Central Europe trip

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 31, 2019, 1:40 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #1 of 4 (742 views)
Shortcut
Central Europe trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

Off with the family for a break in Bratislava for 6 days where I was fortunate enough to pick up three games.
Bratislava does have its own airport but no suitable flights from Brum with by far the cheaper option being to fly to Vienna on Sunday evening with an overnighter at the Moxy Hotel on site - under a ton for the four of us with breakfast and eminently suitable even though it feels a bit hostelly.
There are three ways of getting to Bratislava from Vienna - a very regular Flix bus does the journey from the airport in 50 minutes for 4; an hourly train runs from Wien Hbf taking an hour and costing 8 or there's the fun option of taking the Twin City Liner which flies down the Danube in 75 minutes and which costs 30 depositing you on the edge of Bratislava's old town or Stare Mesto. It's a small capital and the old town is delightful and traffic free with many excellent craft bars. We rented an apartment ten minutes walk out with a craft bar directly opposite for about a ton a night. There's not a huge amount to do and see in the city other than chill and people-watch. With temperatures over 33 every day,it was very relaxed apart from a short trek up to the castle which had little to recommend it other than its views over the Danube plain into Hungary and Austria. Retail therapy tired out the females so during their downtime I took an Uber (3 euro) to :
Wednesday July 24th : Europa League 2Q - Slovan Bratislava 2 Feronikeli 1. Admission 12 Euro; Programme free. Attendance : 7,150
I'd been to the Tehelne Pole back in October 2005 to see Slovakia beat Estonia 1-0 in a WC Qualifier in front of 12,873 and the place has been flattened since. Demolished in 2013 with the new stadium opening early this year, it holds 22,500 and is very smart inside if dull on the exterior but then works are still ongoing around the stadium. Tickets were available from 8 euro behind the goal and mine was halfway line, lower tier in blazing heat given that this kicked off at 6. Nominally a stadium card is required but they accepted my credit card for fodder & drink of which there was a surprising variety though if you really wanted, bags of rabbit food were available around the stadium. Didn't see any Kosovan fans, not even Gladstone.
A poor quality game, not surprising given the heat and Slovan scored via a free-kick and a penalty with a late Feronikeli reply potentially making the second leg interesting but if they couldn't beat TNS at home.......
Tram 4 from up the road will take you back to town and it's not far to Nove Mesto station which is on the railway network just past the Pasienky stadium where Slovan spent their wilderness years. Formerly home to Inter Bratislava,it's now used by Slovan stiffs in the second division.
New ground tick? What do you think.............Tongue

Thursday July 25th : Europa League 2Q - DAC Dunajska Streda 1 Atromitos 2. Admission 12 Euro; Programme free. Attendance : 9,980
This one had been planned and half-way line front row ticket booked for the best supported club in the country. Dunajska Streda is about 35 miles east of Bratislava with frequent trains through the day (an hour) on the line to Komarno, cost 2.55 euro but there's no transport back after about 9.30 so it would have to be a cab. There's not much to the town which has a population of 22,500 of which 75% are Hungarian. The former Hungarian town found itself on the wrong side of the redrawn border lines post WW2 and the recently revitalised football club has become the focal point for ethnic Magyars in southern Slovakia. They finished second last season, their best ever showing and the MOL Arena has just been remodelled into a very smart 12,700 capacity all seater light years away from the old communist-style stadia so often seen in these parts. Stadium card only here so I missed out on food/drink as the queues for cards were forbidding so I harrumphed on a fag instead. Followed by another.....
A motley collection of players in the home ranks with several African countries represented along with Panama and amazingly Ireland; Connor Patrick Ronan is in his second season here on loan from Wolves and he scored the decisive goal that saw DAC surprisingly eliminate Cracovia in the previous round. Visitors Atromitos also had a familar face in the shape of former Evertonian Apostolis Vellios.
There was a fantastic atmosphere early on with Hungarian songs being belted out and the first half saw three great goals with DAC only achieving parity briefly. The Greeks were much the better side and should have won by more being unusually open and inventive; Ronan was substituted after 30 minutes Crazy
The ground is very central and despite a brief moment of panic when my booked taxi buggered off without me as he claimed I'd moved from the original rendezvous, another was found which got me back to the capital around midnight for 46 euro.

Friday's excitement was an Escape Room and Saturday was a day-trip to Vienna so after a morning at the Naschmarkt, I left the girls at Stephansdom heading for the Hard Rock Cafe while I took the local Badner Bahn or Wiener Lokalbahn for a 25 minute journey to Maria Enzersdorf Sudstadt station which is less than five minutes walk from the BSFZ Arena. The Vienna daytripper ticket for about 5.60 euro is great value but its area-span ends two stops before the ground so you'll need a supplementary 4.50 ticket....or take your chances as not once was any of us checked all day on any mode of transport and the stations are all barrier-free....
Saturday July 27th : Austrian Bundesliga - Admira Wacker Modling 0 WAC Wolfsberg 3. Admission 18/13 Euro ; Programme free. Attendance : 1,900
The heavens opened during the short walk from the train and with ferocious thunder and lightning, I did wonder if this might not happen but by kick-off it had all subsided. There's not much in the area but there was a club canteen and sheltered bench seating out front to scoff a very ordinary frankfurter and beer; there was some other fodder inside, cash taken.
This is an unremarkable ground with one decent sizeable stand and three sides of open seating. Or should I say closed seating today due to the rain so everyone piled into the stand. The game was as one-sided as the score suggests and after the visitors had taken the lead on half-time, they were rarely troubled with WAC's Israeli striker Shon Weissman the best player on the park. Wolfsberg have had a meteoric recent rise having spend almost all their history in the lower leagues and they are in this years Europa League having finished third last season. Their 100 fans enjoyed themselves immensely while the home ultras sang "We are f***ing shit". They were.
We all met up at the Prater for a spin on the Riesenrad for a bargain 12 Euro each and finished up at Hotel Psycho which is by far the best ghost train any of us had ever been on. A long tiring day but there was a tick involved so obviously it was worth it....

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 31, 2019, 2:13 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 4 (731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Central Europe trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 31, 2019, 9:40 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 4 (673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Central Europe trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any signs at DAC of disguised Hungarian flags?
Apparently, it is illegal for them to bring Hungarian flags into the stadium. When I was there, the colours were clearly on show as balloons. Pers-Anders Blind (CONIFA president) said they would hold up cards with the words red, white and green on them!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 31, 2019, 9:49 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 4 (666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Central Europe trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't see any at the Ultras end.

https://www.bing.com/...2106075&FORM=VIR

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3