Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 16, 2019, 9:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 34 (3268 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 16th July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tuesday 16th July 2019, 7p.m. at Springfield

Jersey Bulls 0, Leicester City U23s 3
(Raul Uche 22, Conor Tee 28, Ryan Loft 82)

Attendance 963

Programme £2
28 pages A5 all colour (plus A4 media team sheet)

Jersey Bulls
1. Euan Van der Vliet, 2. Mark Logue, 3. Jay Giles, 4. James Queree(c), 5. Jack Griffin, 6. Jonny Le Quesne, 7. Karl Hinds, 8. Adam Trotter, 9. Daryl Wilson, 10. Fraser Barlow, 11. Keiran Lester
Substitutes (rolling)
46 mins - 14. Luke Campbell, 15. Harry Cardwell, 16. Jules Gabbiadini, 17. Lorne Bickley, 18. Sean Lambert, 20. Zeljko Martinovic (replacing Logue, Griffin, Hinds, Wilson, Barlow, Lester)
66 mins - 12. James Carr, 19. Jake Baker (replacing Giles, Le Quesne)
77 mins - Giles and Le Quesne returned for Carr (injured) and Trotter
21. Bradley Rolland (sub GK) was not used

Leicester City U23
1. Viktor Johansson, 2. Edward Elewa-Ikpakwu, 3. Calvin Ughelumba, 4. Conor Tee, 5. Elliott Moore(c), 6. Justen Kranthove, 7. Telor Williams, 8. Callum Wright, 9. Raul Uche, 10. Layton Ndukwu, 11. Dempsey Arlott-John
Substitutes (rolling) (all were used)
46 mins - 12. Vontae Daley-Campbell, 13. Jakub Stolarczyk(gk), 15. Oliver Ewing, 17. George Thomas(vc), 18. Ryan Loft (replacing Johansson, Tee, Moore, Wright, Uche)
61 mins - 14. Luke Thomas, 16. Liam Loughlan, 20. Faiq Bolkiah (replacing Ughelumba, Ndukwu, Arlott-John)
76 mins - Uche returned for Williams
81 mins - Ughelumba returned for Daley-Campbell

Officials - Dave Brunton, Luke Nerac, Andy Norman, Neil Giannoni (all Jersey)

Cautions - none

Man of the Match award - Adam Trotter

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Jul 16, 2019, 9:41 PM)

Callum
Youth Team Sub

Jul 16, 2019, 10:10 PM

Post #2 of 34 (3186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St Asaph 0 CPD Llanuwchylln 1
Win for the Level 4 side tonight in a fast paced match. After 7 minutes the home goalkeeper and awaystriker were both sent off for punches, absolutely fine from my perspective if only more refs were strong enough, it seemed to surprise everyone else including both managers who told the ref to just have a word and carry on, so he did have a word with them and then directed them off the pitch, well done to him. Long way to travel to play 7 mins from the away lads viewpoint. Both teams stayed at 11 men however.
Ground very basic for level 3. Only one side currently has concrete path, near end has had trench built for new concrete pathway. Fully railed, nice view of cathedral in background. Word of warning for anybody who drives a van like me, only vehicles below 2.1m can fit under the entrance gate, there is public pay car park opposite on the main road.

(This post was edited by Callum on Jul 16, 2019, 10:11 PM)

osborne
First Team Sub

Jul 16, 2019, 10:14 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #3 of 34 (3178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Borrowash Victoria 1 Loughborough Dynamo 0 - PSF
Admission/programme- none (despite progs being advertised on their twitter account.)
Tea £1
h/c 56.
I had a choice between this game and Graham Street v Stapleford. I chose this game on the account of the tea bar being open. The match saw the home team defend really well and their keeper made several great saves. Borrowash scored with 6 minutes left when their striker managed to round the keeper to score. A deserved victory.
On watching this game I predict a much better season for Vics who look well organised and have a couple of useful looking players. As for Dynamo I think they'll struggle to score goals and won't do as well as last season. Always hard to judge though. Maybe I should have gone to Prims who won 7-1!

Atavistic
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 16, 2019, 10:17 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #4 of 34 (3169 views)
Shortcut

Yaxley 1 Lincoln City XI 0

Attendance: 90 h/c

The first half was mostly even, with little to separate the sides early on; the quicker decision-making and overall game intelligence of the youthful Lincoln side was generally cancelled out by our team's greater amount of footballing experience. This led to an entertaining albeit largely uneventful half, with only a few chances to speak of and only Lincoln getting any on target.

