League names

kivo
First Team Regular

Apr 21, 2019, 8:27 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 25 (7950 views)
Shortcut
League names Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not necessarily 'restructuring', but will be affected by the planned changes to the pyramid in forthcoming years.
Will the names of the divisions at Steps 3 and 4 will be amended from the shambles as we see it now?

It's very confusing for a seasoned non-league fan, so no idea how on earth a non-non-leaguer would make sense of the different divisions.

In a few years we'll have a 4-8 set-up at Steps 3 & 4.

The logical solution would be to have four separate leagues each having one Step 3 division and two Step 4 divisions.

However, it's more likely that we'll see the Southern League running two Step 3 divisions and two Step 4 divisions, the Isthmian League running one Step 3 division and three Step 4 divisions, the Northern Premier League running one Step 3 division and two Step 4 divisions and the Northern League running one Step 4 division.

The creation of a new organisation (the much-vaunted Central League?) to run one Step 3 and two Step 4's would solve all of this, but doesn't seem likely when current leagues fancy more power.

Then there are the individual division names - all the Step 3 divisions should be named the Premier Division and the Step 4 divisions Division One (followed by the geographic term).

Instead, we currently haveEvostik Premier
Evostik East
Evostik West
Evostik South Premier
Evostik South East
Evostik South West
Bostik Premier
Bostik East
Bostik South Central
Bostik South East

Good luck at guessing which of the above are at Step 3 or Step 4 if you're not in the know.

(This post was edited by kivo on Apr 21, 2019, 10:26 PM)

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 21, 2019, 9:24 PM

Post #2 of 25 (7771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Then there are the individual division names - all the Step 5 divisions should be named the Premier Division and the Step 6 divisions Division One

Or even better Division One and Division Two.

ladderman

Apr 21, 2019, 10:02 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #3 of 25 (7669 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Not necessarily 'restructuring', but will be affected by the planned changes to the pyramid in forthcoming years.
Will the names of the divisions at Steps 3 and 4 will be amended from the shambles as we see it now?

It's very confusing for a seasoned non-league fan, so no idea how on earth a non-non-leaguer would make sense of the different divisions.

The logical solution would be to have four separate leagues each having one Step 5 division and two Step 6 divisions.

However, it's more likely that we'll see the Southern League running two Step 5 divisions and two Step 6 divisions, the Isthmian League running one Step 5 division and three Step 6 divisions, the Northern Premier League running one Step 5 division and two Step 6 divisions and the Northern League running one Step 6 division.
The creation of a new organisation (the much-vaunted Central League?) to run one Step 5 and two Step 6's would solve all of this, but doesn't seem likely when current leagues fancy more power.

Then there are the individual division names - all the Step 5 divisions should be named the Premier Division and the Step 6 divisions Division One (followed by the geographic term).
Evostik East
Evostik West
Evostik South Premier
Evostik South East
Evostik South West
Bostik Premier
Bostik East
Bostik South Central
Bostik South East

Good luck at guessing which of the above are at Step 3 or Step 4 if you're not in the know.

You're clearly struggling to differeniciate between steps 3,4,5 and 6.

(This post was edited by ladderman on Apr 21, 2019, 10:03 PM)

kivo
First Team Regular

Apr 21, 2019, 10:25 PM

Post #4 of 25 (7593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Then there are the individual division names - all the Step 5 divisions should be named the Premier Division and the Step 6 divisions Division One

Or even better Division One and Division Two.

Indeed

Terrierdave
Youth Team Star

Apr 23, 2019, 9:04 AM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 25 (6824 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
However, it's more likely that we'll see the Southern League running two Step 3 divisions and two Step 4 divisions, the Isthmian League running one Step 3 division and three Step 4 divisions, the Northern Premier League running one Step 3 division and two Step 4 divisions and the Northern League running one Step 4 division.

Other than the fact they have applied to run the division, what else makes you think that they will actual win? Personally, I would be amazed if the NPL don't get it, as anything else would be completely out of step (pun not intended).

Richard Rundle

Apr 23, 2019, 7:10 PM

Post #6 of 25 (6349 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Terrierdave] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Other than the fact they have applied to run the division, what else makes you think that they will actual win? Personally, I would be amazed if the NPL don't get it, as anything else would be completely out of step (pun not intended).

The Northern League have just tweeted (https://twitter.com/theofficialnl/status/1120750545818521606) that they have been unsuccessful in their application to run the new Step 4 Division.

dcuk
Junior Team Star

Apr 23, 2019, 7:18 PM

Team(s): Tonbridge Angels, Norwich City

Post #7 of 25 (6315 views)
Shortcut

From the NL statement:

We believe the decision will have far-reaching consequences for non-league football in the region.

This is surely nonsense, the new Step 4 division will cover the same geographical area regardless of who administers it!

