Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Austria trip

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2019, 8:41 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #1 of 3 (788 views)
Shortcut
Austria trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

With today (Ascension Day) being a holiday in Austria, this is an excellent opportunity for extra games in an extended trip. Starting off, I went to:
2.Liga
SC Wiener Neustadt 2-2 Lafnitz
Admission: €6.40

Think this was a special price celbrating 64 years at the stadium, which came to an end tonight. They move to a new ground for next season, not sure what happens to this one, but there is a retail park right next door...

Only the main stand was open, Far side terracing for both fans was empty. Behind one goal are changing rooms, the other has grass banking, both set well back from the pitch. Food and drink is available at the top of the stand, the Puntigamer beer was passable (€3.50).

The visitors scored after 2 minutes and again on the stroke of half time. Generally they were well on top, with the exception of a 3 minute spell in which they conceded to a long ball and then the keeper dropped a straightforward looking catch right into the path of a home player who levelled. Hard luck for the visitors and they now need a point from their final game to ensure they stay out of the relegation spots. However, I read elsewhere that Wiener Nuestadt themselves have been denied a license and Wacker Amateurs will be demoted as their 1st team come down, so Lafnitz should be safe.

I am now on the morning train to Salzburg. Westbahn have a nice pricing system, if you buy an advance ticket but want or need to use a different train, you just pay the difference to a flexible fare (which at €33.99 is a lot less than OBB, the main operator). There are trains every hour but they stoip earlier.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
With FC United: 136
On the agenda:
4/12 Hamburg II v Luneburg Hansa
7/12 Fc United v Matlock Town

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2019, 9:21 PM

Post #2 of 3 (583 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Austria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Siegl’s in Wiener Neustadt is worth a mention - Arsenal v Chelsea on screens and a good range of craft beers.

Day 2 saw a trip to Henndorf, got a lift to/from with an Austria Salzburg fan and we were joined at the game by a local Austria fan and 2 Brits from Linz who were cycling to the Austria Salzburg game after this, fair play!

Henndorf is a nice village close to the scenic Wallersee. Usual Austrian mountain scenery in view, which is very nice. Owned the town and leased to the club at a peppercorn rent, the ground has covered seating outside the bar, plus uncovered seats (from the old Austria Salzburg ground) and a terrace on the opposite side, should segregation be needed. Not much call for it at level 5 though - they were higher.
Admission 6 euros, attendance c150. Stiegl beers in the bar including weizen on draught, which was in excellent form. The visitors are apparently from a rural Salzburg area location about as far as possible from here. They were feisty and the first half was tetchy, the holsters were clinical though and won 4-0, quite flattering a score. Both will play in the same division next season. Afterwards we drove to Salzburg for Salzburg liga Austria Salzburg v Eugendorf

Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
On the agenda:

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 3, 2019, 1:52 AM

Post #3 of 3 (459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Austria trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Austria Salzburg's Maxglan Arena I'm sure will have been covered before but there has been an addition since my first visit, the terrace behind the goal. No weizen any where in the ground. Leo joined for this one and we were well fed and watered. Subsequently I took a detour to the Stiegl brewery, which also has a number of other breweries' products and is worth a visit. Further beers at Celtic Spirit and brewpub Schnaitl - missing out on Alchimist Belge as the front door closes some time before the pub does.

Eugendorf competed first half but the 2nd half they faded and Austria won comfortably 3-0.

Friday saw a trip to Wels for Regionalliga Mitte Hertha WSC v Grazer AK.The visitors brought 100 or so and sang throughout. Grazer AK have already won this division and have eased off, losing and drawing the last two games. They were also upset here, the homessters racing to a 2 goal lead. One was pulled back but the home side held on. The Maura Stadium is 1 mile north of the town through an industrial estate. It's an athletics track, but there's a nice stand on one side (just grass bank on the other) and decent clubhouse (with weizen). Pre-match tried the Black Horse - whilst they had independent craft beers, they were all lager styles. Better was had post-game at sGerstl, where it's own weizen, zwickl and lager were supplemented with bottles from other breweries. Returning to Salzburg, I got to sKloane in time for a beer there - they close on weekends, but they have a good weizen.

Saturday I caught an Austria Salzburg fan bus to Altenmarkt for another Salzburgliga game, Altenmarkt v Austria Salzburg. No cover at this one, there is a stand in the ground but it's open seating. Visitors (when segregated, as today) are perched on a hill outside the ground itself, behind one goal. Walkers pass by on the path without charge. Incidentally, the clubhouse is also outside the ground and has a balcony view which was well used today so I'm sure more people were watchuing from outside the ground than in it. They did at least provide a beer van, which did good trade. Easy win for Austria Salzburg before heading to Vioenna, in time for a couple at Bierteufl, which has a range of taps and bottles from Austria and further afield.

No rest for the wicked on Sunday - 3 games to close out the trip. First up was Wiener Stadtliga Fach Donaufeld v Elektra, a cross-Danube derby. Donaufeld has large stand on one side, a clubhouse in the corner with seating outisde and nothing on the remainder, but you could walk around. The stand though is virtually the length of the pitch and more than enough space for the crowds. No weizen in the clubhouse. The visitors still had a shot at the title and were good value for their 2-0 win. But they did not get the result needed elsewhere.

From there, I had a pit stop at the Bever Brewing Company before heading to Elektra's own ground for an Oberliga game, the curiously named 'FC United Devils' v SC Columbia. The visitors ran out comfy winners 6-1 and this was played on the 3G, though there's not much furniture around either pitch. Leo, Kevin and Abbswolf attended, and had reduced the beer options to 2 by the time I arrived. The schnitzel was good though.

Afterwards, a taxi took us to SV Aspern for a 5pm kick off, also in the Oberliga Facilities were limited here too, a clubhouse, overhang outside and benches, with grass banking on both sides. Some quality goals were scored in a 3-3 draw. No weizen here either, with Wieslburger and Gosser beers on the menu. En route to the airport, there was just time for a swift stop at Bierteufl, handy for Vienna Mitte station from which either the s-bahn or privately run Airport train can be caught.

On the agenda:

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Jun 4, 2019, 1:09 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3