Farm/Feeder Clubs

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 22, 2019, 10:20 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #1 of 4 (1766 views)
Shortcut
Farm/Feeder Clubs Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was wondering what the rules are regarding Farm/Feeder Teams in this Country, I know we see teams like Brackley Town Saints a few steps down from Brackley and other reserve teams in the League System

I was wondering if PL and EFL teams officially have feeder teams in the National League System, could say Newcastle buy a stake Gateshead, Sunderland buy a stake in South Shields or Middlesbrough buy a stake Hartlepool or Darlington and become a part of the bigger clubs business.

Also, could something like that see money filter down through the Leagues with smaller clubs getting Money from bigger clubs to help with the coaching and development of Young players

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 23, 2019, 12:11 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 4 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Farm/Feeder Clubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do we need a new thread on things that have been discussed at length in the past - such as the status of Brackley Town Saints.
None of the 92 have a stake in lower clubs, and I do not think FA rules would allow it. A purely commercial agreement between two entities could be created, hence allowing the lower club to keep independent while obtaining assistance from a higher level, although I do not see much benefit for Newcastle in making such an agreement with Gateshead - they would probably see Carlisle United as a better fit to their players needs (and more so in seasons when Carlisle are in League-1 rather than League-2). I am sure fans of clubs at League-1 and League-2 level would be against this, seeing it as reserves in disguise.
I do not know enough about the financial structures to say this with absolute certainty, but I suspect that this is how the affiliate programmes work in Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer, with the affiliated clubs being an enterprise in their own right, but with a contractual link to a bigger organisation. Hence, the Fresno Grizzlies were affiliated to the SF Giants when I went, but have since had a four year spell as an affiliate of the Houston Astros and are now linked to the Washington Nationals.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

Wijit99
Junior Team Star

Mar 23, 2019, 1:28 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Farm/Feeder Clubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Officially you can't have feeder clubs, however, there are a few clubs who have unofficial agreements in regards to loaning young players.

There are also a few cases in England where coaches from a league team are involved with non league teams and obviously can help acquire a few youth players on loan.

Quite a few premier league clubs have feeder clubs abroad though. Chelsea and Vitesse in the Netherlands being one example. Their of course is the obvious link between Man City and New York City in USA.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 24, 2019, 2:04 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 4 (653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wijit99] Farm/Feeder Clubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Officially you can't have feeder clubs, however, there are a few clubs who have unofficial agreements in regards to loaning young players.

There are also a few cases in England where coaches from a league team are involved with non league teams and obviously can help acquire a few youth players on loan.

Quite a few premier league clubs have feeder clubs abroad though. Chelsea and Vitesse in the Netherlands being one example. Their of course is the obvious link between Man City and New York City in USA.

The City Football Group is 87% owned by Abu Dhabi United Group (i.e. Sheik Mansour), and 13% by Chinese companies CITIC and China Media Capital.

The group has 100% ownership of Manchester City, Melbourne City and Club Atletico Torque (Uruguay). They have 80% ownership of New York City, the other partner being the holding company of the Yankees' Baseball Team.

They have a 44.3% share in Spanish Club Girona, an equivalent share holding is with the Girona Football Group, a consortium led by Pere Guardiola. (Yes, the brother of the Man City manager).

They hold a minority share, 20% of J1-League club Yokohama F-Marinos with Nissan holding the majority share

In February, they added a stake in Sichuan Jiuniu FC. A Chinese Second Division (as in third tier) club. Towards the end of last season, Jiuniu was relocated from Zigong to the larger Longquanyi Stadium in Chongqing (180 km away). This resulted in a drop in crowds! However, the Longquanyi stadium pitch was recently damaged by a pop concert and the first five matches of the new season are back in Zigong. This rather puts a kybosh on the idea that the connection with Man City will boost interest in the city, as by the time they play at home, it will be results that count

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3