where there is a history of attrition. Concord have recruited wisely during the summer and picked up several players from the away from White Hart Lane exodus which has affected Haringey Borough and both O'Donghue and Nouble played important roles in their win. Chelmsford were hampered by two glaring examples of statuesque defending which contributed to both goals and a lack of decisiveness in front of goal especially in the first half where they had a number of half chances but none of these presented more than a passing threat to the hosts. Whelpdale turned well into space early on but flighted his shot out of the ground and followed on by an excellent run by Shaw down the left and an enticing cross in the direction of Wraight square on goal, the latter though failed to get a shot in with the cross striking his boot and angling wide.

The first half was well matched with the gangling form of Nouble when going forward being very difficult to dispossess, though Pentney in the Chelmsford goal had little other than comfortable saves to make. What was noticeable about the first period though was the ferocity of the challenges especially from Concord and surprising that we reached half time with the man in blacks yellow card only brandished on one occasion.

An entertaining but goalless first half looked the likely outcome, however in the final seconds of the half, Krasniqi easily passed by a weak challenge from Omozusi allowing him the space to place a low cross in the direction of Sheriff who converted with ease at the near post to put Concord in front. The lead was then doubled shortly after the restart with the Chelmsford defence in turmoil with a deft touch from Sheriff taking Spillane out of the equation and from there onwards it was a straightforward task to place his shot wide of Pentney and the visitors had the proverbial 'mountain to climb'.

Most of the remainder of the contest was played in the Concord half, but the likes of O'Donoghue, Pollock and Roast all made sterling defensive contributions, coupled with a succession of acrobatic leaps from Haigh, one especially from an unintentionally directed header from Pollock that was heading under his own crossbar was particularly impressive. With 11 minutes left, the visitors deservedly pulled a goal back but rather fortuitous with Muldoon's free kick taking a massive deflection off of a defenders thigh leaving Haigh rooted. Waves of Chelmsford pressure failed to produce a leveller with another outstanding leap from Haigh pushing a Spillane header over the bar. Factor in plenty of Concord bodies behind the ball, the ubiquitous timely blocks and some blatant time wasting saw the hosts maintain a their perfect start to the season and a position atop of the admittedly very embryonic league table.

First visit to Thames Drive for a couple of seasons and there are no discernible improvements, which after last seasons exclusion from the divisional Play Off competition seemed surprising. It remains a reasonable Level 3 ground and a Level 2 venue which would almost certainly appear in Conference Regional supporters surveys of grounds that they least like visiting. No indication that if the splendid start to the season is maintained and the team is in a promotion/Play Off position in 6 months time that the venue will resemble a building site whilst rushed improvements are undertaken to comply with Conference National ground grading rules.

One of those destination where a £2.20 investment in PlusBus to augment the train travel is beneficial with plenty of convenient services off of Benfleet and a post match service which is also convenient for the other club on the island. Fortunately by then the streams of vehicles pulling away had diminished allowing a timely arrival back at Benfleet and for once c2c evening engineering work rewarding with a non stop service between Pitsea and Grays. Indoors at least half an hour earlier than anticipated.....

noprogs
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 8:22 AM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 47 (3443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
West Lancs Division 2. KO18:45. (F&N). Crowd 61

Chipping 3 v 2 Mill Hill

they were awarded a penalty in stoppage time but the club linesman flagged for offside in the build up and so the referee reversed his decision much to the dismay of the away team.

We were behind the goal so couldn't judge that decision, but on the strength of others during the game I wouldn't be confident on it's validity. I really can't work out why referees don't just instruct club linesmen/substitutes to just give ball out decisions only

(This post was edited by noprogs on Aug 7, 2019, 8:30 AM)

royf
Youth Team Regular

Aug 7, 2019, 8:28 AM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Glentoran, Tottenham, Rangers, Santa Maria (Cape Verde)

Post #19 of 47 (3412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

leasing.com Cup Rotherham 0 Man Utd U21 2 Adm £12.50 Prog £2 (decent and well laid out) Teamsheet 20p Att: 3105 (away 535)
The visitors' line up had 6 players with first names I have never heard of or never dreamed imaginable. Two good second half strikes won it, ironically after the Millers had a good five minutes just before.

2019/20: Games 7 Goals 21 New grounds 3 New teams 4

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 7, 2019, 8:31 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #20 of 47 (3398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Egerton 1 Poynton 4, Cheshire League Premier Division, Att: 50, Admission/Prog: No

A handy new ground more or less on my route home from work, although being a 3G cage, not one that will live long in the memory. It has it's good points, there is a small area of covered terracing (home-made rather than drop in) and from this side, tall trees opposite provide a pleasant outlook. However there is the omnipresent football detritus which comes with cage football which always makes the place look untidy, hinders spectators' views and the pitch itself was one of the poorest I've come across recently, too slick and too much bounce, certainly not a decent replacment for grass.

