at Ossett United 3p.m. (att 521)

Yorkshire 1 (Brodie Litchfield 90+2), Parishes of Jersey 0

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jun 1, 2019, 10:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 18 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Lochaber Thistle 2-1 Helensburgh fc...GGPAFL Div 2....F&N
Boarded the Helensburgh team coach at the Pier in town for the 2hr run north.Despite the showers the drive is as good as you'll get anywhere for scenery.
Lochaber High School where the ground is located, is on the far side of Fort William. We arrived 35 minutes before kick off, as the home side warmed up on their plastic pitch.
Helensburgh hit the post on 8 minutes,Lochaber did the same on 12 minutes before netting a minute later into the bottom right corner. It was nearly 2-0 a few minutes later when the post was rattled from 35 yds.
A fumble from the home keeper collecting a near post cross gave Helensburgh the equaliser on 22 minutes. It remained 1-1 at the break a fair reflection on the game.
Lochabers keeper allowed the ball to run under his foot from a back pass, this rolled agonisingly wide just before the hour.As the game wore on the support from each side were getting more involved with the decisions being made by the officials.The winner came on 72 minutes to the elation of the home fans. The title was South Lochabers but fair play to Sam Gemmill the respected old timer running the bench for the visitors.He ordered his players to comeback and witness the League Officials address to the players and Trophy presentation.A bit of respect goes a long way.
No scran or anything after the game,a quick exit....a quick stop at Aldis for a bevvy top up....and a party on the coach as the players headed home for their presentation evening.Only one lengthy delay north of Loch Lomond when a biker came off the road and went into a ditch and trees leading to a road closure. Decent day out,stayed largely dry despite dark clouds skirting Ben Nevis all afternoon.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 1, 2019, 11:06 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #3 of 18 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tranent 2 Bonnyrigg Rose 1 (AET), East of Scotland King Cup Final (at Linlithgow Rose FC)l, Att: 450ish, Admission: £6, Prog: £2

This was always a decent game but a slow burner as far as incidents were concerned. After a goal-less first period in which the game was quite even, Bonnyrigg scored early in the second half and for a while looked likely winners until they began to tire and Tranent equalised with fifteen minutes to go. Extra time followed and the game exploded into life. Tranent scored what turned out to be the winner almost immediately before then having a penalty saved. They then had a man sent off for a challenge on the Bonnyrigg 'keeper, followed a minute later into the early bath by a Bonnyrigg player. Bonnyrigg then hit the bar and Tranent missed a second penalty in the second period of extra time. In the end Tranent probably deserved the victory in a great advertisment for the East of Scotland League - it's difficult to think these teams are no longer Junior clubs.

Linlithgow's Prestonofields is a ground that would grace a higher level. A raised seated stand on one side gives a wonderful view of proceedings with a traditional terrace, coverd to the rear opposite. The clubhouse behind one goal has a few steps of open terracing in front, the other end has a large grass bank. A decent turnout for the game by both sets of supporters in a crowd of around 450.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 12:59 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #4 of 18 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
CONIFA

Heritage Cup, Saturday 1st June 2019

at Ossett United 3p.m. (att 521)

Yorkshire 1 (Brodie Litchfield 90+2), Parishes of Jersey 0

Also at this.

Having bought a shirt as soon as they were formed at the start of last year, it was great to get my first chance to attend a Yorkshire IFA game, thanks to a tip-off (from yorkieexile) that this match was occurring the same weekend that I was back home from Aberdeenshire anyway. I wouldn't've known otherwise.

Jersey were mugged. By far the better team. The only opponent who has ever beat Yorkshire. We were clinging on for the 0-0 then undeservedly snatched it at the end, to the delight of 'The Naked Tyke' and his pals - listen to the recent BBC Radio 4 'From Our Home Correspondent'.

Very little publicity. Shameful that the newspaper there to champion all things Yorkshire, the Yorkshire Post, had no article. Who's the YIFA publicity officer?! The major day of the year in Ossett - the Ossett Beercart Festival. 20 Morris Dancing teams pulling a cart of ale in procession in the morning then performing in the town centre, + an associated Fri & Sat beer festival in the Town Hall. Yet nobody I spoke to at that had heard of the Yorkshire footy 100 yards away! Proud Yorkshiremen who would've attended had they known. No merch for sale, missing an opportunity. Prog only if you knew that the 'chairman' had got them in his satchel (£2 for 2 sheets of A4 a rip-off). 'National anthem' Abide With Me, albeit a recording performed by a Yorkshire brass band. No No No - Ilkley Moor Bah T'At is our anthem, surely?!!!
Anybody would think this was pseudo, rather than serious international football. Ahem!