The second half initially saw Lincoln make a strong start as they quickly began dominating possession, but as they pushed forwards our defence mostly stood firm, and when Lincoln's attackers did break through the finish was usually lacking, with Aaron Butcher barely having a save to make. At the other end, we had to bide our time and settle for a few half-chances here and there, but as the half progressed and substitutes were made we began to steadily press more and more. Eventually, we got a goal in the 82nd minute: Andre Williams sent a corner into the box and, after a couple of headers and ricochets, Michael Frew was able to poke the ball across the face of goal and in.

So, an entertaining match and constructive learning experience for both sides, despite little in the way of goalmouth action.

Yaxley FC Programme Editor

2019/20 (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 4 (Luton Town, Soham Town Rangers, Holbeach United, St. Neots Town)
Games: 10
Goals: 37
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.70
0-0s: 0

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

Karb
First Team Regular

Jul 16, 2019, 10:22 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #5 of 34 (3155 views)
Shortcut

Pre-Season Friendly
Leverstock Green 2-0 Hoddesdon Town
F&N, Att 40

A pleasant place to spend a mild Tuesday evening, and a very friendly welcome, even before I discovered that one of the club officials is a former work colleague.

The end nearest the main entrance gates is out of bounds to spectators, unless you want to sit in your car. To the right is a small, tidy stand, to the left is the clubhouse, and hard standing is available on all three accessible sides.

Billed as a 7pm kick off, I was informed when I arrived that it had been out back to 7.15.

The home side just shaded the early exchanges, and took the lead on 15 minutes, when number 9 headed in a cross from the left. This was a signal for Hoddesdon to get going, and within a minute, they had forced two splendid saves from the Levvy keeper, and hit the side netting. Each keeper pulled off one more excellent save later in the half, to keep the score at 1-0 at the interval.

The visiting keeper collided with the post when making a save early in the second half. After a lengthy stoppage for treatment, he continued for a short while, before needing another lengthy stoppage, and this time he was forced to come off. Rolling subs were the order of the day in this game, but with no sub keeper available, Hoddesdon were forced to put an outfield player goal.

Despite some decent play from both sides, defences remained largely on top, until another cross from the left on 81 minutes found its way to Leverstock's number 16 who fired past the stranded keeper.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 16, 2019, 10:27 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #6 of 34 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Pre-Season Friendly

Eastleigh 3 Oxford U. 0

admission £10/£5, teamsheet free, attendance est 700
last season: 7th in National League v 12th in League 1 (not with this lineup, though)
This was a very young visiting side, who battled well and gave the home team a good game. The Spitfire showed flashes of class, and had a decent striker, which proved to be crucial.
An early good cross from the left by James for the visitors went begging; at the other end Williamson set up strike partner Rendell, but his shot was blocked. The home team took the lead on 13 mins with a well-worked goal - Rendell set up Partington on the right and his pass was perfectly into Williamson's path for a crisp finish. Four minutes later McKnight won the ball on the Oxford right and passed inside to Williamson, who scored again as the keeper went the wrong way. The visitors came back and Lopes' shot was deflected not far wide. The visitors had plenty of the ball and caused Eastleigh's defence some problems, but had nobody to finish any chances. They were also quite physical for a young team. Near to half time Hanson had a shot saved and Heap looked to be pushed by Johnson for a clear Us penalty - instead the ball went up the other end and Miley produced a good save by Stevens. HT 2-0.
A bit quieter after the break, with the home team initially more comfortable. Williamson set up McKnight who beat his man but then tried to beat him again rather than shooting, and the chance was gone. But on 52 mins the home team got another goal from a corner (not unusual) as Boyce headed it in. The visitors then again had more of the play, Lofthouse had a long shot over, Sykes' chip was easily saved, but then Berkoe then produced a good shot, well tipped over by Stryjek. On 75 mins Lopes won the ball and unleashed a powerful volley, brilliantly saved by Stryjek. Sub Smart came on for the home team and lit up the game with a couple of efforts, one hit the post and one forced an excellent save from Stevens. There was still time for an unmarked Sykes to head over for Oxford.
No changes at the Silverlake this season, although there is a proper pavement on the southern half of Stoneham Lane, presumably in anticipation of the new Hampshire FA ground. Three players impressed me for Oxford (ones to watch out for): Lopes, Berkoe and Jones.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Jul 16, 2019, 10:28 PM)

