Post #1 of 11 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 29th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Yorkshire League Cup Final
Leeds City 4 Shelley Reserves 0

at West Riding County FA HQ, Fleet Lane, Woodlesford
Entrance £4, included free programme
Crowd - approx h/c 250
Hot Food & drink available and also a bar with alcohol freely drunk round the ground

This was my 1st visit to a Yorkshire ground for over a year and first ever visit to this one. Very smart and pleasant. 3G pitch seemed very well maintained. There was lots of seating down a pitch length big stand opposite the dugout side. Hard standing and metal chest-high fence and rails around the pitch, so much that you couldn't enter the pitch without great difficulty if you wanted to.

I tested out the food and drink just before KO... Small tea in polystyrene cup with no lid... £1 (worth 50p)... Very nice bacon barm/bap/whatever - with a significant amount of bacon on - was very nice, but was £2.50 (due to the high quality of it, I'd be happy with a £1.75 price, but £2.50 seemed way OTT)

Leeds City finished 2nd in the West Yorkshire League. Shelley's Reserves play 2 divisions below in Div 2, although they are promoted to Div 1 after this season. Shelley's 1st team are in the North West Counties League.

So Leeds City were favourites and played with confidence, although Shelley stayed in it for most of the game.

1-0 16 mins - easy tap in after the keeper didn't quite get to a high ball
2-0 60 mins
3-0 70 mins
4-0 around 80 mins

The West Yorkshire League Cup trophy itself looked very similar to the actual FA Cup and the officials at the presentation announced that yes it was a copy of the FA Cup.

Overall a very pleasant evening.

(This post was edited by simonsm on May 30, 2019, 12:00 AM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

May 30, 2019, 2:42 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 11 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wednesday May 29 , 2019.

Erovnuli League Round 16.

Dinamo Batumi v Sioni Bolnisi.

20-30.

@ Angisa Stadium. (Dinamo Base). Batumi Airport Highway. Another new training Academy Base.

5 - 1.

Att - 6,000. Guestimate.

Saved the best for last , brand new academy venue , again ! But much better than previous evening. If capacity is as stated 6,000 there were 7,000 here, I've not got official attendance yet , would guess at 6,000 and a raucous bunch they were.

Batumi needed to better Saburtalos goal difference by 1 tonight to go top if both teams win. Batumi started slowly and it took nearly 40 mins to score the opener with a cracking left foot strike from the edge of the box by Vladimir Mamuchasvilli and that was how the first half finished.

The second half was a cracker with goals on 61' with a penalty by Brazilian Gabriel Ramos Da Penha , 'twas never a penalty , a forward was tripped a yard outside of box , then a 25 yarder by Nigerian Benjamin Teidi put Batumi 3 - 0 up. Vladimir scored again with a chip from edge of box after a neat dribble which then put Batumi top of the league a local scribe told me.

Not for long though , an offside handball goal on 84' by Tornike Tarkhnishvilli ( I think) put a dampener on procedings , but then the big crowd went wild when Dinamo scored with 20 seconds left of the + 3 to play with a cracking right foot shot from the edge of the box by Niklos Sabanadze, this was enough to put Dinamo top.

1 Dinamo Batumi 16 11 1 4 29 16 +13 34.
2 Saburtalo 16 11 1 4 34 22 +12 34

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on May 30, 2019, 2:44 AM)

prorege

May 30, 2019, 7:55 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #3 of 11 (1589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

King Cup Semi Final
Linlithgow Rose v Bonnyrigg Rose, 0-1 AET, H.T. 0-0, F.T. 0-0, Att c.450, Admission £7, No paper, Steak and Haggis Pie and Soup £3
At Prestonfield

The King Cup has more than 120 years of history but it will have served up few poorer games than this. Linlithgow hadn’t played for three weeks and it showed. Bonnyrigg have played far too many games recently and that showed as well. One rusty team against another running on empty doesn’t make for a great spectacle.

Both teams wasted chances to settle the game in 90- minutes with a variety of scuffed shots, over-elaboration and poor decision making. It was really turgid fare. Thankfully it livened up a bit on extra time with Linlithgow losing the plot.

They really don’t like it when things don’t go there way and they tallied up three red cards in extra time, two of them for dissent. And with seconds left before a penalty shoot out Keith Lough scored the winner from close range, despite being in a suspiciously offside position and seemingly handling the ball. The meltdown from the over-entitled Black Bitches was excellent.

