Sunday 16th June 2019

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 16, 2019, 10:45 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #1 of 10 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 16th June 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

A day at the Ynys Mon 2019 Inter Island Games Tournament, Admission: Free, Tournament Prog: £3

11am Jersey 5 Orkney 0 (at Llangefni Town), Att: 247

An excellent start to the day on one of the better grounds on the island. Jersey were the better side but possibly not by such a clear margin. Kieran Lester scored all four Jersey goals in the first half, a couple of weeks after notching a hat-trick in a 9-2 victory by Parishes of Jersey over the Chagos Islands at Harrogate. The second period was more even although Orkney rarely threatened. Llangefni's ground has changed little since their appearance on the Welsh Alliance 'hop a few years ago, neat stands on either side and substantial cover behind each goal.

2pm Shetland Islands 6 St Helena 1 (at Aberffraw), Att: 462

Hats off to St Helens. An 8,000km journey to get here, having raised £71,000 to cover expenses didn't really deserve a heavy defeat by an efficient Shetlands side who were 5-1 up at the break. St Helena were willing but a little limited, however with just one pitch on the island and this being their first venture into a tournament of this nature you couldn't help willing them to do well. A word also for the brilliant support from the St Helena fans, not sure how many had travelled with the team but they were certainly enthusiastic. Aberffraw's ground has been railed off since my last visit, for an Anglesey League decider. Grass banks on either side provide excellent views and a couple of tiny dugout sized shelters provided minimal shelter which fortunately wasn't needed as we had the best weather of the day.

5pm Ynys Mon 2 Western Isles 1 (at Holyhead Hotspur), Att: 1025

The most competitive game of the three I watched, a strong Western Isles side being a match for the hosts in the first period, surviving several close shaves before taking the lead on half time from a close range header. Ynys Mon pushed forward in the second period and deserved their eventual win with two well-taken goals midway through the half as their opposition tired against a strong wind and squally showers. Holyhead's ground features a 500 seat main stand and a narrow cover alongside for about 100. Their previous ground next door still remains, although it is now looking a little worse for wear despite still being used. An impressive turnout by the locals, no doubt tempted out by free admission. also a good showing by the 'hopping glitterati with numerous familiar faces in attendance throughout the day.

Also a word for the organisation which helped the day go smoothly, despite a couple of technical hitches with the Orkney and Shetland island anthems and who provided free teamsheets to compliment a tremendous A4 tournament programme. Good luck with their efforts to host the 2025 Island Games, they would be worthy hosts.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on Jun 16, 2019, 11:16 PM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 17, 2019, 7:45 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 10 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Sunday 16th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 16th June 2019

11.00 at Llangefni
Jersey Men 5 (Kieran Lester (4) 3, 16, 28, 43, George Gilthero 63); Orkney 0 att 247

1.30 at Holyhead Hotspur
Ynys Mon Women 3 (Lexi Musgrave (3) 5, 65, 89); Western Isles 1 (Beth MacLeod 60) est att 400

1.30 at Gaerwen
Isle of Man Women 3 (Ellie Gawne pen 19, Becky Abbott 47, Sarah Wignall 62); Jersey 2 (Jodie Botterill 22, Rosie Corbett 69) att 115

2.00 at Aberffraw
Shetland Men 6 (Calvin Leask (2) 10, 18, Joel Bradley 25, Richard Arthur (2) 27, 87; Robert Smith 45+1); St. Helena 1 (Ronan Legg pen 32) att 462

5.00 at Holyhead Hotspur
Ynys Mon Men 2 (Melvin McGinness 55, Liam Morris 66); Western Isles 1 (Robert Shirkie 44) att 1,025

7.30 at Cemaes Bay
Alderney Men 2 (Ross Benfield 27, Josh Concanen 69); Hitra 4 (Sindre Saetherbo-Kvakland 25, Eirik Jorgensen 29, Roar Strand-Hansen 44, Sindre Heggen-Johansen 74) att 206

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Jun 17, 2019, 8:25 AM)

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2019, 8:02 AM

Post #3 of 10 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Sunday 16th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sunday 16th June 2019

Alderney Men 2 (scorer? 27, scorer? 69); Hitra 4 (Sindre Saetherbo-Kvakland 25, Eirik Jorgensen 29, Roar Strand-Hansen 44, Sindre Heggen-Johansen 74) att?