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Jul 16, 2019, 11:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 34 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred Cup - Queens Park 1 Partick Thistle 2 (played at Airdrie) - Admission £12 - Programme digital only but teamsheets freely available - Attendance 944

Second of five trips over the border and I must admit that this one has me questioning my sanity as I will have spent around 20 hours on a coach for the round trip from London and I’m doing it all again next Tuesday too. At least the Saturday trips are a mixture of car and train and much shorter as a result.

Anyway, I was rewarded with a very enjoyable encounter that was feisty with six bookings, countless dodgy challenges either missed by the officials or ignored and a couple of very good goals. This was played at Airdrie as Hampden Park is going through a pitch overhaul by all accounts. Also noticeable in this one was a rule change that I didn’t spot on Saturday at Falkirk with goal kicks not having to go out of the penalty area before a defender plays the ball.

Partick took the lead after only 6 minutes and it was a lovely finish from the veteran Kenny Miller, who started the move with a delightful ball out to Tommy Robson on the left who then made tracks before laying it back to Miller to chip the ball from 15 yards into the top left corner. The lead was doubled just after the half hour when Joe Cardle combined with Robson for a headed one two that ended with the latter finding the far corner of the net with a low angled drive.

Queens Park, whose fans were outnumbered with everyone sitting in the main stand (segregated), got a goal back on 56 minutes when a free kick from the half way line from Calvin McGrory came off of what I thought was a defenders head with the ball flying into the top corner. Both Clubs Twitter pages have given it to the home forward Salim Kouider-Aissa although maybe it’s my eyes that need testing yet again.

Despite a very open last half hour, neither side could find the net again and Partick went home with the three points while I make my way back to the bus station in Glasgow for the long trip home. It’s at times like this that I wonder why oh why have Ryanair reduced the flights to and from Scotland to basically nothing apart from Thursday to Sunday inclusive.

(This post was edited by Windy on Jul 16, 2019, 11:33 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 16, 2019, 11:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #8 of 34 (2994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish League Cup Group B
Brechin City 0-4 Ross County
Attendance 300 est (about 60 away fans)
Admission £12
No programme but free team sheet available.

Comfortable win for the Staggies, now 3 levels higher than the hosts after their return to the Premiership and Brechin finding themselves in the basement following their second successive relegation. It took County just over 30 minutes to break City's resistance, a great finish from just inside the box into the top right corner from Ross Stewart, who would double the visitors lead on the stroke of half-time with a neat finish after playing a one-two. Stewart was denied a hat trick early in the second half by own team mate Billy McKay who got the final touch to his goalbound effort on the line. Stewart was soon replaced by Blair Spittal, who added the visitors fourth in the 80th minute when he looked offside. the hosts were denied a late consolation when the visiting keeper dropped a cross into his own net but was adjudged to have been fouled. Rare to see a 7:45 kick off in which the floodlights were never needed.

Glebe Park is a wonderful ground with plenty of character and reminds me of Woking with a modern stand behind the goal much larger than the main stand on the side with a covered terrace at the opposite end and an open terrace on the opposite side. The ground is probably best known for its famous hedge running down half the open side. The other side is also enclosed by a two hedges either side of the main stand. The changing rooms are in a separate building to the right of the stand and has a covered overhang which wouldn't look out of place at a Non League ground South of the border, but sadly this is a no go area to spectators. The covered terrace is angled in the middle into two parts which both face the centre of the pitch.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jul 16, 2019, 11:44 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 16, 2019, 11:52 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #9 of 34 (2976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF. KO 19:30. Admission £3. No programme. Crowd around 120.

Rathfriland Rangers 2 v 3 Newry City

Great little ground at Rathfriland, railed pitch, hard standing, dug outs, seated stand and floodlights. The town centre, high on the hill provides a back drop along with the surrounding hills.

Home side took the lead on 9 minutes and Newry equalised on 19. No further goals in the first half but both sides had good chances to go into the break ahead. Newry took the lead in the second period but Rathfriland leveled and were unlucky to lose to a deflected shot in the last 10 minutes.