Bonnyrigg progress to play Tranent on Saturday in the Final, back at Linlithgow. I’d pile some cash on Tranent as Bonnyrigg were on their knees by the end of this. That game will bring to a close the East of Scotland season – the first since the influx from the Juniors. Overall it has been pretty successful, although the over commitment of the more successful teams needs to be and will be addressed.

The steak and haggis pie was every bit as good as usual – a veritable feast of animal protein and quality pastry. Soup also good.

No surprise that their was no programme as Linlithgow unlikely to do so unless forced. No doubt they will be upset by the presence of a programme at the Final on Saturday which will interfere with their raffle sales.

Karb
First Team Star

May 30, 2019, 2:47 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #4 of 11 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Montagu Cup Final Replay
Joker 6-0 Wombwell Main, at Mexborough Athletic FC
Admission £2 inc programme (reused from the original fixture), Att 185 (h/c)

Several hoppers in attendance at this one. I sat with catchagogoal, who very kindly offered me a lift back, though road closures and dodgy diversions on the way, meant I eventually got home later than if I'd just got the train as planned!

While the town of Mexborough has undoubtedly seen better days, the ground itself is well worth a visit. Shared with the cricket club, you enter by the cricket pavilion. There is terracing on two sides, crumbling in places, and a stand, which I'm reliably informed, came from the Don Valley stadium. Refreshments were available, but I didn't partake.

I'm not particularly familiar with the standard of either the Rotherham Sunday League or the Sheffield County League, but I expected the latter to be somewhat stronger. How wrong I was. Joker dominated from the first whistle to the last, though they led only 1-0 at half time. The margin of victory was helped by Wombwell largely giving up once the third goal had gone in.

4 goals for Joker's number 9, but the pick of the goals was a long range effort by the right winger on 58 minutes, which gave Joker a two goal cushion.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2019, 3:27 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #5 of 11 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Montagu Cup Final Replay

Several hoppers in attendance at this one. I sat with catchagogoal, who very kindly offered me a lift back, though road closures and dodgy diversions on the way, meant I eventually got home later than if I'd just got the train as planned!

While the town of Mexborough has undoubtedly seen better days, the ground itself is well worth a visit. Shared with the cricket club, you enter by the cricket pavilion. There is terracing on two sides, crumbling in places, and a stand, which I'm reliably informed, came from the Don Valley stadium. Refreshments were available, but I didn't partake.

The seats came from Don Valley. The structure itself used to be terracing and has been there a good while.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

May 30, 2019, 3:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 11 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Montagu Cup Final Replay

I'm not particularly familiar with the standard of either the Rotherham Sunday League or the Sheffield County League, but I expected the latter to be somewhat stronger. How wrong I was. Joker dominated from the first whistle to the last, though they led only 1-0 at half time. The margin of victory was helped by Wombwell largely giving up once the third goal had gone in.

Technically it's two Sunday teams, though there's several current or former NCEL and NPL players in both, so the top local Sunday teams tend to be a fairly high standard. (+Joker can also include players registered with Wombwell's Saturday side)

Flickr photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedribblingcode/albums
Blog (match/ground reviews) at:
http://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com
@dribblingcode on Twitter

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

May 30, 2019, 4:52 PM

Post #7 of 11 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boyspen] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was there too and very pleased half time only ten mins easily made 2031 train to Doncaster. Walked into my house in Hull just after 2200 nice easy game for my last and 50th game of the season.

In Reply To

In Reply To
Montagu Cup Final Replay

Technically it's two Sunday teams, though there's several current or former NCEL and NPL players in both, so the top local Sunday teams tend to be a fairly high standard. (+Joker can also include players registered with Wombwell's Saturday side)

New Grounds 2019/20 :189
Total Games :26
Total Goals : 81
Av Goals Per Game : 3.10
Last new Ground: 13/10/19 CDA Navalcarnero 3 Union Adarve 2
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1007 Liskeard

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 1, 2019, 11:14 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 11 (749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2. Liga
WSG Wattens 1-0 Austria Lustenau
Admission: Comp (otherwise €15), Attendance: 2861. Programme: Free

Any other combination of results would leave the issues in the balance until the final round of fixtures on Saturday, although Wattens would lose the advantage if Ried were to catch up on points, as they have the inferior goal difference of the pair.

My journey plan is relatively simple, with four hours on trains from Spittal to Wörgl and then around 35 minutes each way on the local train to get to Fritzen Wattens. My hotel says its reception is not manned until 16.00 nearly three hours after my arrival, but when I contact them, they just say to pick the key up and the desk and let myself in!