(This post was edited by dcuk on Apr 23, 2019, 7:43 PM)

Richard Rundle

Apr 23, 2019, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 25 (6272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcuk] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

We believe the decision will have far-reaching consequences for non-league football in the region.

This is surely nonsense, the new Step 4 division will cover the same geographical area regardless of who administers it!

For the avoidance of doubt, the above is not quoting me, but a part of the Northern League statement.

dcuk
Junior Team Star

Apr 23, 2019, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Tonbridge Angels, Norwich City

Post #9 of 25 (6252 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

For the avoidance of doubt, the above is not quoting me, but a part of the Northern League statement.

Thanks Richard, I've edited :)

hawkwind
First Team Star

Apr 24, 2019, 1:48 AM

Post #10 of 25 (5910 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The logical solution would be to have four separate leagues each having one Step 3 division and two Step 4 divisions.

The creation of a new organisation (the much-vaunted Central League?) to run one Step 3 and two Step 4's would solve all of this, but doesn't seem likely when current leagues fancy more power.

Then there are the individual division names - all the Step 3 divisions should be named the Premier Division and the Step 4 divisions Division One (followed by the geographic term).

Evostik East
Evostik West
Evostik South Premier
Evostik South East
Evostik South West
Bostik Premier
Bostik East
Bostik South Central
Bostik South East

I know it's confusing and I agree a number of league divisions could be better named in line with your suggestion but perhaps the current situation isn't quite as bad as you implied.

The Southern League has two divisions at both Steps 3 and 4 and their names of Premier Central, Premier South, One Central and One South seem ok to me.

The Isthmian League I would rename the three Step Four leagues from North, South East and South Central to One North, One South and One West respectively which is both simpler and fits better the locations of the clubs.

The Northern Premier League again at Step 4 add "One" to each division name. (Perhaps in the near future we'll see a NPL1N, NPL1W and NPL1E?)

The above is pragmatic least change but I agree with posters who would prefer divisions to be named One and Two rather than Premier and One.

chienmort
First Team Sub

Apr 30, 2019, 11:10 AM

Team(s): Poole Town FC, Queens Park RANGERS.

Post #11 of 25 (4927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Evostik East
Evostik West
Evostik South Premier
Evostik South East
Evostik South West
Bostik Premier
Bostik East
Bostik South Central
Bostik South East

I know it's confusing and I agree a number of league divisions could be better named in line with your suggestion but perhaps the current situation isn't quite as bad as you implied.

The Southern League has two divisions at both Steps 3 and 4 and their names of Premier Central, Premier South, One Central and One South seem ok to me.

The Isthmian League I would rename the three Step Four leagues from North, South East and South Central to One North, One South and One West respectively which is both simpler and fits better the locations of the clubs.

The Northern Premier League again at Step 4 add "One" to each division name. (Perhaps in the near future we'll see a NPL1N, NPL1W and NPL1E?)

The above is pragmatic least change but I agree with posters who would prefer divisions to be named One and Two rather than Premier and One.

It might also help if the NPL and Southern were not required to Evostik in their names.

Poole Town FC - les couilles du chien

derekn
First Team Star

Apr 30, 2019, 6:16 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #12 of 25 (4449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chienmort] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just ignore sponsors names, they're Isthmian, Southern and Northern Premier.

shimtoan
First Team Regular

May 1, 2019, 2:58 AM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #13 of 25 (4061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

hear hear

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 1, 2019, 10:56 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #14 of 25 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shimtoan] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

hear hear

Sponsors plough thousands of pounds into these leagues. Ignoring the names is rather churlish. They deserve all the name recognition they can get.

derekn
First Team Star

May 1, 2019, 11:02 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #15 of 25 (3740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Then call them Bostik Isthmian, Evostik Southern and Evostik Northern Premier.

cope1

May 1, 2019, 7:21 PM

Post #16 of 25 (3389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It depends what you're using it for. The press should absolutely use the sponsored name and it should be used in any kind of formal context as it serves to promote the sponsor and make the league more attractive as a sponsorship proposition which results in more money for the league and it's clubs. However, I personally stick to 'real' names in my geeky spreadsheets, etc, because I prefer the continuity and I've got no reason to care about sponsorship.

cope1

May 1, 2019, 7:30 PM

Post #17 of 25 (3380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Round my way we have the Ryman League. Nobody's heard of the Isthmian League and if you mention the Bostik League you have to explain that it was what used to be called the Ryman League. That opens up a whole new can of worms as, with furrowed brows, people ask if the Ryman League has folded or been taken over. At this point you'd be wise to just stop explaining but if you try to explain that Ryman was only the sponsored name and that now the sponsor is Bostik people will start finishing their pints and putting on their coats.

