Jun 7, 2019, 11:41 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #1 of 11 (1541 views)
Shortcut
Friday 7th June 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fyvie 5-4 New Deer
N.E.Scotland FA (summer Welfare league), Div.2

f&n, h/c 48

A milestone all-day meeting at work, so as a thank you the boss had organized a team-building evening that I was therefore expected to attend. But doing what he likes to do - a masterclass at an upmarket Thai restaurant. Join in with cooking foreign muck, or go to the fitba? No contest!

Fyvie is a major attraction of NE Scotland - for its iconic tourist trail castle with lake and gardens. At the junction with the main road there is an open pitch and pavilion that I've often passed and thought "there ought to be a team playing on here". This summer-season there is - new entrants to the NESFA, so joining from the bottom division. Done-the-lot Yorkieexile and Veteran therefore needed to come back up here to maintain their champagne jobs, selecting a Friday fixture on a Highland Amateur Cup weekend (more of which in tomorrow's WDYG) to do so.

The new boys have taken to it well - lying third in the table, 3 points behind tonight's top of the pile visitors. A good standard entertaining game, watched by a decent turnout on the first sunny evening we've had for a while, all on one side behind a temporary rope, although there's no restriction to doing a walkaround.

Only 0-1 (19min) at the break, little did we know what was to come!
The hosts equalized in the first minute of the second period before New Deer quickly re-took the lead. On the hour came the 2-2 equalizer - courtesy of an oggie, a couple of minutes after which Fyvie took the lead for the first time. 10 minutes later and they were 2 ahead - 4-2, shortly before their captain made it one oggie each - 4-3 with a quarter of an hour left. New Deer's turn to draw level five minutes later - 4-4. And on 82, Fyvie's number 10 got his hat-trick and what turned out to be the winner. Fyvie five! Just a shame it wasn't Forfar who'd been the visitors getting the four.

Cracking entertainment, only ruined by one bloke's incessant chuntering. Sorry. I'll shut up to let Yorkieexile & Veteran enjoy the remaining games of their trip in peace! Wink

So Fyvie moved level with New Deer. But not to the top - second-placed Elizabethan Link Up also won tonight, to become the leaders.

Mention must be made of the New Deer number 11. Went in for a ball that wasn't there to be won, smacking the keeper full on the forehead with a sickening sound. No play-acting when he fell to the ground - looked like it could have been quite serious for a while. The coward just sheepishly ran back to his pals, not even stopping to console the goalie he'd just assaulted. The ref was more-immediately concerned for the keeper's welfare, and after the guy had got to his feet and was (remarkably) able to carry on, never did deal with the miscreant 11 who was a very lucky boy to get away with it. So even more galling when a few minutes later, the 11 was at it again. A low rolling ball was the keeper's to go down to clutch to his chest, yet the 11 ran at him and kicked out, narrowly missing taking his block off! Again the ref did nowt. All credit to the Fyvie players for not reacting - I'd've been despatching vigilante justice had I been one of them. Oof!

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jun 8, 2019, 12:04 AM)

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jun 8, 2019, 11:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 11 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glenafton 1-5 Auchinleck Talbot...West Region Premier...Adm 6 Prog 1.50...k.o 1930.

After an afternoon sightseeing in Sanquhar, took the drive a few miles NW up the A76 to New Cumnock. The Junior Cup champions were in town along with a spot of rain.

Auchinleck dominated the game for long periods and the result was never really in doubt. It had been a fair few years since I last popped into Loch Park so it was good to reintroduce the brain matter with the current set up.
Liked the ground but the number of migies made for an uncomfortable evening for many. A number of familiar faces amongst the half decent crowd.

Fair play to Glenafton for giving the Bot a guard of honour out on to the pitch for a game which was competitive till Talbot left home side trailing in their wake. Ample cover at the ground for the supporters who wanted it.

