Berlin weekend

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 22, 2019, 11:41 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #1 of 7 (944 views)
Shortcut
Berlin weekend Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's May and time to meet up with old friends the Carshalton Cocoa Boys for our annual bash in Berlin. No matches could be found for Thursday evening (16th) so Friday sees each doing their own thing (two art galleries and the photographic museum occupy my day) before meeting up for:
Brandenburg Liga
Falkensee-Finkenkrug 4 Preussen Eberswalde 1
Adm. 5/3 euros Attendance 170
Set in a quiet north western suburb the Sportplatz is a basic affair, a small area of seating but no cover. However there is the usual well-appointed club house and beer and bratwurst outlet.The hosts are in desperate need of the points to avoid the drop and they manage it in some style and eventual comfort. The take the lead on the half hour when forward Lenz dances through the opposition defence to score and we are treated to the first of four blasts of the "can-can", a curious choice indeed for goal celebration music. Noticeable this evening is that officials (female referee and one assistant) are "miked up", unusual I would have thought for this level (six). The ladies are let down somewhat by their male assistant who, had he been up with play, would surely have flagged the hosts second goal offside. From then on the result was never in doubt but FF still have work to do, one point ahead of a relegation place with three to play.
On Saturday we had planned to visit the Frederich Ludwig Jahn stadium, home of Dynamo and rumoured due for demolition but on arrival we were told that tenants Altglienicke's game had been moved to an adjoining featureless pitch so, photos taken, we made a dash for:
Oberliga Nord
Lichtenberg 47 2 Tennis Borussia 0
Adm 10/5 euros Programme 1 euro Att: 1,425
The Hans Zoschke Arena is as just as I remembered it from a visit five years ago but much busier today for this vital fixture. A win would guarantee Lichtenberg the title and they duly achieved this although they had to wait for an hour to break the deadlock. TeBe were hugely disappointing and their spoiling antics, the full array of diving and feigning injury malarkey, turned this into the least enjoyable of the weekend's matches. Needless to say the final whistle was greeted by wild celebrations.Not sure whether or not they will need floodlights or other ground improvements to be accepted into the Regionalliga.
However, there would be little to celebrate for this travelling quartet as the evening unfolded with more national embarrassment. Last, bottom of the table, worse than San Marino. A peoples' vote failed to rescue the situation, no sympathy from our antipodean kith and kin to boot and we have nothing on which to reflect but past glories: Katie Boyle, Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson, Mickey and Griff. Sadly, tonight, our boy took one hell of a beating. Will the Donald come to our aid with a season's loan of a top American singer/songwriter to end 21 years of hurt? We can but dream.
Our hopes of a Sunday double are dashed when two morning kick offs we had inked in are moved to the afternoon. So it was a mooch around the antique market at Ostbahnhof. Heavy on stamps, vinyl, coins and general DDR tat there were a few football programmes but no great bargains. Twenty five euros was being asked for a good copy of the Berlin v London game from the early fifties. On the short journey to our next game we picked up Union fans on their way to the club to watch on tv their team's crucial away fixture at Bochum. I could imagine the pandemonium as two goals in the last ten minutes earned the them point needed for a play off spot.
Berlin Liga
Sparta Lichtenberg 7 TSV Rudow 3
Adm 5/3 euros
Again a smart clubhouse but no football furniture. However, the playing surface, as with the two earlier venues, is in remarkably good condition. Ideal for a slick quality passing game, and that's exactly what was served up.The hosts kept up the pressure on leaders SV Tasmania, two points ahead with two to play, with a sparkling display of attacking football despite conceding two penalties in the 10th and 12th minutes.. Level with two in two minutes just before the break, they went 4-2 up before Rudow pegged one back with a third penalty, scored by a third different player. Strangely the Sparta 'keeper who had given away the three spots kicks, escaped a caution.. Sparta then raced away with it; great entertainment for the 87 present on a very warm afternoon.
So all to quickly the games and fun came to a close and Monday saw us take a mid-morning flight back to Poundland.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 22, 2019, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 7 (933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Berlin weekend [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The NOFV has told L47 of the requirements necessary to ensure that Regionalliga football can be staged at the Hans Zoschke Arena and surprisingly (for me anyway) floodlights are not amongst them. Good news that the club can carry on playing in this nice ground and all the surrounding history.

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

May 22, 2019, 12:37 PM

Post #3 of 7 (901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Berlin weekend [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glad to see they can play at home. Looking forward to going there again next season.

Tim Johnson

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

May 22, 2019, 5:41 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #4 of 7 (804 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] Berlin weekend [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I too was in Berlin on Sunday. I really messed up with my planning as I was hoping to go to the Lichtenberg v Tennis game. Somehow I got the wrong day and was left scratching for something to watch. So I had four games that looked of any interest:

BFC Pruessen v TUS Makkabi – already been there once
Stern Berlin Steglitz v Turkiyemspor – already been there twice
Blau Weiss Berlin v Griefswalder – new visit
Sparta Lichtenberg v Rudow – went to the old ground but the new one would be a first visit

I went down to BFC first and found out they no longer issued programmes but offered a team sheet instead. They also wanted 7 euro to get in. If anyone is interested they do have a club shop. I didn’t fancy this one so jumped on a bus to Stern. Although they are poorly supported they appear to be a well-run club. The entrance fee was 6 euro with free programmes and team sheets at the entrance. This is a one sided ground with three deep steps of terracing along one side with park benches on them. It’s was quite pleasant sitting in the sun on my own bench sipping ice cold fizz. They also have a decent clubhouse where you can get a nice sit down meal. Either eat inside or sit outside on the small terrace. They also have a glass cabinet with souvenirs available to purchase.

This was decent game. 2-2 after 20 minutes and 3-3 at half time. The second half – no further goals.

To finish off my day I jumped on another bus to Blau Weiss the former Bundesliga (1 season) club. When I got there it was another disappointment. The ground has no football furniture apart from a couple of shallow steps of terracing. The clubhouse did not appear to be open but there was an outdoor food and drink stall. They also do not issue a programme. Instead I went down to Sparta to catch the end of their game. After which I watched the second half of the Bochum v Union game in their clubhouse. It was a bit raucous due to a slightly drunk bloke who was supporting Bochum. He shouted and gesticulated throughout the game but he was known to the Union supporters so this probably helped him avoiding being slapped by one of them.

So overall not a bad day. I do wonder though why a lot of lower league German clubs have no cover at their grounds?

kirby knitters

May 23, 2019, 12:08 PM

Post #5 of 7 (603 views)
Shortcut

Looking at the OP comment on being told the Altglienicke v Nordhausen game on Saturday was being played on one of the outside pitches.
Game was played in the main stadium with 117 in attendance.

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 23, 2019, 9:35 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #6 of 7 (445 views)
Shortcut

I'm more than a little surprised at this. We were at the gates at 12.40 for a 13.30 kick off. There were four or five security guards at the main entrance. One told is, in perfectly good English, that the game was to be played on an alternative pitch in the sports complex. Other spectators could be seen heading there. Our request to take photos inside the stadium was firmly denied.

kirby knitters

May 24, 2019, 7:44 AM

Post #7 of 7 (332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Berlin weekend [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was on the VSG site looking for any info on ground move for next season and there are photos from Saturday's game which show it took place in the stadium.

SV Empor played Spandauer Kickers on one of the outer pitches at 14;00 on Saturday in the Berlin Liga but still strange for you to be told what you were.

If these security guys were standing at the bottom of the steps to the main entrance then there must have been a game on as there is usually nobody there and picture taking inside the stadium is easily done by just walking through open gates on the curve.

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on May 24, 2019, 8:42 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3