First Team Star

Jun 8, 2019, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #1 of 11 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 8th June 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barry Athletic 1-3 Tata Steel United
South Wales FA Playoffs

Played at Ystrad Mynach, a revisit for me. Barry needed to win this by at least two goals to progress further, whereas a point was good enough for Tata to win the group. After a lively, but goalless first fifteen minutes from both sides, Barry conceeded a free kick just outside the box. The kick was well struck, opening the scoring and by the 19th minute it was 0-3, the second coming after it looked as though Tata were unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty in the build-up. Thereafter, Barry had most of the chances, but poor finishing let them down only scoring once just after the interval. The other talking point from the game came midway through the second half when the Barry keeper came out to try and stop the Tata #9 on a break. He failed to make contact with the ball which had been kicked past him, but took out his opponent. The ref blew his whistle as the ball was rolling towards goal with no-one in a position to stop it, and really should have played on a second or two. The keeper was injured and couldn't continue and also shown a yellow card (it was a clear goalscoring opportunity). Had it been in a higher profile game, or with the result in the balance this would be surely debated more. In the end the best of the later chances (in ten minutes added time) fell to Tata, but their earlier good finishing deserted them.

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 8, 2019, 8:29 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #2 of 11 (2374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Barry Athletic 1-3 Tata Steel United
South Wales FA Playoffs

Played at Ystrad Mynach, a revisit for me. Barry needed to win this by at least two goals to progress further, whereas a point was good enough for Tata to win the group. After a lively, but goalless first fifteen minutes from both sides, Barry conceeded a free kick just outside the box. The kick was well struck, opening the scoring and by the 19th minute it was 0-3, the second coming after it looked as though Tata were unfortunate not to be awarded a penalty in the build-up. Thereafter, Barry had most of the chances, but poor finishing let them down only scoring once just after the interval. The other talking point from the game came midway through the second half when the Barry keeper came out to try and stop the Tata #9 on a break. He failed to make contact with the ball which had been kicked past him, but took out his opponent. The ref blew his whistle as the ball was rolling towards goal with no-one in a position to stop it, and really should have played on a second or two. The keeper was injured and couldn't continue and also shown a yellow card (it was a clear goalscoring opportunity). Had it been in a higher profile game, or with the result in the balance this would be surely debated more. In the end the best of the later chances (in ten minutes added time) fell to Tata, but their earlier good finishing deserted them.

Also at this, well summed up by Dr Love, especially relating to the game's main talking point in the second half, which wasn't the referee's finest moment of the season. All in all though a good way to end the season.

Admission was £2, which included a four page programme. My headcount was around 75.

(This post was edited by gcnc on Jun 8, 2019, 8:56 PM)

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jun 9, 2019, 12:06 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 11 (2105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kinkintilloch Rob Roy 1-1 Beith Juniors (Beith win on penalties)...West of Scotland Cup Final...Adm £8...Prog £[email protected] Irvine's Meadow Park...ko 1430

Arrived via the back roads as the A71 was closed in parts between Killie and Irvine. With time to kill, we took a look round the Harbour area and the views out to the Isle of Arran to the West. No sign of rain anytime soon though showers were predicted at times.

Meadow Park's pitch is still the superb surface I remember from years ago. The first time I went there I had to take a feel of the surface to check it wasnt G3, always stunning. Two new small covered areas are being built, to add to the other two that are now finished.

We had a decent contest today and a good crowd on as well complete with smokes and booze for effect. Rob Roy took the lead on 15 minutes but Beith were level seven minutes later when their No10 headed home. On 33 mins the Beith No7 took the ball into the box having beaten a number of players but his shot came back off the post.
Over the 90 minutes, had it been a boxing match, I'd give it to Beith on points. At the final whistle, it was straight to penalties and it was Beith who won it. Great scenes at the end with a pitch invasion as the smell of pyro's filled the air.
As we left the ground the first spots of rain were felt but there was much much more on the journey South of the Border. Decent afternoons footy.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

hipkissexpress
Reserve Team Star

Jun 9, 2019, 2:02 AM

Team(s): Everton

Post #4 of 11 (2067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Myself and Shotton's finest crossed the Irish Sea for a League of Ireland Division One double header. These plans sound great on paper but the reality is it is a bloody long day! We disembarked the ferry around 1230 and caught the Dart from Connelly for a revisit to The Carlisle Grounds...

