Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
sunday 3rd february 2019

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Feb 3, 2019, 7:55 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5015 views)
Shortcut
sunday 3rd february 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC WIMBLEDON v Bristol City. Women's f.a. cup. kick off: 14.02. result: 0-3. Admission: £1 for geriatrics. Programme: free. Attendance: 425

This was always going to be an exercise in keeping the score down which proved to be very successful with the tactic of not going anywhere near the opposing goal and only crossing the halfway line in emergencies doing the job for the home side. Indeed doughty defending meant Wimbledon didn't concede a goal for all of the opening 25 seconds. Considering the difference in class this was a moral victory for the Dons.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Feb 3, 2019, 8:06 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #2 of 8 (4976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] sunday 3rd february 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crawley Wasps 0 Arsenal Ladies 4
Women’s FA Cup 4th Round, Att: 1,550
Admission £5, print at home. Programme £2 for 24 pages , excellently produced and 21 pages of decent content

A ground record crowd at Tinsley Lane saw The Gunners Ladies prove far too strong for their hosts and the only real surprise was it finished at only 4. Three leagues and lots of money separate the 2 clubs and it showed to be fair, Arsenal must have had 70% possession and had it not been for dogged defending, and bad luck the score would have been much more. However, massive credit goes to Crawley Wasps. A stand alone Ladies club whose players pay to play, did themselves proud with the organisation for the day and although on the pitch they were outclassed they were far from disgraced. Arsenal led after 17 minutes with a low shot from the edge of the box by Kim Little and with 2 minutes from the break, Ruby Grant struck the first of her hat trick with a superb left footer into the top corner.
After the break Arsenal continued to pen Wasps back but had to wait until 75 minutes when Grant ran onto a through ball and slid it past the onrushing Frankie Gibbs who earlier had saved brilliantly low down to her left. Wasps did have a chance to get one back in the last ten minutes, The Gunners keeper made a good save and within a couple of minutes Grant completed her treble with a first time finish after a good pull back from the left.
The game was played in great spirit and referee Simon Finnegan will probably never have an easier 90 minutes.
Wasps home ground is that of Step 6 side Oakwood, and it catered for the crowd admirably. A small seated stand on one side was added to on the day with a portable stand housing 130 seats on the back of a trailer. The remainder is hard / soft standing.
Extra catering units were shipped in and I think it is fair to say Wasps enjoyed their day. I really wish them well as they aim for promotion to the third tier.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2019, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 8 (4775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] sunday 3rd february 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Unfortunately, a very cold night led to frozen pitches, and...

Burton & District Sunday Challenge Cup semi-final
Waterloo Athletic P-P Outwoods Warriors

@ Marston Brewery SSC, Shobnall Road, Burton-On-Trent

...was one of no doubt many Sunday morning matches that bit the dust. A layer of ice across the surface of the nearby Trent & Mersey Canal was an early clue. A shame to miss out here, as the venue is an interesting looking place - with views up onto the hills to the west, and the attractive canal towpath to the east, the pitch is raised for good drainage and is fully railed.

So instead, I caught the bus from Burton to Tutbury, then walked three miles west to the Hanbury Crater, the site of the huge munitions explosion at the RAF Fauld armament depot in November 1944. Quite a spectacular sight to see, before walking back to Tutbury and enjoying a couple of pints in the Cask & Pottle micropub on Tutbury High Street.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Feb 3, 2019, 9:32 PM)

rambler77
First Team Star

Feb 4, 2019, 3:58 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #4 of 8 (4423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] sunday 3rd february 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

LEICESTER CITY WOMEN 0-2 LONDON BEES
(Women's FA Cup)

@ Quorn FC
Adm: £5
Prog: didn't buy one

Poor game and another poor performance from the hosts.
A goal in each half saw the visitors into the next round.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Feb 4, 2019, 6:02 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4403 views)
Shortcut

....11.00 inspection passed and we were good to go in what was one of the best collective displays from a team this season...

Biggleswade FC 6 V 1 Windsor - FA Vase 5th Round
Prog 28 pages £2.00* - Att 557** - Admission £6.00

* Mentioned on the clubs very informative guide to the game on their website that they had produced 400 progs for the game and as was the case in the previous round there were piles left unsold. In addition as it was printed on high quality paper, the prog sponsors I am sure would be out of pocket

** Initallly thought that this was one for the Dubious Crowd Committee given that it was 53 more than what they declared against Stowmarket in the previous round, Now given that Stowmarket brought 250 with them and there were perhaps 70 Windsor fans. There were however more home supporters (obviously the word around the locality is that they are a very good watch) and the conclusion was that the att against Stowmarket was rather a lot lower than declared.

