Shortcut
Friday 19th July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Colchester Utd 0 Ipswich Town 5
PSF
Jobserve Community Stadium

Admission: £15
Programme:£2 , team sheet 50p
Attendance: 5210

Easy win for Ipswich with new signing, Norwood hitting a hattrick.

Over 3,000 Ipswich fans at the game, Colchester fans did not seem interested, a similar attitude to their players in the second half.

Last New Ground; Beccles Town, Games in 2019/20 Season; 18, New Grounds this Season; 8, Next scheduled game: tbc
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Regular

Jul 19, 2019, 11:36 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #2 of 10 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish League Cup Group E

Motherwell 4 Greenock Morton 0

Fir Park, Motherwell

Attendance - 3,167 (280 away supporters)

Admission - £12 Programme (when unfolded became a 2019-20 Motherwell F.C wall poster / planner) - £2

Bad weather, as well as the M6 and M74 misbehaving led to a long journey from north Wales for a one night, two game trip to Scotland as I will also visit Hamilton Accies tomorrow.

The weather continued to haunt me as I made the 25 minute trek from my digs for the night across to Fir Park and got thoroughly soaked to the skin due to the very heavy rain making watching the game a somewhat uncomfortable affair!

The game itself proved to be a relative walk in the park for the far superior home side who now look strong favourites to win Group E and qualify for the last 16.

Luckily, the weather was not so bad for the walk back after the game and it is hoped that my soaking wet jeans will dry overnight and will be fit for purpose as I cross over the M74 and into Hamilton before heading back down to the Principality.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 11:41 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #3 of 10 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Long Melford 4 Bury Town 1
Friendly at Stoneylands, about 60 watching

Took the scenic route from Cambridge via Haverhill and Clare and arrived just after kick off. £4 in kindly paid by my friend Phil who was paying in lieu of me being his driver for the evening. No progs but bought a raffle ticket - Phil bought one too and he won the cash which he promptly donated back to the club.
Bury fielded a very youthful looking XI as most of their more senior players were due to play against Braintree Town on Saturday. Melford were on top for most of the first half and went in 2-0 with Bury limited to one chance that came off the bar. It got livelier in the 2nd half and after about 20 minutes a Bury player was sent off - 2nd yellow. The Bury bench were pleading for the ref to give them a chance to sub the player off but in my opinion the decision was the right one. Within minutes Bury got their goal, helped by the Melford keeper who faffed about in his own box and had the ball stolen from him. After missing a few chances Melford upped their game and scored two late goals. A fair result.
The clubhouse has a superb display of Long Melford memorabilia including old handbooks, programmes, team photos and medals, all celebrating 150 years of football in the village. Well worth a visit for that alone.
A slightly ram-shackled ground and for that all the more appealing in my mind. A bog-standard 100 or so seated Arena stand on the halfway line along with some cover near the tea bar and a further area of cover behind the far goal. A third of this end is out of bounds as is the whole of the side opposite the club house and stand. Plans in the club house show a soon to be built pavilion for use by not only the football club but the whole community.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 20, 2019, 12:04 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #4 of 10 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Airtricity Division 1. KO 19:45. Admission 10 Euro. No Programme. Free Team Sheet. Crowd 321 (Official).

Limerick 1 v 4 Drogheda United

Match played in heavy rain for the most part, yet the pitch held up really well and despite a fair amount of water, no puddles formed. The ground has a main stand on one side and a visitors stand at one end, the rest of the ground was open.

Limerick took a surprise early lead against their 2nd place opponents, missing another great chance to double their lead. In the end no one could add to the single first half goal.

Limerick had a another golden opportunity early in the second period but it was saved by the legs of the goalkeeper. Once United scored there looked to be only one winner and so it proved. Their 3rd goal was a penalty following a clumsy challenge. Good game for this league and a 45 minute drive in the dry to our base.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2019, 12:09 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #5 of 10 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Pre season friendly
AFC Stoneham 2-1 Eastleigh
Attendance 250 eat
Admission £6 including programme
2 jerk chicken thighs £3.50

Deserved win for the Wessex Premier new boys over their more illustrious neighbours. The Purps, actually wearing pink tonight, had a goal disallowed for offside before Callum Laycock fired them in front midway through the first half. A magnificent free kick curled over the wall and into the net by Matt Bainbridge doubled the hosts lead early in the second half. A late rally from the visitors saw them pull a goal back with 10 minutes remaining, a corner net by a powerful header from their number 8 - don't know his name but Eastleigh's twitter said it was a great night for the Trialist familyWink, speaking of which two of the Stoneham players listed in the programme were Trialist (#12) and Trailist (#17)! Eastleigh almost grabbed an undeserved leveller two minutes after scoring when the home keeper fluffed a back pass but managed to scramble back and clear the ball off the line.

