Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG


Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Friday 24th May 2019


John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 24, 2019, 10:01 PM

Posts: 17670
Location: Jersey

Post #1 of 8 (1644 views)
Friday 24th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jersey Quadrangular

2nd match

Rep. Ireland Amateurs 3 (18, 49, 62)
N. Ireland Amateurs 2 (57 o.g., 64 pen)

Att 76

(This post was edited by John Treleven on May 24, 2019, 10:02 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

May 24, 2019, 11:30 PM

Posts: 1093
Location: Staffs.
Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 8 (1566 views)
Re: [John Treleven] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

King Cup Semi Final. KO 19:00. Admission £6/£3. No programme. Crowd 400 ish.

Tranent 2 v 2 Crossgates Primrose (AET).. 6-5 on pens.

First thing that struck me about the ground was the immaculate condition of the pitch, it was like the proverbial carpet and the whole ground was clean and tidy. There is a large covered terrace on one side, the other is home to the dugouts.

What a cracking game! Very high standard throughout with Primrose taking an early lead and adding an absolute quality goal for their second. They were well in control at this stage but gave away a needless penalty in stoppage time and it was well dispatched to leave the home side just a goal behind at the break. Tranent dominated the second period and eventually got a well deserved equaliser. Only the home side looked likely to force a winner but lacked a real striker and squandered several good chances.

On to extra time and Crossgates remained very cautious, hoping to catch the home side on the break. Tranent looked the fitter of the two sides and again should have won it in ET.

On to penalties and they were all taken very well, the keepers rarely even getting a hand to the powerful shots. Finally the 6th penalty taker for Primrose had his shot saved and Tranent deservedly took their place in the final. A word of praise for the referee who handled the match superbly, quite a few yellow cards but all deserved, excellent official who stood no nonsense from anyone.

Great to spend the match in the excellent company of Colpic and some of the Scottish contingent.

First Team Star

May 25, 2019, 1:01 AM

Posts: 1869

Post #3 of 8 (1501 views)
Re: [Dave 56] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bishop’s Castle Town 3 Forden United 4

Treflan: Boys and Boden Montgomeryshire League Cup Final

Having not visited Treflan for nearly three years, this was my second visit to the ground within the space of a week, having watched the Montgomeryshire League’s Village Cup final last Friday evening. As I stated previously, the ground had not changed significantly over the course of the intervening period since the Mid Wales League First Division fixture I watched here between the host club and local rivals Welshpool Town at the beginning of the 2016/17 campaign. The facilities look somewhat worn and tired now, despite there being two contrasting stands and a clubhouse present, due to the damage carried out by local vandals. Forden United returned to the location of their Village Cup final defeat at the hands of First Division champions Guilsfield Reserves last week. Despite going ahead just after the half-time break, the Clos Mytton club responded with two goals of their own to complete a league and cup double. Forden United, who had concluded their league campaign as First Division runners-up, were looking to finish the season with some silverware after promotion 12 months ago. Bishops Castle Town complete the First Division campaign in third position, after having been crowned champions 12 months ago, but were able to retain the league’s own Town Cup after beating Waterloo Rovers Reserves in the final. The Manor Ground club’s last outing was their 3-2 semi-final victory over Meifod at Four Crosses’s Foxon Manor ground last Wednesday evening after having initially trailed 2-1 to the King’s Head club. This was likely to be Forden United’s last match in the Montgomeryshire League having applied for promotion to the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League. Castle, however, are currently ineligible for promotion due to their location in Shropshire but would appear to be able to apply for membership of the new tier four league in the Central Wales FA region from the beginning of the 2020/21 season.