Good to get a game in Northern Ireland, played like a competitive fixture rather than a friendly, really enjoyable and without doubt the best game of the tour so far, back to the South tomorrow!

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 1:46 AM

Post #10 of 34 (2889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Knighton Town 0 Westfields 6

Bryn-y-Castell: Pre-Season Friendly

Having not visited Bryn-y-Castell for over 12 months, this match provided me with a second trip to the border club within the space of a week, having watched Knighton Town’s previous pre-season fixture last Tuesday evening. After suffering a 5-2 reverse at the hands of a re-formed Leominster Town in their opening match, the Radnor Robins experienced a baptism of fire against Pegasus Juniors. The Hellenic League newcomers scored three times in the opening five minutes before going on to record a comfortable 11-1 victory against their MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second division hosts. Westfields, just like their Hereford rivals, are preparing for pastures new in the Hellenic League Premier Division, following their lateral transfer from the Midland League Premier Division. The Allpay Park men commenced their preparations for the upcoming campaign with a 4-3 defeat at the hands of step four club Kidlington on Saturday afternoon. On paper, this fixture appeared to be somewhat of a mismatch between an experienced step five English club and young opponents having been promoted to tier for of the Welsh pyramid.

The visitors fielded a mixture of first, reserve and youth team players for this evening's fixture in the Welsh borderlands. Westfields opened the scoring in the sixth minute of the match when Richard Greaves latched on to a through ball before sliding it past the advancing Knighton Town goalkeeper. The Hereford club then doubled their lead nine minutes later when yey pounced on an error in the home rearguard to take advantage t run through on goal and find the net again. Westfields added a third goal following a goalmouth melee just after the half-hour mark but then saw their chances of extending the scoreline denied when a 42nd minute penalty was saved by the Knighton Town goalkeeper. The Radnor Robins managed to keep their visitors from netting again during the opening stages of the second-half of the match but Westfields managed to add three further goals within the space of seven minutes. The ball was played across the home penalty area in the 71st minute before being driven low past the home custodian. A Westfields player ran through on goal to chip the advancing goalkeeper six minutes later and then completed the scoring virtually straight after the kick-off for their sixth goal of the evening.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 66
Matches: 12
New Grounds: 3

Digdagdog
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2019, 6:32 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #11 of 34 (2822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
Anstey Park
Alton 1 Guildford City 2
Admission: £3 No paper Attendance: c.70

New tick for me. Tidy 3G set-up on a nice summer evening which turned really quite cool at the close of play. Step 5 visitors were much better although home side had their moments and a couple of smart tip-overs by the away keeper kept them in the game.
Two very good 1st half goals gave GC control and they never really looked like relinquishing it. Home side worked hard but never quite got going; they were rewarded late on with a scrambled consolation.
Back in 80 via A339/M3/A303/A342

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 29 Goals: 112 GPG: 3.86 New Grounds: 20

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Jul 17, 2019, 6:32 AM)

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 8:11 AM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #12 of 34 (2676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Weymouth Street, Warminster

Warminster Town 0(0) Frome Town 3(1)

Red & Black Striped Shirts/ Black Shorts Blue Shirts & Shorts

Attendance 134

Admission £2 No Programmes

Cheese & Onion Roll £1 Chips £1 Tea 80p

Back up the hill at Weymouth Street. Another glorious evening for watching footie. Frome were comfortable winners but Warminster gave them a good game. Hailston scored two (24’ & 59’) and Smith added a third (75’).

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 17, 2019, 9:28 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #13 of 34 (2567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Womens U19 Finals, Group Game (4pm ko)
Spain v Belgium, 2-0, H.T. 0-0, Att 202, Admission £2, No programme as such (see below), Pie Stall open
At Forthbank Stadium (Stirling Albion FC)

This was a very enjoyable match watched by an appreciative audience at sun-drenched Forthbank Stadium. The ground looked at its best with a UEFA makeover and the backdrop of the Ochil Hills shimmering in a heat haze.

Spain were dominant from start to finish but made heavy weather of getting the win. During the first half they must have had 80% plus possession, peppered the Belgian goal with shots, yet allowed the Belgians the two best chances on the break.

In the second half a penalty, given for an unlucky handball, got them in front and they added a second shortly afterwards. The Spaniards played some great football which was am joy to watch. Belgium were dogged and determined, defended bravely and had the Player of the Match in the shape of their agile goalkeeper.

