barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2019, 11:33 PM

Post #1 of 11 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Thursday 11th July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hay St Maryís 3 Hereford under-18s 6

Forest Road: Pre-Season Friendly

This was my inaugural visit, of what will no doubt be numerous visits to Forest Road throughout the forthcoming campaign, for the home clubís first pre-season friendly of the summer. Just over two months have passed since I was last at the ground to witness the Saintsí Hay Senior Cup final victory over Herefordshire FA County League First Division club Shobdon on the May bank holiday weekend. Despite finishing third, outside of the regular promotion places, in the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division last term, the border club accepted an invitation to take advantage of a vacancy in the top-flight of the league. Hereford FC under-18s have become regular pre-opponents for Hay St Maryís in recent years. The young Bulls finished mid-table in the Midland Floodlit Youth League Premier Division South last term and would provide a decent challenge for the Saints under the stewardship of former Westfields manager Andy Bevan this term.

The visitors opened the scoring in the ninth minute when a cross from the right side of the penalty area was headed in from close range. Hay St Mary's were back on terms when recent signing Kieran Patel found the net with a close range volley after a 17th minute corner was only partially cleared. The Saints were ahead just three minutes later when strike partner Matty Tong found the far corner of the net with a lethal strike from the left side of the penalty area. The home team extended their advantage nine minutes following the interval when Jack Evans ran on to a well-timed through ball before sliding the ball past the Hereford custodian. The young Bulls halved the deficit courtesy of a close range finish in the 65th minute before levelling the scores seven minutes later after breaking swiftly from their own half of the pitch before firing a powerful drive past James Barker in the Saints' goal. Hereford went ahead in the 82nd minute after a chipped effort over substitute goalkeeper Ben Warn came back off an upright. A subsequent shot was judged to be handled and the subsequent was duly converted. Warn lost the ball on the edge of the penalty two minutes latter and it was eventually swept into an unguarded net. The visitors completed the scoring after catching the Saints on the break in the 87th minute and eventually driving the ball past Warn from the left edge of the penalty area.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 45
Matches: 8
New Grounds: 2

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jul 12, 2019, 12:09 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #2 of 11 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tony Evan's Memorial Shield First Round
Llangynhafl 3 Henllan 2
No admission or prog, raffle £1
Tea bar was open
Att 120 appx.

An excellent game. Half started stronger but only lead late in the half from a penalty and doubled it before the break. Henllan lost their keeper to a second yellow and were soon three down. Queue the comeback as they dominated thereafter and got back to within one and ten aside as Hafl also had a player dismissed. The equaliser was threatened but could not be found.

Another call in at The Colemendy Arms in Cadole after the football, which was as superb as always. Good to bump into John at the game and pub. A very enjoyable evening.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 12, 2019, 12:15 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #3 of 11 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Europa League. KO 19:45. Admission 15 Euro. Programme 4 Euro. Crowd 2000+

St Pat's Athletic 0 v 2 Norrkoping

Great atmosphere at Richmond Park tonight with home the team sadly unable to produce a performance inspired by the supporters. No goals at half time which was hardly a surprise as one shot on target from the visitors was the sum total of decent efforts.

Norrkoping took the lead on 55 minutes and were well on top with the home side finally registering a shot on target in the 70th minute. The visitors second came courtesy of an own goal on 85 minutes and St Pats did force another save from the Norrkoping keeper in stoppage time. It will take a miracle for Athletic to win this tie, their record in league matches is 21 goals in 25 games and you can see why.

Full details of the USA tour is on international hopping.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2019, 2:10 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #4 of 11 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aberdeen 2-1 RoPS Rovaniemi
Europa League Q1L1

Att: 14,377 (41 away)
£24 (main stand)
Prog £3
Prking ticket £30
Tea bar impossible to give money to !

Now with freedom that I didn't have last season, why not pop along to some local Thursday night action, albeit way more big-game fitba than I'm used to. Several reasons why not! Tonight was a reminder of how great grassroots football is :
- £24 a bit steep
- parked in the one remaining spot on a street half a mile from Pittodrie. Returned to find all of us on that road had got parking tickets. Only then noticed the "except on matchdays" sign. Blast.
- stood for 10 mins in the tea bar queue pre-match without it moving. Gave up. People on my row left early at 35min to go get in the queue, thereby missing the opening goal on 36. They only came back just as the HT whistle was blowing. On that whistle I went to immediately queue up again. Only two people serving. And really really slowly preparing teas, spending ages getting the H&S plastic lids on. Ridiculously slow moving. I reckon I shifted only about two yards in 15 mins. All I wanted was one simple pie - how hard is that? No roar yet from the stands, so surely the players still hadn't come back out. My STH mate went to have a look. Oops, no they were just about to kick off in the silence. So abandoned the tea bar queue empty handed. Good job he'd spotted that, since 2-0 came shortly after - many still waiting to be served missed it. Went back at the final whistle to find them throwing loads of unsold pies into a bin bag, but they wouldn't cease and sell me one since "the till's closed now". Utterly ridiculous way to run a business!
On the pitch, RoPS had come to park the bus, but Aberdeen were wasteful with their dominant possession, missing several sitters. 2-0 ought to have been 5-0. So the visitors grabbing a last-kick away goal was a banana skin of Aberdeen's own making. The game in Lapland will now be a more nervy affair than it ought to have been. My mate is going.

