Post #1 of 7 (811 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 4th June 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grantown United 11-1 Kingussie
Strathpey & Badenoch Welfare (summer) league
at Nethy Bridge, Cairngorms
f&n
h/c 22 stood out + a further 16 watching from cars

The Strathspey & Badenoch is down to just 4 teams this season, although that does include the return of Kingussie after an absence of four years. The way the future list drops, I'd have been better doing Boat of Garten tonight, so that had been my initial plan. But getting caught up trying to finish something at work meant I was later out the door than I should have been, and then a drop of rain makes folks drive at 30 in a 60 - come on come on, get out of my way - there's footy to be got to here. It was obvious I wasn't going to make it there for the 7pm start, and needed to drive past Nethy Bridge anyway, doing so at 5 past 7 to see that the players were still only warming up. Excellent. It began late at 7:10 - hooray!
I'd been here before - it is where Grantown Juniors began, before moving to Grantown itself and then folding / merging into Spey Valley to form Spey Valley United. But of course a return was needed to tick the Welfare side home on it. A pleasant setting against the woods, railed. 15 minutes of standing out watching made it obvious why so many others were doing so from behind windscreens - I was midge food. Aargh! So I too bottled out and retreated to the car. Until it started raining, when I could therefore come out since that ought to keep the little blighters at bay (it didn't, I'm scratching this morning). I did need to be outside though - I needed to ask somebody from Kingussie a question. But they had only their starting 11 - no subs, manager, committee, or away fans. No wonder then that they succumbed to the regular scoring of the 100%-so-far table-topping hosts. 5-0 at HT, 11-0 by the 80th. Good to see Kingussie get a consolation goal with the very last kick of the game though. So as they wandered back to the touchline I preceded my question with "if only the ref had added a bit more stoppage time, you might've equalized!" They took it in good spirit. What had concerned me had been news that a cup final due at neutral Kingussie on Friday has been moved "since there's problems with the goals at Kingussie" - worrying news since myself Yorkieexile and Veteran are (were?) planning to do Kingussie's next home fixture on Tuesday. Their captain told me : "The goalposts at the school are broken. There's talk of moving Tuesday's to The Shanks [I think he said] but they've got no goalposts either. We will see..." I took it that he must have meant the Kingussie shinty pitch, but looking that up afterwards that's called The Dell. And the neighbouring village Newtonmore's shinty ground is called The Eilan, so I don't know what he was referring to - I don't find anything called The Shanks when I do a search, but perhaps I mis-heard him. What was the name of the venue when Newtonmore did have a footy team in the S&B? - I can't even find that! Anyway, I'll be keeping a keen eye on the league's website in the coming days, for news ahead of Tuesday...

Chatting with the Grantown United committeeman who was flagging the touchline on behalf of Kingussie since they'd got nobody at all to do it, he told me Kingussie pay 90 a game to use the school pitch there, and that he had made a donation towards their costs for this season - it does nobody any good if they drop out of what is only a four-team league anyway.

Worryingly, it turns out that it had been a blessing that I was too delayed to continue on to Boat Of Garten - their opponents Aviemore Thistle hadn't been able to raise an XI on the night and just forfeited that league fixture, which won't be rearranged.

And I think I'll need to see the Avon lady before next heading over to a match in the West of Scotland !

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 5, 2019, 11:57 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #2 of 7 (759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Tuesday 4th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There used to be two other pitches that I know of in Kingussie. One is just across the road from the High School. The other is quite close as well but across the railway and towards the Newtonmore end of Kingussie. No idea if they are still in use.

The pitch in Newtonmore got built on.

dottirofhod

Jun 5, 2019, 12:26 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 7 (737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 4th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have been 2 on Ruthven Rd , not the school yet (?).
There is a pitch reasonably near the Golf Club , a 'shank' away ?
Entrance off Croila Rd.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 23 / 21/ 2/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 21/ 07/ 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-3-4-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 /Italy =0-3/Iberia = P = 0-1& S=0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

prorege

Jun 5, 2019, 12:54 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #4 of 7 (706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Tuesday 4th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The High School is on Ruthven Road. What I would call the "old" pitch is in the west side, with the school on the east side. There are two pitches at the school, one is end-on to Ruthven Road and the other is further over, behind the school. The shinty ground is also down Ruthven Road but quite a bit out of the town.

Had a look on Google Earth - never knew about the pitch up Dunbarry Terrace - that is fairly new - I assume that's the one "near the golf course" you mention.

dottirofhod

Jun 5, 2019, 1:03 PM

Post #5 of 7 (699 views)
Shortcut

All correct.
Dunbarry prob better than Croila.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 23 / 21/ 2/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 21/ 07/ 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-3-4-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 /Italy =0-3/Iberia = P = 0-1& S=0-1.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2019, 1:22 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #6 of 7 (429 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The High School is on Ruthven Road. What I would call the "old" pitch is in the west side, with the school on the east side. There are two pitches at the school, one is end-on to Ruthven Road and the other is further over, behind the school. The shinty ground is also down Ruthven Road but quite a bit out of the town.

Had a look on Google Earth - never knew about the pitch up Dunbarry Terrace - that is fairly new - I assume that's the one "near the golf course" you mention.

Aha! After a bit of research, I find that what you are here calling the old pitch on the west side of the road, is properly named Market Stance. So "Stance" must have been the word that was said to me, as the talked-of possibility. Still waiting for any hard news for Tuesday.

dottirofhod

Jun 8, 2019, 7:16 AM

Post #7 of 7 (405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Tuesday 4th June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shinty goals on castors, Sinclair Trophy report on here?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3