Bishop's Castle Town had a great opportunity to open the scoring in the tenth minute of the final when a Castle forward latched on to a poor backpass by a defender and rounded the goalkeeper but could only strike the ball into the side netting. It was the league runners-up that opened the scoring after heading home from a 22nd minute free-kick into the penalty area. Forden United were presented with an opportunity to double their lead five minutes later, following a deep cross from out on the right, but a low shot at the far post was saved by the Bishop's Castle Town penalty area. The lead was eventually doubled five minutes before the interval when a driven cross to the near post was turned past the Castle goalkeeper by one of his own defenders. The Shropshire club were back in the match after halving the deficit when experienced striker Martyn Ziemann headed home from a 43rd minute cross into the danger area. Forden United went close too re-establishing their two-goal advantage five minutes after the interval when a lopping header from a cross on the right clipped the top of the crossbar. But it was Bishop's Castle Town that were on level terms in the 54th minute when Ziemann struck a first-time half-volley past the Forden United custodian from the edge of the penalty area and he came close to completing a hat-trick two minutes later but pulled his effort wide of the target. Bishop's Castle Town turned the match around when Omar Bozdag neatly finished with a low drive from a tight angle after latching on to a through ball. Forden United saw a header from a 64th minute turned behind before drawing the scores level six minutes later with a neat finish past the Castle goalkeeper following a flowing move. The Salopians saw a 30 yard drive held in the 76th minute before Ziemann agonisingly put an inviting cross wide of the far post as he stretched for the ball. Forden United turn around this remarkable final once again, with teen minutes remaining on the clock, when a close range effort was well saved by the Bishop's Castle Town goalkeeper but the rebound was headed home at the far post. An equalising goal nearly arrived five minutes later from a deep cross on the right touchline but the ball narrowly went over the crossbar rather than dropping into to net to the relief of the Forden United goalkeeper.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 880
Matches: 198
New Grounds: 16


May 25, 2019, 8:56 AM

Posts: 13657
Location: Outer Cheltenhamshire
Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 8 (1369 views)
Re: [barcud-coch] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Austria. Regionalliga Ost
ASK Ebreichsdorf 2-0 FCM Traiskirchen
Admission: €10. Attendance: 650. No programme, but free league mag

An early start and long ride for the Friday, using the direct train from Zurich to Vienna. I used some of the time to catch up my records and typing. At least by boarding at the start point, we managed to find seats. After Innsbruck the train was full to standing, so I no longer had the use of a pair of seats.
After checking into the hotel close to Wien Hauptbahnhof, the Minion and Pizzaman went in different directions. I was heading to Ebreichsdorf, to see the league leaders in Regionalliga Ost. The others, having been to my ground on an earlier trip were off to Bruck an der Leitha to see another game. They had allowed plenty of time to get there, which was just as well.

The train pulled to a halt at a small station en route, due to a fire on a preceding train. No more information was forthcoming, with the train to be sent back to Vienna. Fortunately, they managed to hook up with another passenger who called his wife to come and pick him up, and at the same time ferry them to their ground.

My journey was a little later, but much less dramatic, a simple half hour run on a train out of the main station to a place that epitomised quiet suburbia to a tee. Once those getting off the train had disappeared in various directions, I wandered down a residential road seeing no people or cars – the only noise being the barking of dogs that marked my passage past each house.

It seemed the dogs had a relay system, passing the barking baton down 50 yards each time to the next house with a pair (it appeared to all be in pairs) in the garden outside.

I headed to what was marked as a “Schloss” on my map. Actually, a private house with no access. This took me onto the quiet main street after which I doubled back towards the station and followed the railway line south to the ground.

The Sportcentrum Ebreichsdorf is actually next to Weigelsdorf station – a two-minute ride from where I had alighted, (although my train was not stopping at both). It is a simple enough stadium with stand being well elevated, but only having two rows of seats. There is a path at the top with the bar behind and quite a lot were watching from this standing area, including me in the first half.

There is a paved path on the side with the stand, while walking around any other part of the ground was on grass.

There is also a second servery downstairs, with an open covered area with seats for eating and drinking. This is where everyone pays their €10 and enters the ground. There was no programme, but an A4 magazine, published for each round of the league gives a summary of each of the games due to be played on the weekend.

Ebreichsdorf were seven points clear at the top of the table. With three games to play it means they only need one win to confirm themselves as champions. The visitors were FCM Traiskirchen. In this case, the “M” stands for Möllersdorf, a small town that is just to the north, while they have also currently added the sponsors name, “Profibox”. The blue kit has a white cross with the sponsors name inscribed there. A number of other sponsors put their names into the four blue squares left over.

Ebreichsdorf were wearing orange shirts which brought in a dark blue shading increasing in the lower areas. The shirts themselves were quite striking, but against this, sky blue shorts and socks appeared to be wrong.
Traiskirchen wanted to show there were not just at the game to make up the numbers, and attacked from the start. This meant we had an end to end game, with neither team having much time to mess around in midfield.

