INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Monday 3rd June

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jun 4, 2019, 12:09 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #1 of 5 (976 views)
Shortcut
Monday 3rd June Can't Post or Reply Privately

Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League
Nantglyn 4 Henllan 3
No admission or prog, tea bar was open
Att. 60 appx.

My first run out for the summer league this season was a good choice. A decent game from the off. Henllan started strongly and lead with an early penalty and then doubled their lead. Nantglyn gradually got more into it but were wasteful for chances created. They eventually levelled but then trailed again but recovered to claim the points with a late winner. Just about deserved on the second half performance.

No changes here. It is still a sheep field and a small pitch in very pleasant countryside. Good to see the tea bar doing well. They have had some offerings for a few seasons but now have a portable kiosk.

Good to see Martin55 in attendance.

Straight back home this time.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 4, 2019, 8:17 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #2 of 5 (862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Monday 3rd June [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland / Lowland Under 20s KO Cup Final
Spartans v Bonnyton Thistle, 4-0, H.T. 2-0, Att c.120, Admission £5, No paper, No refreshments
At ORIAM (Outdoors Astro)

For the uninitiated the East / Lowland Under 20s is a well-structured and extensive grade of football, mainly played on Friday nights throughout the season. It includes some Lowland League clubs, most East of Scotland and a few South of Scotland. The League is played of two parallel Conferences. There are several cup competitions of which this match was the Final of one.

Spartans are one of the strongest teams and have also qualified for the League Championship Play Off. They meet Kelty Hearts at Broxburn on Thursday evening in that one.

Opponents Bonnyton Thistle, from Kilmarnock, are a long established youth football club who started a senior team a few years ago. They are able to cream off some of the best talent in their area as players seem keen to play in this league set-up. However, they did live up to the stereotype of Ayrshire footballers - talented, but ill-disciplined, argumentative and ultimately self-destructive. Spartans were equally talented but also had better discipline and organisation.

On the night Spartans were much too good for them. They opened the scoring with a close range Cammy Dawson header and doubled it within the first 20 minutes. The Bonnyton keeper appeared to be crocked trying to save this one but he played on – possibly not the best decision. Spartans were reduced to ten men just after half time when their left back was sent off – it looked like it was for a high challenge but there was also some suggestion that he trampled on his opponent when he hit the ground. I thought it looked like a reasonable challenge but then again I was busy blethering to someone at the time.

Despite the numerical disadvantage it was Spartans who retained control adding two more goals – Dawson going on to complete his hat trick with a late penalty. The crocked goalkeeper was badly at fault in losing possession to a Spartans player and his shot was handled on the line by a defender – red card and penalty.

Several of the Spartans players have been in and about the first team this season and on this showing I expect to see more of them at that level in the coming term. The crowd was over 100, huddled in the stands for shelter on an evening of simultaneous sunshine and showers. Excellent entertainment but I would question the use of the ORIAM as a venue for a Cup Final. Especially when quite a few folk have travelled from Kilmarnock, it’s not unreasonable to expect to be able to buy a cup of coffee or a snack without a fifteen minute there and back trek to a vending machine.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2019, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #3 of 5 (351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Monday 3rd June [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whilst prorege was watching children's footy, there was proper big boys' stuff to be had in his home county :

Kincardine 0-6 Pennies
Stirling & District Amateurs, Premier Division
at Burnside Park, Tulwallon school, Kincardine-on-Forth, Kingdom of Fife
h/c 24

The only tick fixture en route between Leeds and Aberdeenshire on my drive back from a weekend seeing the lad in hospital, so a must-do even though just a dead rubber catch-up - the visitors are already champions, the hosts mid table.
Not as one-sided as the final score sounds, it had been 0-0 until the 52nd minute before the dam burst.
Kincardine is immediately at the east end of the eponymous bridge, so on the northeast bank of the river Forth, so at the extreme west of Fife. But life is easier to conduct looking westward to the Stirling & District than it would be trekking all the way across to some of the far-easterly parts of the Kingdom Of Fife Amateurs.
Burnside Park is just an open pitch on a large expanse of grassland at the school, the closest one to the changing rooms. There are two other pitches plus plenty of additional open grass, sweeping up to the church behind. Our local fount of knowledge had kindly pre-informed me that once upon a time this had been a venue for Junior football. Hard to image that now - there are literally no remaining facilities.

My chosen pause point on the way up had been a pilgrimage to Scotland's highest village, Wanlockhead - a fact that is subject to dispute by the neighbouring village Ironmills, which was a feature item on BBC Radio 4's light-hearted statistics programme More Or Less - it depends what you consider to be the centre of the village from which to measure it. The focal point I was heading to was the Wanlockhead Inn, a brewpub I'd not previously visited. But I arrived to find that it's closed on Mondays. Bah. I'll be back - actually not that far off the M74 ...even though it's a very isolated place indeed - you wouldn't want to have been a lead miner back in the day, stuck up here in the winter. Good to see many local protest signs against any proliferation of dreadful wind turbines spoiling this wilderness.

prorege

Jun 5, 2019, 10:48 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #4 of 5 (304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Monday 3rd June [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Burnside Park hosted Junior football surprisingly recently - well into the 2000s. Tulliallan Thistle were the local team. The ground had a fully railed off pitch, and was surrounded by a 6 foot high wooden stockade-type fence.

All that was still in situ in 2014 when Steelend Vics agreed to take over the park, having been forced out of Woodside Park. Alas the move never happened as Kincardine Amateurs were very obstructive - understandably they did not want a new team coming to the village. If memory serves me right they removed some of the fencing to prevent the ground ever being considered as a Junior venue.

dottirofhod

Jun 5, 2019, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 5 (249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Monday 3rd June [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best remember not to go Kincardine, good job I was further North or it could have been embarrassing.

05/06/1990. Tulliallan v St Andrews 0-5.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3