Almost perfect conditions, the sun had done it's work in eliminating the frost and the pitch played perfectly. Though was a bit concerned as to why the lights were turned on half way in bright sunshine through the second half, however it did become rather cloudy and murky towards the end, so probably a wise move.

Spectacular win for the hosts who during the second half rattled in all 6 goals and could have scored more. However, some of the Windsor defending against such a proficient team reflected a lower mid table Level 5 league, though on perusal of the prog it stated that the visitors had beaten Chichester in an early round and I have heard from several informed sources that they are one of the best teams in the SCL currently. The fact that in another previous round Windsor beat Uckfield also of the SCL Prem confirms my belief that this seasons SCL is particularly hapless. In a parallel universe, we would like to think that Biggleswade were not put off by Windsor's horrible green background red Union Jack shirts, which my learned colleague Gary (sometimes of Pickering) correctly described as 'looking like a tea towel' and following on from that a cheap and nasty tea towel of the variety that is sold amongst the tourist tat that many Windsor shops sell.

No such reservations about the hosts, though it did take then longer than anticipated to stamp their presence on proceedings, Although the hosts looked more in control during the first half, the best two chances fell to the visitors with Brooks-Smith angling wide and then the best chance of the half when Ingram lifted a close range opportunity over the bar after Tompkins in the home goal had dropped a corner at his feet. For Biggleswade, there was plenty of good approach play but there always seemed to be one touch too many and they lacked decisiveness in an around the penalty area.

Clear that a half time lecture from the hosts emphasising that the hosts needed to be more incisive going forward had the desired effect as they were in front within two minutes of the restart with Hunt's purposeful run down the right leading to an enticing low cross which was perfect for Inskip to dispatch into the gaping net. It took a while for the procession to commence as Windsor still were able to create chances and two important saves from Tompkins from Coyne preserved the lead. At the other end a further determined run from Hunt saw the Windsor defence retreating and he was unfortunate to see his rising shot come back off the bar.

It required a second goal for the hosts to fully assert themselves and it was a spectacular strike from Inskip again helped by a retreating iWindsor defence unleashed a perfectly struck 20 yard drive which found the net via the inside of the post, From thereon Biggleswade showed a rapier like incision going forward a third was added when Cookman's low cross reached Northfield easily converted from close range at the back post. With the hosts in full flow a fourth was quickly added with A Marsh sand wedging a drive from the corner of the penalty area over Sobte into the far corner A fifth should have arrived when Leavers latched onto a tired back pass from Baker but shot straight at Sobte, though it was not long for the fifth to arrive when Inskip took advantage of some further weary Windsor defending to send over a cross from the right and again it was a simple task this time for Northfield to control and dispatch at the far post. To conclude A Marsh's free kick through a non defending Windsor wall could only be pushed by Sobte into the path of Henebery easily converted the rebound. You had to feel a little sorry for Windsor for being so ruthlessly dispensed with in the final minutes, though they did manage a mere consolation when Stockill converted a penalty after Simpson had unnecessarily upended Gould.

Overall an emphatic win especially based on the final twenty minutes play, though I doubt in the last eight of the Vase there remains a team with such a porous defence as Windsor and who clearly lacked the ninety minute perspective that was clearly required here. Noted that the Vase Quarter Finals coincide with another Biggleswade Town home match and if drawn at home then this would mean a further Sunday fixture and against the likes of Willand, Hebburn or Cray Valley the hosts would surely find progress infinitely more difficult than they found here.

Easy journey from Kings Cross up and a quick sojourn into the town's sole GBG entry The Golden Pheasant gave us a very pleasant Holly Pup mild from Potton Brewery. Thanks to Geoff for the lift back to Romford post match and indoors at 20.20 after a Hornchurch JDW stop with the obligatory functional fodder and slightly above average ale, though of course at virtually half the price that you would expect to pay anywhere else in Hornchurch.....

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 4, 2019, 10:03 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #6 of 8 (3524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] sunday 3rd february 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League 2 - Played at AMEX Elite Performance Centre, Lancing
Brighton & Hove Albion U23 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur U23
Attendance 200 est
Print at Home Ticket £5 - Free Teamsheet

Firstly thanks to Sussexhopper for alerting me to this game which was originally listed for Monday at Crawley. Hosts won with both goals coming from Spanish born Serbia Under 19 international Bojan Radulovic, the first on 15 minutes when the visitors failed to clear a corner from the left and the ball dropped to his feet at the near post to give him an easy tap in from 2 yards out. His second goal came midway through the second half, a good finish from the left corner of the six yard box.