Ebreichsdorf had the edge, but this was not enough to get them into the lead until early in the second half. This was a simple enough knock in after the visiting keeper had failed to hold onto a corner.

The second goal came seven minutes later. It was the sort of goal that should be in the Premier League so as you can see endless repeats from different angles. Volkan Düzgün hitting a shot from distance that went over the keeper and then dipped enough to be just below the crossbar.

Chances at both ends in the remaining half hour, but no further goals before Ebreichsdorf could celebrate their title. This will not mean they take promotion to the second level of the Austrian League. Instead, they will continue to ply their trade in the Regionalliga next season.

A year ago, when the reorganisation of the higher leagues took place, four teams from this Regionalliga went up, but not Ebreichsdorf who had been runners-up. The listings say they did not apply for a license for the higher league. The license is a mixture of ground facilities and administrative and financial checks. It is unlikely that a team with everything in place to could get the license would not apply. They told me at Ebreichsdorf that they did not think it was in their interest. I took that as meaning that they would need to make changes and did not want to.

They also said that the second placed club, Mauerwerk, (formerly known as Karabakh and sharing Schwechat’s ground) would not be promoted. They a failed to go up a year ago when they failed to finish high enough in the league. With new ownership, I could not check if they had applied for a license and failed, not applied or simply cannot go up from second. As Dornbirn will probably win Regionalliga West and not go up, it seems likely there may be only one promotion and relegation between the 2. Liga and the Regionalliga this season

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at

First Team Regular

May 25, 2019, 9:06 AM

Posts: 1197

Post #5 of 8 (1350 views)
Re: [Dave 56] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Glenburn MW 1-0 Hurlford Thistle.....Ayrshire Challenge Cup Final...Adm £4 inc prog. @ Beechwood Pk Auchinleck.
A second trip to Ayrshire for tonights encounter that saw Glenburn defeat holders Hurlford to lift the Trophy.Hurlford have lifted this Cup 6 times in the last 9 years.
The games only goal came from the Miners no10 on 10 mins.The ball was poked home as the player was falling backwards but it had enough on it to beat the keeper.
In a tight game Hurlford had a player sent off on 53 mins which made a comeback even harder but the had a good spell mid way through the second half.As the Glenburn bench played every ball and their fans cheered every clearance time was fast running out.On 90+5 mins,Hurlford lost a second player to a red card as the No5 was dismissed.Not a dirty game but full of passion. The final whistle went and the fans invaded the pitch including the bloke with the drum who also manages to carry one of the players and drum at the same time.
Great scenes but no champagne or even cheapy fizz, maybe they didnt want to tempt fate.A decent crowd on,on a sunny evening in Ayrshire.
Back to the Travelodge in Ayr after a bit of scran at the chippy in Ochiltree.

Chelsea Transfer Target

May 25, 2019, 6:10 PM

Posts: 3657
Location: Robin Hood County
Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #6 of 8 (1134 views)
Re: [JT] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

20:00 @ Dearne Valley College 3G

AFP 2 {42' 71'}
Joker 2 {47' 51'}

1st versus 2nd, 3 appointed match officials, Rotherham & District Sunday League 'title-decider'... if either team had won!
Joker just need to pick up 3 points from their final league fixture this Sunday to secure a hat-trick of RDSL titles.
Around 250 watching!!

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

First Team Sub

May 28, 2019, 10:28 AM

Posts: 1091
Location: Ipswich
Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #7 of 8 (646 views)
Re: [nico] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Derry City 4 Finn Harps 0
Irish Premier League

Admission: £15
Programme: £2
Attendance: Papers gave it as region of 3,000

Slightly disappointed by the Brandywell, short walk from city centre, 3 grounds next to each other, Celtic Park (GAA) Brandywell 9football) and Brandywell (dogs). One short main stand and then opposite about 12 row maximum stand that takes up whole of one side then bends slightly beyond the two corner flags. No stands behind either goal.

