Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday June 29th 2019

penny banner
Youth Team Sub

Jun 29, 2019, 5:36 PM

Post #1 of 20 (3083 views)
Shortcut
Saturday June 29th 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

LYNE v Ascot United. p.s.f. kick off: 11.34 I.M.T. Result: 0-6. Admission & four page programme: free. Attendance: 32 (about half hoppers).

Lyne will be moving in the coming season to share Ascots plastic pitch (when laid) due to their elevation to the misnamed Surrey Elite League. I assume the changing rooms here are too far away from the pitch. The match was what you would expect from a friendly played on a boiling hot day about as close to the end of last season as the beginning of the next. I kept cool quaffing ice cold gin and tonics, but here's the twist, the gin and tonic was already mixed in a can. Now I've seen everything, we live in exciting times. As well as the aforementioned G & T a wide range of food and drink was available for what was also a 'Family Fun Day' One puzzling aspect to the match was that with the thermometer pushing 35 degrees and both teams dead on their feet, a friendly match, and a six goal difference between the teams, why did the referee add on a spurious FOUR minutes to the ninety? I hope people will view Clive Thomas in a kinder light with the sort of nonsense that goes on these days.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 29, 2019, 6:00 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #2 of 20 (3067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Linkoping City 2 Akropolis IF 3
Swedish Division 1 North (Level 3)
Admission 10 Kronor, 8 if bought online and print at home ticket. Programme Free

3rd v 1st at the start of the day, with unbeaten Acropolis winning 10 and drawing 4 of their 14 games. They took the lead on 5 minutes, and added a second midway through the half. Five minutes before half time, Linkoping had a player sent off, and therefore that seemed to be the end of the competition. However 10 minutes into the second half, Linkoping were awarded a penalty which they converted. 3 minutes later they were level, but 4 minutes after that, Akropolis were awarded a penalty, from which they regained the lead. Very good ground for this level. Two identical seated stands run the length of both sides, while behind the far goal 6 rows of seats run for most of the width of the pitch, with terracing either side. Behind the other goal 4 rows of seats run the full width of the pitch, with flat standing behind. Bizzarely, as the teams came out, the stewards told all of the people sitting on the shady side that this side was closed, and everyone had to move to the other side and sit in the heat of the full sun. At half time when the stewards went for their cuppa, 3 lads moved back into the “closed” stand. Others followed, and were left in peace as the stewards weren’t seen again.

Football seen in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Italy Czech Republic, Ukraine, Gibraltar, Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino, U.S.A., Canada, Portugal, and Slovakia.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, Welsh Championship South Division, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2019, 6:18 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #3 of 20 (3046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2.30pm
Manchester Summer Cup, Group C
Total Football 8 AFC Royton 2 (att 13)

I thought my season had finished until I spotted the Manchester Summer Cup. Twenty-four teams split into three groups of eight, ahead of knock of stages, and playing on neutral artificial pitches across Manchester.

By my reckoning I only needed two of the venues, and when planning to visit both for games on Sunday I spotted this fixture had been brought forward 24 hours.

It was played on a 4G pitch at Astley Sports Village in Dukinfield. The ground is home to Dukinfield Athletic of the Lancas & Cheshire Amateur League during the regular season, and they had a few banners around advertising for players.

Nothing remarkable about the venue. It does have a barriered area for spectators along the length of the near touchline, but for a game like this it was easy to wander to the far side. Some hoppers, like me, will have been here when Manchester League Dukinfield Town used it as a temporary venue in 2010/11, but the grass pitch they played on is entirely separate and some distance from the 4G.

Given the heat the slow pace of the game was no surprise. Total Football scored twice in the first five minutes and were far too good for AFC Royton. It was 3-1 by half time, but Royton wilted badly in the final quarter of the game and could easily have conceded more.

Work commitments not withstanding (I'm on call this weekend) I hope to tick off the other required venue tomorrow morning ... and that will be it for 2018/19.

Usual content on my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...ll-v-afc-royton.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jun 29, 2019, 6:28 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #4 of 20 (3022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

pre-pre-season/training friendly
Altrincham Youth v Altrincham 1st team 0-5 (f&n att 60 (est)) (at Jolly Butcher FC

All a bit silly, but this was a seriously competitive game with the youth team asking questions of the "first team', who featured a number of triallists, even though there is probably only one vacancy in the first team squad.

There was a drinks break in each half, but 90 minutes was played, with the goals coming through regular John Johnston on 15, new signing Conor Branson on 45, triallists on 59 and 68 and regular Max Harrop on 80.

