Yorks vs Warwicks at York

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 18, 2019, 8:49 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 7 (824 views)
Shortcut
Yorks vs Warwicks at York Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, I know there's a 'Where did you go' section, but I thought some things arose from yesterday's play that made it worth posting separately.

As a former York resident, and with friends who are Warwicks members, along with the historic nature of the fixture, this seemed an obvious day out.

There were a huge number of positives to take from an excellent days' play, which perhaps I'll get round to posting in 'WDYG' but the point I'm making is this.

Despite it being a drizzly Monday, it isn't the school holidays, and the fixture is relatively mundane, the attendance was excellent. The 2500-seater temporary stand was 90% full, the hospitality tents busy, and the entire circumference of the ground populated by folk sitting on chairs and benches. Perhaps 3 - 4 000 created an almost festival-like atmosphere.

A similar attendance at either Headingley or Edgbaston would have seemed pathetic as such a relatively small number in a 20K stadium would have seemed sparse indeed.

Yet here was an atmosphere and the game had all the more life for that.

My point is that are visits to such outgrounds the future of the 4-day game? Admittedly not all counties have sufficient grounds, and the quality of wicket and outfield is crucial too - but for those that could, is playing in front of a full if low-capacity venue a better experience for players, spectators and the 4 day game in general than performing in front of a seemingly empty mega-stadium?

Will of course be interesting to see the attendance figures for the second day.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2019, 7:17 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2 of 7 (737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Yorks vs Warwicks at York [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yes, I know there's a 'Where did you go' section, but I thought some things arose from yesterday's play that made it worth posting separately.

As a former York resident, and with friends who are Warwicks members, along with the historic nature of the fixture, this seemed an obvious day out.

There were a huge number of positives to take from an excellent days' play, which perhaps I'll get round to posting in 'WDYG' but the point I'm making is this.

Despite it being a drizzly Monday, it isn't the school holidays, and the fixture is relatively mundane, the attendance was excellent. The 2500-seater temporary stand was 90% full, the hospitality tents busy, and the entire circumference of the ground populated by folk sitting on chairs and benches. Perhaps 3 - 4 000 created an almost festival-like atmosphere.

A similar attendance at either Headingley or Edgbaston would have seemed pathetic as such a relatively small number in a 20K stadium would have seemed sparse indeed.

Yet here was an atmosphere and the game had all the more life for that.

My point is that are visits to such outgrounds the future of the 4-day game? Admittedly not all counties have sufficient grounds, and the quality of wicket and outfield is crucial too - but for those that could, is playing in front of a full if low-capacity venue a better experience for players, spectators and the 4 day game in general than performing in front of a seemingly empty mega-stadium?

Will of course be interesting to see the attendance figures for the second day.

Just got back from day two (a pretty uneventful day's cricket). Announced attendance was 3,021.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 18, 2019, 8:04 PM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #3 of 7 (719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Yorks vs Warwicks at York [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd guess that's still a pretty healthy attendance for a non-holiday Tuesday on a day of potentially dodgy weather.

Didn't hear the attendance on day 1 : one of the few poor things about the day was non-existent PA in the temporary stand.

Did that figure include members - or was it just tickets sold?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 18, 2019, 8:31 PM

Post #4 of 7 (706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Yorks vs Warwicks at York [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know.

I heard somebody say the first day attendance was 3,521. Apparently, BBC Leeds put it at circa 3,250.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2019, 8:03 AM

Post #5 of 7 (565 views)
Shortcut

Yorkshire tweeted the day three attendance "just topped 1,000". Cricket-wise, it sounds like the most interesting of the first three days.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2019, 8:56 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #6 of 7 (556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Yorks vs Warwicks at York [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Yorkshire tweeted the day three attendance "just topped 1,000". Cricket-wise, it sounds like the most interesting of the first three days.

Was that an 'APL' count ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 109 / 92 / 17 / 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 18 / 11 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-0-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2019, 10:23 AM

Post #7 of 7 (544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Yorks vs Warwicks at York [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Was that an 'APL' count ?

Let's not go there! :-) My estimate for the day two crowd was 3,000, so I felt pretty smug when 3,021 was announced.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3