To be honest, anyone left after that is probably worth avoiding. It might seem frustrating when people don't understand these things, but one pint with anyone who does is usually enough to have you wishing you'd kept your mouth shut.

kivo
First Team Regular

May 1, 2019, 7:51 PM

Post #18 of 25 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

S1 Conference National
S2 Conference North-----Conference South
S3 Northern League 1-----Midland League 1-----South-Western League 1-----South-Eastern League 1
S4 Northern League 2 (x2)-----Midland League 2 (x2)-----South-Western League 2 (x2)-----South-Eastern League 2 (x2)

It's as simple as that, but been made so confusing.

We have a Southern League, a Midland League and a Northern League, but one is at Steps 3&4 while the others are at Steps 5&6.

One Step 3&4 league is named after something to do with ancient Greece...

Two separate Step 3&4 leagues have the same sponsor name.

Trying to get people into non-league football is such a chore because folk haven't got a clue what level of football their local team is at.

(This post was edited by kivo on May 1, 2019, 7:55 PM)

shimtoan
First Team Regular

May 1, 2019, 9:00 PM

Post #19 of 25 (3286 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
S1 Conference National
S2 Conference North-----Conference South
S3 Northern League 1-----Midland League 1-----South-Western League 1-----South-Eastern League 1
S4 Northern League 2 (x2)-----Midland League 2 (x2)-----South-Western League 2 (x2)-----South-Eastern League 2 (x2)

It's as simple as that, but been made so confusing.

We have a Southern League, a Midland League and a Northern League, but one is at Steps 3&4 while the others are at Steps 5&6.

Two separate Step 3&4 leagues have the same sponsor name.

Trying to get people into non-league football is such a chore because folk haven't got a clue what level of football their local team is at.

The women's system is more logical namewise

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

Reborn Yellow
Youth Team Regular

May 1, 2019, 9:10 PM

Team(s): Hucknall Town, Nottingham Forest

Post #20 of 25 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Further down we have more Greek names including one coupled with a dubious geographical location. We have united and combined counties. ‘Northern’ leagues that stretch into the Midlands. A pair of West Yorkshire leagues and of course, the Central Midlands, which is sort of north-east Midlands and southern Yorkshire. Not forgetting all the First Divisions which aren't

Dingo
Junior Team Star

May 1, 2019, 9:19 PM

Post #21 of 25 (3242 views)
Shortcut

This is my stab at this game (for 20/21)

I understand the views of previous poster’s,but this is my attempt at a realistic solution (ie the Southern League are very unlikely to give up one of their two step 3 divisions) and an amalgamation of my favourite opinions so far:

S1 x1-------------------------------------------National League
S2 x2-------------National (North)----------------------------------National (South)
S3 x4 Northern Premier-Southern Premier Midlands-Southern Premier South West-Isthmian Premier
S4 x8 Northern 1(n/e),1(n/w),1(east)-Southern 1(central),1(south)-Isthmian 1(north),1(s/e),1(west)

It is so annoying that the Southern League has the word ‘’Southern’’ in the title,makes it a tough one to get around.

Personally I think its important for the eight divisions at step 4 to have different geographic names,so:
North,North East,East,South East,South,South West(already used at step 3),West,North West and Central

(This post was edited by Dingo on May 1, 2019, 9:27 PM)

cope1

May 2, 2019, 7:59 PM

Post #22 of 25 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dingo] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree on the issue of having all eight step 4 leagues named uniquely. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be good to remove them from the various empires and have them represented as part of the while.0

knmeynell
Youth Team Star

May 2, 2019, 8:01 PM

Post #23 of 25 (2481 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

One Step 5 league is also named after the modern version of said country, whilst another is named after a long defunct Anglo-Saxon kingdom.

shimtoan
First Team Regular

May 2, 2019, 9:16 PM

Post #24 of 25 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knmeynell] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

One Step 5 league is also named after the modern version of said country, whilst another is named after a long defunct Anglo-Saxon kingdom.

3 at Step 5 give you no clue as to where they could be geographically, and another is innaccurate with it's geographical name

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2019, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #25 of 25 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] League names [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Round my way we have the Ryman League. Nobody's heard of the Isthmian League and if you mention the Bostik League you have to explain that it was what used to be called the Ryman League. That opens up a whole new can of worms as, with furrowed brows, people ask if the Ryman League has folded or been taken over. At this point you'd be wise to just stop explaining but if you try to explain that Ryman was only the sponsored name and that now the sponsor is Bostik people will start finishing their pints and putting on their coats.

To be honest, anyone left after that is probably worth avoiding. It might seem frustrating when people don't understand these things, but one pint with anyone who does is usually enough to have you wishing you'd kept your mouth shut.

I remember in the programme for a season-opener in the mid 90s in the SWL (Okehampton v Wadebridge), one player's profile mentioned reverentially that he had Diadora experience. The nearest mid Devon has ever had to Pele turning up.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3