2020 Olympic tournament

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 30, 2019, 1:51 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #1 of 2 (425 views)
Shortcut
2020 Olympic tournament Can't Post or Reply Privately

Posting this here as Team GB only entered the Women's competition.

12 teams play in the competition proper:
Japan (hosts)
3 from Europe
2 from N America
2 from Asia
1.5 S. America
1.5 Africa
1 Oceania

The 1.5s are 1 direct qualifier plus a play-off winner.

The 3 European teams have been settled as Netherlands, Sweden and GB&NI. The Oceania team are New Zealand (surprise!) and the direct qualifier from South America is Brazil. The South American representative in the play-off is Chile.

I've no idea how qualification is being done for the other 3 regions.

The GB team will be England with the addition of any players from the 3 other countries who get selected and whose FAs allow them to play. So far I've heard that Scotland are saying they don't support Team GB but won't prevent players from playing if selected.

The really big news, other than the parochial thing of Team GB being allowed in, is that defending champions Germany haven't qualified. They would have made it if they'd beaten Sweden in their WWC quarter final

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 2, 2019, 7:27 PM

Team(s): None

Post #2 of 2 (305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] 2020 Olympic tournament [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Posting this here as Team GB only entered the Women's competition.

12 teams play in the competition proper:
Japan (hosts)
3 from Europe
2 from N America
2 from Asia
1.5 S. America
1.5 Africa
1 Oceania

The 1.5s are 1 direct qualifier plus a play-off winner.

The 3 European teams have been settled as Netherlands, Sweden and GB&NI. The Oceania team are New Zealand (surprise!) and the direct qualifier from South America is Brazil. The South American representative in the play-off is Chile.

I've no idea how qualification is being done for the other 3 regions.

The GB team will be England with the addition of any players from the 3 other countries who get selected and whose FAs allow them to play. So far I've heard that Scotland are saying they don't support Team GB but won't prevent players from playing if selected.

The really big news, other than the parochial thing of Team GB being allowed in, is that defending champions Germany haven't qualified. They would have made it if they'd beaten Sweden in their WWC quarter final

Phil Neville said the squad would include his England players plus the best players from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Not sure which players from the latter two would be considered.

jrev61

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3