Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Unusual clubs, players and staff

groundhopper87
Ballboy/girl

Feb 11, 2019, 9:32 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4261 views)
Shortcut
Unusual clubs, players and staff Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wanted to tap into the knowledge of the posters on here to find out if there are any hidden gems to visit on my groundhopping trips.

I regularly try to get to as many grounds around the UK as possible and like to visit somewhere with a bit of a story. Maybe an unusual team (I've been to see Fire United recently) or players or manager, but find it hard to find too many. For example, I can see there used to be a team with lots of over-50s playing for them, but can't find them now.

Is there anywhere anyone would recommend to visit with an interesting back story?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 11, 2019, 11:19 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 7 (4099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groundhopper87] Unusual clubs, players and staff [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the risk of stirring up several hornets' nests in one go (given past discussions on here Angelic), off the top of my head there's Hashtag United, Clapton CFC, Corinthian-Casuals and Stonewall. AC London would've been worth a shout too but they sealed their own demise earlier this season.

groundhopper87
Ballboy/girl

Feb 12, 2019, 10:20 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Unusual clubs, players and staff [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great, thank you. I've seen a couple of these sides previously and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

I don't know too much about the new club at Clapton. What's the background there?

spen666
Youth Team Regular

Feb 12, 2019, 10:34 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [groundhopper87] Unusual clubs, players and staff [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Great, thank you. I've seen a couple of these sides previously and this is exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

I don't know too much about the new club at Clapton. What's the background there?

Grabs popcorn & case of beer and site back ready for the internet fight o come....AngelicAngelic

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 13, 2019, 2:55 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 7 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Both Google and the search function at the bottom of the page on this site will bring up plenty about them, but you'll quickly get the gist of it here (before losing the will to live!): https://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...earch_string=Clapton

New Forest
Junior Team Star

Feb 13, 2019, 9:23 AM

Team(s): Leyton then Waltham Forest now Walthamstow

Post #6 of 7 (3054 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The Clapton Ultras fell out with the chairman at Clapton. Its along story that has been gone over time and time again. All you need to know that these days Clapton Community play at Wadham Lodge on one of the outside pitches without floodlights. So they kick off at 14.00 during the winter. As its gets lighter they will KO at 14.30. Time it right and you could have seen Clapton CFC first and then strolled over to the main stadium to watch Walthamstow (Waltham Forest) or Leyton Athletic (Wadham Lodge) at 15.00.

In Reply To

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Feb 13, 2019, 11:04 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #7 of 7 (2853 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I can see there used to be a team with lots of over-50s playing for them, but can't find them now.

That was Tunstall Town, regular whipping (old) boys of the Staffordshire County League. The club then had an influx of younger players and won their division! They moved ground to an academy (the Stanley Matthews one from memory) and changed their name to include the academy initials as a prefix (SMTTA, I think). They've now reverted to their old name and are third in the Staffordshire Premier Division.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3