Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
Watching foitball in israel

stanley nick
Youth Team Sub

May 21, 2019, 7:03 PM

Post #1 of 4 (727 views)
Shortcut
Watching foitball in israel Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anybody had any experiences of watching football in Israel.
Next January looking to be based in Tel Aviv for 10 days
Of footy and the cultural sites
WILL the Bloomfield stadium be up and running by then

Thanks in advance

Nick

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

May 21, 2019, 8:00 PM

Post #2 of 4 (677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanley nick] Watching foitball in israel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I went for just over a week at the end of 2012.

Split my time between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, and took in a Maccabi TA game at the Bloomfield. I bought a ticket at a branch of the Le-An ticket agency a day or two before the game. It was by no means full and tickets were on sale on the day at the ground. Another advantage of the agency was a very helpful girl ensuring I got a good seat, ahead of any pillars etc.

I had no problems at all with security, but you do need to be flexible - things can change at a few hours notice in terms of what will be open or sealed off. A few weeks before I went there were rockets landing near Tel Aviv, and shortly after the entire Dome of the Rock was off limits to visitors. Obviously security is pretty full on with searches at places like bus and train stations, so allow a bit of time if you're catching any transport.

Tel Aviv is a lot more laid back than Jerusalem though I would recommend a day or two in the latter. There is simply so much history to see. Getting around was easy enough. There's a train from the airport to central Tel Aviv, and I used the bus to get from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and then a day trip from Jerusalem to Bethlehem.

Don't expect a cheery welcome at the passport counter, but just answer their questions calmly and clearly with no joking about and you should be fine. I assume you don't have any stamps from the likes of any of the Gulf States etc? There isn't a blanket ban on entry in the same way there can be in reverse with Israeli entry stamps, but it's not going to make your inquisition any more pleasant!

(This post was edited by Wheelbarrow on May 21, 2019, 8:04 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2019, 9:03 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #3 of 4 (353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Watching foitball in israel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Be prepared for a lengthy grilling at passport control when you arrive, and give yourself plenty of time ahead your flight back from Tel Aviv ... took me ages to pass security just to get as far as the check in desk.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Callum
Youth Team Sub

May 28, 2019, 11:56 AM

Post #4 of 4 (243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Watching foitball in israel [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had a great visit back in April.
SpitfireDave had recently been and told me about the strict way the border control acted but I had no issues although I did come in on the cheaper wizz air route via Sibiu like many others.
Stayed in Netanya and hired a car, went north to Haifa, Sea of Galilee, Nazareth and Acre first day.
Sunday went to Netanya v Maccabi Tel Aviv. Stadium about 40 mins walk out of the city but had pre drinks in the industrial estate south of the stadium , Beer Shop, Shamrock and Murphys all very good. Ticket transaction was one of the quickest I've had abroad, no ID all tickets same price.
Made two visits in Palestine one into Bethlehem caught the 231 Arab bus from Damascus gate which drops you off just 5 mins walk east of 'the wall' and leaves you a 20 min walk up to the nativity church. On return visit only the local girls had to get off to enter back into Israel we were left alone. This bus cost 2 , loved it.
2 days after went to Ramallah , caught the bus 1 street (block?) East of Damascus gate station, caught the 218 but many go inc 219 18 19 just ask someone very helpful this bus station also goes to Hebron. Much different journey going via the famous Qalandia checkpoint but Ramallah was great very modern bus arrives into town very near the main football stadium if I had known how easy it was to enter Palestine I would have gone for football on the first day Saturday.
Train system seems great if you download the map you'll find some run 24/7 might help you pick your destination.
Thought Jerusalem and Tel Aviv were also cracking cities, you'll have a great time.

(This post was edited by Callum on May 28, 2019, 12:04 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3