Everyone was accommodated in the West Stand at Forthbank. 202 would have bene the members of the public in attendance – add in the UEFA Blazer Brigade and assorted others and the total was probably nearer 250.

There were no programmes available to the public. Indeed, there were none available to the blazerati either. However, there is a full-colour tournament brochure / media guide available in advance to those and such as those. I got a look at one and it was very informative. Teamsheets were also in existence but were not being given out to the public – thanks to scottsas for obtaining one for me behind the scenes.

Quite a few groundhoppers around – some of whom will presumably not admit publicly to having attended an age-group women’s game. Shame really, as football is football and this was decent entertainment.

Parking was surprisingly easy – Forthbank can be a nightmare due to the various sports facilities around the area. The town centre is 15 minutes walk away if you take the direct route.

From there it was a 35 minute cross-country drive via Tullibody, Kalibar, Saline, Steelend and Kelty to:

Betfred League Cup Group Game (7.45ko)
Cowdenbeath v Hearts, 0-2, H.T. 0-2, Att 2311, Admission £12, Programme £2.50, Refreshments available, teamsheets available for a donation
At Central Park, Cowdenbeath

Arrived at this in hope rather than expectation. It turned out to be very predictable. Hearts were on top early on, established a 2-0 lead, and then played the game out without really trying to extend their lead. They will be happy to have got the points but they might regret not having pushed on for a few more goals. Craig Halkett’s powerful header and a good finish by Anthony MacDonald were what separated the teams on the night.

Cowden will be content with their second half performance. They are difficult to break down but offered little threat up front despite hard work and a lot of running from their offensive players. Managaer Gary Bollan seems to know what his preferred team line up is and on the basis of what I’ve seen so far they could push towards a promotion play off spot. However, the squad is thin and that could take it’s toll as the season progresses. Cowden’s style may lead to a few suspensions.

The decision to make the game “pay at the gate” paid off. Had it been all-ticket then the crowd would probably have been around 1500. A nice night weather-wise encouraged people out – the queues to get in extended across the car park to the railway bridge at one point. Hearts were allocated the terracing and the old stand with Cowden fans in the New Stand. Cowden took the opportunity to launch their new home kit – a retro style candy-striped homage to their promotion-winning strip of 50 years ago. Sadly I recall it from first time round.

Programme was a normal Cowden issue – lots to read and very informative about club affairs. A lengthy article detailing an ongoing transfer saga involving Cowden and Stenhousemuir was particularly enlightening and did not reflect well on the Ochilview club and how they go about their business.

Good to hear BBC Radio Scotland covering the game as their live commentary – the service provided by BBC Scotland on the wireless is as superb as their television coverage is nauseating. At least they have the good sense to never go to Ibrox however – they haven’t covered a Rangers home game in about five years now following a tantrum from the Ibrox side.

Overall an excellent day’s football. The Women’s Euro provides another double op[ortunity on Friday which I look forward to with anticipation.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 17, 2019, 10:04 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #14 of 34 (2508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF.
Amsterdamsche 2 HVV Hollandia 2.

F-N.
Att 70 odd
Amstel 3 euro.

Much change is taking place at the Goed Genoej home of AFC with new pitches going down on the whole complex and a new clubhouse being built. Very friendly club and a 5 minute walk from RAI Amsterdam metro station. This fixture took place on one of the newly laid surfaces and the only downside was the long walk from the changing rooms but there are worse in the MFL so no major problem.

Only in Holland for 24 hours and drinkers should stay in the "proper" pubs if intending to pay in readies, we ventured over the river on the free ferry to North Amsterdam to visit the Lookout tower and lovely as the whole place is no cash is taken on the site.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2019, 10:39 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #15 of 34 (2459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tony Evans Memorial Shield Semi Final (@ Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd)
Nantglyn 1 Llangynhafl 0
No admission or prog, refreshments were available, raffle £1
Att 170 appx.

A close hard fought encounter between two resolute sides. Chances were at a premium but it was nonetheless very watchable as a competitive game. Hafl's best chance came from a penalty just before half time but it was well saved low down to the keepers right. Nant had the better of the second half creating more openings. The winner came three minutes from the end of normal time. Possession was pinched from a hesitant defence, the ball crossed with the keeper out of position and eventually a shot was fired home at the third attempt in a goalmouth scramble. Hafl tried to level it but never really created enough. Nant were deserved winners I thought. The final will be on Friday v Llandyrnog @ Rhewl

LDC's ground is unchanged as you might expect as it is in a farmers field. It was roped off and the playing surface was once again superb, but especially so when it is in agricultural use for the rest of the year.