This was most likely my final visit to the HP Arena with the new facility just South of the M27 due to open in September, though the club will also be keeping the current facility for at least another 12 months according to the programme. A new housing estate has sprung up next to the track leading up to the ground while the golf course and driving range has disappeared, extra football pitches on the land it was on but used for extra parking space tonight.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 20, 2019, 8:55 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #6 of 10 (850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Women’s U19 Championships Finals Group Game (4.pm KO)
England v Spain, 0-1, H.T. 0-1, Att 347, Admission £2, Tournament Programme Available, Steak Pie and Coffee £4
At Forthbank Stadium, Stirling

Spain recorded a second successive win and England a second successive defeat. Later in the day it was confirmed that England were out as Germany defeated Belgium at Perth. Spain and Germany, both with 100% records, will now contest top spot in the group when they meet on Monday.

This was a decent game between two good sides. England probably had the best individual players but Spain were clearly the better team overall. Their goal came midway through the first half as they carved open the England defence to set up an easy finish. England’s best player, for me, was Esme Morgan of Manchester City – she started at the back but was moved into midfield as England chased the game in the closing stages.

Forthbank is an ideal venue for games such as this with an excellent playing surface and ample room in the West Stand for the crowds that attend. The Pie Stall and Club Shop were both open – the Club Shop is in the concourse of the West Stand at the south end.

A few copies of the Tournament Programme surfaced after none being available at the first game. Still not many to be found. Teamsheets also at a premium so thanks again to scottsas for providing these.

The crowd was the usual mix of neutrals along with friends and families of the players. England did have a couple of drunken dickheads who did their best to spoil everyone’s enjoyment with their tuneless singing and jingoistic chanting.

Spain, Germany and France are through to the Semi Finals with Norway or the Netherlands to join them.

From there, it was up a very wet A9 / A90 to :

Betfred Scottish League Cup Group Game (7.45ko)
Dundee United v Cowdenbeath, 3-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 2526 (70 Away), Admission £12, Programme £2, Bridie and Coffee £4
At Tannadice Park

This was a game that United were expected to win comfortably. They achieved those expectations although Cowden made them fight hard for their win. The only goal of the first half was a good finish by Argentinian signing Adrian Sporle after an incisive move. A header by Lawrence Shankland and a second by Louis Appere added some second half gloss to United’s win. Their wide players, McMullan and Banks, caused problems for Cowden throughout.

From their own point of view Cowden were well served by goalkeeper Dabrowski, full back Mullen and forward Renton, who ploughed a lone furrow for much of the evening. I felt that the visitors got very little from the referee but that was probably just my biased imagination.

The attendance was given as 2526 although it looked less than that. Given that this is a split gate competition, United will not be inflating the figure. I suspect that some who bought tickets ended up staying at home given the down pour that hit Dundee over tea time and early evening. The Cowden fans were housed in the Jim Mclean Fair Play stand – the extension to the Main Stand at Tannadice. I think it is the first time I’ve watched a game from there and it is definitely the best view in the ground. The old main stand is designed for midgets and the leg room elsewhere is just about as bad. Home fans were in the George Fox Lower. The stand behind the goal, the usual home end is shrouded in scaffolding as maintenance work is underway.

Programme was a £2 double issue covering this game and next week’s match against East Fife. It was better than some of the abbreviated issues doing the rounds at present and thankfully wasn’t a fold-out poster.

I’m really enjoying the League Cup this season with some excellent games to see – Saturday’s fixture list, however, doesn’t throw up anything desperately exciting. It will be a late decision as to where to go.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jul 20, 2019, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #7 of 10 (834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tony Evan's Memorial Shield Final (@ Rhewl)
Llandyrnog 2 Nantglyn 1
No admission or prog, raffle £1
Tea bar and barbecue in operation
Att. 350 appx.

Nothing in this for the opening half with the score reflecting that. Dyrny led but were brought level. The winner came with time left to level again but Nant although enjoying more possession throughout never really forced much from the keeper. It brought some joy for what was a disappointing league campaign for Dyrny, having finished in the lower half of the table. Good crowd this evening to end my 25th summer league campaign. Pitch was fully roped off.

Hilary and I decamped to The Colemendy in Cadole for the always on ale fest post match. It did not disappoint. It never does.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 20, 2019, 11:06 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 10 (725 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Colchester Utd 0 Ipswich Town 5

.....new signing, Norwood hitting a hattrick.

Something he never managed in his four years with us, surprisingly.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 22, 2019, 12:27 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #9 of 10 (371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Snailbeach White Stars 6 Waterloo Rovers 2 (PSF) Att: 18 h/c

As comprehensive as it sounds. The home side, runners up in the Shrewsbury Sunday League, were a class above the visitors. This was no fluke result, as they won 6-0 at Borth United in their first game. Got a bit tasty in the second half, the scrap that everyone on the pitch seemed to want resulting in 9v10 for the closing stages.

