Monday 24th June 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jun 24, 2019, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 4 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Monday 24th June 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Summer League. KO 19:00. (F&N). Crowd 43.
Weston 3 v 2 Legion

After four football free Saturday's it was time to start the new season. One that I hope will be a little less eventful than the last which saw me move home for the first time in 35 years, get stopped for speeding for the first time in 28 years and be diagnosed with high blood pressure and prostate cancer!

Anyway, new start, feeling fit and well and the game tonight was played at Shirley Sports club, which consists of a pitch and a couple of portacabins in a rural setting with fields all around the ground. The pitch is very close to fields of rape seed which had grown to around three feet high and with no fence between them and the pitch there were frequent stoppages for players and the referee to go and find the ball.

Fine entertainment with the visitors breaking the deadlock on 33 minutes and typically coceding the equaliser just two minutes later, to leave the teams level at half time.

As with the first half Legion were the better side with more possession and again they took the lead, this time holding it for ten minutes. With nine left to play Weston broke away and scored the winner, another well taken effort. Good start to the season.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 25, 2019, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 4 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Monday 24th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Llandyrnog & District Summer League : Clawddnewydd 2 Nantglyn 8. Attendance : 30 (hc); f&n

First game since May 24th having had to lie (very) low following an operation to fix a detached retina and having gone stir crazy in that time, I really enjoyed this outing to only my second game in this league and first in ten years.
The Town Crier and catchagogoal accompanied me on the two hour drive to this tiny village a few miles south-west of Ruthin. There's one pub/shop and the Glan Lynn Inn is in the 2019 GBG though only 2 weak offerings from Conwy Brewery were on offer. We'd made good time so I had time for a pub meal while the other pair had a quiet natter.
The Cae Cymro ground isn't too bad at all being above the community centre at the end of the village with a huge car park and facilities for camper vans to hook up for the night. Of course it's basic but there's a huge bank at the far end and the ground has a terrific panoramic view over the valleys and hills below. The community centre is used for changing rooms and has public loos. A burger van on the car park dispensed snacks and hot drinks.
The game was 10th vs 3rd in this eleven team league and they were streets apart with the young home side no match though they did at least net after Nantglyn's third and fourth goals, but this could have easily been double figures.
Really friendly folk and the game played in great spirit...plus the rain stayed away too making this an excellent return to match action.

glossop terrace
Junior Team Star

Jun 25, 2019, 10:10 AM

Team(s): none

Post #3 of 4 (830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Monday 24th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Llandyrnog Summer League match at Henllan which ended in a one nil victory to the visitors Llangynhafal. In an excellent game watched by a crowd of approx 100. This now puts Llangynhafal as favourites for the league. Programme issued and ground covered previously. Also in attendance were John and Huw.

ricardo
Junior Team Sub

Jun 26, 2019, 11:34 AM

Post #4 of 4 (464 views)
Shortcut
Monday 24th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Went to USA 2 Spain 1 in Reims, took the train from Lille and arrived to heatwave weather, ticket for the game was 35 euros as opposed to 24 euros for the game in Valenciennes the previous day,went past the hotel the US team were staying in and crowds of fans outside mobbing the place. Impressive number of American fans there too although they have a decent chance of winning the whole thing if they can get past the hosts France, my only slight gripe was that so few of them can even speak a word of French and assume that English is understood everywhere but obviously that applies to many Brits too. 2 dubious looking penalties gave the US a 2-1 win, fantastic to finally get to the ground, albeit completely rebuilt of Stade de Reims who blazed a trail in European football in its infancy

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3