As a town, Wattens is dominated by the Swarovski works, and the company also has a huge influence on the football club with the company name embedded in the club name. It is not a one-horse town though, and I walk into the town past a large paper manufacturing plant.

The rail station is actually in Fritzens. This appears quite common along the banks of the River Inn in the Tirol. Two towns facing each other across a single river bridge, with the one to the North of the river having the railway station while the motorway connection is on the south.

The ground, named Gernot Langes after the club president. This just acts to remind us of the connection, as Langes is a member of the Swarovski family.

I enter on the west side, where there is the main stand with space for refreshment portals at each end. There is also a clubhouse at the north end, which I exit from fairly promptly as smoking in these establishments is still permitted in Austria. Having got used to smoke free establishments at home, I find it more difficult to accept the smoke. As well as the seats, the main stand also has a walkway at the top which is very popular. The singing section is to the north of the stand and appears to include the walkway and some seats in front

Opposite the main stand there is a long open standing area with a couple of raised steps. One end of this is fenced off for the away fans – a boisterous noisy section of support from Lustenau. The rest is not overpopulated with home fans. At one end of the ground, the access is narrow and closed off partway down to create a gap before the away fans. The other end makes use of a wider area, with a large semi-permanent marquee. The area next to this has covered seats also under canvass. Viewing from this area must lack a great deal, with little elevation above the pitch, behind the goal and through netting – but for clubs such as Wattens, this provides a platform to allow businesses that support the club to get something back for customers and employees and for the club to bring in much needed income by charging premium prices.

Before the game, and again at half time, we had a local band performance.
The band does not get much special treatment – three or four members were standing at the station as I picked up my train away, still in Lederhosen.

Onto the game, which was a nervy affair as far as the home side were concerned. Austria Lustenau arrived with nothing to win or lose and they did their best to give us a game, not resorting to all out defence in the hope of sneaking a point out of the game but instead going out to give their travelling fans something to cheer about.

Wattens were clearly the better side, but as they approached the goal, they were rather too eager and missed a number of chances where they really should have done better. They finally got the breakthrough on 66 minutes, when they finally took a simple approach, a free kick from the left which found the head of Cabrera. This certainly breathed relief into home fans who will have been aware that their rivals, Ried were already 1-0 at BW Linz by this point.

The game continued in much the same vein and no further goals were added here, (or for that matter in Linz). There was a celebration at the end, being the last home game of the season but this is muted being as the title is not decided until Saturday

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

northyork
Junior Team Sub

Jun 1, 2019, 12:14 PM

Post #9 of 11 (724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

the stand is the traditional colliery welfare stand like worsboro, maltby, houghton, ponte and kirby and are 1960's early 70's built they are all standing design but most are now benching or tip up seats now for ground grading, certainly swinton's stand looking good for 50 years old, would not need much for ncel apart from lights and being in swinton.

dottirofhod

Jun 1, 2019, 1:28 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #10 of 11 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The band does not get much special treatment – three or four members were standing at the station as I picked up my train away, still in Lederhosen.

=========================================

Bloody hell Leo had you been drinking again ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2019, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #11 of 11 (477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 29th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lumphanan 2-5 Banchory Youth
Mid Deeside Summer Football League
at Lumphanan Public Park, Aberdeenshire
f&n, h/c 34

Who needs to be plonked in front of a TV for a UEFA corporate's fest when there's real footy to be had. My first taste of the delights of the Mid Deeside League - summer football that runs for just a few short weeks on Wednesdays & Fridays, that my previous restrictions precluded me from ever having got to. Opening day of the season today. 7 clubs on 7 venues, I should get round the lot before this season ends on Friday 5th July.
Clear that nobody had played on here for a while - the grass was ridiculously long, being eyed deliciously by the sheep in the adjacent field that swept up from behind the trees to the hilltops. There are worse places than this to be out watching football on a summer's evening.
Very basic standard, with not much defending going on. The lead swapped hands several times as the first half finished 2-3, the visitors only breaking clear in the second half with further goals in the 66th and 87th minutes. Crowd swelled by the teenage population of the village, for whom this match was acting as a meeting point - there isn't a shopping mall to hang around in sleepy rural Aberdeenshire.

Took the via Torphins route home, but as expected the Platform 22 café there was shut - the owner brews his own in buckets in the attached house and sells it through the café. I've had some in there before.

Good stuff. More of this in the coming midweeks.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3