Alderney scorers Benfield (27), Concanen (67). Attendance was 206 I believe.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 17, 2019, 8:11 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 10 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Thank you, any idea which Concanen - they have Josh & Steve?

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2019, 8:17 AM

Post #5 of 10 (1324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Sunday 16th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thank you, any idea which Concanen - they have Josh & Steve?

Well spotted. Josh.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Regular

Jun 17, 2019, 9:12 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #6 of 10 (1251 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A day at the Ynys Mon 2019 Inter Island Games Tournament, Admission: Free, Tournament Prog: £3

11am Jersey 5 Orkney 0 (at Llangefni Town), Att: 247

An excellent start to the day on one of the better grounds on the island. Jersey were the better side but possibly not by such a clear margin. Kieran Lester scored all four Jersey goals in the first half, a couple of weeks after notching a hat-trick in a 9-2 victory by Parishes of Jersey over the Chagos Islands at Harrogate. The second period was more even although Orkney rarely threatened. Llangefni's ground has changed little since their appearance on the Welsh Alliance 'hop a few years ago, neat stands on either side and substantial cover behind each goal.

2pm Shetland Islands 6 St Helena 1 (at Aberffraw), Att: 462

Hats off to St Helens. An 8,000km journey to get here, having raised £71,000 to cover expenses didn't really deserve a heavy defeat by an efficient Shetlands side who were 5-1 up at the break. St Helena were willing but a little limited, however with just one pitch on the island and this being their first venture into a tournament of this nature you couldn't help willing them to do well. A word also for the brilliant support from the St Helena fans, not sure how many had travelled with the team but they were certainly enthusiastic. Aberffraw's ground has been railed off since my last visit, for an Anglesey League decider. Grass banks on either side provide excellent views and a couple of tiny dugout sized shelters provided minimal shelter which fortunately wasn't needed as we had the best weather of the day.

5pm Ynys Mon 2 Western Isles 1 (at Holyhead Hotspur), Att: 1025

The most competitive game of the three I watched, a strong Western Isles side being a match for the hosts in the first period, surviving several close shaves before taking the lead on half time from a close range header. Ynys Mon pushed forward in the second period and deserved their eventual win with two well-taken goals midway through the half as their opposition tired against a strong wind and squally showers. Holyhead's ground features a 500 seat main stand and a narrow cover alongside for about 100. Their previous ground next door still remains, although it is now looking a little worse for wear despite still being used. An impressive turnout by the locals, no doubt tempted out by free admission. also a good showing by the 'hopping glitterati with numerous familiar faces in attendance throughout the day.

Also a word for the organisation which helped the day go smoothly, despite a couple of technical hitches with the Orkney and Shetland island anthems and who provided free teamsheets to compliment a tremendous A4 tournament programme. Good luck with their efforts to host the 2025 Island Games, they would be worthy hosts.

Also in Aberffraw for the Shetland Isles v St. Helena encounter. Agree with Andy D that the vocal St. Helena supporters certainly added to the entertainment and it was wonderful when they converted their penalty in the 1st half just as a cricket score appeared to be on the horizon. They certainly steadied the ship in the 2nd half conceeding just the two late goals.

Credit must also go to the competition organisers for the production of an excellent programme and easy availability of teamsheets for the game.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 17, 2019, 6:09 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #7 of 10 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Sunday 16th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Odd one out - I was the only person not in (on?) Anglesey, it would seem.