I am indebted to Steve B for pointing out that Jolly Butcher of the Altrincham and District League play at the Manchester Health Academy, along with Wythenshawe Amateurs "A" and Altrincham Youth. Nothing too exciting as it's a 4G cage with the side opposite the dugouts available to spectators and railed off, but no cover. Not a problem in tee shirts and shorts weather, although the backs of my legs seem to be sunburned!
The pitch is adjacent to Moor Road Metrolink, although I got the bus from Sale, and ended up walking back. The nearby refurbished Gardeners' Arms (Robinsons) was okay without being anything special with its choice of Unicorn or Unicorn.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Jun 29, 2019, 6:30 PM)

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 29, 2019, 7:32 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #5 of 20 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly
Edinburgh City v St Johnstone Colts, 2-0, H.T. 2-0, Att c.180, Admission £6, Programme £2 (sold out), No catering available
At ORIAM Outdoors Astro (Jack Brydson Arena)

Couldn’t get away until after 1pm today so that limited my choices for matches. Also, given the forecast for torrential downpours later in the afternoon I wanted somewhere with cover.

The chance to see Edinburgh City’s new signings was also attractive. Alex Harris (ex Hibs, Falkirk and most recently (York City) should be a stand out at league Two level. Chris Kane has developed a lot since he was a raw laddie in the Cowden team a few years ago and now looks like a decent player. Both had excellent first half performances as City threatened to over-run a young St Johnstone side.

The second half, played in torrential rain for a large part, was more even as City made a plethora of substitutions. The young Saintees stuck to their task well and although well beaten gave a good account of themselves. They have a troubling looking Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Cup tie coming up against Cove Rangers which will test them to the limit.

City certainly seem to have significant financial backing again this season. They have held on to their main players and added some more quality which certainly is not being done on the basis of gate receipts at Ainslie Park. Discussions are already underway about City’s future status at the ground as they enter the last year of their tenancy agreement with Spartans.

There wasn’t a bad turnout for the game – looked to be between 150 and 200. Thankfully the rain was falling in vertical stair-rods as the stands at Heriot Watt are not much use in the wind. There are three of them but they are only two rows deep – very English Non league in appearance.

City produced a truncated version of their normal match programme and will do so again next week against East Kilbride in two years ago’s City Cup Final.

The Jack Brydson Arena is great for playing and spectating but it does have three major drawbacks – no tannoy, no catering and no toilets. Toilets are not too far away in the main building but the ORIAM café is a 20 minute round trip away. Having paid £6 to watch the game I think it is reasonable to expect the teams to be announced or for the home club to provide line-ups for both teams via twitter.

Take your own pies would be my suggestion for anyone going here. Car parking is easy on a Saturday afternoon but all but impossible midweek.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 29, 2019, 7:49 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #6 of 20 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at the Edinburgh City game and well summed up above.

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Jun 29, 2019, 10:02 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #7 of 20 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Steve.

Where are the fixtures for this?

Thanks

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jun 29, 2019, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #8 of 20 (2606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF @ South Nottinghamshire Academy, Radcliffe. KO 15:00 (F&N). Crowd 10

AFC Villa 2 v 4 East Leake Robins

Standard 3G set up, no railed area inside the cage for spectators but the ref happy for those watching to stand inside the cage. A large grass bank with a few trees and a couple of seats provided a good vantage point and outside of the cage behind the goal in the shade was the coolest spot.

A goal apiece in the first period, Villa taking the lead with a well struck free kick and East Leake equalising with a powerful shot. The visitors went 3-1 up fairly early in the second half and Villa pulled a goal near the end, with ELR getting their 4th with the final kick of the game. Well played both teams in the searing heat.

Summer League Cup Final. KO 19:00. Admission £2. No programme. Crowd around 40, didn't count them.

Doveridge 2 v 0 Red Lion

League leaders Doveridge were clear favourites for this game, so it was a bit of a surprise that we reached half time goalless. Doveridge finally broke the deadlock with a close range header and another strike soon after. Red Lion never really looked likely to score but they did put up a far better performance than was expected.

Also in attendance was APL and Baseball caps of this forum, along with Chris Berezai, also Messrs Blain and Woodhead who were seen sneaking out before the end!

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2019, 10:45 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #9 of 20 (2564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi Steve.

Where are the fixtures for this?

