First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 5, 2019, 10:35 PM

Post #1 of 81 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Cricket World Cup Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought someone would have posted about this already, but here goes:

I'm loving it so far. I'm in the "unfortuntate" position of not having any work these last few weeks (and probably for the next couple) so my days are filled by radio commentaries.

I was not a fan of the 10-team format initially, but it seems to producing a very competitive tournament with plenty of excitement.

I've never seen one day cricket live before this World Cup (only been to test, championship or t20) but this has me sold on the format.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #2 of 81 (2294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
my days are filled by radio commentaries

You can watch the matches on the Betfair website, however you need to register and have money in your account.

https://video.betfair.com/

cope1

Jun 7, 2019, 9:51 AM

Post #3 of 81 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that. Tbh, I'm mostly doing housework around the house while I listen so watching wouldn't work but good to know.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 7, 2019, 7:41 PM

Post #4 of 81 (2163 views)
Shortcut

Im enjoying this too. Not a fan of the 20/20.
Personally think the tournament is too long 6 weeks
Could have had 2 groups of 5 with top 4 going to semis
On another note does anyone know Why Indias entry was delayed as they played their first game at the same time south Africa played their 3rd
Sorry A bit too lazy to google.

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 7, 2019, 8:21 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #5 of 81 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently due to the IPL.

zebedee
First Team Star

Jun 7, 2019, 8:22 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #6 of 81 (2150 views)
Shortcut

India wanted the late start so that there was 15 days between the end of the IPL and their first World Cup game. This was to comply with one of the recommendations of a government report into how the Indian board runs cricket in the country. What I haven't heard explained yet is why it the IPL wasnt shifted a week earlier instead.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 8, 2019, 7:48 AM

Post #7 of 81 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Zebedee and scottywolds
Thanks for the replies.

cope1

Jun 8, 2019, 9:22 PM

Post #8 of 81 (2030 views)
Shortcut

I like the format but they could have doubled up on the fixtures. Having one game a day is really stretching things.

I wasn't a fan of the 10-team league format before the tournament, and I wanted to see more teams, but I think it's been good because even the worst team(s) have made a decent go at their matches.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Jun 8, 2019, 9:28 PM)

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 9, 2019, 5:38 PM

Post #9 of 81 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Agree with you on doubling up on games.
Reason i suggested 2 groups of 5 is that you are likely to have more dead matches later on in the later group games.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2019, 11:57 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #10 of 81 (1911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
India wanted the late start so that there was 15 days between the end of the IPL and their first World Cup game. This was to comply with one of the recommendations of a government report into how the Indian board runs cricket in the country. What I haven't heard explained yet is why it the IPL wasnt shifted a week earlier instead.

Because anything India want, they get. I am surprised they didn't ask for a bye to the final.

I have hardly watched any limited over cricket for the last 20 years (either format). I have tried watching a few games on TV this time round but I have found them monumentally tedious. I haven't seen a game where the result hasn't been entirely predictable from well before the end. Where is battle between bat and ball? And the constant public address announcements and music throughout the game are hugely irritating even when watching on TV. It must be dire being at the ground. I am going to a T20 game in a few weeks (corporate invite). Maybe I will change my mind after that but I am really not looking forward to it.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2019, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #11 of 81 (1853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because anything India want, they get. I am surprised they didn't ask for a bye to the final.

I have hardly watched any limited over cricket for the last 20 years (either format). I have tried watching a few games on TV this time round but I have found them monumentally tedious. I haven't seen a game where the result hasn't been entirely predictable from well before the end. Where is battle between bat and ball? And the constant public address announcements and music throughout the game are hugely irritating even when watching on TV. It must be dire being at the ground. I am going to a T20 game in a few weeks (corporate invite). Maybe I will change my mind after that but I am really not looking forward to it.

Don't you miss playing the new game that has emerged during this World Cup. The game where you have to correctly guess whether the bails will come off after being hit with the ball?

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2019, 5:27 PM

Post #12 of 81 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Don't you miss playing the new game that has emerged during this World Cup. The game where you have to correctly guess whether the bails will come off after being hit with the ball?

Ah yes, I have enjoyed that. I am looking forward to an lbw appeal being turned down on the basis that it wouldn't have knocked the bails off.

I do appear to have missed something here. Why do we need flashing lights in the bails? Should they not also whistle a tune when they fall off just to make sure we have spotted them?

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 10, 2019, 8:06 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #13 of 81 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Got a spare ticket for NZ vs SA at Edgbaston on Wednesday 19th, cost 40 in members area.
PM if interested.

By the way, a ticket exchange thread may be useful for situations where a poster is left with a spare due to extenuating circumstances.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2019, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #14 of 81 (1786 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ah yes, I have enjoyed that. I am looking forward to an lbw appeal being turned down on the basis that it wouldn't have knocked the bails off.

I do appear to have missed something here. Why do we need flashing lights in the bails? Should they not also whistle a tune when they fall off just to make sure we have spotted them?

As well as flashing lights why didn't they add music too. Something like "Another One Bits the Dust" by Queen or "Howzat" by Sherbet or "Go Now" by the Moody Blues?

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 11, 2019, 4:58 PM

Post #15 of 81 (1726 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I wasn't a fan of the 10-team league format before the tournament, and I wanted to see more teams, but I think it's been good because even the worst team(s) have made a decent go at their matches.

This is only the second time that the competition has started with a single group in which all of the entrants play one another. The last time was in 1992 (9 countries SA had just returned to international cricket).

