Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Obituaries and Remembrances:
Gordon Banks (Chesterfield, Leicester, Stoke, England)

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 12, 2019, 10:00 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #1 of 5 (5358 views)
Shortcut
Gordon Banks (Chesterfield, Leicester, Stoke, England) Can't Post or Reply Privately

Former England goalkeeper & legend Gordon Banks has died aged 81. Part of the 1966 World Cup winning side. RIP Gordon

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Feb 12, 2019, 1:07 PM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Feb 12, 2019, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #2 of 5 (5331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Gordon Banks (Stoke City, Leicester City & England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is not often I am heartbroken by the passing of a former player, but today is the exception.

Gordon Banks was my boyhood hero, who I wanted to emulate, and as a 9 year old I was mortified when his career was ended by that horrific car crash.

Only a few weeks previously, I had seen him play.

My dad took me to Ipswich to watch Gordon Banks play for Stoke City in a league cup tie.

Many years later, I was working in media and I was at press day at a trade event. Gordon Banks was there doing some publicity work. I bided my time and plucked up the courage to approach him and ask for his autograph.

I was shaking like a leaf, genuinely. To say he was a gentleman would be the understatement of all time. I told him of the game I had seen him play and that he had been my boyhood hero. Not only did I get the autograph, but a good conversation with him, and he remembered the game I had been at.

I recall him wishing me well, and I reciprocated , walking away feeling incredible. But it was Gordon Banks who made me feel that way, he put me at ease and spoke to me as though I was an old mate.

What a gentleman, and of course what a fantastic goalkeeper.

My condolences go to his family and friends.

Thank you Gordon for those few minutes in the mid eighties, when you made a very ordinary chap feel ten feet tall.

Rest in Peace, England’s Number 1, No 1.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Feb 12, 2019, 11:20 AM)

nozer
Junior Team Regular

Feb 12, 2019, 12:45 PM

Team(s): Everton,Wolves.

Post #3 of 5 (5246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Gordon Banks (Stoke City, Leicester City & England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

RIP Gordon Banks.
Yes I saw him play many times brilliant goalkeeper, no glove days and he hardly ever punched the ball away caught everything unlike today's who hardly ever catch anything.
Just watch match of the day and clock how many goals are scored from keepers ushering ball around the post when Thay could so easily have caught it.

Gc

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2019, 12:46 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #4 of 5 (5246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Gordon Banks (Stoke City, Leicester City & England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Without a doubt one of the games true greats and a fine gentleman too.

RIP Gordon

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Feb 12, 2019, 12:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 5 (5239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Gordon Banks (Chesterfield, Leicester, Stoke, England) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BANKS, Gordon

born 30th December 1937 Sheffield
died Tuesday 12th February 2019, aged 81, Stoke

1953 Millspaugh
1953 Rawmarsh Welfare
1953–1958 Chesterfield Youth

1958–1959 Chesterfield 23
1959–1967 Leicester City 293
1967–1973 Stoke City 194
1967 Cleveland Stokers (loan) 7
1971 Hellenic (loan) 3
1977–1978 Fort Lauderdale Strikers 37
1977 St. Patrick's Athletic (loan) 1

1961 England U23 2
1963–1972 England 73

1979–1980 Telford United (manager)

Early career

Banks was brought up in the working class area of Tinsley in Sheffield. The family later moved to Catcliffe village after his father set up a, then illegal, betting shop. This brought greater prosperity but also misery as Banks's disabled brother was mugged for the shop's daily takings, and died of his injuries some weeks later.

Banks left school in December 1952 and took up employment as a bagger with a local coal merchant, which built up his upper body strength.

He spent a season playing for amateur side Millspaugh after their regular goalkeeper failed to turn up for a match. The club trainer spotted Banks in the spectators and invited him to play in goal as he knew that Banks had played for Sheffield Schools.

His performances there earned him a game in the Yorkshire League for Rawmarsh Welfare. However 2-12 & 1-3 defeats had him dropped by Rawmarsh after those matches and he returned to Millspaugh. Still only 15, he became a hod carrier.

He was spotted by Chesterfield playing for Millspaugh, and offered a six game trial in the youth team in March 1953. He impressed enough to be offered a part time £3 a week contract by the manager in July 1953.

The reserve team were placed in the Central League on account of a powerful club director rather than on merit, and Banks conceded 122 goals in the 1954–55 season as the "Spireites" finished in last place with only three victories.

Banks was posted to Germany with the Royal Signals on national service, and won the Rhine Cup with his regimental team.

He recovered from a fractured elbow to help the Chesterfield youth team to the 1956 final of the F.A. Youth Cup where they were beaten 4–3 on aggregate by Manchester United's "Busby Babes" including Wilf McGuinness and Bobby Charlton.

Banks was given his first team debut in a Third Division game against Colchester United at Saltergate in November 1958. By the end of the season he had missed only three games, all due to injury.

With no goalkeeping coach to guide him Banks soon developed into a modern vocal goalkeeper who ordered the players in front of him into a more effective defence.

Having made just 23 league and three cup appearances it came as a surprise to Banks when Matt Gillies, manager of First Division club Leicester City, bought him from Chesterfield for £7,000 in July 1959 with a wage increase to £15 a week.

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Feb 12, 2019, 1:06 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3