Cricket World Cup

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 14, 2019, 9:02 AM

Post #26 of 81 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're probably right, although you'd think it would be in their interests to get a few 'bonus' fixtures (e.g. cancelled games replayed). I wondered if there was anything to do with player welfare in there, such as regulations about how much time there has to be between playing and travelling, etc.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 9:21 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #27 of 81 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think there'll come a time in a few years or so when we can look back at how sport and the coverage of it has developed to see a turning point around about 2010.

Around then, broadcasters started determining when sports fixtures were to be played rather than the other way round.

Sports fixtures became secondarily about the sport itself and more about providing a spectacle to fill air time and sell advertising.

Not just the ludicrous schedule of the cricket world cup, but also

a) Rescheduling of PL and Championship fixtures
b) Moving the FA Cup final to a time that makes it hard for some visiting fans to attend the match and return the same day
c) Changing the date/time of races like the Derby and the Grand National

..and so on.

Whether this is a good thing or not is moot.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2019, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #28 of 81 (1227 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Concerning reserve days and scheduling and all that, surely the point about the alleged logistic difficulty of arranging reserve days is nothing to do with the calendar, travel, rest days and so on.

It's down to the demand by Sky that there shall be just one game a day which they cover live, and that game must be completed in a day to suit their schedules.

I'm not sure that Sky are the big monsters on this occasion. Indian TV is more likely to be pulling the strings this time.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #29 of 81 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Got a spare ticket for NZ vs SA at Edgbaston on Wednesday 19th, cost £40 in members area.
PM if interested.

By the way, a ticket exchange thread may be useful for situations where a poster is left with a spare due to extenuating circumstances.

There is an official ticket resale platform via the ICC. I have successfully sold back 2 tickets.

In Reply To
Concerning reserve days and scheduling and all that, surely the point about the alleged logistic difficulty of arranging reserve days is nothing to do with the calendar, travel, rest days and so on.

It's down to the demand by Sky that there shall be just one game a day which they cover live, and that game must be completed in a day to suit their schedules.

How does that work with the odd day where there are 2 games? Tongue

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 8:33 AM

Post #30 of 81 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wasn't intending to get into the minutiae of spending hours on a spreadsheet sorting out alternative playing schedules.

I was making the point that if the actual playing of the games was the paramount concern, it would be not beyond the wit of schedulers to sort out a format where perhaps you'd have a couple of games on say a Monday, the Tuesday being the reserve day for those games, but also the primary day for 2 more games and so on and so forth.

The competition would be less protracted and there'd be less chance of incomplete games affecting the final stages...2 desirable outcomes.

However, the reality is that playing the games is of secondary concern to the needs of those broadcasting organizations covering them (and I take the point made earlier re Indian TV as well as Sky)

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 1:59 PM

Post #31 of 81 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

I was making the point that if the actual playing of the games was the paramount concern, it would be not beyond the wit of schedulers to sort out a format where perhaps you'd have a couple of games on say a Monday, the Tuesday being the reserve day for those games, but also the primary day for 2 more games and so on and so forth.

There are only ten teams. By the Wednesday you'd need two of Monday's teams to be playing again when, according to you, they could have still been playing on the Tuesday (in another part of the country).

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 4:43 PM

Post #32 of 81 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm not trying to plan an alternative schedule. Certainly it might require a little thought and ingenuity, but not insurmountably.

I am merely trying to point out that a 'one game a day with no reserve days' format for a series of games to decide the world championship of 50-over cricket seems to me to be a daft way of organizing things.

Furthermore, this seems to be arranged for the benefit of the broadcasters rather than for the good of the game and the efficacy of having matches completed rather than a series of 'no results'.

Given that the organizers have had about 18 months to come up with a schedule, I'm disappointed that this is the best that can be achieved.

And 'playing the other side of the country'?

This is England and South Wales, not India or Australia.

Finishing a game on day 1 in say Trent Bridge and then playing the next day at say the Oval is hardly a gargantuan travel arrangement.

