FA Cup 2019/20 - Subtle Step 6 Change!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Cris
Youth Team Star

Jun 10, 2019, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting

Post #26 of 29 (483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] FA Cup 2019/20 - Subtle Step 6 Change! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I've been thinking if a better way to resolve the problem of wanting more clubs entering the FA Cup (eg more Step 6) without the earliest qualifying round being any sooner...

So I've looked at the US Open Cup and also the Coupe de France. In both these, they start the earliest qualifying rounds the previous season with a sort of local qualifying tournament to reach the next stage of the competition.

That seems unworkable here to have an April/May tournament when most seasons there is a big league game backlog.

So, this needs a bit of structure, but here is my basic idea:

There are about 45 relevant County FAs. How about the FA makes them all restructure their local County Cups so one exists just for Step 6 and Step 7 clubs to compete in against each other as County Cups generally are now. The winner of that County Cup is put forward to the FA as the FA Cup Qualifier for that local County FA.

That would spark interest in the County Cup and make it a cup worth winning.

I've not worked out the numbers, so it may be that the Top 1 or 2 maybe in each Step 6 can qualify automatically and the team that gets the furthest in the County Cup that hasn't qualified already can be entered as the Local FA Qualifier.

If a Step 7 club wins that doesn't have a suitable ground / floodlights, then they have to have agreed an alternative ground to play FA Cup ties on, or they can't be put forward.

I included Step 7 as otherwise it wouldn't be a useful County Cup to be in. In very sparse Step 6/7 areas, maybe there would need to be a joint county cup with a neighbouring FA, or maybe the numbers that qualify can vary for big and small County FAs.

I know it needs a bit of work, but that's how USA and France seem to do it, and it would spice up the County Cup at that level, as well as giving more clubs the FA Cup feeling without the need for more rounds.

There are huge differences in the coverage of county FAs and the number of clubs each has as members. It would be much easier to qualify from some county FAs than others. Qualification shouldn’t be based on the luck of geography.

shimtoan
First Team Regular

Jun 12, 2019, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #27 of 29 (288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cris] FA Cup 2019/20 - Subtle Step 6 Change! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There are huge differences in the coverage of county FAs and the number of clubs each has as members. It would be much easier to qualify from some county FAs than others. Qualification shouldn’t be based on the luck of geography.

And yet, to a fair extent, geography plays a role in how many qualify from any given area

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

Cris
Youth Team Star

Jun 12, 2019, 8:38 PM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting

Post #28 of 29 (279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shimtoan] FA Cup 2019/20 - Subtle Step 6 Change! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

And yet, to a fair extent, geography plays a role in how many qualify from any given area

It’s true that the quality of teams at step 5 are better in some areas than others, but I’m not sure I’d go as far as to say geography impacts qualification to a fair extent.

What would impact it to a fair extent is if you were qualifying against a handful of clubs in Herefordshire FA or dozens of clubs in Birmingham FA.

League finish across the board is by the fairest and easiest way to define qualification, another way would be to use those step 6/7/8 clubs who got furthest in the FA Vase in the previous season.

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 13, 2019, 7:31 PM

Post #29 of 29 (193 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] FA Cup 2019/20 - Subtle Step 6 Change! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone involved in AFA football I'd love to see county cup winners entered into the competition. As you say, there would need to be some adjustments in some counties, but it would spark interest.

No AFA clubs would have suitable grounds but there would be no problem finding a suitable venue. I appreciate we don't want clubs ground sharing to climb the ladder but in circumstances such as these I think it's worth allowing.

I'm also a fan of the German system of District Cup into State Cup into DFB Cup so perhaps there could be regional cups introduced above county cups to reduce the amount of tinkering at county cup level.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3