Played at ex Ossett Town's ground. Many obvious hoppers in attendance. 521 'generous' - my h/c had been 300.
Pre-match, after some morning dance watching, went to have a look at Dimple Well - ex Ossett Albion's ground. Still exists, but now with United rebranding. Pitch covered in tents, car park with camper vans - basecamp for the Morris Dancers.
Did the beer festival Friday night, when first in front of me in the queue who I got chatting to was one of the Newcastle sword-dancing team.
Post match, did a tour of the Horbury ale venues - the 2 brewpubs (Calder Vale & Cherry Tree) + Cricketers (PoTY)+ Boons. Got chatting with a now Merthyr-based hopper who I recognized had been at the match, originally an Arsenal fan, so he was happy that Spurs didn't win the CL. At every pub of the crawl, just after we'd arrived, that same Newcastle sword-dancing team appeared, stalking us! Amazing to see their performance several times, contributing to the charity box on each occasion, knowing that they were wielding knives when more & more psd yet all still had their ears / fingers intact !

A jolly good 24 hours of reconnecting with my culture.

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jun 2, 2019, 1:04 AM)

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jun 2, 2019, 1:25 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #5 of 18 (1493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Juniors DJ Laing East Region Cup Semi Final
Broughty Athletic 9 Kennoway Star Hearts 1 (@ East Craigie FC)
Admission £6, kids free, no prog
Tea £1, steak pie £1.80
Att. 130 appx.

This was played at East Craigie FC as Broughty's ground is undergoing installation of a 3G pitch and was the only new ground option open to me today.
For half an hour this was a decent contest. The visitors were always second best but did take the lead against the run of play. It did not take long for the "home" team to turn it round but at 2-1 the visitors missed a great chance to level it. It was 3-1 with five to the break and effectively over. The second half was all one way as Broughty ran riot with some fine finishing.

The ground is fully enclosed and railed three sides with grass banking on the same sides, highest behind one goal. There is a dug out either side and some railed hard standing on the other end but it is a path to the club buildings rather than specifically for watching the game from. The changing rooms and tea bar were all at that end. It stayed dry after two days steady rain with the pitch looking in fine condition.

Home for 9.22 and just under 300 miles later.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 2, 2019, 7:23 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 18 (1393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

521 very generous, my head count was 311

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 7:32 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #7 of 18 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Does this mean any county can now form a ‘CONIFA’ type team and take part in the International tournaments ?

John Treleven

Jun 2, 2019, 7:37 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 18 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cornwall have Kernow
Isle of Man - Ellan Vannin
Three F.A. Ridings- Yorkshire
Jersey - Parishes of Jersey

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 2, 2019, 7:41 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #9 of 18 (1362 views)
Shortcut

CONIFA turned down Surrey, but still allow their games to be advertised and I would think they can enter the small tournaments
That only means they cannot qualify for the CONIFA run tournaments
There are other British based teams, such as Chagos Islands, and Panjab United.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

John Treleven

Jun 2, 2019, 7:47 AM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 18 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jersey F.A. (not Parishes of Jersey) have played Panjab twice,

Parishes of Jersey play Chagos at Harrogate Town today

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 8:06 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #11 of 18 (1337 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Anybody thinking of going should be aware that it has been declared All-Ticket with online sales only - anybody turning up to pay on the gate will be turned away.
The Methyr guy I was drinking with on Saturday night hadn't realized this, but was able to order one that will show up on his phone, if the gateman is indeed being that strict.
Perhaps linked to the dreadful way the British treated the Chagos Islanders?, so names and addresses being stored in case anybody does a protest?...

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2019, 8:53 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #12 of 18 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Anybody thinking of going should be aware that it has been declared All-Ticket with online sales only - anybody turning up to pay on the gate will be turned away.
The Methyr guy I was drinking with on Saturday night hadn't realized this, but was able to order one that will show up on his phone, if the gateman is indeed being that strict.
Perhaps linked to the dreadful way the British treated the Chagos Islanders?, so names and addresses being stored in case anybody does a protest?...

The official explanation is that it is something to do with knowing in advance 'what costs will be incurred'. Whatever that means.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

John Treleven

Jun 2, 2019, 9:23 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 18 (1206 views)
Shortcut

The third match in the round robin, Yorkshire v Chagos, still has date and venue TBC

Karb
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 9:24 AM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #14 of 18 (1203 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Tranent 2 Bonnyrigg Rose 1 (AET), East of Scotland King Cup Final (at Linlithgow Rose FC)l, Att: 450ish, Admission: £6, Prog: £2

This was always a decent game but a slow burner as far as incidents were concerned. After a goal-less first period in which the game was quite even, Bonnyrigg scored early in the second half and for a while looked likely winners until they began to tire and Tranent equalised with fifteen minutes to go. Extra time followed and the game exploded into life. Tranent scored what turned out to be the winner almost immediately before then having a penalty saved. They then had a man sent off for a challenge on the Bonnyrigg 'keeper, followed a minute later into the early bath by a Bonnyrigg player. Bonnyrigg then hit the bar and Tranent missed a second penalty in the second period of extra time. In the end Tranent probably deserved the victory in a great advertisment for the East of Scotland League - it's difficult to think these teams are no longer Junior clubs.