Home is The Coates, which was once home to Hopesgate United in Saturday football. White Stars won the Shropshire County League on numerous occasions in the past, and would walk it if they entered again. Not much football furniture, other than derelict dugouts on the unused second pitch, but a stunning setting amongst the hills and Clun Forest. Well worth a visit.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 4:52 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #10 of 10 (160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Friday 19th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Boat Of Garten Ospreys 2-4 Aviemore Thistle
Strathspey & Badenoch Welfare FA, MacLean Cup SF
f&n, h/c 11

All clubs make it to the SFs of the Strathspey & Badenoch’s various cups – there are only four teams in this summer league this year. And even then, two of them (Aviemore Thistle and Kingussie) have struggled to raise an XI on more than one occasion this season, several matches having been awarded as w/o-scr. The league’s e-presence only ever tells you that afterwards, and clubs’ own social media are hopelessly out of date – I’ve been caught out, arriving for S&B fixtures only to find no-shows. So after another lovely (2h) drive over the tops of the Cairngorms, journeying in hope rather than expectation, it was with great relief that I found players already rolling up. Excellent! Only 22 of them though – neither side had brought any subs. So with that guarantee, and time in hand, I went off exploring. Boat Of Garten is a tourist-centric village set by a salmon river, with surrounding natural pine forests full of walking trails to see wildlife, and a heritage steam railway. But the main thing it sells itself as is “the osprey village”. Even the footy team uses the Ospreys suffix. So I followed the signs to the RSPB osprey centre. A good 3½ miles out of the village though, so it’s a bit cheeky the village clinging on to that title – any tourists arriving on the steam train would not find any ospreys awaiting them! Set by a lake in the heart of natural forest, the RSPB reserve was a very pleasant place to spend a half hour reading the information boards – the visitors’ centre was already shut for the day, within which there is CCTV coverage of the ospreys’ nests until August, when like a lot of others born in Scotland they flee to warmer climes.

Back to the ground. Reidhaven Park is an open pitch sat adjacent to the Community Centre and playpark. Forest paths begin by the corner flag. It seems it’s obligatory to own a dog if you live here, so numerous were the dog-walkers using them. Wooded hills as backdrop on the other side. There are worse places in the world to spend an evening spectating on a mild dry evening like this and you can understand why this area is a holiday destination. Plenty of midges came out of the forest at dusk though, although surprisingly I didn’t get bitten. Perhaps I’ve been to so many games over in the West of Scotland this summer that the midges now accept me as a local, and I’m exempt!
With it being an open field, it evidently also gets used by the local kids for kickabouts. Both goalmouths were so heavily used that there weren’t just bare patches but actual craters! Any keeper taking the dreaded step forward at a pen wouldn’t be at risk of being VARred, but would be at risk of breaking his ankle! Also, the penalty areas were marked out only 14 yards or so – far too close to the six-yard boxes. When pens did indeed occur, and the ref paced-out the distance to where it should be taken from (it’s often the case at the levels of football I go to that there is no whitewashed spot itself and the ref has to do this each time), he found that 12 yards was not very far at all inside the outer box! When coming over to book the Away manager for motivating his team with “we’re playing against 12 men here”, I heard the ref saying that there were several issues with this pitch that he would be reporting. At HT I needed a pee, so went into the Community Centre to find the gents, to find that that was where one of the teams had got changed, just piling up their bags etc in front of the urinals. Urgh! Not exactly a luxury ‘changing room’.

The game didn’t start well for the hosts – an o.g. after only 45 seconds as a defender put his head to a cross and finished it off beautifully, low past his keeper. Oh dear. A pen on 25 made it 1-1 before some handbags saw an Aviemore player getting his marching orders for throwing a punch. So BoG had over an hour against 10 men. But still they did not win. Early in the second half and it was 1-2, before another BoG pen (somewhat soft in my opinion) levelled it for a second time. Aviemore’s turn for a pen on the hour – 2-3. And a two-goal margin put it beyond BoG’s reach on 73 – an Aviemore forward went to head in a cross but must have shut his eyes and instead ‘teethed’ it in! Ouch. But they all count.

The other SF did also go ahead, with Kingussie able to raise enough participants. Runaway best team of the four Grantown United beat them 8-4. The final is on Friday at the neutral venue of Strathspey Thistle’s Highland League ground in Grantown-on-Spey.

A couple of hours’ drive back home, the more-major but still scenic route, past many Speyside whisky distilleries.
Proper competitive match 1 of 3 of the weekend successfully enjoyed. 4 hours total driving so far.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3