3pm Bray Wanderers 0-1 Shelbourne
Admission €15 Programme €3
Att: 1,428

Nothing has changed since my last visit in 2015 though Brian said the ground had changed dramatically since his visit in 1984!! The game was a good watch as Shelbourne cemented their position at the top of the table. The Shels dominated the game for the first hour or so, scoring after 14 minutes but Bray played themselves back into the game and probably did enough to merit a draw.

After a swift pint in the Harbour Bar it was back on the Dart to Seapoint and a brisk walk to...

7pm Cabinteely 2-2 Cobh Ramblers
Admission €10 Programme €3
Att: 250 (est)

This was your cliched game of two halves. In the opening 45 Cobh dominated and played some superb counter attacking football, leading 2-1 at the break. In the second half they barely got out of their own half as Cabinteely pressed them back. The draw was the least the homesters deserved.

Cabinteely groundshare Blackrock rugby club and the ground really does have a temporary feel about it, from a football perspective. I am sure they were getting ready to put the temporary stand on a van at the end of game! All football signage was removed on the final whistle. Definitely felt like the football club are the cuckoo's in the rugby nest.

After a brief drink at W*th*rsp**ns in Blackrock, it was back to the Brew Dock near Connelly to sample some of the best of the Galway Brewery before grabbing a taxi back to port.

Now about to embark on the ferry, then catch the train home. What could possibly go wrong?

read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!
http://groundhoppersdiary.blogspot.com/

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Jun 9, 2019, 8:50 AM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #5 of 11 (1937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hipkissexpress] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Bray.8.25 am Rynair from Liverpool (£51 return.)Then coach 702 from the airport to Bray ( 18 euros return).We had a walk around the town and along the seafront.We sat in the open seats opposite the main stand with the Shelbourne supporters.The flight back at 8-55pm left on time and back home for midnight.

(This post was edited by hotchkiss on Jun 9, 2019, 8:52 AM)

Old Man Manc
Junior Team Regular

Jun 9, 2019, 3:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 11 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hotchkiss] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying Group J
FINLAND 2-0 BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
Tampere Stadium (new ground #277)
Attendance: 16,103
38 Euro
Free Programme & Flag on entry
Match:

My first ever international and I wanted to go to something that was not too obvious. So for reasons that now escape me I find myself some 180km north of the capital on a stormy Saturday evening. Following the obligatory pre-entry search for drinks and weapons I was handed a small flag complete with wooden waving implement and bought a bottle of Fanta complete with lid. Weapons are obviously ok as long as UEFA approved.
Once the sides were announced I expected Besic, once of Everton, and Dzeko, once of Manchester City to be the stars of the evening. Oh how wrong I would be, the hosts on top from the off without creating too much clear cut to start, Skrabb nearly benefiting from a near post scramble on the quarter of an hour mark, it was a well worked corner from the Finns shortly before the break that found full-back Uronen in clear space on the edge of the area, the Genk defender completely missed the ball. I began to wonder if my 0-0 less games run of 77 was coming to an end.
After the break as the rain started, Kamara’s influence for Finland began to grow and it was a deflected cross of his that somehow nearly beat Sehic at his near post; then minutes later the Rangers man found Pukki 40 yards from goal in the middle, experienced centre-half Sunjic committed himself, Pukki made him look stupid and suddenly 30 yards out he was through on goal. He finished as his form this season for Norwich suggests, with ease, 1-0. Cue the heavens opening. It rained! A lot!
Ten minutes after the first it was 2-0, Bosnia pushing forward lost the ball deep in the hosts half, Lod raced clear, played in Pukki who dinked in his second. That folks was that, Bosnia toiled without any real conviction or success and the Finns settled for what they had in the downpour. The hosts could qualify on this performance, keep an eye on them.
Travel etc:
Apart from being at the game this is all I seemed to do, early morning flight from Manchester to Helsinki via Munich, then 2 trains to Tampere. Watch the game, the trains back, 4 hours sleep and the flights back. More time required in Finland.

OLD MAN MANC
Miserable
Old
Mancunian
621 games
281 grounds
England, Wales, Scotland, Norway, Eire, Estonia, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Poland, Germany, Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands, Bulgaria, France, Switzerland, Italy, Finland & Sweden.