But if others think that the current arrangements are the best way of sorting out an all-play-all 10 team competition and that games have been arranged for the good of the sporting contest not the convenience of the broadcasters, then we'll have to happily agree to disagree

John Mills
Reserve Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 6:14 PM

Post #33 of 81 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or

Well, if you think that teams could be expected to play on consecutive days at different locations in order to better serve the 'good of the sporting contest', the we will indeed have to 'happlily agree to disagree'.

Loiner
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 10:58 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #34 of 81 (1051 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Got a spare ticket for NZ vs SA at Edgbaston on Wednesday 19th, cost £40 in members area.
PM if interested.

By the way, a ticket exchange thread may be useful for situations where a poster is left with a spare due to extenuating circumstances.

There is an official ticket resale platform via the ICC. I have successfully sold back 2 tickets.

In Reply To

How does that work with the odd day where there are 2 games? Tongue

There were two games today on Sky. One on the dedicated Cricket channel and the other on the Sky Sports Mix channel.

cope1

Jun 16, 2019, 8:10 AM

Post #35 of 81 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Mills] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think I understand what broodleyhoo is saying, which is that if you scheduled more than one game per day in the first place, you wouldn't need to have teams playing two days apart and, therefore, needing to play on consecutive days in the case of a reserve day taken up.

I'd have thought it would be in the broadcasters' interests to have more matches actually played, but perhaps it doesn't work with their schedules (although given that we're talking about sports channels here, not general channels with endless alternatives I'm not really sure what's so urgent!).

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jun 16, 2019, 12:41 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #36 of 81 (1004 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
my days are filled by radio commentaries

You can watch the matches on the Betfair website, however you need to register and have money in your account.

Talks are taking place to have the final shown on free-to-air television.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48653330

Steelback
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2019, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #37 of 81 (970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It’s only Saturdays that have two games and Afghanistan have featured twice, coincidence?? Probably not as it’s is Star Sports in India who are calling the shots and Afghanistan are probably the team who will draw the smallest audience.

Mind you having attended the SA v Afg game yesterday, if anyone was watching in India then Hashim Amla would have sent them to sleep. Boring would be being kind, tedious and 20 years in the past who would be a better description.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 16, 2019, 6:41 PM

Post #38 of 81 (964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As I am typing this with Pakistan struggling against India, Its looking as if my early prediction about a lot of dead matches towards the end of group is looking accurate.

The top 4 England, New Zealand, Australia and India looks done and dusted after only 4 or 5 matches each have played.

Surely having 2 groups of 5 would have resolved this which meant a shorter tournament. 6 weeks is far too long, or going back to having a super 6 stage like in 99 & 2003 which would have made a better tournament

And Dont get me started on not having rest days as that should have been scheduled in !

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jun 16, 2019, 6:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #39 of 81 (957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I explained in post 19 why two groups of 5 is not viable, its too few games for the Indian TV markets. If you are going to have two groups they have to be of seven.

The dead matches thing might prove accurate but that was hardly inevitable. Many people predicted South Africa and West Indies to challenge for the semi finals, New Zealand's position was hardly a certainty and nor indeed was Australia's really. A ten team cricket league could develop a points gap anywhere in the table, it would just be bad luck if it happened to be between 4th and 5th.

Indeed, New Zealand have yet to be properly tested and England have three tough games to finish.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (215): Cardiff International Sports Stadium (Barry Town United v Cliftonville)

(This post was edited by intheshire on Jun 16, 2019, 7:01 PM)

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2019, 8:50 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #40 of 81 (941 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It’s only Saturdays that have two games

Wednesday 5th June had 2 games - SA v India and Bangladesh v NZ.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 16, 2019, 9:16 PM

Post #41 of 81 (935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I explained in post 19 why two groups of 5 is not viable, its too few games for the Indian TV markets. If you are going to have two groups they have to be of seven.