Finn harps had a couple of hundred supporters and they made most of the noise but on the pitch, Derry were a class apart and played some very good football even if they were slightly wasteful in front of goal.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)

Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 19, 2019, 9:31 AM

Posts: 7067
Location: North London
Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 8 (397 views)
Re: [Dribble!] Friday 24th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Romania, 3.Liga (Group 2) 5 pm, plus one hour

CS Arsenal Tunari 1 ACS Inainate Modelu 0 (H/T 0-0)

F & N

Crowd – c.50

This was a historic occasion for me – my first ever match in Romania! You might ask why it has taken me so long to get round to visiting this country, particularly as my first trip to Eastern Europe (the Czech Republic to be precise) was as long ago as 1993. The main reason is that due to Bucharest’s awkward location (tucked away in the far south-east of the country) Romania was not really a convenient place to go to on an Inter-Rail tour. Consequently, I waited until there were lots of cheap flights from there to the UK. Mind you, I still haven’t been to Croatia yet and in contrast, I’ve already been to 34 grounds in Turkey, which isn’t even in the EU!

I flew out from London to Bucharest on Thursday 23rd May, which gave me plenty of time to prepare for my first match the following day. This match at Tunari, a village just outside Bucharest’s north-east boundary, was one of two I had to choose from on Friday. The other game (at Clinceni, south-west of Bucharest) was in the second tier but it was scheduled to kick-off an hour later at 6pm and was more difficult to get to by public transport. Even getting to Tunari was not easy – the nearest station of any sort is Aurel Vlaicu, at the end of one of the metro lines and even then it still took me around one and hour and 35 minutes to walk from there to the ground. The Bucharest metro costs about 50 pence for each journey, but single tickets are not available and you have a choice between buying a 2-ride ticket or a 10-ride ticket. Also, beware of some of the lines in the central area which are very confusing, and added to the lack of signs on some station platforms, could cause you to go in the wrong direction.

I arrived at the ground at around 3.45 pm, just as a thunderstorm was brewing. A steward was sitting by the entrance at the nearest point of the ground I had approached, but waved me into the ground despite my offers of payment. It was unclear whether free entry is the norm at this level, or if it was an end of season gesture. The rain came crashing down just as I took shelter under the roof that covers the centre section of the main stand. The pitch very quickly became flooded, particularly at one end and along one side. I was convinced that there was no chance of the game being played, but the pitch had remarkably good drainage and within a short while of the rain stopping, the condition of the pitch changed from flooded to merely waterlogged. Even then there would have been no chance of the game being played in the UK, but Romanians are clearly made of stronger stuff and everyone in the ground was determined to get the game played, although admittedly the fact that it was the end of the season might have forced their hand. The referee put the kick-off back by an hour and the home officials used wooden benches from the clubhouse to help sweep the excess surface water off the pitch. When the game finally got under way at 6 pm (to my immense relief) the pitch had improved to the extent that the only problem was heavy saturation along one flank.

The ground was the only one of the four I ticked during this trip to have stands made of concrete, which is rather surprising considering that it is used for a lower level of football than the other three grounds. There are however, only two stands. There is the main stand, which as already mentioned, has a roof over its central section. The other stand is uncovered and is behind the west goal, presumably for visiting supporters as there is segregation fencing between the two. Both are elevated well above pitch level, therefore giving excellent views, and both have red and blue backless plastic seats. There is no accommodation for spectators on the side opposite the main stand, with only dugouts and a video screen on that side. Behind the east goal is the clubhouse/dressing rooms and spectators are allowed to view from here (although this would probably not be allowed in the higher divisions, in many countries) through a wire fence.

The match was a disappointing introduction to Romanian football for me, with a lot of bad tempered attitudes between the two teams, although at least the referee’s decisions were in general met with respect. The only goal of the game was scored in the 63rd minute and was an own-goal when a defender headed a centre into his own net, although the home team did very nearly add a second in the 77th minute when they hit the post with an angled shot. After the game, I started to walk back to the metro but after about five minutes I came across a stretch of road which was so badly flooded as a result of the earlier thunderstorm that it was almost impossible to walk through it, even by using the pavement. Somehow I managed to get through it without getting too wet, but I decided to catch a bus back in case I came across any more flooding. The first bus that came along was not a proper bus (there weren’t many of those about anyway) but a minibus which was similar to a Turkish ‘dolmus’ and I travelled on it for a couple of miles before handing some coins to the driver and alighting to walk the rest of the way back to the metro, once the bus had reached a more built-up area where flooding was unlikely. It was then an uneventful journey back to my hotel.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Aug 19, 2019, 1:32 PM)


free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3