Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 6th July.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 8, 2019, 7:22 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #26 of 35 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
PSF @ Thorns Academy 4G. KO 14:00. (F&N). Crowd 42

Cadbury Athletic 1 v 4 Tividale

Standard 4G set up, no railed area to stand in but the official were happy for spectators to be inside the cage, although most watched from outside. The ground is around 25 minutes walk from Lye station.

Tividale scored after 5 & 7 minutes and it looked likely to be a cricket score as they dominated the early stages. However Athletic did improve slightly and withstood the pressure until the 24th and 28th minutes when they conceded again.They were awarded a penalty on 34 minutes and that completed the scoring, although they did hit the bar a few minutes later.

Regular substitutions disrupted the flow of the second half with almost no efforts on target.

That was my school, did they have a blue plaque up with my name on it?

In my day football was frowned upon though so you would not get to use a grass pitch for football and the red gravel all-weather pitch was used for hockey. This was the era when people who liked or played football were seen as scum.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 8, 2019, 12:55 PM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #27 of 35 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Managed to get two games in Saturday. Some of you won't count it as we missed the first 10/12 minutes of the second game, but both games were on the Groundhopper App, so I'm counting them Wink

Both games also at Leisure Centres. Can't really describe RWB as a Football club, it's a multi-purpose sports facility which is also the same for the venue of the 2nd game, which (Beversbrook) played host to Purton FC. Can only assume that Purton are having work done on their ground.

PSF Royal Wootton Bassett 3-3 Radstock Town
Attendance: Around 30 or so.

This game was played on the caged 3G pitch outside of Bassett's main ground where I have played 5-a-side a few times!

Game kicked off eventually, around 7-8 minutes late, which didn't help our cause of getting to the 2nd game in time.

A game of little real quality and much of note. Bassett have signed former Supermarine striker Callum Parsons who played in a much deeper role until the last ten minutes or so.

No stands but a railed off area down one side to view.

Bassett squandered a couple of easy chances to score at 3-1 before subbing on what looked like a competition winner to play in goal for the last 20 minutes and he subsequently conceded two soft goals and the game ended up tied at 3 each.

Hotfooted it the 9 miles/15 minutes to Calne and the Beversbrook Sports Centre to see

Purton FC 3-5 Shrivenham
Attendance: Approx 30 again

This was played on the far pitch behind the caged 3G pitch with a small taped off area for coaches and subs of both teams. No stands or seating area.

Purton were 1-0 up before we arrived before Shrivenham were caught sleeping at the back to go 2-0 down before Half Time.

Shrivenham scored two quick fire penalties in the time it took us to walk back from the Leisure Centre bar to the pitch before Purton who to their credit, tried playing some decent football went back ahead.

Antonio Gerrish then scored twice in a minute to turn the game on its head before Shrivvy wrapped up the game in the last minute. A very hot 2nd game after spending the majority of the game up at RWB under cloudy skies.

Never really had that welcoming feel at Wootton Bassett, but as it's just down the road, it's a handy place to watch Hellenic Football and certainly won't be rushing back to Beversbrook to watch a game "in a field" again.

The Moose
First Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 1:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #28 of 35 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF - PORTLAND UTD 0 WEYMOUTH 4

ADM: £6. PROG: 80p. ATT: 382 announced (h/c of 440)

First outing of the season for me, & another revisit to the charming ‘new’ Grove Corner. I preferred the ramshackled old ground, now underneath an ever increasing industrial stone quarry. In fairness to Portland however, the current ground having been in existence for 25 years now, is starting to feel homely! Nearest station is back across Chesil beach, although there is a bus service that climbs up the heights of the island.

The Muff spent all the first half missing a plethora of opportunities to score. Once they’d been awarded a soft pen in the second period, the floodgates opened with the Terras winning with relative ease. I spent an enjoyable afternoon in the company of Andy D of this very parish, nattering away on the beautiful game. Cracking view from the top grass bank of the sea too. Pleasant way to start the season in the Darzet sunshine.