And got home to find a speeding ticket for doing 51 on an empty dual carriageway at midnight near Penrith last week. Sigh. Not the best day I've ever had, also with my boss (one of those who looks down his nose at football)having had a pop at me in the office earlier. Hey ho.
Time to win the lottery and tell them to f*** their job.

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Jul 12, 2019, 12:49 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #5 of 11 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre season friendly
Accrington Stanley 2-1 Olympique de Marseille

Played at AJ Bell Stadium, Salford.

Attendance - n/c approx 800
Programme - £1.50
Entrance - £10

One for the groundhoppers and fantasists! I used to work at the AJ Bell doing security but have never been as a punter. The ground is a rugby stadium home to Sale Sharks and Salford City Reds. The occasional football match does take place here. I remember working a game between Skelmersdale and Fylde a few years back. The stadium is 14,000 capacity. The main stand is fully seated with executive boxes. The two stands behind the goal are identical and are both standing.

Marseille had the lions share of the ball in the first half however when Accrington were in possession, they played some excellent stuff including the build up to the 1st goal where the 1st choice Marseille team struggled to cope! The standout player was Dimitri Payet but nobody else for Marseille impressed. The second goal was a penalty following the Marseille left back getting skinned and bringing down the winger.

The second half saw every outfield player changed for Marseille and Accrington made 6 changes mid second half. Accrington still held their own and could of extended the lead. Former Newcastle United player Florient Thauvin pulled one back for the visitors.

APL
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2019, 3:56 PM

Post #6 of 11 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pre season friendly

Programme - £1.50
Entrance - £10

One for the groundhoppers and fantasists! I used to work at the AJ Bell doing security but have never been as a punter. The ground is a rugby stadium home to Sale Sharks and Salford City Reds. The occasional football match does take place here. I remember working a game between Skelmersdale and Fylde a few years back. The stadium is 14,000 capacity. The main stand is fully seated with executive boxes. The two stands behind the goal are identical and are both standing.

Marseille had the lions share of the ball in the first half however when Accrington were in possession, they played some excellent stuff including the build up to the 1st goal where the 1st choice Marseille team struggled to cope! The standout player was Dimitri Payet but nobody else for Marseille impressed. The second goal was a penalty following the Marseille left back getting skinned and bringing down the winger.

The second half saw every outfield player changed for Marseille and Accrington made 6 changes mid second half. Accrington still held their own and could of extended the lead. Former Newcastle United player Florient Thauvin pulled one back for the visitors.

Attendance 1,266

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-2-3

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-6-10-27-173-305-259

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Jul 12, 2019, 11:17 PM

Post #7 of 11 (794 views)
Shortcut

Thursday 11th July 2019
Preseason friendly
Beverley Town 1 East Hull FC 1 played at Longcroft School 3G
Admission free
Headcount approx 20

A chance to tick a new ground close to home not to be missed a caged 3G pitch Not Beverley Town normal ground usually play at Norwood.
Originally supposed to be Bridlington Town as opponents but East Hull of the NCEL stepped into the breach.
A pretty even first half both goals scored close together .
No more goals in the 2nd half though Beverley dominated their higher league opponents.

New Grounds 2019/20 :14
Total Games :19
Total Goals : 61
Av Goals Per Game : 2.95
Last new Ground: 17/09/19 Barking FC 3 Waltham Abbey 4
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1007 Liskeard

Beaver Hateman
Junior Team Star

Jul 14, 2019, 9:32 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Hertford Town

Post #8 of 11 (555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FK Riterai (0) 1 KI Klaksvik (0) 1

As my favourite philosopher Rab C Nesbitt once said: I just popped out for a packet of sausages, and before you know it, itís Tuesday. A succinct and hilarious (to me) comment on how one thing can lead to another. In my own case, and in a no doubt far more mundane fashion: I woke up to a water supply problem and ten days later Mrs H and I touched down in Vilnius.