The consequence is, of course, the restriction in the number of entrants. From 1996 to 2015 this varied from 12 to 16.

Steve Rhodes, Bangladesh's coach, has quite rightly asked why there are no reserve days for the group matches.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jun 11, 2019, 10:12 PM)

Ropemaker

Jun 11, 2019, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #16 of 81 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whoever is responsible for putting together the highlights for Channel 4 is obviously from the no-one wants to see anything other than boundaries and wickets school of thinking. Because there is not much else.

The David Warner being "bowled" incident was absent from the Australia v India highlights. And other things I saw on the BBC website, such as Chris Gayle successfully using DRS twice in 3 balls during his innings vs Australia, haven't been shown either.

I know highlights are subjective and not everything can make the final edit but a bit more variety would be nice.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2019, 11:25 AM

Post #17 of 81 (1622 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Steve Rhodes, Bangladesh's coach, has quite rightly asked why there are no reserve days for the group matches.

I have no time for people who complain about rules that adversely affect them after the event rather than before. It was patently absurd for there not to be any reserve days. He, and all the other coaches, should have been making a fuss about this in advance. The ICC's response that doing so would have significantly increased the length of the tournament is just confirmation that the tournament format is wrong. It is utterly ludicrous that it takes 38 days and 45 matches to reduce the field from ten teams to four.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2019, 1:29 PM

Post #18 of 81 (1594 views)
Shortcut

How do you know that there weren't misgivings during the organisation of the competition?

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2019, 6:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 81 (1556 views)
Shortcut

On the format, whichever one they choose has to guarantee India, and by extension everyone else, a minimum number of games which I believe is 6.

This was agreed after the 2007 world cup, where there were 4 groups of 4 followed by a super 8, and India contrived to get themselves knocked out after three games and the competition made a huge financial loss as a result.

The problem with the 2011 and 2015 competitions as I saw it was that the first month or so was an exercise in working out which 8 of perhaps 9 (depending how good Bangladesh/bad England were) countries would make the quarter finals.

This format is better, as 4 from 10 provides a bigger element of peril for big teams, but is unfortunate in that it precludes smaller nations from taking part (although Scotland were a bad lbw decision away from winning on DLS and qualifying ahead of the West Indies)

My favourite format was the 1999/2003 format (a variation on which was also used in the 2019 qualifier), where two groups fed into a super six stage. It meant established teams would be knocked out, and also allowed associates to take part.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (225): The Beeches, Tividale FC

2019-20 - 11 games, 11 new grounds

(This post was edited by intheshire on Jun 12, 2019, 6:53 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2019, 7:35 PM

Post #20 of 81 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Cricket World Cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One of the reasons given for this year's format was that it gives all the teams a chance to play one another; previous tournaments were criticised for keeping some of the big boys apart until the semis. The ICC's excuse that time and travelling exclude reserve days doesn't really stand up. Some teams have only two days between matches and this is England and South Wales, not the vastness of India or Australia.

The 1999 and 2003 tournaments took 31 and 35 days to complete the two group stages; 2007 (with 16 teams) took 40.

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2019, 9:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 81 (1512 views)
Shortcut

Couldn't agree more about reserve days. We have been a little unlucky in comparison with last year's dry June, and with the 1999 world cup in England, which started on May 14th, only had one No Result and no other rain affected matches. However, I think they could have managed reserve days without extending the tournament.

The 2 groups plus super 6 format solves the other problem you mention. A super 6 means that a finalist will have played the next five best teams at least once at some stage plus half of the rest of the teams.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (225): The Beeches, Tividale FC

2019-20 - 11 games, 11 new grounds

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 13, 2019, 9:44 AM

Post #22 of 81 (1452 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How do you know that there weren't misgivings during the organisation of the competition?

If there were they kept them private. If Steve Rhodes had raised them in advance I am sure his complaint afterwards would have included a phrase along the lines of 'as I told them before the competition started'.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 13, 2019, 11:23 AM

Post #23 of 81 (1435 views)
Shortcut

I asked the question because I thought you were being rather harsh on Rhodes, that's all. His reaction was natural and he hasn't been the only one to make the point.

The tournament isn't significantly than any others and the ICC could have incorporated reserve days.

cope1

Jun 13, 2019, 11:49 AM

Post #24 of 81 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Once up on a time I thought the same with regard to complaints, i.e. if you thought there was a problem you should've said so BEFORE we started. However, I've learnt from 25 years in football admin that (a) if you were to complain about every possible thing that might backfire before it became relevant you'd just been branded a whinger and (b) the people in charge (for good reasons, often) wouldn't take much notice anyway, because as soon as they had changed everything to suit one person, another would pop up with a counter complaint.

Therefore, the only sensible thing to do is let the organisers organise and, if you are asked about an issue after the event, say what you think, which is what he did.

I think you could have reserve days worked into the schedule, but perhaps that's an obvious issue after the event. I don't have sympathy with anyone claiming 'unseasonal weather', however. When did England last have 'seasonal weather'? It doesn't matter if you play in July/August, you know there's always a chance of rain.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 6:38 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #25 of 81 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Concerning reserve days and scheduling and all that, surely the point about the alleged logistic difficulty of arranging reserve days is nothing to do with the calendar, travel, rest days and so on.

It's down to the demand by Sky that there shall be just one game a day which they cover live, and that game must be completed in a day to suit their schedules.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3