Richard Rundle

Jun 9, 2019, 6:13 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Old Man Manc] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another at the South Wales Alliance play-off.

Decent entertainment for £2, but it was a shame that Barry didn't get the first goal as after the three-goal burst in five minutes, the eventual outcome was a foregone conclusion.

Also concur with Dr Love about the incident where the keeper flattened the attacker. The ref had been playing advantage quite well before then and it was a mystery why he didn't this time, if even for a single second. Cue confusuion about who was going to replace the GK after he went off injured, eventually it was one of that rare beast, a quadruple substituion that went in between the posts.

Not as many familiar faces as I expected here given the paucity of other options south of Hadrian's Wall, but I suppose many hoppers have done this venue for a Risca United game.

Won't be able to get to the final promotion game on Monday, so this ends my season. Roll on the UCL/Peterborough & District hop and my first games if 2019-20.

prorege

Jun 9, 2019, 7:27 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #8 of 11 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at:

West of Scotland Cup Final
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Beith, 1-1, 4-2p, Att c.650, Admission £8, Programme £2
at Meadow Park, Irvine

Always interesting if seldom scintillating - two good teams went toe to toe with both more concerned about not losing than winning. I agree that Beith probably just shaded it, although I was rooting for a Rob Roy win.

Watched from the grandstand at meadow Park - the view is not great from many of the seats due to the large supports for the roof. Meadow are in the process of building four smallish shelters around the ground - two opposite the stand, one behind the goal and one on the terracing next to the stand.

Disappointing thaty the West eregion couldn't see their way to playing the final at a more neutral venue and saved us a trip into Ayrshire. Thought there must be an Old Firm game on given the number of mutants wearing Celtic and Rangers strips on the High Street.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 9, 2019, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #9 of 11 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lochee was my only available 'new ground' today but I really didn't fancy a silly o'clock start or, to be honest, the trip itself so a long but straightforward train journey at a more civilised hour brought me into Glasgow in time for a late and liquid lunch followed by an easy jaunt to the evening kick-off nearby...

Euro qualifier
Scotland 2-1 Cyprus
Att 31,277, adm £32 inc £5 booking fee/postage, prog £4

On the plus side this Scotland side showed more than Berti Vogts' boys did on my last visit here for an insipid friendly with Denmark. But when you're keeping the ball by the corner flag to see out time after an 89th minute winner against Cyprus it's clear new boss Steve Clarke has his work cut out to give the Tartan Army a team to enthuse over.

Probably unfair to expect another Souness, Dalglish, Strachan etc to emerge, though if they ever find their likes again as well as a modicum of success then a trip to Hampden would be an enthralling experience. The support is there, and the stirring renditions of Flower of Scotland and especially (at half time) Loch Lomond showed the passion is too. Not that much to get excited about on the pitch until Andy Robertson's howitzer on the hour forced a capable Cypriot team to try to turn their decent possession game into something more potent. Their equaliser on 87 was greeted with understandable jubilation by their 100 or so fans, but nothing compared to the outburst of joy and relief two minutes later when Ollie Burke tapped home the rebound after his own header hit the post.

Absorbing game for this neutral, the usual roller coaster for Scots fans but Clarke will clearly need time to impose his ideas. He does have some talent at his disposal and, with a playoff place already guaranteed thanks to their Nations League exploits, he's got a chance of finally getting them to a finals - one in which Hampden will host a few games, of course.

I like Hampden. It doesn't particularly intimidate the opposition and doesn't have the wow factor of Wembley, but it looks good, works well and certainly doesn't have the pretentiousness or rip off factor of Wembley. I was behind the corner flag about 20 rows up in the east stand and the view from my seat was fine - had I been in the north stand I'd have had to stand for 90 minutes to see the game. Food seemed reasonably priced too (e.g. pies from £2.50).