I donít consider myself an international hopper, but if the opportunity presents itself...well, rude not to. Even better that there were two games that I could take in during our stay, one in Vilnius at the Lithuanian Football Federation Stadium on Sunday and one in Kaunus 50 miles away on Thursday. It seems that three teams share the ground in Vilnius along with the national side, Zalgiris, Vystis and Riterai. Of these, Zalgiris seem to be the best supported.

Plan A was Vystis versus Stumbras on Sunday, but this visit was thwarted when (I think) the away side had their licence to play in the top league withdrawn. To be honest, information was hard to come by. Not only is the Lithuanian language fairly unique, with not that much crossover with English, I found that translation on various websites was hit and miss. At one point I thought I read that Stumbras had been given a monthís grace to the end of July, but this brief raising of my hopes didnít result in any action on the pitch. Damn.
As a result the trip to Kaunas was forgotten, a 20:00 kick off with limited transport back was shelved in favour of a 10 minute stroll from the hotel to the LFF.

Having been thwarted once, I was determined not to miss out again and set about obtaining a ticket for the match on Thursday night. Easier said than done. Once again, the website would only translate certain pages, and ticket information/ instructions remained firmly Lithuanian and non intuitive. In the end, the receptionist in our hotel played a blinder for me, buying me a ticket with her own credit card, but even this was after some difficulty on her part. Top marks to Margarita, who was suitably recompensed and rewarded. Mrs H was particularly chuffed that she was getting an evening away from me.

In the event, tickets were on sale on the night, and the ground (capacity 5067) seemed to be less than a third full.

F K Riterai are a strange club, founded in 2005 in Trakai, 15 miles away, they moved to the LFF earlier this year. They have offices at two addresses in Vilnius, but confusingly are still referred to as Trakai, depending which website you are on.

The ground itself is an unusual affair. Three sided, the main stand has the only cover and houses the offices of the federation. The opposite side is full length open seating, not a great idea in a country that prides itself on its prodigious rainfall. All seats are in a combination of red, yellow and green, the away end was a criss-cross pattern of the colours. This gave me an insight into what the proposed multi-coloured seating at Lionel Road will look like: Migraine inducing.

Multi-coloured seating is apparently meant to make the ground look fuller. I still canít gauge how this will look- the four police officers and one steward at this end outnumbered the away support by five. Hard to imagine the effect when it is obvious that the stand is empty.

As for the game, the first half was fairly even with the sides having an equal amount of half chances. Riterai came the closest to scoring when what was clearly meant to be a cut back from the by-line hit the outside of the near post.

The second half got off to a flyer, as I made my way back to my seat a neat move saw Borovsky fire in across goal from just inside the area. I was perfectly placed and the players ran in my direction to celebrate. I thought I was going to be the focus of the celebratory huddle, but they obviously were in too much awe to involve me in something so undignified, and remained on the pitch to congratulate each other.
The Faroese equalised eight minutes later when Andarsen flicked in from what I think was the gameís only corner. This was met with delight from the four officials far away in the VIP area.

Riterai could have won the game in the last minute of normal time when Moffiís turn and shot rattled off the inside of the right hand post with the keeper well beaten. I note that the Riterai website mentions him scoring. As much as he was the best player on the pitch, he didnít.

Five minutes of injury time couldnít produce any further chances, and they will do it all again next week

This was an interesting, if not particularly exciting experience. Football very much plays second fiddle to basketball in Lithuania, and watching a team playing away from their roots was hardly likely to produce a great atmosphere. A block of flats overlooks the ground near the open end, I didnít notice anyone peek out of their window to see what was going on.

I thoroughly enjoyed my week in Lithuania. It has a fascinating and sometimes horrifying history, lovely people, wonderful countryside and lakes, a town named after a Soviet era power station, a great beer scene and Uzupis, the tongue-in-cheek republic that everyone plays along with is fantastic. However, itís probably not the place to look for a vibrant football experience but I wont let that stop me next time.

Anyhow, back to reality. Mrs H is mithering me to tidy up after the usual devastation I cause when returning from holiday. This could well end up with me taking a job as an apprentice cheese maker in Wigan.

Everyone has the right to be in doubt, but this is not an obligation.

(This post was edited by Beaver Hateman on Jul 14, 2019, 9:38 AM)

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Jul 15, 2019, 5:20 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #9 of 11 (362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Llandyrnog 5-1 Llanfair DC (1-0 HT) at Cae Nant
Llandyrnog Summer League Shield 1st Round
Admission: Free, Programme: None, Raffle: £1, Tea: £1
Attendance: 31 (h/c)

Not very summery weather for this one, with it heavily raining from around the 40th minute or so, fortunately this is one of the few grounds to have some sort of covered stand (two of them in fact) which I took full advantage of. Bit of a weird match, I'd say Llanfair were actually the better side but didn't take their chances and had a horrendous 10 minute spell at the start of the second half where they conceded three goals, a scoreline which they couldn't come back from despite a good amount of effort.