KRTM :-)

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 8, 2019, 1:56 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #29 of 35 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also managed a double without having to travel too far from the Southern residence...…

10.30am Bournemouth Sports 1 Bashley XI 0 (at Dorset County FA Ground), Att: 20, Admission/Prog: No

A bonus morning game which gave me an opportunity to see what damage the conversion to a 3G venue had done to the home of Hamworthy United. Fortunately the old stand is still in situ and it looked in decent condition, not too out of place amongst the collection of clutter that a 3G semi-cage brings. Spectator access is still nominally available all round the ground, although in several places (especially around the inset areas holding the mini goals) high cage fencing would prevent comfortable viewing. A very young Bashley side held up well against their opponents who were Parley sports but have now merged with Bournemouth Sports and will play at the latter's Chapel Gate facility this coming season. An early free kick led to the only goal in a low-key affair.

3.00pm Portland United 0 Weymouth 4, Att; 392, Admission: £6, Prog: 80p
This was much more lively. A reasonably full-strength Terras side threatened to score a bucketload against their near neighbours and Portland had to rely on poor finishing and some fine goalkeeping to keep the score 0-0 at the break. The second period was a different tale, as Weymouth scored twice around the hour mark before making 11 changes, scoring twice more before the end. Grove Corner is one of my favourite newer grounds and looked a picture in the sunshine, no real changes since the ground was built some 25 years ago, still a splendid view from the top of the grass bank which runs along one side. Good to meet up with The Moose (who it appears has just beaten me to the post). Also a word for the excellent programme sold for a bargain price of 80p, apparently 137 sold.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

coops
First Team Sub

Jul 8, 2019, 3:17 PM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #30 of 35 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Thorns Academy for Cadbury Atletic 1-5 Tividale.

Don't normally bother with 3G cages for pre-season friendlies but a local game was needed as i had a party to go to later.

Pre-season refreshment was taken in the new (to me) Wheely Thirsty micropub in Lye, an outlet for Fixed Wheel Brewery and both the Blackheath Stout and the very strange but drinkable Salted Caramel Ice-cream Pale Ale were on good form.

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 8, 2019, 5:56 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #31 of 35 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Huntingdon Town 0 - 2 St Ives Town
Hunts FA 125 Premier Cup, Group game
Admission £6; prog £1

This pre-season tournament lured me out to see a competitive game rather earlier than usual, and I suspect will keep me occupied for at least the next 2 Saturdays. Celebrating Hunts FA's 125th anniversary apparently.

Was a little concerned about witnessing a mismatch, given Goddy's result against Cambridge C on the same ground before lunch.
Indeed, with two early goals within the first quarter hour, it did start that way, but in fact it was a decent game overall, St Ives certainly on top, but Huntingdon had their moments.

Had expected rolling subs from some of the pre match blurb, but that didn't seem to be applied. There were plenty of substitutions, but all seemed to be fairly standard. St Ives brought on several very young looking players in the second half.

An enjoyable first outing, onward to Yaxley next week.

rambler77
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2019, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #32 of 35 (729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilT] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Didsbury & Chorlton 2-3 Ashton Town
(psf)

@ The Recreation Ground, Brookburn Road, Manchester
Adm: free for myself
Prog: none
Pin Badge: £3

80 ground and match photos can be viewed online @
https://rambler77.zenfolio.com/p771535896

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Jul 11, 2019, 7:17 AM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 35 (462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Friendly
Cleethorpes Town 0 Grimsby Town 8
Att: 1800 Adm: comp (usually £6) Prog: comp (usually £1.50)

Back to business for the Owls after a 10-week break and a bit of a shock to the system! Our League Two neighbours were totally clinical in their finishing and inflicted a real thrashing.

Four goals in each half, with hat-tricks from James Hanson and Max Wright respectively. Clee had their moments going forward, but a poor day on the pitch was compounded by a serious looking injury to defender Paul Walker.

Five new signings on show for the Owls and impossible to make judgement after this outing. However, I have some concerns that, as was the case last year, we are going to be vulnerable to conceding too many goals. Hopefully, there will be a good deal of improvement in the remaining pe-season action.