Thanks

Go to the FA Full Time website, then search for Total Football. The Manchester Summer Cup is in the drop down list of leagues.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 29, 2019, 10:46 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #10 of 20 (2557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highland Amateur Cup R3
Point 0-2 Wick Groats

12 noon at neutral Culbokie (actually KOed at 12:08)
f&n, h/c 50

SO glad to be back from a week on business in France. Absolutely blummin' boiling over there, and bitten to death by mozzies. Down the plane steps in Aberdeen to grey, cold, and rain. BLISS!!

Had been looking at a trip on the Aberdeen-Lerwick ferry to do the Shetland derby in this wonderful cup, but the chance of the 3pm bracketed tick trumped it, and was combineable with this 12noon. At neutral venue Culbokie, with an early KO, to allow for Point's ferry journeys from the Western Isles. A 'lie in' for Wick Groats compared to their trek in the previous round though, to the far end of Skye for a morning KO v Barra.

Culbokie is a venue with character. Plenty of red-painted benches line the pavilion-side touchline, offering views of the hills beyond. On the far side by the mesh fence to keep balls off the road there are two banks of high-perched benches, with foot rails - like bar/kitchen stools. Most odd!
Far North and Far West punters were busy slapping on suncream because it was a (to them) heady 24 degrees. A drinks break was even taken. But felt like a pleasant mild experience to me - SO much more comfortable than I had been in France.

I'd seen Point in that previous round, easily disposing of Watten (at Maryburgh), but Wick Groats are a different kettle of fish. This was a close competitive game of good standard. Until the 79th minute, we were still goalless, with neither keeper really having had a save to make. Not through poor attacking, but top-quality defending.
The breakthrough near the end was deserved as Wick Groats were on top at that stage, and 0-2 rubbed it in, perhaps a bigger margin than the actual difference between the teams' performances. But very glad it didn't go to the dreaded ET, therefore allowing a stress-free half an hour drive to :

Highland Amateur Cup R3
Loch Ness 0-5 Pentland United

3pm at Ardersier
f&n, h/c 52

I'd been at Ardersier in the previous round, when it was used by Hill Rovers due to the Bught Park pitches being used for a pop concert. Today Loch Ness had been expelled from Bught by a bagpipes championship - on the drive across this morning there had been several groups of men in skirts stood at the roadside awaiting their coach pick-ups.

Alongside the pitch is a row of houses. I parked on the street, outside one of those, next door to a B&B. No sooner had I done so than a dragon came out shouting "Move yer car!" And a very good afternoon to you too! I was not blocking their driveway, and there were no double yellows, so nope, I don't respond to such impoliteness, whereas a polite request would have been equally politely respected. So out comes the Neanderthal husband, (falsely) accusing me of blocking his driveway. Bldy idiot. "We'll keep a welcome in the hillside" - I don't think so. This pair evidently don't work for the Scottish Tourist Board. No skin off my nose to move a bit further up the road. Watching later from the banking opposite, I saw the wife trying appallingly to get in and out of the gateway, needing to swerve across the area outside the garden fence. Ah - so that was what it was about - utter incompetence to drive straight out of a driveway. I wonder how many of the B&B's customers they've also given such a "welcome" to, to compensate for their own pathetic inability.

Rains came just as we KOed, but there are trees on the far side under which the sizeable travelling contingent and I sheltered to view the action. Although Loch Ness are leading the Inverness & District AFA, Pentland United are the kings of this cup. The only surprise was that it took them 36 minutes to score their first. 0-3 by HT, with the hosts changing tactics in the second period, relying on hacking their opponents to pieces. Remarkable that one assault for which I'd have given a straight red went completely unpunished, especially since there were three officials allocated to this game. The Pentland manager was doing a good job instructing his players to not retaliate nor engage in verbals, with the game already won. Two more on 66 & 73 wrapped it up.

Walking the other way round to exit, I spotted a chalkboard for the tucked-away Gun Lodge Hotel & bar immediately next door declaring it to have Real Ale, so I couldn't resist having a look - one well-kept Orkney ale on.

Home by 7pm.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jun 30, 2019, 10:54 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #11 of 20 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
PSF @ South Nottinghamshire Academy, Radcliffe. KO 15:00 (F&N). Crowd 10

AFC Villa 2 v 4 East Leake Robins

Standard 3G set up, no railed area inside the cage for spectators but the ref happy for those watching to stand inside the cage. A large grass bank with a few trees and a couple of seats provided a good vantage point and outside of the cage behind the goal in the shade was the coolest spot.