Afterwards it was a short hurl back to the B& B in Kirkconnel stopping off for a Munchy Box at the local takeaway on route.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #3 of 11 (799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lviv Arena Euro 2020 Qualifier Ukraine 5 Serbia 0 Ticket in upper tier behind goal approximately 3. No sign of a programme, although one that was apparently only available in the VIP area and Press Box has materialised on Ebay for 16!
My 49th country visited (not all for football) and a real culture shock in this western outpost, not that far from the Polish border and easily reached by flights from Luton on Wizzair. The ground is on the outskirts of Ukraine's 8th biggest city and would be difficult to reach by public transport so a taxi (very cheap here, as are most things in this, Europe's poorest country) is the best option particularly with a kick off not till 21.45 local time (2 hours ahead of us). Myself and A Pheasant had tickets for both this and the Luxembourg game on the following Monday and were actually in the same seats for each game. Our minibus which seated seven was hired for around 12 each way for the journey to and from the city centre. The stadium is a two tier affair for three of its stands with steeply banked rows of seating at each end of the ground. The fourth stand featured a similar sized lower tier with the media centre in a central position. Above this are two blocks consisting of corporate facilities. The backing from the home fans was extremely passionate without ever descending into unacceptable behaviour but for the first 20 minutes Ukraine flattered to deceive and it was Serbia who looked the more likely to score, squandering two good chances. However, the pattern of the game altered irrevocably when the Ukrainians took the lead - once they doubled it 2 minutes later there was only ever going to be one winner. By the end the Serbs were completely demoralised with the home fans unable to believe the quality of their display. In fact they were show boating straight after they went 3-0 up with a statuesque Serb defence refusing to tackle the Ukraine runners. This was an excellent match of very high quality with Ukraine incredibly impressive and unlikely to be stopped from winning the group on the evidence of this display, particularly with Portugal having already qualified by dint of winning the Nations League.
With no official car parks at the ground our driver was parked by the gates from which we entered the ground and we were back at our hotel in 20 minutes to end a cracking night out.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 15, 2019, 6:58 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 11 (777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

particularly with Portugal having already qualified by dint of winning the Nations League.

The winners of the Nations League do NOT automatically qualify for the Euro finals.

And, by the by, Moldova is generally accepted to be the poorest country in Europe, not Ukraine

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 8:28 PM

Post #5 of 11 (670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Point 1 When you have a spare couple of hours perhaps you could explain the qualification process BB as all of us on the trip were under the impression that by winning the title Portugal had qualified. Tried to work it out several times but...
Point 2 I thought that too but the new edition of Lonely Planet states that Ukraine is the poorest. I suppose it depends on what criteria are being employed.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 15, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #6 of 11 (652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In simple terms, the Nations League finals were nothing to do with Euro 2020.

There is still a League A play-off for a place in the final - the four teams that won the League A groups will play in this, but only if they fail to qualify through the groups.

As League A teams qualify, so the four teams in the play-offs are pushed down the groups. If there are less than four League A teams that fail to qualify, then the spaces in the play-offs will go to League B teams.

In short, there will be 20 teams qualifying through the groups, and four via play-offs. 16 teams will be in the play-offs and this is decided by Nations League performance.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 8:59 PM

Post #7 of 11 (633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that Leo. Still not sure I understand though...

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 15, 2019, 9:25 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 11 (606 views)
Shortcut

While we're at it, Lviv was the 7th biggest city in Ukraine by population stats when I went.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 15, 2019, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #9 of 11 (598 views)
Shortcut

In some ways it would have been better to play the Nations League Finals at the same time as all the other nations league playoffs but as Leo said, the four contestants would in all probability have already qualified through their Euro groups .....and UEFA wanted their big show/payday in Portugal so there you have it.
It's going to be very hard for any half decent team not to qualify. Even Ireland who finished bottom of a League B and were relegated, should make a playoff as you'd expect most of NL Leagues A and B to have already qualified thus obviating their need to participate in playoffs.
I was banking on a playoff in Slovakia but they may even make it directly so who knows!

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2019, 9:45 PM

Post #10 of 11 (584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Friday 7th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw two substantially different population figures quoted for Lviv; by the larger of the two it is the 7th, by the smaller of them it is the 8th.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 16, 2019, 7:32 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #11 of 11 (497 views)
Shortcut

There is a table of the Nations League final positions at
https://en.wikipedia.org/...qualifying_play-offs

As teams qualify for Euro 2020 from the groups, the places will get shifted down the tables. If less than four Division A teams are left, then the extra Division A places are taken from Division B - from teams below the Division B play off selection.

It is possible, and even likely that the Division A play-off actually consists of one Division A team, one or two from Division B and one or two from Division C

Ireland will be in the play-offs assuming they do not qualify directly if

a) Seven of the League B teams ranked 13-22 qualify directly
or
b) Fifteen of the League A/B teams ranked 1-22 qualify directly

Of these, scenario b) is probable, and a) is certainly possible.

The matches will be played in the last week of March 2020
If I have read it correctly, the top two ranked teams are at home in the semi-finals, while a draw in November 2020 will take place to decide which semi-final winner hosts the final.

FYI - tickets are already on sale for the finals. The first ticket window closes next month.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3