Off the pitch was a total contrast - Linden coped superbly with a capacity crowd, with bars and BBQ doing a roaring trade. It was certainly a good showpiece for the club!

Yate Town 1-10 Bristol Rovers
Lodge Rd ,Yate
Att:1100

I can beat you in the goals stakes!!!
Great Day at Lodge Rd as our promotion last season meant we played Bristol Rovers' first team rather than a development squad.

Yate only returned to training the tuesday before with most of the squad committing for 2019/2020 and 3 new signings, striker Jake Lee from WSMare, Liam Monelle from Paulton Rovers and new keeper Adam Forster.

Yate were were well in the game for the first 45 minutes , going in 3-1 down at half time with goals from Bennett,Hargreaves and Nicholls for The Gas and a great headed reply from Nick Peare after a pinpoint cross from Jake Lee for The Bluebells.
The deficit should have been reduced when Yate were awarded a penalty after Rovers new Dutch keeper, Stappershoef , cynically brought a Yate player down in the box............Unfortunately Ollie Mehew's spotkick was an exact copy of England's vs the USA in the Women's World Cup.

After the break Rovers changed alln 10 outfield players, whereas Yate made no changes..
The 20 fresh legs, the heat and the extra quality saw Rovers overwhelm their opponents in the last 45 and the extreme quality of their finishing meant we shipped 7 more goals and it could have been 2 0r 3 more, Yate's new keeper having pulled off several quality saves in both halves.

In fairness, Rovers have been back training for a few weeks and used 22 players on the day and Yate simply could not live with the fitness and quality for 90 minutes.

Great day for the club, tho' and signs in the first half that Yate can create some great goal scoring opportunities and that the new signings will add quality.

YateT

royals26

Jul 11, 2019, 10:46 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #34 of 35 (328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF Longburrow

Stokenchurch 2-3 Tring Corinthians
{07 Hellenic 2 South} v {07 Spartan S.Mids 2}

Adm: f & n

Att: Hc 15-20

Directions: Mate 'unavailable' probably drinking in town - other 'chores' took me east out of 'ding - rather than battling through cross-town & river traffic.
I knew the A404(M) had 'issues' and was a mite concerned as to where the SatNav was taking me but it routed me off the A4 and up via Wargrave/Henley/Hambleden/Skirmett. Not too much of a delay and some 'interesting' sights among Regatta crowd. Angelic

Ground is tucked away round behind the church & the Royal Oak - off the A40 - follow signs to Park Lane/Longburrow Hall.

Facilities: Village Hall closed - sports changing rooms only today - meant no 'conventional' loos. Unsure

Pitch in open public area looked like school/nursery in one corner. Surface is very 'curved' across the playing area.

Plenty of parking 2nd car park up behind hall nr the cemetery

Late start approx '5

Match 3 x 30'

First 3rd
1-0
2-0
2-1

approx 10' Break on 30'

2nd brk on 60' plenty of changes especially the visitors who brought on a lot of younger players
Nipped to Tesco's for supplies in this break but it was pretty uninspiring re stock for sustenance.

Third 3rd
2-2
Away no 12 riled by challenge ref 'enforced' another sub but this caused a long delay whilst the respective 'benches' discussed the matter.

Eventually got going again and TC grabbed a winner to much joy near the end - close to 17:00

Return via Xmas Common/Nettlebed etc - indoors well before 18:00h

Chris1963

Aug 2, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #35 of 35 (97 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Saturday 6th July. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
PSF - PORTLAND UTD 0 WEYMOUTH 4

ADM: £6. PROG: 80p. ATT: 382 announced (h/c of 440)

Also at this one, and like the Moose I was making a revisit. It was my third trip to Portland, my two previous visits to Portland having been in March 1993 (Grove Corner) and December 1995 (New Grove Corner)

In the intervening 24 or so years, I had forgotten how dramatic Portland looks when viewed from Weymouth. It's not hard to understand why Thomas Hardy described it as "the Gibraltar of Dorset" and if you look at Wikipedia you will find some interesting facts about the island, including the claim that you are not supposed to say the words "rabbit" or "rabbits" while you are there!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3