Portsoy 2-11 Burghead United
Moray Welfare, WJ Tewnion Memorial Cup R1
f&n, h/c 6
The only one of today’s three Moray Welfare fixtures that was a tick for me, so had to be done, even though this cup tie was always going to be one-sided. Portsoy are struggling this season, with a 100% loss record, Burghead United are one of those who will spend the rest of the summer in the top-half, following the mid-season split after last week’s games.
Portsoy Sports Centre is an unremarkable complex on the western edge of town with three pitches. The far LHS one is under-sized, the middle and RHS full-sized. Today’s was in the middle, onto which training-strength floodlights are directed. So I take that to be the usual pitch. When Yorkieexile had done a Portsoy game here earlier this season, he had expected it to be just a revisit but reported it being on the LHS (middle, surely) and as such a pitch tick for him, his previous visit years ago having the game on the RHS. I would expect that it was actually his earlier tick that was the non-usual one.
A sun + wind forecast at home meant I had three loads of washing pegged out on the line before I set off on the 45-minute trip to the coast. But what a difference when I got there. Chucking it down. Not good when I’ve still not shrugged off a chesty flu. The brolly gave a bit of protection, but not much. As the goals went in like a knife through butter, one local had had enough of getting soaking wet through and left before HT. The goals kept going in and at the break it was already 2-10. The hosts’ two had been at 1-2 and 2-5. The ref went into the pavilion at HT whilst both sides stayed out. After four minutes they were lined up and ready to get going again but there was no ref. After a bit more standing around waiting, in a reverse of the norm, a player went in to give the ref a knock. We eventually got going after an 8-minute HT.
Burghead could have had as many as they wanted in the second half, but there was no point in humiliating Portsoy further, so there was no chance of me getting a record score. Only one more was scored in a second half of going through the motions.
So soaked to the skin and sniffly was I that I didn’t even pause at the magnificent New Inn in Aberchirder. I know I must be ill if driving straight past there!, foregoing fine Yorkshire ale, fine Yorkshire folk, and their fantastic Sunday roast beef and Yorkshire puds. Not ill enough to be sensible and stay at home instead of standing out in the rain at footy though! Remarkably, back home it hadn’t rained at all, so getting all the washing on the line had been a good idea. Straight to bed early, on nice clean sheets, in an attempt to get a bit better - after all, there's more footy to stand out in the cold at tomorrow...

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2019, 12:10 AM

Post #8 of 10 (799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Sunday 16th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St Helena 1 Shetland Isles 5

Cae Cynlas: Island Games Men's Football Tournament Group C

This was my first visit to the home of Welsh Alliance Second Division club Aberffraw, who actually play in nearby Ty Croes, rather than the village of the same name as the club. Cae Cynlas is the most basic of the three grounds I visited on Anglesey yesterday, which is unsurprising for a club that has played no higher than its current level, with dugouts present at this fully-railed pitch and only a very small area of spectator cover present. Fortunately, the weather was bright and dry during this match, which helped to appreciate the views in the distance from Snowdonia and especially so for those spectators on the top of the natural banking present on the entrance side of the ground.. St Helena were making their debut in the men's football competition whilst the Shetland Islands, whom finished tenth in the 16-team competition two years ago in Gotland, claimed their only gold medal in 2005 when the Games were played on home turf.

Shetland opened the scoring in the 12th minute with a low 25 yard shot that bounced just in front of the diving St Helena custodian. The Scots doubled their advantage six minutes later when the goalkeeper for the South Atlantic outfit saw his clearance from a backpass charged down and the loose ball was turned into an empty net. A third goal arrived when a St Helena defender swung a leg at a 26th minute corner and the ball was eventually forced home at the far post. Shetland extended their lead further within a minute of the restart following an emphatic header from a corner. Despite playing into a strong wind, during the opening period, St Helena reduced the deficit from the penalty spot after the Shetland goalkeeper brought down an onrushing forward and the conversion was greeted by the largest cheer of the day. But the Scots regained their four-goal advantage from a stoppage time corner and had to wait until the 85th minute for their sixth goal when a Shetland player latched on to a through ball before sliding it past the advancing goalkeeper.

Ynys Mon 2 Western Isles 1

The New Stadium: Island Games Men's Football Tournament Group A

Whereas the two other grounds were new territory for me, I had previously visited the home of Holyhead Hostpur for a midweek Cymru Alliance fixture with Caernarfon Town just over five years ago, and so it was good to visit the New Stadium in daylight. Although the weather started to decline before kick-off as rain and clouds started to move into Holyhead. The New Stadium is a well-appointed ground but will be hosting Welsh Alliance football during the coming campaign after Hotspur were relegated from the Cymru Alliance. The ground has a large seated stand, an area of cover for standing spectators beyond they stand, refreshment facilities and a neat clubhouse on site. The host island finished in eighth place at the last men's football competition and their on gold medal came in 1999 in Gotland. Their Scottish opponents finished eleventh last time out and their best finish was bronze medals in 2005 and 2007.

