INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 17, 2019, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 9 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 Can't Post or Reply Privately

....two matches in fact.

Peel Croft, the soon to be demolished home of Burton Rugby Club and one time Football League ground, is the venue for the CML Chairman's Cup, Pinxton v Bakewell Town (League cup winners v Divsion 1 cup winners), August 3, KO 3pm.

It'll be preceded by an 'international challenge cup' match, Netherseal St Peter of the Midland Regional Alliance v Garth Vader, Groundhop UK's adopted Sunday League team from somewhere in South Wales, KO noon.

5 admission, 3 concessions, programmes available for both matches.

Details from Groundhop UK.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2019, 1:43 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
....two matches in fact.

Peel Croft, the soon to be demolished home of Burton Rugby Club and one time Football League ground, is the venue for the CML Chairman's Cup, Pinxton v Bakewell Town (League cup winners v Divsion 1 cup winners), August 3, KO 3pm.

It'll be preceded by an 'international challenge cup' match, Netherseal St Peter of the Midland Regional Alliance v Garth Vader, Groundhop UK's adopted Sunday League team from somewhere in South Wales, KO noon.

5 admission, 3 concessions, programmes available for both matches.

Details from Groundhop UK.

Thanks for highlighting this rare opportunity. Will pencil in a visit on the 3rd.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 24, 2019, 7:27 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 9 (2676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Imagine many will do the prestigious 12-00 kick off to enable a tick elsewhere ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 93 / 79 / 14 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 23 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Jul 24, 2019, 8:55 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a programme so it ticks all my boxes

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2019, 9:07 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #5 of 9 (2333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looks like Garth Vader have been replaced by Renishaw Rangers for the midday game, making it a more attractive option.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 28, 2019, 11:31 PM

Post #6 of 9 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It seems Renishaw offered to play in the "Invitational Cup" as a result of this tweet from the league
https://twitter.com/.../1153973497464610817

What happened to the Welshmen (and the "International Challenge Cup") ?

(This post was edited by mick on Jul 28, 2019, 11:34 PM)

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 29, 2019, 2:29 AM

Post #7 of 9 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone looking to do this game using a train to Burton station might want to know that the road in front of the station is closed for 8 weeks. There is still pedestrian access so heading towards the town centre and Peel Croft is no problem - turn right, and 9/10th mile according to Google Maps. Sounds about right to me.
If you do want to use the bus though, turn left out of the station and then head right, down to the stop on Derby Street outside Lidl (3 mins) Most buses from there will take you towards the town centre stops on New Street - 5 mins from Peel Croft. If you want to catch a bus to the stop opposite Peel Croft on Lichfield Street you need service no. 2. (No. 8 service does not go to Peel Croft - Google Maps is wrong on this)
For the drinkers (not me!) finding the bus stop will take you yards from the recently reopened Weighbridge Inn on Millers Lane - opposite the Travelodge. Now Muirhouse Brewery - opens 11.30 on Sats.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 30, 2019, 10:18 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 9 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It seems Renishaw offered to play in the "Invitational Cup" as a result of this tweet from the league
https://twitter.com/.../1153973497464610817

What happened to the Welshmen (and the "International Challenge Cup") ?

Are you suggesting this wasn't a bona fide competitive cross-border fixture ?

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 6, 2019, 10:36 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #9 of 9 (710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Rare match at former FL venue, Peel Croft, Burton - August 3 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Looks like Garth Vader have been replaced by Renishaw Rangers for the midday game, making it a more attractive option.

I agree with you about the first match becoming a more attractive option with the addition of Renishaw Rangers - I attended both games, but would only have done the second if Garth Vader had taken part in the first one. I am not sure about the logic behind Groundhop UK 'adopting' a Sunday team with a silly name, but many thanks anyway to Chris and Laurence for giving us the chance to tick Peel Croft, at least for those of us who missed it when it staged a couple of games in 1989.

One query though; why were Pinxton shown first on the programme, ticket, etc when Bakewell Town come before them in the alphabet? Were Pinxton designated as the 'home' side?

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Aug 6, 2019, 10:37 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3