Despite major changes in seven years since I went, it appears to still be the same location. I saw a game on a grass pitch, with little else around.

Good to see they are in the Vase, as this means they must now be floodlit, despite the area being known as Millionaires' Row.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 7, 2019, 8:40 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #21 of 47 (3379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

A handy new ground more or less on my route home from work, although being a 3G cage, not one that will live long in the memory. It has it's good points, there is a small area of covered terracing (home-made rather than drop in) and from this side, tall trees opposite provide a pleasant outlook. However there is the omnipresent football detritus which comes with cage football which always makes the place look untidy, hinders spectators' views and the pitch itself was one of the poorest I've come across recently, too slick and too much bounce, certainly not a decent replacment for grass.

Despite major changes in seven years since I went, it appears to still be the same location. I saw a game on a grass pitch, with little else around.

Good to see they are in the Vase, as this means they must now be floodlit, despite the area being known as Millionaires' Row.

The grass pitch complete with wooden rail still exists, to the right of the entrance and car park. The 3G is at the rear of the complex, behind the club buildings and changing rooms. There are indeed floodlights, which were used in the second half, despite it being a 6.45 kick off.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

stingray
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 9:25 AM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #22 of 47 (3296 views)
Shortcut

South Midlands Premier
LEVERSTOCK GREEN 0-0 BROADFIELDS UNITED
Admission £7.00 Prog £1.00 Bacon baguette £3.50 Tea & Coffee £2.40
Attendance 73 (looked about right, probably mostly Hemel fans unable to get to Dorking Laugh)

Two games, no goals. What a way to start the season. This wasn't particularly inspiring as chances were few and far between and it seemed to get a bit heated at the end with both sides reduced to ten and the linesman (who posts on the SML forum) getting some pretty hefty verbals from the disgruntled locals.

And no, I won't blame Brexit for the increased cost of the bacon baguette.

2019/20 stats

14 goals in 4 games
£41.20 spent

Dr Love
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 9:27 AM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #23 of 47 (3292 views)
Shortcut

Bashley 2-1 Christchurch
Wessex Premier

The last time I visited Bashley it was for their first point of the 2015/16 season, in February. Since then the stand furthest from the clubhouse appears to have been condemned and now out of use. One new feature is some scaffolding offering a high vantage point for the cameraman. A pleasant evening and a local derby brought the crowds out, with over 200 in attendance.

A competitive game which saw Christchurch take a first minute lead, but Bashley fought back to lead by half time. No more goals after the break, but the majority of chances falling to Christchurch, but they found the Bashley keeper in good form. A good day out, including a decent walk round the New Forest.

Karen Browne
First Team Sub

Aug 7, 2019, 10:05 AM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #24 of 47 (3222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
South Midlands Premier
Bacon baguette £3.50

And no, I won't blame Brexit for the increased cost of the bacon baguette.

Surely still worth the increase for one of the SSML's finest offerings

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 10:11 AM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #25 of 47 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Tuesday 6th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League Solihull Moors 3 Torquay United 0 Season ticket duty Programme £3 (glossy and with very little reading, most of its contents are of a commercial nature. A major disappointment) Attendance 1613
In the light of Sisu once again deciding to take Coventry City out of the city, I have voted with my feet and decamped to Solihull Moors, investing in a season ticket for the princely sum of £130) -old fogey rate. Solihull is now much easier to reach from Coventry by public transport than it once was and not wanting to pay £5 for the car park (It was £3 when I last visited) I decided to travel by bus. The 82 (run by Johnson's of Henley in Arden) dropped me off in Solihull Town Centre and after an enjoyable few beers in the Indian Brewery we made our way to the ground (the X12 drops you off almost outside the ground and then runs on to Chelmsley Wood via Birmingham International).The Moors are clearly gearing up for the EFL with a lot of work having gone on in the close season to increase capacity sufficiently for them to go to the next level. A new two tier Damson Homes Main Stand has been constructed, although the eight row lower tier of that was not ready to be used last night. The terracing at the Damson Lane end of the ground has been extended and now has a sterile zone at the front with a few food outlets at the rear and three rows of terracing. I believe further work will be carried out next close season to increase seating capacity even further to the number required by the EFL.Torquay missed a sitter in the first 30 seconds as they caught the Moors cold from the kick off and missed another good chance very soon afterwards and boy did Solihull make them pay as they were two up inside 9 minutes. A third just before half time (which prompted Torquay manager Gary Johnson to substitute two players immediately) meant that the second half was as big a non event as you would expect in the circumstances, although the excellent Ryan Boot did save a penalty which would have put the visitors back in the game. A word here for England's most senior female referee Rebecca Welch who did a superb job and on the evidence of this showing is clearly destined for EFL status (could the Moors also be heading in that direction?).A good connection at Birmingham International meant that I was home within an hour and a quarter of the final whistle.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3