Linlithgow's Prestonofields is a ground that would grace a higher level. A raised seated stand on one side gives a wonderful view of proceedings with a traditional terrace, coverd to the rear opposite. The clubhouse behind one goal has a few steps of open terracing in front, the other end has a large grass bank. A decent turnout for the game by both sets of supporters in a crowd of around 450.

Also at this one, along with Cowden Andy and prorege. The walk from Linlithgow station allows for plenty of pub stops. I chose the Four Mary's and the Footballers and Cricketers, though plans for a stop off in Platform 3 by the station had to be scrapped when the game went into extra time. Disruption on the trains also put a stop to a planned pint in the York Tap on the way home too.

Little to add to Andy D's report on the game, and the ground is indeed a fine one. I didn't venture into the clubhouse, but did have an excellent steak and haggis pie from the food kiosk, which was doing a brisk trade.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

hipkissexpress
Reserve Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 10:10 AM

Team(s): Everton

Post #15 of 18 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Region Consolation Cup Semi Final
Forfar West End 1-3 Dundee North End
Admission £6, nae paper
Att: 176 (h/c)

Myself, catchagoalgoal and shifnalshrew made the long trek up to Angus for this game.

Dundee NE were by far superior and they scored some cracking goals, all in a decent first half.

The second half was a complete non-event. Absolute pish as the locals might say!

Basic ground but fully enclosed. Found a nice spot to sit on the grass bank behind the goal to watch events unfold.

The evening was spent in some of Edinburgh's finest drinking establishments trying to avoid the non-champions league final.

read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!
http://groundhoppersdiary.blogspot.com/

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 2, 2019, 11:21 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #16 of 18 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As mentioned, also at the King Cup Final, Bonnyrigg v Tranent at Linlithgow.
Bonnyrigg's hectic schedule has caught up with them and they have lacked any spark in the three games that I have seen them this week.

The 90 minutes were fairly poor but extra time was superb. Three goals, two missed penalties, two red cards, goalie coach sent to stand, comedy refereeing . . . all good fun.
Bit of a rush to get a programme out for this one and disappointing to see unsold copies at the end.
Drove over so no drinking for me.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 2, 2019, 11:35 AM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #17 of 18 (990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The boy selling the programmes wasn't exactly pushing the sales pitch hard.

He also had a shit selling slot compared to the infamous Lithgy raffleLaugh

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 14, 2019, 4:18 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #18 of 18 (126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Saturday 1st June 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Czech Republic, 4.Liga (Group A) 10.15 am

SK Aritma Praha 1 TJ Prestice 2 (H/T 0-0)

Programme – 12 pages (A5) free. Additionally, a 4 page information leaflet (which included an aerial photo of the ground) was available in the clubhouse.

A weekend trip to Prague saw me tick three grounds over two days. I flew out from London to Brno on the Friday and took the train from there to Prague, where I had booked a hotel for three nights.

This morning kick-off was at a ground that is easy to get to. It is located on the western suburbs of Prague, on the main road that leads to the airport, and is just under ten minutes walk from the nearest metro station, which is called Nadrazi Veleslavin, which is part of a modern extension to Prague’s metro system that opened only a few years ago. The ground has a terrific main stand. Although it is not particularly big (it has only around 200 seats) it is very steep and elevated well above the pitch level, giving an excellent view of the game. There is grass banking behind both ends, while the side opposite the stand is out of bounds to spectators, but a wire fence along this side means that it is possible to watch from outside without paying. The paybox is in a corner (after you’ve walked past the free viewing area!) and doubles as a club shop, with a selection of souvenirs available. A club history book is among the items on sale, and has plenty of photos. It’s a must if you want to see what fashions young Czech men were wearing in 1972.

After a goalless first half, all three second-half goals came from free kicks.

Czech Republic, 3.Liga (CFL Group) 5 pm

TJ Jiskra Domazlice 2 SK Prevysov 0 (H/T 0-0)

Programme – none (although I got a copy of the press teamsheet)

I got the metro back to Prague’s central station in good time for the train to Domazlice, where the railway station is a stop on a main line passing through Plzen and the town itself is not too far from the German border. The town actually has two railway stations and the one I used (which is also the main one) is about 20-25 minutes walk from the ground. The ground is an athletics venue, with two relatively large and modern stands, one on either side with the number of seats in each being probably at least 500. There is also steep grass banking behind one goal, which offers an excellent vantage point for taking photos, and there is an impressive modern electronic scoreboard behind the other goal, so in all this is quite a good ground for this level and worth doing if you don’t mind the athletics part of it.

Another goalless first half was redeemed by a better second half. Two goals in the 75th and 81st minutes, both from open play, sealed the win for the home side.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Aug 14, 2019, 4:23 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3