First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Karb
First Team Regular

Jul 15, 2019, 1:31 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #76 of 78 (83 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Ronsdog] Twenty Questions #1110 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Is the painting connected to the First World War?

G: Gassed by John Singer Sargent, with a match being played in the background

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jul 15, 2019, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #77 of 78 (74 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Karb] Twenty Questions #1110 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Is the painting connected to the First World War?

G: Gassed by John Singer Sargent, with a match being played in the background

GOAL !!!

I saw this iconic WW1 picture Gassed, close up only a couple of weeks ago and was intrigued by the game being played in the background. I didn't appreciate its significance until I did a little research and turned this up from When Saturday Comes......

“What the fuck is art? A picture of a bottle of sour milk lying next to a smelly old jumper? To me it’s a load of shit. I’d say football is art” – the thoughts of then Aston Villa manager John Gregory, as recorded in Loaded magazine in 1999. In fact Gregory is wrong. Football is not art; it’s an 11-a-side team sport. However, the game has been depicted in pictorial form by various British artists over the last 200 years.

Thomas Webster’s The Football, painted in 1839, shows a group of boys engaged in a boisterous game of rural village football, a full 25 years before the Football Association would codify the game with its first set of official laws and regulations. Previously sketchy cartoons of village football had been fairly common, a style that found an echo in the anecdotal pen-and-ink drawings which sometimes accompanied match reports around the turn of the century.

Football was largely ignored by the art establishment during the first half of the 20th century. Bloomsbury aesthete Duncan Grant produced Football in 1911, a panel painting currently hanging in the Tate Gallery in London, which shows a group of lithe young men in athletic suits engaged in a kind of bucolic gamble, seeming to pay more attention to one another’s muscular physiques than the ball one of them holds casually beneath an arm.

John Singer Sargent’s World War One painting Gassed features a train of walking wounded approaching a trench field hospital, while in the background a football match is taking place with players in full kit and boots. Some critics have claimed that the artist is making an analogy between the horrors of modern warfare and organised sport, in which case Gassed could be the first ever anti-football painting.......

Great strike Karb and over to you.....

https://www.theguardian.com/...inger-sargent-gassed

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Jul 15, 2019, 2:07 PM)

BDA_85
First Team Regular

Jul 15, 2019, 2:10 PM

Post #78 of 78 (61 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Ronsdog] Twenty Questions #1110 [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Very well done both Karb & Ronsdog. The clearest image I have been able to find online is this one: https://biblioklept.files.wordpress.com/...ogle_art_project.jpg
In hindsight, you can appreciate the difficulty Ronsdog had with answering some of the questions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3