Englands Railways and Climate Change

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 29, 2019, 10:08 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 12 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Englands Railways and Climate Change Can't Post or Reply Privately

I very rarely use the rail system. I want to go to Blackpool next week. I would prefer to go by train but I was shocked by the prices. The cheapest ticket I can find because I don't want to be commited to travel on a certain train either there or back is £49.80 for off peak travel.
I have to travel to Crewe. Then I have to change trains and travel to Preston. Then I have to change trains again and I will get to Blackpool. Then I have to get a taxi to my hotel.
I reckon to drive there and back will cost me about £25 in fuel and will be at least an hour faster each way.

Guess which oiption I will take? It's fine people banging on about climate change but unless isuues like this are addressed they can handcuff themselves to as many DLR trains as they like it will make no difference to people like me who use cars. Give us joined up cheap public transport and we will use it.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 30, 2019, 4:41 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #2 of 12 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I recently visited relatives in Scotland. Even committing to specific trains, seats and times I could not get a return from Euston to Dumfries for under £120. The only way I could get the train down into double figures was going from Watford Junction and getting back into Watford at silly, silly o'clock on a Sunday night necessitating a £20+ cab to Northwood, negating any saving overall. Eventually I got the National Express return from London Victoria Coach Station (VCS) to Carlisle. On the way up I got the train from Carlisle to Dumfries (40mins, £6.40) and picked up for the last 20 miles. On the way back I had to go direct to Carlisle as on a Sunday there is no train from Dumfries to Carlisle that would have got me in on time for the 13:20hr National Express to London.

The Coach costs were £19.50 up, £23.50 back, plus £4 for reserving seat 2A each way (yes on certain services there are 12 seats that can be pre-booked).

There is also an overnight National Express from VCS that goes to the ferry at Cairnryan that does a pick up in Castle Douglas, less than half a mile from my parents front door. This coach is £85 return overall. I have used it but not keen on this one. It's 10:30hrs journey time, it picks up at Luton Airport, Coventry, Digbeth, Manchester Airport, Manchester Central, Preston, Carlisle, & Dumfries before getting into CD at 9am. Also as it is an overnight service, on both its comfort breaks there is nowhere open for emergency rations. I believe National Express are trying to kill this service, it used to be a twice daily service leaving VCS at 9 am & pm, getting into CD at 5:15 pm & am at under £50 return.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jun 30, 2019, 7:48 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #3 of 12 (993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Aside from cross London travel using the DLR or Tube I have not used the rails this century and have no intention of doing so.

For trips to Scotland it's cheaper to fly from London Docklands and even when my club reached the dizzying heights of the then Conference it was a third of the cost to use the motor to trips to various shanty towns around Manchester and Leeds.

Even more remote locations ie Barrow, it was cheaper to fly and hire a car to complete the journey.

I was shocked to learn from Spanish visitors that a round trip from Woolwich to Stonehenge using public transport was in excess of £200. Two adults and one child. We drove them and enjoyed the delights of Avebury as a bonus.....all for less than £50 travel cost.

I will not be tempted to use an overcrowded, unreliable service when I can make alternative arrangements and save money.

Such is the state of our broken rail system.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 30, 2019, 9:16 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 12 (970 views)
Shortcut

I used the trains yesterday for the first time in ages as Mrs BB wanted to spend her birthday at Bletchley Park which is almost adjacent to Bletchley Station. It may be some time before I make that choice again !!
Fares were reasonable enough at around £20 return but that restricted us to slow trains operated by London North Western, so it took two hours for the outward journey of 80 miles.
The return journey was something else being a mixture of cancellations, broken-down trains and late running services meaning that it took 4 hours to complete the 80 miles. Website comments suggest that this is the norm for LNW.
A chastening experience......

paulh66

Jun 30, 2019, 10:04 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 12 (954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Advance purchase (even if only the day before) and split ticketing are the money savers. Not that it suits everyone's plans, and not that it ought to be so complex, mind. Wouldn't dream of making an intercity trip without an advance ticket.

I like to mix my longer trips - which are basically back up to Merseyside or football trips nationwide - by train or car. Cost and convenience determine which I choose and, over a year, it probably works out to be a fairly even split between the two. Though I suppose it's only through experience I've got know which trains/routes will save me money. Trains tend to be more relaxing on these longer trips (especially with the free wifi) and, touch wood, are rarely too problematical.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 30, 2019, 10:06 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 30, 2019, 10:15 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #6 of 12 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Iíd like to travel to football by train occasionally, but the fares are so high compared to driving itís just not worth it. Even worse when coupled with the lack of flexibility and the need to book so far in advance.

I often travel between Manchester and London by train for work, and return fares of well over £200 arenít uncommon.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

buncranaboy

Jun 30, 2019, 10:17 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #7 of 12 (943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Relaxing ? Not my experience Mad

paulh66

Jun 30, 2019, 10:32 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 12 (933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was talking about the longer trips with the likes of LNER, Virgin, FGW and even Chiltern up to Brum. Others vary greatly!

kirby knitters

Jul 1, 2019, 7:27 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #9 of 12 (882 views)
Shortcut

And it would have been an experience of a different kind if you had approached Bletchley on the Bedford line as they are using converted stock that once trundled the Hammersmith & City line.

I booked five weeks in advance for Leicester-Glasgow for this coming Saturday at a total cost of £49. A real bargain.

rambler77
First Team Star

Jul 3, 2019, 7:39 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #10 of 12 (677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Englands Railways and Climate Change [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only use the trains vary rarely, but my last two experiences were not that bad.

1) Berwick to Edinburgh

We had a weeks holiday in Berwick in May and the caravan site is at max a 10 minute walk to the station, and the train journey is only 45 minutes.

Advance prices cost under £50 for a return for 4 adults.

2) Leicester to Leeds

This journey was taken on Sunday but advance tickets between the two were expensive and not that convenient. Also I had to get into Leicester itself.

In the end I chose to drive up to Chesterfield, park up for the day and get the train from there. Advance singles were around £5. Much easier and cheaper.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 6:20 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #11 of 12 (509 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The cheapest ticket I can find because I don't want to be commited to travel on a certain train either there or back is £49.80 for off peak travel.

You are being charged more because you require flexibility (a benefit).

In Reply To
I reckon to drive there and back will cost me about £25 in fuel and will be at least an hour faster each way.

You've not factored in the costs of actually buying and keeping the car roadworthy, and legal... plus the cost of your driving lessons, breakdown recovery, etc.

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Jul 10, 2019, 7:28 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 12 (392 views)
Shortcut

When I first started seeing my partner who lives in the Scottish Borders I investigated rail travel as it was 340ish miles away

I could walk to Yate train station but the nearest I could get to her place by train was Berwick , 35 miles away or Carlisle 50 miles away.

The cost of tickets was well over £200 return and some of the journeys were 13 hrs with 1 or 2 changes and then my partner would have had to collect me and deliver me back to the station.

Both flying and driving was quicker, cheaper and more convenient.

In the end I moved up to Scotland!

Long distance Rail travel is long winded and exorbitant with many parts of the UK unconnected..

I occasionally use the Borders railway to and from Edinburgh.........There are rarely enough carriages and the station is over 10 miles away but it's only a tenner return and quite convenient as it terminates at Waverley station......... Apparantly, during the week there are often cancellations.

The Borders railway needs extending down through Hawick down to Carlisle and there are plans for a feasability study funded by the UK Government ( SNP aren't that bothered, apparantly)

(This post was edited by Yatesman on Jul 10, 2019, 7:30 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3