A goal apiece in the first period, Villa taking the lead with a well struck free kick and East Leake equalising with a powerful shot. The visitors went 3-1 up fairly early in the second half and Villa pulled a goal near the end, with ELR getting their 4th with the final kick of the game. Well played both teams in the searing heat.

Summer League Cup Final. KO 19:00. Admission £2. No programme. Crowd around 40, didn't count them.

Doveridge 2 v 0 Red Lion

League leaders Doveridge were clear favourites for this game, so it was a bit of a surprise that we reached half time goalless. Doveridge finally broke the deadlock with a close range header and another strike soon after. Red Lion never really looked likely to score but they did put up a far better performance than was expected.

Also in attendance was APL and Baseball caps of this forum, along with Chris Berezai, also Messrs Blain and Moorhead who were seen sneaking out before the end!

Amended to read Moorhead not Woodhead !

hipkissexpress
Reserve Team Star

Jun 30, 2019, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Everton

Post #12 of 20 (1779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-Season Friendly
Chirk Town 0-2 Plas Madoc
F & N
Att: 80 (h/c)

Season 2019/2020 began at Weston Rhyn Recreation Ground as newly formed Chirk Town played their first ever game.

Chirk Leisure Centre is supposedly the clubs official base but there is a possibility this could be their home due to lack of guarantees regards availability of changing rooms. Watch this space as they say.

Regardless it was a chance of a visit to the ground used by the now defunct Weston Rhyn in their Mercian League days.

Chirk played well in patches but in the end the game was a comfortable win for Plas Madoc. If it wasn't for the old rustiness maybe a few more goals would've been scored by the visitors.

A few familiar hopping faces in the crowd.

read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!
http://groundhoppersdiary.blogspot.com/

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2019, 3:24 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #13 of 20 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hipkissexpress] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

The Rock, Cefn Mawr

Cefn Druids 0(0) Wrexham 4(3)

Blue Shirts w Yellow Sash / Blue shorts Red Shirts / White Shorts

Attendance 1,222

Admission (old gimmer) £5 Programme £2 Badge £3

An excellent day out in north-east Wales. My friends and I set off early and arrived in Cefn Mawr late morning. When we arrived the Druids officials and volunteers were busy preparing for the expected big crowd. We purchased our progs and bagged a nearby parking space on Rock Road and then headed off towards the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. Built between 1795 and 1805 the aqueduct carries the Llangollen Canal 126 feet above the River Dee. We conquered our vertigo to walk across the aqueduct, with fine views of Acrefair Youth FC's The Bont Playing Fields down below. We continued on to Froncysyllte and the excellent, GBG listed, Aqueduct Inn where we enjoyed our fish and chips and pints of superb Batham's Best. By the time we got back to The Rock the Red Dragons faithfull had arrived in force and were downing pints of the not so superb Wrexham Lager on offer in the fan zone.

The game proved to be usual pre season fare with the big boys from the Conference running out comfortable winners. They took the lead in the 10th minute when Triallist B was sent clear, ran into the box and fired past the Druids' keeper. In the 18th minute, Triallist C, AKA JJ Hooper was clumsily brought down in the box and picked himself up to convert the spot kick. Four minutes later Triallist C, again, headed in a left wing cross. In the 64th minute Akil Wright headed in a right side corner to round off the scoring. Both sides had a good workout on a very hot and humid afternoon and Druids coffers will have been considerably boosted by the decent turnout, most of whom were supporting the visitors.

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Jul 1, 2019, 3:34 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #14 of 20 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Rock is definitely a ground I want to visit soon.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 1, 2019, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 20 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the 18th minute, Triallist C, AKA JJ Hooper was clumsily brought down in the box and picked himself up to convert the spot kick. Four minutes later Triallist C, again, headed in a left wing cross.

Hooper signed for Wrexham a couple of weeks ago so not sure why he'd be designated a traillist, unless it's to do with the registration (like all other new transfers) not officially kicking in until today.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jul 1, 2019, 3:50 PM)

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jul 5, 2019, 9:59 AM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 20 (714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Freckleton 1-10 Longridge Town....F&N

Arrived early in Freckleton and paid a visit to the memorial for those who lost their lives 75 years ago when an American aircraft killed a large number of lives, mostly school children when it came down by a school, in a bad weather back in the August of 1944.
The ground at Freckleton is an open playing field though the pitch level and is railed on both the long touchlines, with dugouts. Theres a Clubhouse, though I didnt investigate it today and wasnt sure if it was open. Cold drinks were being sold outside on a table they'd set up.

