Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Step 3/4 start dates

jefferson
Junior Team Regular

Jul 14, 2019, 10:01 PM

Post #1 of 8 (1526 views)
Shortcut
Step 3/4 start dates Can't Post or Reply Privately

Baffles the hell out of me every year, but is there a good reason why step 3 and 4 clubs are playing pre-season friendlies on August 3rd and 10th with the season kicking off on August 17th?

It seems madness. The EFL starts on August 3rd. All of step 1 and 2 start on August 3rd. Premier League starts on August 10th and the likes of the northern premier are still playing pre-season kickabouts.

Why do they do it? All non leagues at least step 1-4 should just start uniformly on the first weekend in August.

(This post was edited by jefferson on Jul 14, 2019, 10:02 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 14, 2019, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #2 of 8 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jefferson] Step 3/4 start dates [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Baffles the hell out of me every year, but is there a good reason why step 3 and 4 clubs are playing pre-season friendlies on August 3rd and 10th with the season kicking off on August 17th?

It seems madness. The EFL starts on August 3rd. All of step 1 and 2 start on August 3rd. Premier League starts on August 10th and the likes of the northern premier are still playing pre-season kickabouts.

Why do they do it? All non leagues at least step 1-4 should just start uniformly on the first weekend in August.

They do it so that some teams can play 4 matches in a week at the end of the season. I agree with you, it is utter madness that these leagues can't start earlier.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

ChrisHFC
Junior Team Regular

Jul 14, 2019, 11:25 PM

Team(s): Hendon

Post #3 of 8 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Step 3/4 start dates [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Southern and Isthmian Step 3 leagues start on 10th August. The Isthmian certainly has started on the second Saturday of August for a good number of years, not only when they played 42 matches, but also when they played 46; I assume the same is true of the Southern League at Step 3, but I haven't yet had a chance to check back.

The Southern and Isthmian Step 4 leagues start on the 17th August, only because there are a few Step 4 clubs due to play FA Cup Extra Prelimiary matches on 10th August, and both leagues wanted all clubs to start their league campaign on the same date. Biggleswade (SL1C), Cray Valley PM (IL1SE), Hullbridge Sports (IL1N), Chertsey Town (IL1SC), and Slimbridge (SL1S) are relevant clubs that I've spotted, and there may well be more.

I haven't yet checked the position with the NPL, so can't say if the same is true there.

Having explained (hopefully) why Step 3/4 clubs are playing PSFs in early August this season, it doesn't answer the initial question of why Step 3/4 can't start on the first Saturday in August - historical precedent, I suppose - it's worked out OK most seasons before, why change it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chris Rogers
Hendon FC - unofficial historian

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 15, 2019, 6:31 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #4 of 8 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Step 3/4 start dates [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

They do it so that some teams can play 4 matches in a week at the end of the season. I agree with you, it is utter madness that these leagues can't start earlier.

Aside from Easter Monday, there were six midweek games across the 4 isthmian divisions in the final 2 months of last season. There's no need to start 20 team divisions earlier than August 17

jefferson
Junior Team Regular

Jul 15, 2019, 8:03 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Step 3/4 start dates [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Premier is 22 clubs and kicks off August 17th and its clubs (and at step 4) are playing pre season friendlies on August 10th the weekend even the Premier League starts no Fa Cup at step 3 either.

No way that makes any sense, especially when the season finishes in April

(This post was edited by jefferson on Jul 15, 2019, 8:04 AM)

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 15, 2019, 8:28 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #6 of 8 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jefferson] Step 3/4 start dates [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It may not make sense to you, but presumably that is what the clubs want. It's one less week of wages.

jefferson
Junior Team Regular

Jul 15, 2019, 9:37 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Step 3/4 start dates [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It may not make sense to you, but presumably that is what the clubs want. It's one less week of wages.

So it's just about a week's wages? The season already finishes in April to account for that.

How many are going to go to pre-season games on an August Saturday when all the pro leagues have started (therefore no glamour opponent or anything). You're condemning yourself to a poorly attended game, instead of a well attended league game with likely decent weather, and then the extra midweek league game is probably either going to be bad weather or a CL night ergo a smaller crowd.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2019, 1:02 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #8 of 8 (692 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

So it's just about a week's wages? The season already finishes in April to account for that.

How many are going to go to pre-season games on an August Saturday when all the pro leagues have started (therefore no glamour opponent or anything). You're condemning yourself to a poorly attended game, instead of a well attended league game with likely decent weather, and then the extra midweek league game is probably either going to be bad weather or a CL night ergo a smaller crowd.

Two weeks wages saved for the NPL sides. We have 7 midweek games scheduled as opposed to the 3 we had to start with in CONN last season, and are due to complete those by mid-October. Personally, I'm looking forward to a bit more midweek football than in recent seasons.

We're still hoping for a decent attendance v Runcorn Linnets on August 3rd, both being fan owned and not having played each other to this point. We don't expect a league game level attendance, but as well as the football, friendlies are also about making and keeping friends off the pitch.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (957) Kingsway Park Ashland Rovers 2-0 Underwood Villa
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
22/10 Rocester v NKF Burbage
27/10 Floriana v Senglea Athletic

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3