Post match was a regular call in at The Colemendy Arms in Cadole. Superb as always with fives ales to choose from

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 17, 2019, 10:44 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #16 of 34 (2450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-Season Friendly
Longlevens (0)2-(3)4 Swindon Supermarine
Entry £3
Att: No more than 40 (didn't count)

Very welcoming Hellenic league club that appears to have been developed all around and seems a bit penned in now by the surrounding hotel, houses and small Industrial Estate/Units so parking is at a minimum. I managed to get a space at the end of the road in a small open unit car park, but very limited otherwise.

A small covered stand on one side with two rows of seats and a number of wooden pillars in the way no matter where you sit or stand in that area it would seem. Looks like you can't access all the way around, only down to one goal at the hotel end.
If you stay in that hotel and get a pitch view, then you'd get a very enjoyable birds eye view of any game going on!!

Clubhouse we were told is a couple of miles away, so a couple of portakabins at the ground for hospitality and changing rooms.

'Marine dominated the first half and if there was a possession stat it probably would have been about 85/15. Eventually their hard work paid off with 3 goals in about 5 minutes shortly before HT.

4 Changes at the half and they switched off at a corner which was gleefully headed home by the Longlevens #2 which gave them a lifeline and sense of belief. 'Marine then continued to make changes and look even more disjointed as the home side pulled another back when a moment of madness from the away keeper saw him come out for a ball and miss it with the home side's #7 looping home on the volley from a tight angle.

'Marine wrapped it up with almost the last kick of the game with a well worked goal. On the night, it probably could have been about 6 or 7-2 but Longlevens battled hard for no reward, particularly in the second half, taking the game to their opponents 2 divisions higher.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 11:08 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #17 of 34 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Montrose 1-0 St Johnstone
Betfred Scottish League Cup, group B
Links Park, Montrose (plastic).
£12 in. Pie £2. Prog £2.50 double-issue also for next Sat v Forfar. Sold out early, but I persuaded a local to part with his. He was happy to oblige - he'll get another on Sat when they've done a reprint.
Att : 688 official.

A revisit I would not normally have bothered with, but gave up a tick in the Strathspey & Badenoch Welfare that I can get another time to instead chauffeur my latest houseguest, up here for this one + Cove Rangers on Wed (for which I went to get just one ticket - he'll have to go to that by himself, I've got the one-off bracketed tick of Clyde borrowing Ochilview to chase that I'm not giving up). Not a poster on here but known to some of you since he goes on the hops to Serbia, Romania etc - Steve Smith from Coventry.

Match 2 for Montrose, who had lost away at Ross County on Saturday. With two top-flight sides in their group, the manager's programme notes realistically described this competition as "allowing us to continue to improve our fitness, as our ultimate goal is to get the boys ready for the first League fixture." St Johnstone's first group match, they having been the idle ones of the five on Saturday, so one would have expected them to be up and at it to get off to a winning start to match Ross County, against opponents two divisions lower. Not a bit of it. Both sides meandering about in the shirt-sleeves evening. Very much the feel of a dreaded PSF. Hardly any goalmouth action. Only came to life when Montrose scored in the 72nd minute, triggering the visitors to finally wake up and step it up a gear and pepper the keeper in search of an equalizer. But Montrose hung on. Much of the crowd (which looked bigger to me than the officially quoted 688) had come up from Perth. They were not happy bunnies on their trudge out of the gates. In stark contrast to the one 'village idiot' Montrose fan who had kept up an admirable solo barrage of verbal support throughout the match despite the turgid fare. He almost burst with excitement at the result and was shouting endlessly on his walk home as he crossed from one footpath to the other side and back again, trying in vain to drum up similar enthusiasm. I'm not sure one man counts as an "army" that he was claiming to be from !

