Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Ironbridge FC

Dabberman
Ballboy/girl

Jul 31, 2019, 8:35 AM

Post #1 of 5 (404 views)
Shortcut
Ironbridge FC Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm trying to find information on Ironbridge FC who were founder members of the Shropshire League in 1890. I know from the excellent Football Club History Database that they were champions in that inaugural season and only appear to have lasted until 1903.
Does anyone have any more details on the club - and particularly where their ground was??

PhilJN
Ballboy/girl

Jul 31, 2019, 11:18 AM

Post #2 of 5 (363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dabberman] Ironbridge FC [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Their ground was called Hill Top and I believe it was actually in Madeley.
Looking at 1901-1903 O.S. maps there are a few options:
1. Madeley Cricket Club on Ironbridge Road
2. Where Woodlands Primary School is now situated on Madeley Road
3. The opposite side of the road to the school which used to be Hill Top Farm.
May be worth contacting the Cricket Club.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 31, 2019, 11:49 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 5 (359 views)
Shortcut

'The Non-League Football Grounds of Staffordshire & Shropshire' has a small section on Ironbridge FC and gives the ground reference as SJ 687040, which is where Somerset Close now stands. The ground survived until the 1950s as a junior club venue until the housing estate was built. As far as we know, the ground had no spectator facilities even though it had a crowd of 3,000 for the visit of Aston Villa in the Birmingham Senior Cup on 11 January 1890.

Dabberman
Ballboy/girl

Jul 31, 2019, 6:19 PM

Post #4 of 5 (284 views)
Shortcut

Thanks ever so much for the information guys - much appreciated.
Having looked at old maps and translating the grid ref into latitude/longitude, I've identified the field that would seem to have been the Hill Top pitch??
I've noted it on the attached map from 1903. It looks like there are a couple of very small constructions but, as mentioned, no spectator facilities of note. Perhaps the players changed at the nearby New Inn (or perhaps Park Inn) and walked down the path to the pitch.
If this is correct, and having transposed a current day aerial view, it would seem that the field is adjacent to the modern day Woodlands Primary School - Somerset Close being a little distance away.
Now, all I need is a team photo!!
Attachments: Ironbridge FC ground 1903.jpg (224 KB)

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 31, 2019, 8:10 PM

Post #5 of 5 (261 views)
Shortcut

Ironbridge FC started their league career in 1889-90 in the Bimingham & District League before moving on to the Shropshire League.

The Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News of 29 August 1903 states that after the demise of the Shropshire League, Ironbridge FCs application to rejoin the Birmingham & District League for season 1903-04 was rejected and Walsall filled the vacancy. It was reported that as Ironbridge was not served by a main railway line transport to and from other clubs in the Birmingham & District League was difficult and counted again its application. In addition, another report stated that the club was 80 in debt.

The next reference that I have is from the Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News of 10 June 1905 when it was reported that an effort was being made to revive Ironbridge FC in the Walsall & District League. In fact at the league meeting of 20 June they were elected to the league along with Walsall Reserves, Oldbury Town and Halesowen. But in the Shrewsbury Chronicle in early July 1905 it was reported that the club did not yet have a ground to play on. Finally the Wellington Journal & Shrewsbury News of 22 July reported on a meeting of Ironbridge FC at which a motion was passed to withdraw from the Walsall & District League because of the failure to find a suitable ground.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3