Grounds visited: 297
Last new ground: Mike Riding Ground (Longridge Town)
Next planned fixture: Newcastle U23 v Norwich U23 - PL2D2 - 16/9/19

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 23, 2019, 4:33 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #10 of 11 (170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pre season friendly

Programme - £1.50
Entrance - £10

Also at this one, an unexpected new tick for me. Obviously I would have preferred a competitive match, but the Skelmersdale game alluded to above was, I think, arranged at very short notice so it would not have been possible for me to arrange a trip from London, especially as a hotel would have been needed.
As it was, the early kick-off of 6pm for this friendly allowed me to return home to London the same day. Rather than just take the afternoon off and make a quick dash on a Virgin train, I took the whole day off work and made the outward journey by National Express coach. This enabled me to keep the overall cost of the trip down to the extent that it was actually cheaper than my revisit to Portland United a few days earlier!

The National Express coach arrived in Manchester only about five minutes late and I then used my Freedom Pass to travel on a local bus to Eccles Interchange. As the bus was approaching Eccles, there was an interesting incident when a young boy cycling in front of the bus decided to cycle up a tram platform. He lost control and fell about three feet off the platform onto the street. He seemed unhurt but distressed and a woman came over to ask if he was all right. This did not delay my bus at all, the driver perhaps taking the view "serves him right for cycling like that"

When the bus reached Eccles Interchange, I had a walk of about 40 minutes from there to the stadium. Only the main stand was open to spectators and an attractive ticket was available from the ticket office.
The match programme was a very nice A5 full colour effort with photos of the stadium and an article about it included, although without any mention of Skelmersdale having played there.

One thing that has not been mentioned in the above WDYG reports is that the kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes, perhaps to allow more time for spectators to enter. This wasn't welcome news for me because I had booked the 21.15 train back to London from Manchester Piccadilly. Fortunately I did make this train, but only because I ran for most of the way back to Eccles Interchange rather than being able to walk at a leisurely pace. It was the last direct train back to London, and missing it would have meant changing trains at Birmingham and not getting home until 2am.

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Aug 23, 2019, 4:43 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #11 of 11 (161 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Thursday 11th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Pre season friendly

Programme - £1.50
Entrance - £10

Also at this one, an unexpected new tick for me. Obviously I would have preferred a competitive match, but the Skelmersdale game alluded to above was, I think, arranged at very short notice so it would not have been possible for me to arrange a trip from London, especially as a hotel would have been needed.
As it was, the early kick-off of 6pm for this friendly allowed me to return home to London the same day. Rather than just take the afternoon off and make a quick dash on a Virgin train, I took the whole day off work and made the outward journey by National Express coach. This enabled me to keep the overall cost of the trip down to the extent that it was actually cheaper than my revisit to Portland United a few days earlier!

The National Express coach arrived in Manchester only about five minutes late and I then used my Freedom Pass to travel on a local bus to Eccles Interchange. As the bus was approaching Eccles, there was an interesting incident when a young boy cycling in front of the bus decided to cycle up a tram platform. He lost control and fell about three feet off the platform onto the street. He seemed unhurt but distressed and a woman came over to ask if he was all right. This did not delay my bus at all, the driver perhaps taking the view "serves him right for cycling like that"

When the bus reached Eccles Interchange, I had a walk of about 40 minutes from there to the stadium. Only the main stand was open to spectators and an attractive ticket was available from the ticket office.
The match programme was a very nice A5 full colour effort with photos of the stadium and an article about it included, although without any mention of Skelmersdale having played there.

One thing that has not been mentioned in the above WDYG reports is that the kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes, perhaps to allow more time for spectators to enter. This wasn't welcome news for me because I had booked the 21.15 train back to London from Manchester Piccadilly. Fortunately I did make this train, but only because I ran for most of the way back to Eccles Interchange rather than being able to walk at a leisurely pace. It was the last direct train back to London, and missing it would have meant changing trains at Birmingham and not getting home until 2am.

Hi Chris.

Yes the Skelmersdale/Fylde game has been arranged last minute, I think it had 3 postponements previously due to the pitch at Skem so was moved to a neutral ground.

Forgot to mention the delay in kick off. The reason was due to Marseille arrived late due to traffic. They arrived approx 5.30pm and wanted more time to warm up.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3