Steve had flown up in the morning whilst I'd been at work. There's now a bus route along the new by-pass, that goes directly from Aberdeen airport to Stonehaven (it also continues to Montrose, and in the opposite direction to Ellon for connections onward to Peterhead etc, cutting out the need to go into Aberdeen centre first). So he had spent the entire afternoon 'enjoying himself' in the Marine Hotel on Stonehaven harbour front, from where I scooped him up after work. Only one on the handpumps there that would have been a tick for me, but at 9% and with a car to drive to Montrose and back home I wasn't going to be having even a half of that one!

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jul 17, 2019, 4:00 PM)

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 17, 2019, 12:57 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #18 of 34 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Spelthorne Sports 2 Ashford Town (Middlesex) 0

Entry - £4. Programme - no. Attendance - h/c 40. Weather - glorious summer evening.

Step 5 v Step 4, but watching this match you could be forgiven for thinking the home side were the higher grade.

Spelly were strong at the back, industrious in midfield and useful up front. They went in front on 16 with a header from no.10 following a free kick. They would have been further ahead at HT if it wasn't for the Ashford keeper, who had a blinder. Ashford did nothing in the first half.

Wholesale changes at half time and through the second half. Ashford started much better but after 15 minutes Spelly gradually assumed ascendancy and scored a deserved second on 68 from their no 19, who found himself alone in the box following a cross. Again the Ashford keeper kept the score down. Ashford had one chance in the whole match, which was blasted over.

Spelly finished a decent 6th last season in the CCL and on this display could do even better this time. Ashford were OK at the back and in midfield but up front they produced virtually nothing. New manager Russell Canderton will need to rectify this.

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Jul 17, 2019, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #19 of 34 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

FC Unsworth 4-6 Elton Vale Reserves

Free entry
Free parking
No teamsheet or programme.
Clubhouse served ale and food.
Attendance - h/c 27

FC Unsworth are a new team for the 19/20 season. They will be playing at 'the den' which is a football pitch marked out on the cricket pitch of Unsworth cricket club.
There is a club house with food and ale available. There are benches around the cricket pitch which actually line up well with the football pitch. The surface is really good.

FC Unsworth are going to ply their trade in the Manchester League (I imagine division 5). Elton Vale play in the Manchester league also but higher up.

The football in the first half was good to watch. The Unsworth front line were really pacy and this caused problems to Elton who were trying to play an offside trap with no linesmen/women/people available. Both teams tried to play the right way however Unsworth did play some long ball but over the top of the defence to the pacy forwards.
The 2nd half was more scruffy, lots of misplaced passes, mistakes and hoofball.
A special mention to how well behaved both teams were. The referee was probably only about 16 years old and got the majority of the decisions correct apart from a couple of offside decisions - he didn't have any assistants to support him though. Both teams were respectful, no dirty challenges, no confrontation, just a game of football played the right way.

(This post was edited by dtr1989 on Jul 17, 2019, 1:55 PM)

Spennyfan_chris
First Team Sub

Jul 17, 2019, 2:10 PM

Team(s): Spennymoor Town FC & Tokyo Verdy

Post #20 of 34 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Shildon AFC 3-7 Spennymoor Town (HT 2-2)

Admission - £5

Nice little trip away to Shildon last night and what a game it was, a 10 goal thriller, it was towing and throwing when it comes to the goals, Shildon got 2 goals very early on in the game (Steel 13' and Robson 17') but Taylor got 2 goals (21' and 39' pen) to make it 2 all at half time, but Shildon got their 3rd goal 6 minutes into the second half (Trotter 51') but Hall got a goal back straight away (52') to make it 3-3 and then the goals kept coming with Cogdon (69' and 72' pen) and then Johnson scoring the 6th and 7th goal on 75' and 77' to make the final score Shildon AFC 3-7 Spennymoor Town

Football Love - Spennymoor Town FC (National League North) & Tokyo Verdy (JLeague Division 2)

Spennymoor Volunteer & Camera-Man

(This post was edited by Spennyfan_chris on Jul 17, 2019, 2:35 PM)

pokal02
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 5:32 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #21 of 34 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred Cup
Alloa Ath 3-3 Elgin C (pens 5-6)
Adm £18 Steak Pie £2.50 Prog £2 Att - haven't seen - looked c.500

I've been very lucky with lack of travel disruption on my trips to Scotland, but my luck creaked a bit here with my London-Edinburgh train cancelled, the Edinburgh - Croy train 5 mins late causing me to miss the Alloa connection (which arrived bang on time) by 1 minute and wait 61 mins for the next, which innevitably was 5 mins late. So it was 6:15 by the time I arrived at the hotel some 2 miles from the ground. In the end. no major damage apart from having only 25 mins in the (rather nice) hotel before it was time to go.