The dead matches thing might prove accurate but that was hardly inevitable. Many people predicted South Africa and West Indies to challenge for the semi finals, New Zealand's position was hardly a certainty and nor indeed was Australia's really. A ten team cricket league could develop a points gap anywhere in the table, it would just be bad luck if it happened to be between 4th and 5th.

Indeed, New Zealand have yet to be properly tested and England have three tough games to finish.

Its a pity we have to Kowtow to the Indian & sky tv broadcasters in want of a better tournament which I believe the ordinary cricket followers would want.

Surely 6 weeks is too long for a sporting world cup when comparing 5 for rugby union and 4 and a bit for a football world cup,

It was inevitable there would be meaningless matches the way the tournament was organised particularly towards the end of the group matches but it looks as if there will now be several with the top 4 looking already done and dusted!

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jun 16, 2019, 9:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #42 of 81 (930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

New Zealand have only beaten Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Bangladesh so far, although they do look quite strong compared to South Africa, West Indies and Pakistan they haven't actually beaten any of them yet.

Some of the no-results haven't really helped, costing a number of mid-level sides possible wins against the also rans and giving NZ a valuable point against India.

Last Ground (215): Cardiff International Sports Stadium (Barry Town United v Cliftonville)

cope1

Jun 17, 2019, 11:03 PM

Post #43 of 81 (841 views)
Shortcut

If you take ICC ODI ranking points and place them against results so far then Bangladesh move above NZ into the top 4. The top 3 are well ahead, though.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 21, 2019, 9:37 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #44 of 81 (740 views)
Shortcut

Very interesting result at Headingley with Sri Lanka giving themselves a sniff of the semis at least.
England's last three games are against the other members of the top four; more slip-ups not required I suggest. According to the BBC cricket page, they haven't had a CWC win against any of India, Australia or New Zealand since 1992 !
I now await Mr Positive to come on and tell us it's all the fault of Joe Root and David Willey.Sly

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Jun 21, 2019, 10:10 PM)

Steelback
First Team Star

Jun 22, 2019, 7:07 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #45 of 81 (659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Would be that the same David Wiley who’s not in the England World Cup squad? Guess you only know everything when it’s ‘history’ huh

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

buncranaboy

Jun 23, 2019, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #46 of 81 (579 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Would be that the same David Wiley who’s not in the England World Cup squad? Guess you only know everything when it’s ‘history’ huh

I am aware of who is and isn't in the squad - neither David Willey nor David Wiley are in there I know but one of those Davids has been a target for you on many occasions. He may yet get a late call-up should injury affect the squad - I trust you'll be wishing him well Smile

cope1

Jun 24, 2019, 8:00 AM

Post #47 of 81 (500 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone know if there are rules about colour clash in ODI and/or t20 cricket? I see several sides have worn different colours in this year's tournament including South Africa who wore yellow instead of green when playing Pakistan (green) yesterday.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 24, 2019, 11:00 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #48 of 81 (456 views)
Shortcut

Colour clashes haven't caused a problem in almost 150 years of Test cricket. Why would they in limited overs games?

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jun 26, 2019, 10:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #49 of 81 (378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They don't, it is purely aesthetic. It's new in this tournament. It seems fairly inconsistently applied. Afghanistan have blue with different amounts of red trim, and Sri Lanka have blue with different amounts of gold. I think India are wearing orange in the game against England.

However, it is a good thing. While I would never want test or first-class cricket to move away from whites, if you are going to play in coloured kit why not have teams wear contrasting colours?

There's no reason you have to do it, but why not do it? It just adds to the colour, adds to the spectacle for me. Its one of those things in sport that isn't necessary, it just has an upside and no obvious downside (well, not to me at least).

In other news, all that talk of the top 4 being nailed on after 20 games or so was a bit premature, wasn't it?

(This post was edited by intheshire on Jun 26, 2019, 10:27 PM)

kirby knitters

Jul 11, 2019, 6:10 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #50 of 81 (193 views)
Shortcut

New Zealand v England final on Sunday is live on Channel 4.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3