Despite the hosts creating a number of goal scoring opportunities during the opening period, Ynys Mon were hit by a sucker in the final minute of the first-half, when the Scots broke swiftly down the left and the ball was headed home by Robert Shirke from a tight angle at the far post. The home team were back on level terms 17 minutes after the break when veteran Holyhead Hotspur forward Mel McGuiness saw his cross from the right edge of the penalty are fly over the head of the visiting custodian found the back of the net via the far post. The four-figure crowd was boosted by the equaliser on a wet and blustery afternoon at the New Stadium and had more to cheer eight minutes later. A shot from a tight angle thundered back off the crossbar and the rebound was scrambled over the goal line from close range by Liam Morris. Ynys Mon pressurised the Western Isles defence during the closing stages but were unable to increase their lead as they commenced their campaign on a winning note.

Alderney 2 Hitra 4

School Lane: Island Games Men's Football Tournament Group B

The final match of the opening day of this year's Island Games football competition took place on Anglesey's northern most ground. School Lane had previously hosted top-flight domestic football but Cemaes Bay now found themselves plying their trade in the Anglesey League after the host club had fallen on hard times in recent years. Despite that fact, School Lane could certainly host third tier football during the coming season, although some work might need to be carried out in Bay were to meet the new requirements for that level from the 2020/21 campaign. There is a seated stand on one side of the floodlit pitch and covered areas for standing spectators behind either goal that were all required on a blustery evening in Cemaes. Alderney were participating in only their fifth men's football competition and just avoided the wooden spoon two years ago. Hitra were also making their fifth appearance and had finished in twelfth place last time out.

The wet and windy theme continued at School Lane for the final match of the opening day of competition. Hitra broke the deadlock in the 25th minute when a forward ran on to a through ball before calmly guiding it past the Alderney custodian. The Channel Islanders were on level terms three minutes later after the ball was eventually forced home from a corner. However, the Norwegians were ahead again moments after the restart, when a poor clearance fell to a Hitra forward to run through on goal to score. Hitra extended their lead when the ball was eventually forced over the goal line from a stoppage time corner. Alderney reduced the deficit from a 68th minute free-kick that flew over the head of the Norwegians’ custodian but Hitra netted a fourth goal just six minutes later when the Channel Islanders’ goalkeeper was beaten in a one-on-one situation from close range.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 16
Matches: 3
New Grounds: 2

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Jun 18, 2019, 10:35 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #9 of 10 (547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 16th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I departed at 03:00 & arrived in Anglesey with just the one road closure (M6 J2 to J4) with the A14 surprisingly all open.
I headed for Penmon to get a view of Puffin Island across the water but there was a £3 toll charge so I didn’t bother. I had a brief wander in Beaumaris before stopping off at Llanfair….. (the long named place) to see their ground. I was later advised this was their old ground. I also had a look at the smart ground of Gaerwen.
I parked in the car park for the 1st game.

Jersey 5 Orkney Islands 0 @ Llangefni Town

This was probably my favourite ground of the trip with cover all four sides. 4 floodlight poles each side Fully railed with boards all round & hardstanding. All seats at the ground are blue with a few amber. Both sides have covered seated stands. One is elevated with 4 rows while in the corner are the changing rooms & opposite are 5 rows with standing area behind. One goal has grass area under cover. Other goal has 2 rows covered terracing with a narrow 3rd row. Each corner has a few seats. In corner are 2 portacabins on top of each other.

Sunshine & showers & windy at times.
JER lead 4-0 at h/t with Lester scoring all 4 of the goals. The gk also made three saves to dominate the half. Shots 9-3.
H/t lasted approx 15mins. Almost a shooting gallery this half with JER dominating again. Surprisingly only one goal was added but really double figures should’ve been reached. The woodwork was struck twice while the gk kept out 6 efforts. Shots 14-3.