Took a football special from Glasgow Central for the ten minute train journey to Mount Florida, ten minutes walk from the stadium. Tried to return the same way but the queue for the station was ridiculous so walked onwards for a mile or so to Crosshills - next stop on the same line but no waiting so, on this occasion, probably a bit quicker overall.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 9, 2019, 11:23 PM)

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2019, 10:28 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #10 of 11 (648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highland Amateur Cup days are always looked forward to. Round 2 today.
Initial plans had been for a treble - the mega trek to Uig on Skye for the 10:30am fixture Barra v Wick Groats, followed by 3pm at Sleat & Strath, followed by back to Uig for a 6:30pm in the Skye & Lochalsh league. But S&S's change of venue to Kyleakin scuppered that idea since I've done that particular bracketed-tick previously. And then S&S's got w/o-scr anyway.
Houseguest 1 Veteran needed Brora Wanderers (12noon, 0-3 Kirkwall Thorfinn) and doubled it with Loch Ness 13-2 North Kessock Hotel, 3pm switched to North Kessock (just a revisit for him). But houseguest 2 Yorkieexile and I didn't need Brora W but did need Ardersier, so our double was :

Highland Amateur Cup Round 2
Point (Lewis & Harris) 7-1 Watten (Caithness)
12 noon at neutral Maryburgh
f&n, h/c 30
Western Islanders v Mainlanders usually get played at a neutral venue 'half way', at a time that is guided by ferry timetables. I'm not usually keen on out-and-out 'neutral' uses of a venue that hosts club football, prefering to go there for that (and had already done Maryburgh here). But why not as an aperitif to our afternoon target.
The Maryburgh pitch is an open plateau below the road, from where the elevated footpath and park benches provide a good view. There's a drop down the far side, that requires some effort to go fetch the ball back.
It was clear before a ball was kicked who was going to win this one. Point came out in smart training tops and did an organized routine of prep. Watten ambled out, not all 'football-player-shaped', in odds and sods T-shirts, and larked about a bit.
Sure enough, only 70 seconds were on the stopwatch when the first went in. A Watten defender gave a short pass to his keeper, who fumbled it, the forward nicking in to take it off his toes, round him, and into the empty net. 2-0 on 14, 3-0 on 21, 4-0 after 36. Watten's manager / centre half / sponsor (he owns a quarry) was absent with cracked ribs. His deputy manager wasn't amused with his side's performance and verbally laid into them. The ref came across and had a quiet word with him not to have a go at them - they were clearly outclassed. Nice touch by the official.
Amusing at HT to hear the many (separate) discussions amongst groups of Watten players, all convinced that "if only you'd done X, we'd be winning". Erm, I don't think so. The keeper took the pause as a chance to have a fag break.
5-0 on 60 and 6-0 after 65, then Point eased off. Just as Yorkieexile opined "I do hope Watten get a goal", on cue they threw in a hopeful cross and the Point number 4 deflected it past his keeper for an oggie 6-1. Time for one more in the last minute as the drizzle was beginning. A prompt whistle meant we were back in the car just in time to escape the heavier rain.

Only half an hour or so to match 2, so we paused for a bit of brekkie which the café manageress at Inverness business park Tesco's assured us would take "ten minutes or less" to be prepared. When it still hadn't come out of the kitchen 30 minutes later, Yorkieexile was having kittens that we might miss KO. No problem - it didn't touch the sides on the way down and we made it with 2 minutes to spare Shocked. Moral of the tale - never trust a Tesco café manageress.

Highland Amateur Cup Round 2
Hill Rovers (Inverness & District) 1-5 Lochinver (NW Sutherland)
3pm at Ardersier
f&n, h/c 28
Although also at a not-either-club's venue, this isn't categorized as a neutral venue, rather a Hill Rovers home match at a not-their-usual venue, so does count as a chaseworthy bracketed tick in my book. Hill Rovers are one of many who normally play on the Bught Park multi-pitches complex, but there was an open-air Noel Gallagher concert in that park today, so both the I&DFA clubs who were due to host there had to have alternative venues - this one, plus Veteran's Loch Ness game. Since that one was just a switch of sense of the tie to North Kessock, it didn't trump the 'proper' bracketed tick of Hill Rovers H on a non-usual venue. It makes sense to me, anyway!
Wearing our raincoats in case the clouds were chasing us, did of course scare them away. A lovely afternoon, at a sweeping grass-banked venue with views across the water to Fortrose and the hills beyond. A severe lack of clinical finishing in the first half warmth had us worrying that we might be in for a trudge towards 0-0. But on 41, Hill Rovers, against the run of play were awarded a pen, which was converted. That suddenly seemed to awaken Lochinver who equalized on 43 and then won & scored their own pen on 44. They carried on with that momentum after the break, getting another after only 23 seconds of the 2nd half. A wait then until 67 for 1-4, a pen well saved stopped it becoming 1-5. But not for long - that denied spot-kicker did get his hat-trick, 2 minutes from the end.