Prematch entertainment was provided by the planes from Warton as the Typhoon aircrafts conducted flight op's, taking off and landing with a bit of manoeuvring thrown in. There was also a Battle of Britain aircraft which passed over on it's way North.

As to the game, Freckleton gave Longridge a game for the first half our but Longridge their gears and shooting boots to run out convincing winners. Freckleton begin this season in the West Lancs League Div 2 and it will be interesting to see how they get on.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

Tim

Jul 22, 2019, 12:47 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #17 of 20 (460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cerrigydrudion 0 Caerwys 4 (PSF) Att: 28 h/c

Enjoyable if somewhat one sided affair, played in good spirit.

The attraction was an unusual venue in at Ruthin Tennis Centre - two pitch job, no football furniture, Good company from Mr Lilliman and Harry and some of his Merry Men.

Borras Park Albion 2 Castell Alun Colts 2 (PSF) Att: 16 h/c

Not the highest quality football I've ever seen, but two well matched sides and thus a watchable contest.

Home for Albion is now St John's Playing Fields in Rhosnesni, also known as the Spider Park. No football furniture, but some nice trees for shade on a hot afternoon.

Chris1963

Aug 6, 2019, 3:35 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #18 of 20 (283 views)
Shortcut

Sweden, Division 2 (Norra Svealand) 2pm

Karlbergs BK 5 FC Gute 0 (H/T 2-0)

Entry – 50 krona

Programme – 4 pages, A5 size, free

Crowd – figure not yet seen but probably just under 200

For the final match of this short stay in Stockholm (it would be nice to have also attended a game on Sunday 30th June but I needed to get back home early) I chose this match as it was the best and easiest option, giving me plenty of time to get back to Stockholm Skavsta (Nykoping) airport for the 21.30 flight back to Stansted. The venue for this game was the Stadshagens IP, a centrally located ground which is only 30 minutes walk from the main railway station. It is next door to Stadshagens metro station and only about 10 minutes walk from the Kristinebergs IP, an athletics/football ground I have previously visited not once, but twice. I had a look at that venue earlier in the day and it has not changed at all in the intervening 30 years, with its pitch still being grass and the steep elevated stand also still there. However, some tennis courts opposite the ground have been converted into a small size 3G football pitch, presumably to use for training during the winter months. It has been used by a huge number of different clubs in Stockholm and I believe it has even been used for top flight football before WW2.

Back to the Stadshagens IP, which does not have cover for spectators but at least it is a proper football ground without an athletics track. The pitch is synthetic and along the full length of one side there are about eight steps of concrete terracing, which looks relatively modern and may have been built as a replacement for older wooden terracing on the same side of the ground. There is no other accommodation for spectators, other than some grass banking in one corner (where shade is provided by one or two trees) and some bench seating for spectators on the same side as the dugouts. The clubhouse and dressing rooms are some distance from the pitch, and gate money is taken from a table close to the pitch. It would not be too difficult for spectators to enter without paying, and I think some people did so via deliberate gaps in the ground’s perimeter fence, which appear to have been constructed to allow pedestrians (but not scooters or motorcycles) to enter the ground at any time. The signage at the ground suggests that the ground is shared between Karlbergs and another club, called Mariebergs SK, who play at a lower level than Karlbergs.

The visitors, FC Gute, are from the island of Gotland and they were poor, going down to a home side who are challenging for promotion. It is conceivable that if Karlbergs are promoted, they might move to the Kristinebergs IP or another of the better enclosed grounds in Stockholm. In any case, the Stadshagens IP is worth a visit as long as the weather is dry, as was the case on all three days I spent in the Stockholm area. After the game I had a leisurely walk back to the main railway station and plenty of time to spare there before catching the airport bus to Nykoping for the flight home.

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 6, 2019, 4:54 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #19 of 20 (263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't the two clubs have individual clubhouses at the ground? I know I went into the Karlbergs one, but I think the other was not open as it was a Karlbergs home game.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Chris1963

Aug 6, 2019, 9:28 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #20 of 20 (209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday June 29th 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a sign saying 'Mariebergs' on a building closer to the pitch than the other buildings, but I didn't investigate further as I thought it was one of the changing rooms. The Karlbergs clubhouse is much closer to the entrance and is rather small. Oddly enough, there was a lot of furniture and junk piled up inside it, which made it difficult for me to have a closer look at the interesting old team photos on the wall.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3