A nice set up on the eastern edge of Lancing just north of the railway line with multiple training pitches, two 3G's and a smaller indoor pitch under a canvas directly behind the goal of the main pitch, where the only spectator access was a cantilever stand, like a more upmarket Atcost, with 4 rows of blue seats running between the edge of each penalty area. The hills of the South Downs visible to the North West corner where an opposition spy with a strong telescope might just be able to look in on a training sessionShocked. The grand old Lancing College building is visible from the outer pitches as well as high rise buildings in Brighton and Hove.

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 7, 2019, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #7 of 8 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] sunday 3rd february 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

FA Vase 5th Round

Biggleswade FC 6 V 1 Windsor -

Att: 557

Adm: £6.00 Prog 28 pages £2.00 - badge £3 from table inside turnstile

Noted that the Vase Quarter Finals coincide with another Biggleswade Town home match and if drawn at home then this would mean a further Sunday fixture and against the likes of Willand, Hebburn or Cray Valley the hosts would surely find progress infinitely more difficult than they found here. Bad news is they are drawn away : Good News it's vs Canterbury - and Faversham are scheduled to be at home on 23rd ,so they may yet have a Sunday tie?

...not much to contribute in addition to tt's customary epic Angelic

Directions: - journey up was fairly traffic free - though a burst water-main hindered many close to the ground - I was fortunate enough to spot this 'obstacle' on the home clubs' twitter, so came off at the Langford Water Tower exit northbound on the A1(M). Weaved my way up the B659 - this confused the hell out of my SatNav though, which insisted I was still 10' away as we pulled into the ground entrance! Sly

Facilities: didn't notice many changes from one previous visit, to what was the Carlsberg Stadium for 'Town', almost exactly 10 years ago - possibly in it's first season.

Ground still has quite a new feel to a lot of it.

Must give a shout out to the Stewards who did really well marshalling the Car Parking outside the ground. Good when a club gets the extras like this right - which so many can take for granted - well done. Cool

Journey home without dramas - indoors by close to 18:30.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 25, 2019, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 8 (767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Sunday 3rd February 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Turkey, 3.Liga (Group 1) 1.30 pm

Silivrispor 1 Yomraspor 2 (H/T 0-0)

Entry – 5 TL

Crowd – c. 1,500

For the third and final match of this long weekend before flying home on Monday, I chose to go deeper into European Turkey than I had ever done before (and I have to say that it would be great to do Edirne one day, as this is extremely close to the land border with Greece) and so I opted for this match at Silivri, a town about 40 miles west of Istanbul, although there is very little countryside between the two places. Getting to Silivri by train is a non-starter, as rail services in European Turkey are currently very limited. I believe there is a slow bus from the suburbs of Istanbul’s European side which takes about two hours, but I do not know whereabouts in Istanbul you would need to catch it from. Consequently, I travelled on a long-distance bus from the Istanbul otogar, which has its own metro station. Long-distance buses from here to Silivri run roughly once every hour although their final destination is much further away and obviously this is something you need to check as the destination on the bus won’t be shown as Silivri. I booked my ticket on-line with the Metro Turzim company (this is quite easy, but not necessarily so with some other Turkish bus companies such as Kamil Koc, with whom it is much easier to book by buying a ticket with cash at any otogar where they have a desk)

I arrived in Silivri nearly three hours before the kick-off. I did not bother printing a map because it is a very straightforward walk, just continue downhill on the main road into town from the bus station until you see the stadium, which is just off the main road and close to the town centre. There is not much of interest in the town centre but the road where the stadium is located has many old photographs built into the wall along the pavement, showing Ataturk when he was leader of the country. I don’t think he had any particular connection with Silivri, but this something worth looking at to pass the time before the match. The stadium, located at the back of a spacious car park, has a fairly large main stand, perhaps seating some 1,500 and the far (east) side is also all seated but with no cover. There is grass banking behind the north goal, along with a scoreboard, but this end of the ground is closed to spectators. The seating on the far side is built into a huge bank and this continues beyond the ground’s perimeter which is marked by a simple wire fence. This enabled some people – perhaps as many as a hundred – to watch the game from outside for free.

After all the worries I had endured with buying tickets or getting in to grounds on the previous days, it was a relief to be able to buy a paper ticket this time without any hassle. The match was quite an entertaining one, even if the first goal did not arrive until the 76th minute. It was the visitors who had scored that goal against the run of play, and the home side equalized in the 87th minute before Yomraspor snatched a winner with the last action of the game, a header from a corner, with the full-time whistle being blown as the players were celebrating. The referee was jeered off the field, possibly because of this, although the home side had only themselves to blame for not making better use of all the chances they had in the first half. The coach journey back to Istanbul was notable for the fact that the police stopped it at a checkpoint and collected all the ID cards and passports of those on board for a routine check, before handing them back about ten minutes later. This is something which, according to the foreign travel advice section of the gov.uk website, should be expected by anyone visiting Turkey.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3