A reconvening/debriefing point was necessary. So what better place to get my designated driver to take me to, to meet-up with Veteran for a spot of dinner, than my favourite watering hole up here - the enclave of Yorkshireness that is the New Inn at Aberchirder. The locals we'd met in there previously couldn't quite believe our tales of what we'd been up to earlier in the day, finding the entertainment worthy of buying us a free pint !

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jun 12, 2019, 10:34 AM)

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jun 16, 2019, 5:39 PM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #11 of 11 (422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Saturday 8th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ukrainian Premier League Relegation Play Off Second Leg Volyn Lutsk 1 Karpaty Lviv 3 (Aggregate 1-3) Ticket 30 UAH (less than a pound) Programme 30 UAH (apparently a feature of Ukrainian football - the programme costs the same as the match ticket!)

Now this was something else - myself and A Pheasant travelled with four British Ukrainians in the same minibus we used for the Ukraine internationals with the same driver. Travelling time for the 150 kilometres trip through the flat Ukrainian countryside was 2 hours 15 minutes and we arrived at lunchtime for the 7.00 pm kick off time. After collecting our tickets we had a day at leisure in the fascinating city of Lutsk in North West Ukraine which is a thousand years old and contains a very famous castle which features on the UAH 200 note. Over its history it has been under the control of Lithuania, Poland and the USSR. An enjoyable afternoon was spent there before returning to the stadium, which is on the other side of the city centre but whose floodlights can be spotted from the tower of the castle. Here I was deprived of my plastic water bottle by the unsmiling police (no friendly stewarding here). At the internationals the stewards were content for you to take the top off. The ground was the sort of stadium (I use the term loosely) that was built in each Soviet city, an open bowl with running track around the pitch and minimal cover, it contains around 12,000 seats with a floodlight pylon at each corner. Apparently you will find a ground like this in every Ukrainian town, each one designed by the same Soviet architect. This one is around 50 years old and is looking very tired with very faded seats.
It is close to the city centre and as just remarked an old school Communist era open bowl with 11 rows of open faded red seats on all four sides with a small stand on the west side from whose depths the players enter the pitch. The stand is in the Ukrainian colours of yellow and blue and was three tier with the press facilities at the rear. There were no spectator facilities at all inside the ground with even the toilets (portaloos) outside the turnstiles. There was a very heavy police presence here and a phalanx of officers stood facing the Karpaty ultras on the area between the running track and the pitch with metal spiked railings separating the pitch from the seating. We were on the back row of the eastern terrace seats close to the Karpaty ultras which made for difficult viewing conditions with a low sun in our eyes and not much elevation over the pitch despite being in the back row - the usual problem with this sort of athletics stadium.The game took a while to warm up with Karpaty looking the better team to start with. They took the lead just before half time but Volyn (the name of this region of Ukraine) came back strongly at the start of the second half and scored a deserved equaliser. At his point Karpaty were wobbling, but Volyn were unable to capitalise, although this didn't stop the Karpaty ultras from burning some of the plastic seats with the police looking on unconcernedly. A shot which hit the crossbar and scudded clear turned out to be the crucial moment as soon after the Volyn captain was sent off for a truly dreadful challenge. When soon after a clear penalty was awarded to Karpaty which was duly converted and a third goal added in the 95th minute that was too much for the home fans who promptly exploded flares which sent smoke billowing across the pitch and set off firecrackers with a bonfire of seats adding to it from the other side of the ground. A pitch invasion by a few home fans followed and an attack on the referee by the home coach as he ran off after having a seat thrown at him by a home fan. Chaos then ensued as apparently there were two minutes of stoppage time still to be played but after waiting 20 minutes with no sign of the players returning we decided to head back to the minibus and return to Lviv which we reached in 2 hours. The game is now showing as a 3-0 victory to the visitors after being down as suspended on the Soccerway site for a few days after the game and there are quite a few highlights clips to be seen on Youtube. All rather different to England.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3