It's a fairly interesting ground with an elevated stand on one side, an older looking ground level stand opposite, and a fairly small covered terrace area behind the near goal. There's a bit of crumbling terrace with grass/moss growing on it behind the far goal, which (English ground graders look away now...) was not out of bounds and indeed was stood on by 50 or so home fans in the first half - spectators can change ends at HT.

An entertaining game for the neutral with chances at both ends before Elgin took the lead on 30 min with a 25-yrad free kick into the bottom left (keeper's right) corner. Alloa equalised with a tap in from a cross on the right on 53, went 2-1 down a minute later when the defence switched off at another free kick leaving a visiting forward unmarked to shoot home. It was 2-2 on 57 with a sharp close range finish and 3-2 to Alloa on 74 with a carbon copy of their 1st goal. Elgin equalised on 88 with a header from a long throw and withstood heavy home pressure for the last few minutes.

So on to pens (amusingly taken at the 'crumbling terrace' end resulting in a 100-yard dash by half the crowd who were behind the other goal). 8 perfect pens, Elgin's 5th saved & Alloa's 5th dragged well wide. 3 more scored then Alloa's 7th saved.

Slightly surprised to be relieved of £18 for this (although can't complain at the entertainment) - I've paid £10 for BetFred Cup ties @ Falkirk and Livingston in the recent past.

The floodlights were switched on for the 2nd half, although they weren't really needed on a bright evening.

SPFL grounds back down to 4 now - I'm not anticipating completion until end of 20/21 (I've only one more Bet Fred Cup game planned - Stenhousemuir on 27th).

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 5:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 34 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Betfred Cup
Alloa Ath 3-3 Elgin C (pens 5-6)
Adm £18 Steak Pie £2.50 Prog £2 Att - haven't seen - looked c.500

Slightly surprised to be relieved of £18 for this (although can't complain at the entertainment) - I've paid £10 for BetFred Cup ties @ Falkirk and Livingston in the recent past.

Surprised to see that Alloa got away with charging £18 - it’s been £12 at Falkirk and Queens Park (played at Airdrie) in the same competition over the past few days. I thought there was a general agreement between all the clubs that they wouldn’t charge more than £12 - I’m sure I read something like that anyway

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2019, 7:16 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #23 of 34 (1906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly
En Avant Guingamp 2 SP Cholet 1 played at Pledran (att 1,200)
6eu admission, no progs

I don't know why English clubs don't adopt the French model of playing pre-season games like this on the grounds of local non-League sides. This was great PR for Guingamp, and it clearly meant a lot to Pledran, with the crowd amounting to about one in five of the population.

The host club, CS Pledrannais, were relegated last season to the third tier of the Brittany leagues. I make that the eighth tier of French football, but bear in mind there's 14 divisions at this level in Brittany alone. The Stade Horizon is a decent ground, with a seated stand and a raised open standing area next to it. There's flat hard standing around all four sides, and two additional pitches, one grass and one 3G. The main pitch is the only one that's not floodlit.

I arrived in Pledran about 5.20pm, and was surprised to see the sizeable car park was already full and the ground was filling up. I'm sure the host club will have done well out of this financially, and it's good to see professional teams helping their neighbours in this way.

It was a good game for a friendly. Cholet took an early lead after they were awarded a penalty for handball. The kick was saved but the rebound converted. Guingamp equalised five minutes before half time, and scored their winner early in the second half.

With a full car park I'd joined others by parking in a nearby street. Returning to my car after the game I spotted what I feared might be a parking ticket, but in fact every vehicle has been given a flyer for Guingamp's next match, on Saturday against Brest in Rostrenen.

On my blog at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...-v-cholet-at-pl.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2019, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #24 of 34 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
FC Unsworth are going to ply their trade in the Manchester League (I imagine division 5). Elton Vale play in the Manchester league also but higher up.

FC Unsworth will be in Div. 2. Divisions 3-5 are just for reserves/development teams. Elton Vale are in Div. 1.

https://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...;;page=unread#unread

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Jul 17, 2019, 8:08 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #25 of 34 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Tuesday 16th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks Bantam! Still getting my bearings with all this.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3