Monday evening I was unsure which match I would watch so I had a look at Glantraeth’s ground before passing through Aberffraw which included a couple of brief stops to look at the rugged coastline. The ground isn’t in the village. I just about managed to get in a car park across the road from the ground.

St Helena 1 Shetland Islands 6 @ Aberffraw

Fully railed with a couple of areas with h/s path. Grass banking both sides. A bench on one side & behind one goal. A third dug-out was the only cover. Small changing rooms behind one goal.

Mostly sunny but strong wind except at the top of one side of banking in front of bushes.
Another one sided game all over by half-time. SI also went close three times & were denied by gk a couple of times. The wind didn’t help bt SH struggled to get out of their own half. They surprisingly scored when gk brought down forward & the SH fans at least had something to cheer about. Shots 2-16.
H/t lasted under 13mins. Just like the last game only one goal was added to the scoreline. The gk kept out three efforts & one was off target. Shots 3-12.

I then checked into my b&b in Holyhead before heading for the 3rd game. The large car park looked pretty full so I parked in a side street. The ground is next to the leisure centre & you walk past their old ground which is behind one goal. Cover all down one side & a small covered stand opposite.

Ynys Mon 2 Western Isles 1 @ Holyhead Hotspur

4 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed & h/s all round. One side has impressive covered stand with approx ten rows of mostly blue seats & a few in white. To one side is the blue & white clubhouse with club name spelt out in big lettering. To other side up a slight grass slope is covered stand with only your top half open to the elements. Changing rooms behind one goal in corner.

Horrible weather with rain for over an hour & a strong wind. I wore a scarf & gloves & despite being under cover I got quite wet.
YM had a couple of shots saved & had an effort cleared off the line. Just before h/t WI surprised the home crowd with a goal which never looked likely. Shots 7-1.
H/t lasted under 17mins. The 2nd half got a bit niggly as the half wore on. YM equalised then a couple of minuntes later the gk made save. Not long after they struck the bar but the rebound was converted. Later on they hit the post & then in injury time struck it again. Shots 9-1. YM should’ve won by more.

It was typical the shortest gap between games saw this game start late, have the longest h/t break & then over 7 minutes of injury time. I was prepared to miss a few minutes of the 4th game but got out of my car to hear the whistle blow to start the game & seconds later I was inside the ground.

Alderney 2 Hitra 4 @ Cemaes Bay

Sloping pitch with 4 floodlight poles each side. Railed with part h/s path & part small rocks/large stone path. One side has covered stand with a couple of rows of seats. A bus shelter in corner. Behind one goal is covered stand with areas having a raised step. Other goal has cover with a row of terracing. It felt like a home made ground which I liked.

The weather got worse as I got even wetter as the rain continued to swirl around in the strong wind. It was so strong a goal kick had to be retaken as the wind didn’t allow it to leave the penalty box. It also got even colder as I had to put my hat on.
HIT were on top to start with & opened the scoring. ALD equalised 132 seconds later but 68 seconds later HIT had regained the lead. ALD prevented a corner but in doing so assisted HIT their third goal. Shots 3-8.
H/t lasted under 15mins. ALD had an effort cleared off the line before pulling a goal back. HIT restored their two goal advantage with both sides also going close a couple of times. Shots 6-6. Certainly the best game of the day despite the conditions.

The day ended with a stop at a Chinese which sold Sausage & chips in Holyhead close to a McDonalds.

buckielugger
Youth Team Star

Jun 19, 2019, 9:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 10 (352 views)
Shortcut

Best multi game day of football I've been at for a long time, if not ever.

Shows that it is the teams that make the day, not a random collection of grounds.

Special mention to the Hitra girls who did a fine cheerleading job for their men's team and top award goes to St Helena and their wonderful (and very numerous!) supporters. Fantastic afternoon at Bryn Du and real football history made.
Delighted their got a goal. Had a good long chat with some of the St Helenans, remarkable journeys for many of them. I hope they will be able to find the funds to do this again at the next Island Games.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3